IGNORED

Chromecast Audio (Analog and Digital Outputs) $35

Just got a Remedy. The big problem is that it can't handle 24/96 output from the Chromecast - music is severely distorted. It's fine with 16/44.1, 24/44.1 and 24/88.2.

Update: Duke40 kindly loaned me his Remedy (and a Lifatec cable). The problem was still there with his Remedy and cable. Also, my Remedy had no problem with 96kHz files streamed from his Auralic Aries. So - there seems to be some more general problem between the Chromecast and the Remedy where 96kHz files are concerned. To re-iterate, I have had no problem sending 96kHz files from the Chromecast direct to two different DACs.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Update: Duke40 kindly loaned me his Remedy (and a Lifatec cable). The problem was still there with his Remedy and cable. Also, my Remedy had no problem with 96kHz files streamed from his Auralic Aries. So - there seems to be some more general problem between the Chromecast and the Remedy where 96kHz files are concerned. To re-iterate, I have had no problem sending 96kHz files from the Chromecast direct to two different DACs.

I don't have enough 24/96 albums to test. I will note that with the Remedy in line streaming from my phone to Chromecast Audio using BubbleUPnP this 24/96 track plays perfectly with my Audio-GD REFERENCE 5 DAC . (The info pic is from Shuttle playback on the phone only to indicate bit rate)

1455491312234.jpg

1455491330042.jpg

I don't have enough 24/96 albums to test. I will note that with the Remedy in line streaming from my phone to Chromecast Audio using BubbleUPnP this 24/96 track plays perfectly with my Audio-GD REFERENCE 5 DAC . (The info pic is from Shuttle playback on the phone only to indicate bit rate)

Interesting. I just tried streaming a local 24/96 flac file from my phone, using BubbleUPnP and still had the distortion. I am fairly sure it has nothing to do with the DAC because the light on the Remedy flickers slightly when it receives 96kHz from the Chromecast and also I have tried it with two different DACs. Does your DAC indicate what frequency it is receiving?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Interesting. I just tried streaming a local 24/96 flac file from my phone, using BubbleUPnP and still had the distortion. I am fairly sure it has nothing to do with the DAC because the light on the Remedy flickers slightly when it receives 96kHz from the Chromecast and also I have tried it with two different DACs. Does your DAC indicate what frequency it is receiving?

No unfortunately not.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Guys - Here's an article that contains info for using JRiver Media Center to stream to Chromecast Audio devices, but perfect up through 24/96.

Computer Audiophile - Streaming Around The Globe Or Around The Home With JRiver Media Center

Just to be clear, it's the BubbleUPnP Server helper application that's providing the JRiver Media Center's built-in standard UPnP/DLNA control point with an emulated standard UPnP/DLNA renderer for the Chromecast Audio device, thus enabling JMC to control the streaming of lossless files up to 24/96 by the CCA (via the UPnP renderer emulator). This has been possible since a recent update to the BubbleUPnP Server application, I mentioned in an earlier post:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/chromecast-audio-analog-and-digital-outputs-%2435-25959/index9.html#post506828

Interestingly, not only does the BubbleUPnP Server application allow you to use the Chromecast Audio devices with any standard UPnP/DLNA control point, so not just JRiver's built-in one, it also allows you to use the CCA with any OpenHome control point, such as the Linn Kazoo & Lumin apps. Hence the BubbleUPnP Server can give the CCA direct access to TIDAL & Qobuz online streaming services with your favoured OpenHome controller app.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

sorry if i missed a post on this thread related to my question :

does someone use a CCA in his car ?

is the SQ better thru the CCA or directly by connecting a smartphone to the car radio using a minijack cable using the phone analogue minijack output ?

to see what i mean :

standard config :

phone analogue output (minijack) <------cable----> car radio analog input

CCA config :

phone with tethering ON <- - - - wifi - - - - ->CCA analog ouput (minijack) <------cable----> car radio analog input

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

hi,

sorry if i missed a post on this thread related to my question :

does someone use a CCA in his car ?

is the SQ better thru the CCA or directly by connecting a smartphone to the car radio using a minijack cable using the phone analogue minijack output ?

to see what i mean :

standard config :

phone analogue output (minijack) <------cable----> car radio analog input

CCA config :

phone with tethering ON <- - - - wifi - - - - ->CCA analog ouput (minijack) <------cable----> car radio analog input

I guess it's a matter of whether the onboard DAC in your phone is better than the DAC in the CCA. Which phone?

