IGNORED

Chromecast Audio (Analog and Digital Outputs) $35

The latest version of BubbleUPnP Server (0.9-update13) provides both standard UPnP/DLNA renderer and OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) renderer emulators for Chromecast Audio. This means that with it the Chromecast Audio can now be used with any OpenHome controller, such as the Linn Kazoo and LUMÏN apps, as well as any standard UPnP/DLNA controller:

BubbleUPnP Server

One advantage of OpenHome is that the renderer keeps a copy of the current playlist, allowing it to carry on playing the rest of the music tracks on the playlist should the OpenHome controller app be closed. OpenHome also provides direct access to the TIDAL & Qobuz online music streaming services in addition to the more normal streaming of music files from UPnP/DLNA media servers on the local network.

For those not familiar with the BubbleUPnP Server application, it provides helper functions to assist in UPnP network file and Chromecast streaming in general and also optionally provides special enhancements to the similarly named (but not to be confused with) BubbleUPnP Android app. The BubbleUPnP Server can be installed on any computer and most NASs that you have the 32-bit Java Runtime Environment installed on. The majority of users conveniently install & run it on the same device that contains their UPnP/DLNA media server.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but what controlling apps for iOS are recommended? My QNAP server runs minimserver and asset (and other DLNA as well) but I'm unsure about the casting app to use.
I believe there's currently only one control app that can provide the bridge between UPnP/DLNA media servers and the Chromecast audio, the BubbleUPnP app. Unfortunately, it's only available on Android.

If you must use iOS for controlling the Chromecast Audio, then you cannot currently use any old UPnP/DLNA supporting media server to provide the music files. Your best bet is to use the Plex server method, mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The Plex server does also happen to be a UPnP/DLNA media server as well. However, that side of the Plex server is not involved with its Chromecast support, as you can only use it with either the Plex app or via a web browser app for that.

Another method which should allow controlling of the Chromecast Audio on iOS, in a similar way to using the Plex server, would be to use the Logitech Media Server instead to provide the music files on the network and install the CastBridge/squeeze2cast plugin on it:

Announce: CastBridge = integrate Chromecast players with LMS (squeeze2cast)

The CastBridge LMS plugin works by providing Squeezebox emulation, making any Chromemcast Audio device appear as a Squeezebox streamer to LMS, thus allowing it to be controlled by any of the Squeezebox controller apps. That would include controlling it from a web browser app as well a 'proper' Squeezebox controller apps, such as iPeng for iOS.

I thought it best to revisit my recent reply to @jjraffin on the subject of iOS control apps recommended to use for casting to the Chromecast Audio with music files sourced from a UPnP/DLNA media server running on a QNAP NAS, given the update to the BubbleUPnP Server I mentioned above.

If you install the BubbleUPnP Server on the QNAP NAS, you'll be able to use any UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome controller app on iOS to cast to the CA, including the often recommended (for OpenHome streaming) Linn Kazoo and LUMÏN apps.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Would you say the Remedy is a better value improvement than a LPS?

Yes. I could hear the improvement immediately with the Remedy. I think you'd have to work at it to hear the improvement from a power supply. Now I'm using $20 alternative power supplies not $200 ones, but I'm skeptical that spending that makes any sense with a Toslink output.

Just got a Remedy. The big problem is that it can't handle 24/96 output from the Chromecast - music is severely distorted. It's fine with 16/44.1, 24/44.1 and 24/88.2.

Do you have another device other than the Chromecast to test the 24/96 optical or coax Spdif 24/96 input to the Remedy? I can't playback hirez through the Chromecast even without the Remedy but I understand from Chris that it depends on levels of compression. I just don't have enough material.

Do you have another device other than the Chromecast to test the 24/96 optical or coax Spdif 24/96 input to the Remedy?

Unfortunately, no.

I can't playback hirez through the Chromecast even without the Remedy but I understand from Chris that it depends on levels of compression. I just don't have enough material.
That's interesting. Are you referring to dynamic range compression? Has Chris discussed this in a public part of the forum?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Thanks. I ask because I have tried a number of hacks to get around the problem. Sometimes, re-compressing a FLAC file works, but not always. Interestingly, I have used SOX to create a copy of a 24/96 file, downsampled to 44.1kHz and it still won't play. This is the only instance I have found where the Chromecast wouldn't play a 44.1kHz file. I am still unclear if the problem lies in the file header or the actual music data.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I suppose this is where the BubbleUPnP method of casting audio files to the CCA has a bit of an advantage, as you can use a UPnP media Server, eg MinimServer, that can transcode all the FLAC files to WAV, maintaining the original resolution and of course leaving the FLAC files untouched.

Further to that, if you use the BubbleUPnP Server helper application (as opposed to the BubbleUPnP Android app) you can do all the above, plus automatic transcoding of any greater than 24bit/96kHz file to 24bit/96kHz and it also allows you to use any UPnP controller app, both standard UPnP and OpenHome (so you don't have to use the BubbleUPnP Android app).

Using an OpenHome supporting controller app, such as Linn Kazoo (iOS), LUMIN (iOS), BubbleDS Next (Android) and BubbleUPnP (Android), also means you can have direct access to the TIDAL & Qobuz streaming services for the Chromecast Audio.

-- Jo Cox

I suppose this is where the BubbleUPnP method of casting audio files to the CA has a bit of an advantage, as you can use a UPnP media Server, eg MinimServer, that can transcode all the FLAC files to WAV, maintaining the original resolution and of course leaving the FLAC files untouched.

Further to that, if you use the BubbleUPnP Server helper application (as opposed to the BubbleUPnP Android app) you can do all the above, plus automatic transcoding of any greater than 24bit/96kHz file to 24bit/96kHz and it also allows you to use any UPnP controller app, both standard UPnP and OpenHome (so you don't have to use the BubbleUPnP Android app).

Except for the problem that CCA resamples WAV files to 48 kHz if the are over 44.1.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

No, only the Chromecast (video) devices do, not the Chromecast Audio ones. There was originally an issue with the CCA maximum resolution, but that was corrected by a firmware update a while ago.

-- Jo Cox

How did the sound change with the Remedy?

I see they are discounted a bit now so I might pick one up.

Well there was a slight improvement in separation of singers and instruments, but nothing I would get too excited about. I think it depends a lot on the DAC you already have. Mine already sounds pretty good. I'll probably send it back, given its problem with 96/24.

- Einstein

The improvement in sound quality which I experienced switching to the CCA far exceeded that from playing hi res files or incorporating the Remedy. I'm quite happy to stick with 44.1kHz files for now. Fortunately, the vast bulk of my hi-res files came from Qobuz or eclassical, both of which allow you to re-download past purchases, including in lower resolution.

- Einstein

Well there was a slight improvement in separation of singers and instruments, but nothing I would get too excited about. I think it depends a lot on the DAC you already have. Mine already sounds pretty good. I'll probably send it back, given its problem with 96/24.

I'm sure it is system dependent, I'm very pleased with the Remedy /CCA combo. Strings that sounded steely sound much more natural in my system.

Just for the record, it does appear that the Chromecast's problem with some 24/96 files lies in the music data, rather than the file header. I found that even if I converted a flac file to uncompressed .wav and then converted that file back to flac, the resulting flac file still would not play. However, converting to flac and specifying minimal compression in the flac encoder has resulted in playable files for the seven previously refractory files on which I tried it. This is alluded to in the link which jeffmudrick posted earlier:

https://code.google.com/p/google-cast-sdk/issues/detail?id=708

One of the posters hypothesises that the combination of a hi res file and having to decompress a more highly compressed flac file on the fly simply overwhelms the Chromecast.

- Einstein