IGNORED

El Capitan has arrived

REShaman

Dear All:

I am presently downloading El Capitan after Safari 9.0. It's arrived. I hope it's a good capitan.

Best,

Richard

Thanks for the info Richard. I'm going to follow you, although common sense tells you to wait for at least the v.1 of a new operating system. But common sense can just shut up.

Thanks for the info Richard. I'm going to follow you, although common sense tells you to wait for at least the v.1 of a new operating system. But common sense can just shut up.

You read my mind. Could not have expressed it differently. 6GBs of excellence? Please Dear Lord...

Best,

Richard

Looks like we're not the only ones having this idea. My AppStore currently tells me I need to plan for 8h and 17min download time...

The App Store is not apt. It took about 30 minutes or so. I am up and running. Interestingly Mail opened (I employ Office For Mac 2011) and requested my passwords for my email accounts. I entered them and they were rejected. I opened Outlook for Mac and all my accounts are functioning.

Haven't explored El Capitan yet. But so far nothing but Mail has stopped me. Fingers, eyes, and other appendages crossed.

Now my Mac Mini is taking a lifetime to download. Hmmmm.

Enjoy El Capitan and the music,

Richard

It's early, but I haven't encountered anything that would give me pause. The only incompatibility to my surprise was a program called DefaultFolderX, like a Finder program but better, that requires an upgrade they haven't produced yet. Surprised the developers weren't ahead of the curve. But everything I am experiencing is smooth; and I have a good feeling about El Capitan.

If only my Mac Mini which is connected via Wireless to my Time Capsule AC or/to an Apple Express/ethernet. But usually downloads are so much faster. Perhaps, downloading OSX El Capitan for my iMac and Mac Mini at the same time even though my router is an AC...and I was all set to finish ripping the remainder of the DG Complete Collection 25CD Box Set for Itzhak Perlman and start to rip the 77CD Warner collection for Itzhak Perlman which arrived in today's mail. It's huge. I am excited. Timing...

Best,

Richard

It's early, but I haven't encountered anything that would give me pause. The only incompatibility to my surprise was a program called DefaultFolderX, like a Finder program but better, that requires an upgrade they haven't produced yet. Surprised the developers weren't ahead of the curve. But everything I am experiencing is smooth; and I have a good feeling about El Capitan.

If only my Mac Mini which is connected via Wireless to my Time Capsule AC or/to an Apple Express/ethernet. But usually downloads are so much faster. Perhaps, downloading OSX El Capitan for my iMac and Mac Mini at the same time even though my router is an AC...and I was all set to finish ripping the remainder of the DG Complete Collection 25CD Box Set for Itzhak Perlman and start to rip the 77CD Warner collection for Itzhak Perlman which arrived in today's mail. It's huge. I am excited. Timing...

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

For future reference, you can download an installer to one computer then copy the installer to any other computer instead of downloading to each computer. In the case of an OS X installer, make a duplicate of the installer (it downloads into Applications folder) before allowing the installation to proceed because the installer will automatically vanish after running. Also, you'll be able to Google instructions for creating an OS X installer USB thumb drive if you would find that convenient.

I've been running the beta of 10.11 and then 10.11.1 on a separate partition on my mac mini.

I haven't run into any problems.

I also just installed the normal (non-beta) distribution on my iMac.

Menu meters no longer works. (A non-free version, iStat menu, has a beta that does, so if you can't live without that kind of thing, and are willing to pay, you can get that functionality back).

I had to turn my iCloud stuff back on to get my address book back. (WTF?)

Dirac's AU plugin works fine. I haven't tested their kernel extension.

The update didn't clobber X11 for a change. I did have to re-install the command-line compiler and other tools.

I'm pretty sure this is not your Mini's fault but the Apple's servers are hitting their limits with gazillions of people downloading in parallel. You were just ahead of the pack on your first computer.

Right now the app store still gives me 10h of download time.

Recommendation to everybody else, just wait a day.

Hi Richard,

For future reference, you can download an installer to one computer then copy the installer to any other computer instead of downloading to each computer. In the case of an OS X installer, make a duplicate of the installer (it downloads into Applications folder) before allowing the installation to proceed because the installer will automatically vanish after running. Also, you'll be able to Google instructions for creating an OS X installer USB thumb drive if you would find that convenient.

Hello goldsdad,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I did not know that. And was always concerned that Apple downloaded different iterations depending on the computer downloading to. Appreciate the information for next time.

Best,

Richard

I've been running the beta of 10.11 and then 10.11.1 on a separate partition on my mac mini.

I haven't run into any problems.

I also just installed the normal (non-beta) distribution on my iMac.

Menu meters no longer works. (A non-free version, iStat menu, has a beta that does, so if you can't live without that kind of thing, and are willing to pay, you can get that functionality back).