- Einstein

Which phone?

Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

I guess all Samsung phones use the same DAC (if there is difference in DAC it may be between low range vs high range of product mix). Then, I guess differences may be more important between brands (Apple vs Samsung vs etc), rather than within the product mix of a manufacturer.

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

• 3 months later...
Not immediately noticeable but I haven't done any careful comparison. Relying on Toslink I would expect only a small difference if any. It does make a difference with the video Chromecast.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm new to the Chromecast party. I'm planning to use a GCA or GCV with my AV receiver, and I've been reading through these posts about using a linear power supply. My receiver (Denon AVR-x4100w) has a USB port that will power the Chromecast, and I was just wondering how this onboard power source might compare with a cheap LPS and the switching power supplies that come with the units. Worse than both? Somewhere in between?

Just a note music fan. Dar's Darko mentioned the new IFI Spdif purifier to give Chrome cast a boost. Not sure about USB power but they do bang on about power...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Darko's poor impression of Chromecast Audio came from using the Tidal app on his iPhone, a very unprofessional review IMO. Try it with the 7Digital app, it sounds great.

Darko's poor impression of Chromecast Audio came from using the Tidal app on his iPhone, a very unprofessional review IMO. Try it with the 7Digital app, it sounds great.

Mr Darko published a review of the Chromecast Audio some months ago which was favourable, but contained a number of inaccuracies, in particular that the Chromecast supported gapless playback. I pointed this out in the comments and received several angry and aggressive emails from him. It was obvious to me that he had not actually tested the Chromecast under some of the conditions that he had described. The article has since disappeared from his website.

- Einstein

Any speculation as to why you hear such large differences between two bit perfect mobile apps sending audio over a wireless connection?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Any speculation as to why you hear such large differences between two bit perfect mobile apps sending audio over a wireless connection?

Turns out i was listening to music downloaded to my iphone via 7digital and streaming via Tidal so it was the downloads that sound better. When comparing both apps with downloads they sound more similar.

Turns out i was listening to music downloaded to my iphone via 7digital and streaming via Tidal so it was the downloads that sound better. When comparing both apps with downloads they sound more similar.

Did some more listening and although similar sounding, there is a different flavour, 7Digital being more laidback/refined to Tidals more upfront/boppy sound. Tidal's files are ALAC and 7Digital's are FLAC but we don't want to go there do we...

• 2 weeks later...
Pest Buy (Amazon's Showroom) has these on sale for $30 at the moment. I just grabbed one. Set up was very simple and straightforward.

The best value ever in audio IMO, especially when powered by a phone battery pack.

The other cool thing I found is you can cast the audio out from a windows pc/mac using this free download: https://github.com/acidhax/chromecast-audio-stream

Which means you can use your favourite media player, although couldn't get HQP to work yet.

Thanks. Just got it installed and working. Works much better than Airplay on OS X.

Apart from local streaming, and the likes of Tidal and Spotify also do check out iHeartRadio and Slacker Radio apps. Some good music and curated lists as well as AT40 on iHeartRadio.

Also, a good Toslink cable to an external DAC (I'm using Lifatec and recommend it) works out much better.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Apart from local streaming, and the likes of Tidal and Spotify also do check out iHeartRadio and Slacker Radio apps. Some good music and curated lists as well as AT40 on iHeartRadio.

Also, a good Toslink cable to an external DAC (I'm using Lifatec and recommend it) works out much better.

Have you tried powering the CCA with a power pack and listening via analog out (with the 'full dynamic range' setting on)? Would be interested in a comparison with your DAC. TIA!