IGNORED

El Capitan has arrived

REShaman

Richard - I hope what you need will be released shortly.

Hey, as an aside I followed your path and got a JS-2, it's now powering my Mac Mini and Regen.

Fortunately I have not given my Mac Mini a tumble. Though several years back I did permanently disable the IR input (oops) fortunately I have no need for it. This was during my first foray at disassembly when at the time I was adding a second HD which I have since removed. I have opened that bad boy about 15 times since than for one reason or another.

Life is still grand.

Still loving Roon too.

All the best and happy piano to you.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I am a service tech and 7/10 a spinning wheel is the beginning signs of drive failure. The rate of failure is high on a drive that's 3 years and older.

Hello jazthedj,

Perhaps in some cases (7/10) you may be on to something. But I believe baddog's experience and assessment in this case is the better explanation. Ironically, my 3TB Fusion Drive for my iMac mid 2013 was in the process of failing. Fortunately, I was made aware of the impending failure and succeeded in persuading a Senior AppleCare support person (it took two attempts supported by logs that were ultimately accepted by Apple) to arrange for my iMac to be repaired by a third party delegated to do the work by Apple and the Fusion Drive was replaced with a brand new Fusion Drive, several months ago. Some time later, Apple acknowledged the failure of certain Fusion Drives and published an offer to apply for a replacement.

Thank you for your input in any case.

Best,

Richard

PS

Sorry for the OT.

Just thought I'd mention it. I have yet to see any issues with office and El Cap. Since it only been a couple of days and mostly sorting out issues with other software.

Fair enough, didn't mean to impune your comment. Apologies for that.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Just thought I'd mention it. I have yet to see any issues with office and El Cap. Since it only been a couple of days and mostly sorting out issues with other software.

I appreciated that you did, in case that thought got lost in my reply. I understand what you offered in the way of support. So thank you.

Best,

Richard

Richard, the one-time purchase recently became available in two 2016 versions for Mac - with and without Outlook.

Buy Microsoft Office Home & Student 2016 for Mac - Microsoft Store

Buy Office Home & Business 2016 for Mac - Microsoft Store

Hello again, goldsdad,

Timing!

How curious. Thank you. I visited Microsoft and Amazon.com a short time ago and nothing. Now, Voila!

With appreciation,

Richard

Update: Just purchased and downloaded from Microsoft and installed Office For Mac For Home & Business 2016. A little wonky to install. But eventually, I am there. Importing from Outlook 2011 was fairly brusque.

So far so good. UI/UX seems fine. Not quite exciting as roon's impression on my senses when first installed. You know, the "Wow" appeal that lingers and lingers. But perhaps I expected too much from Microsoft graphically. As long as it serves me by enhancing my Email experience, that's the ticket to the show I want. Microsoft's Word cued me. Outlook took some more clicking and waiting and clicking and wondering. I almost called Microsoft support before Outlook finally initiated. Now, I much happier with Outlook for 2016.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get here with information about and access to and what to look out for. El Capitan and Office For Mac 2016 seem to work well together. If only I could solve the mouse cursor jumping elsewhere and inserting what I am typing in random positions on the "page" instead of where I positioned as I type. It's random in the frequency of jumping. Was hoping this would cease. Has Apple screwed up Bluetooth's utility with these annoying behaviors? Others report the same problem so I am in company and not experiencing something peculiar to my system.

Still, the purchase at a healthy cost, appears to be well worth the price of admission. Beach Balls? -- we don't have no stink'n beach balls!

Best,

Richard

Thanks for the heads up here re: Outlook on Office for Mac 2011. My Mini used exclusively for music is not my work/personal computer that has Outlook so there would not have been a conflict. Still good to know. Surprising that I had to come to a music web site to find out about the conflict. I will hold off on the laptop upgrade to Yosemite until I get the new Office up and running.

Richard I do recall an announcement on the stand alone Office download over on Mac Rumors, not sure if it is available for others looking. Thanks all.

Help! What the hell has happened to Safari on my Mac Mini with the upgrade to El Capitan and Safari 9.0?

On Safari > Preferences > Privacy there was a ton of websites including ones I have never visited, tracking ones, advertising ones, etc., so I changed "Cookies and Website Data" from "Allow from Websites I visit" to "Always Block"

After doing that 37 websites have stored cookies and other data only moments after I deleted everything. Including Facebook and Twitter and I'm haven't been a member of either one in many, many years. See pictures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21307[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21308[/ATTACH]

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I keep my Privacy tab clean and have never had most of those sites listed there before. I'm afraid to do anything on the internet until this is fixed. I usually have between 5 to 10 websites that I actually have visited listed as having cookies stored in my Privacy tab.

In the past few days I have deleted all website data, perhaps over 25 times and the crap keeps coming back, anyone know how to get rid of this crap for good other than giving up the internet?

Hi, something's wrong for me, too. Although "Always block" does block all cookies for me (but that's useless because I do need cookies to keep me logged into sites such as computeraudiophile.com and developer.apple.com), my preferred "Allow from current website only" is resulting in loads of undesirable cookies being stored when they should not be.

Edit: also see safari 9 not blocking any cookies - Ars Technica OpenForum

Edit 2: OK, I've looked more carefully. Cookie blocking is working correctly, but "other website data" is being cached for all third-party sites regardless of the chosen privacy setting for controlling "cookies and website data".

Update: Just purchased and downloaded from Microsoft and installed Office For Mac For Home & Business 2016. A little wonky to install. But eventually, I am there. Importing from Outlook 2011 was fairly brusque.

So far so good. UI/UX seems fine. Not quite exciting as roon's impression on my senses when first installed. You know, the "Wow" appeal that lingers and lingers. But perhaps I expected too much from Microsoft graphically. As long as it serves me by enhancing my Email experience, that's the ticket to the show I want. Microsoft's Word cued me. Outlook took some more clicking and waiting and clicking and wondering. I almost called Microsoft support before Outlook finally initiated. Now, I much happier with Outlook for 2016.

Thank you to everyone who helped me get here with information about and access to and what to look out for. El Capitan and Office For Mac 2016 seem to work well together. If only I could solve the mouse cursor jumping elsewhere and inserting what I am typing in random positions on the "page" instead of where I positioned as I type. It's random in the frequency of jumping. Was hoping this would cease. Has Apple screwed up Bluetooth's utility with these annoying behaviors? Others report the same problem so I am in company and not experiencing something peculiar to my system.

Still, the purchase at a healthy cost, appears to be well worth the price of admission. Beach Balls? -- we don't have no stink'n beach balls!

Best,

Richard

I hope it's not a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire:

Microsoft acknowledges Office 2016-OS X El Capitan crashes but lacks ETA for fix | Macworld

Over 60 posts about the new OSX, but this, the only one even mentioning SQ. Isn't this an audio forum?

OS X, 10.11 sounds identical to 10.10 and 10.9 and 10.6, at least to my ears.

I agree. Unless you believe that increasing the number of background processes and threads running could theoretically degrade sound quality. In that case, each new, increasingly bloated OSX update might possibly sound worse.

That's good to know. I hate updating OS or software and try to postpone it until it's unavoidable...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Well, since both Yosemite and El Capitan focus on speed and energy management we are now seeing more slimmed down and effective updates.

Going from 10.9 to 10.10 was for me a major step in SQ. Since I haven’t switched back to Yosemite I can’t make a judgment just yet.

A tip when updating: don’t log in with your Apple ID. Now Apple app won’t not talk to Apple’s servers. Less background activity.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Thanks for the heads up here re: Outlook on Office for Mac 2011. My Mini used exclusively for music is not my work/personal computer that has Outlook so there would not have been a conflict. Still good to know. Surprising that I had to come to a music web site to find out about the conflict. I will hold off on the laptop upgrade to Yosemite until I get the new Office up and running.

Richard I do recall an announcement on the stand alone Office download over on Mac Rumors, not sure if it is available for others looking. Thanks all.

Hello Booster MPS,

Just discovered that Microsoft has defeated the use of AppleScripts which allows a program I employed for years, SpamSieve, to set rules and deal with Spam and train what emails are good and what are Spam. Those rules use AppleScripts. Outlook 2016 no longer supports AppleScripts. However, there is a work around -- doing it manually. This is a bit OT as it is not El Capitan's limitation but rather Microsoft's decision. C'est la vie.

Best,

Richard

I agree. Unless you believe that increasing the number of background processes and threads running could theoretically degrade sound quality. In that case, each new, increasingly bloated OSX update might possibly sound worse.

When I max out all 8 processors compiling something huge, while listening to music, I cannot hear when the compile job completes. That is far more of a demand than what the OS puts on the computer resources.

The absolute demand on the processors by the various OS X background processes is rather minimal, and the launchd system is designed to minimize the demand by only running stuff on demand (which is the reason why many of these optimization scripts don't do anything). The processes I like to turn off are the acutely annoying ones, like the Notification Center.

Hi, something's wrong for me, too. Although "Always block" does block all cookies for me (but that's useless because I do need cookies to keep me logged into sites such as computeraudiophile.com and developer.apple.com), my preferred "Allow from current website only" is resulting in loads of undesirable cookies being stored when they should not be.

Edit: also see safari 9 not blocking any cookies - Ars Technica OpenForum

Edit 2: OK, I've looked more carefully. Cookie blocking is working correctly, but "other website data" is being cached for all third-party sites regardless of the chosen privacy setting for controlling "cookies and website data".

Thanks Goldsdad! I'm glad to hear I am not alone with this problem. Since the problem is with Safari 9, I'm trying out the Opera browser.

UPDATE: I just checked the cookies and website data for Opera and it has only the sites I visited, just like Safari used to. This may become my new web browser.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I hope it's not a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire:

Microsoft acknowledges Office 2016-OS X El Capitan crashes but lacks ETA for fix | Macworld

Hello goldsdad,

To quote a much treasured baseball player, manager, and quip artist of one liners, the recently departed Yogi Berra: It' déjà-vu all over again. My experience over the years with Microsoft is that "we" are the beta testers as often as "They" need us to be. The beach balls have subsided. The Apple Scripts I employed in Outlook are now broken in Outlook. It seems to be a routine, I will continue to go through. I am sure they'll sort this out. In the meantime...

Best,

Richard

I'm not trying to be difficult, but why not use Apple's mail? (I just deleted outlook after the install.)

nIf you post was meant for my benefit, I am Not experiencing you as difficult. I have been using Outlook for decades. Got used to it and it's impediments. Tried using Mail (not the latest) and preferred Outlook to Mail. Perhaps, I ought to give Mail a go and get acquainted with the latest version if only for a recent comparison.

Best,

Richard