I had to turn my iCloud stuff back on to get my address book back. (WTF?)

Dirac's AU plugin works fine. I haven't tested their kernel extension.

The update didn't clobber X11 for a change. I did have to re-install the command-line compiler and other tools.

Bill,

Thank you for that information. Yesterday? I downloaded iStat Menu's latest build which I was given notice about and thought it was intended to accomodate the coming Upgrade. My iStat Menus are working for me. Or am I making this up? Anyway your feedback is appreciated from my perspectives.

Best,

Richard

Bill,

Thank you for that information. Yesterday? I downloaded iStat Menu's latest build which I was given notice about and thought it was intended to accomodate the coming Upgrade. My iStat Menus are working for me. Or am I making this up? Anyway your feedback is appreciated from my perspectives.

Best,

Richard

You downloaded more recently than I did. They probably released it officially before the 10.11 release, just to make things smoother.

Hi Richard,

I'm going to make the plunge as well. Is this a safe/OK process to use for downloading onto a flash drive using Discmaker X

This seems like a convenient way to install/keep the install should something go amiss or need to reapply.

My rig

I'm going to make the plunge as well. Is this a safe/OK process to use for downloading onto a flash drive using Discmaker X

This seems like a convenient way to install/keep the install should something go amiss or need to reapply.

Discmaker X most likely is totally benign since it is also recommended by Ars Technica and elsewhere, but I would feel most secure by using the Terminal command method on the page you linked.

I'm pretty sure this is not your Mini's fault but the Apple's servers are hitting their limits with gazillions of people downloading in parallel. You were just ahead of the pack on your first computer.

Right now the app store still gives me 10h of download time.

Recommendation to everybody else, just wait a day.

Sometimes you get on a busy "pipe". You can stop and restart the download.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Discmaker X most likely is totally benign since it is also recommended by Ars Technica and elsewhere, but I would feel most secure by using the Terminal command method on the page you linked.

Diskmaker X works. Reformat the usb key first.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Just to stay consistent, and pleased with the upgrade from Yosemite which I never cared for, I continue to employ El Capitan with no impediments. Reading posts at other thread re issues. I rather like EC. It may be early for a thorough, comprehensive assessment. I hope EC improves my experience with Yosemite.

One issue, a jumping mouse cursor still persists but less frequently. Still, once is enough to annoy and create extra and unnecessary steps to correct in the first place. Other than mice vice, Good to go!

Best,

Richard

I continue to employ El Capitan with no impediments.

Last night I have installed El Capitan too. However in contrast to Richard I have come across some points that restrict my joy.

1. So far I have been a fan of improving SQ by removing services. With EC for the first time I have not been successful to do so. When trying to get rid of one a message pops up saying that it is not allowed to alter the OS X. What a pity!

I would be glad if someone reading these lines could show me a way what to do.

2. For a long time I have been fond of using 2 RAM disks, one for copying music files to, the other for a copy of iTunes. Unfortunately with EC this last copy can no longer be opened. What a pity too!

Hopefully Jud and/or Le Concombre Masqué can help me.

3. Since its first release I have successfully used the CAD script to improve SQ. You can still set it to work but activity monitor shows constant background activity. Every second or so a little peak shows up making the line look like saw teeth. So I deactivated the CAD script hoping that Scott will update it in the near future.

Regards,

Uwe

Last night I have installed El Capitan too. However in contrast to Richard I have come across some points that restrict my joy.

1. So far I have been a fan of improving SQ by removing services. With EC for the first time I have not been successful to do so. When trying to get rid of one a message pops up saying that it is not allowed to alter the OS X. What a pity!

2. For a long time I have been fond of using 2 RAM disks, one for copying music files to, the other for a copy of iTunes. Unfortunately with EC this last copy can no longer be opened. What a pity too!

Hopefully Jud and/or Le Concombre Masqué can help me.

3. Since its first release I have successfully used the CAD script to improve SQ. You can still set it to work but activity monitor shows constant background activity. Every second or so a little peak shows up making the line look like saw teeth. So I deactivated the CAD script hoping that Scott will update it in the near future.

Regards,

Uwe

Hello Uwe,

Another member, Bill?, posted that with OSX 10.11, El Capitan, making changes to the OSX is verboten. Yikes! or did I read that in an article by Breen at MacWorld. In any case, I haven't got that far so I appreciate the confirmation you received when you made the effort. What is the future for Apple customers? Perhaps this is their approach/solution to lowering the need for AppleCare when customers implement or change things that they have to contend with. I am not taking a position either way. But I do not recall any instance where I broke something that Apple did not break and put me to the task of asking for support from AppleCare. Some of this feels ominous though I can understand different perspectives. What's next in the control department?

Thank you for the post.

Best,

Richard

Try disabling SIP: How to modify System Integrity Protection in El Capitan | Macworld