IGNORED

Chromecast Audio (Analog and Digital Outputs) $35

IMO a NAD 3020 is the most basic best option and has the right inputs. You don't want to use the CCA's DAC. Please start a new thread so you get more replies and we don't go off topic.

Agreed. The Chromecast Audio has so much potential, it's a shame to waste that by not using a decent quality external DAC.

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but what controlling apps for iOS are recommended? My QNAP server runs minimserver and asset (and other DLNA as well) but I'm unsure about the casting app to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google says Lumin or 8Player may work.
Not sure what you looked up on Google, but those two apps certainly do not provide the bridge between UPnP/DLNA streaming and Chromecast technologies. They are just intended to be used with UPnP/DLNA streamers and UPnP/DLNA media servers. In fact the Lumin app only supports OpenHome, an extension of UPnP, so cannot normally be used with a standard UPnP streamers, only OpenHome ones (though should be ok with all UPnP/DLNA media servers).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but what controlling apps for iOS are recommended? My QNAP server runs minimserver and asset (and other DLNA as well) but I'm unsure about the casting app to use.
I believe there's currently only one control app that can provide the bridge between UPnP/DLNA media servers and the Chromecast audio, the BubbleUPnP app. Unfortunately, it's only available on Android.

If you must use iOS for controlling the Chromecast Audio, then you cannot currently use any old UPnP/DLNA supporting media server to provide the music files. Your best bet is to use the Plex server method, mentioned elsewhere in this thread. The Plex server does also happen to be a UPnP/DLNA media server as well. However, that side of the Plex server is not involved with its Chromecast support, as you can only use it with either the Plex app or via a web browser app for that.

Another method which should allow controlling of the Chromecast Audio on iOS, in a similar way to using the Plex server, would be to use the Logitech Media Server instead to provide the music files on the network and install the CastBridge/squeeze2cast plugin on it:

Announce: CastBridge = integrate Chromecast players with LMS (squeeze2cast)

The CastBridge LMS plugin works by providing Squeezebox emulation, making any Chromemcast Audio device appear as a Squeezebox streamer to LMS, thus allowing it to be controlled by any of the Squeezebox controller apps. That would include controlling it from a web browser app as well a 'proper' Squeezebox controller apps, such as iPeng for iOS.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The BubbleUPnP controller Android app can be used with any UPnP/DLNA media server, so you're right this would include the Plex server since one of the Plex server's functions is to provide access to its media files via UPnP/DLNA. Sorry for any confusion, it's just that iOS was specified by @jjraffin and of course the BubbleUPnP app is Android only.

BTW, the reason why you can't search the Plex server's media library with the BubbleUPnP app is because the Plex server's UPnP support doesn't extend to UPnP searches.

-- Jo Cox

Have this set on order. Meanwhile confirmed that the CCA also works just fine with a standard 5V 2A cellphone battery pack (mine are 10,000ma). Some people have reported using one cleans up problems with the video Chromecast, it may help a bit here as well. Also quite handy for traveling.

Will you be able to connect to a media server like Jriver on your local network and stream music ?

You can connect to JRiver using Gizmo or JRemote on an Android phone/tablet and use that to cast to the CCA.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Will you be able to connect to a media server like Jriver on your local network and stream music ?

Yes, but if a streaming/media server is all you need then MinimServer is highly recommended. A media player/library manager like Foobar or JRiver is an overkill.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

A media player/library manager like Foobar or JRiver is an overkill.

I agree, but pending a fix by Google, it's a way to downsample those occasional 96/24 files which are causing the CCA to choke.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein