IGNORED

Chromecast Audio (Analog and Digital Outputs) $35

No as Chris tested, still problems with 24/96 WAV.

Computer Audiophile - Basic Bit Perfect Testing Of The $35 Chromecast Audio

Not everything was fixed. Chris' tests were after the update.
Regardless, Chris's tests were done with the Plex method of casting to the CCA, where due to the 'closed' nature of the method, it is not possible to independantly varify if the proprietrary WAV file stream that is supplied by the Plex Server to Chromecast Audio has not itself been resampled to 16/48kHz.

So you can't really conclude that the fault is with the CCA, as it could just as easily be due to the Plex Server mistakenly transcoding the hi-res WAV files to the lower resolution, ie, before the WAV file gets to the Chromecast Audio. It's certainly not unknown for some media servers to unnecessarily automatically transcode a file without your say so. See this recent thread on the Chromecast help forum, where the Plex using OP mentions the same problem and the reply suggests that the OP either asks on the Plex forum for help with the problem, or tries to recreate the situation without using Plex, so that it can be independantly varified:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!topic/chromecast/creLbSkzvjE;context-place=forum/chromecast

The BubbleUPnP method forces you to use a UPnP media server to supply the music files to the Chromecast Audio, so the CCA is only ever going to receive the streamed files in the exact same condition as they would by any UPnP network audio player/renderer/streamer. So it's very simple to check whether music file that is being cast to the Chromecast Audio, is being transcoded by the UPnP media server or not. I certainly would be more inclined to pay attention to the results, if Chris retested casting those music files to the CCA using the BubbleUPnP method and known reliable UPnP media server, such as MinimServer.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Regardless, Chris's tests were done with the Plex method of casting to the CCA, where due to the 'closed' nature of the method, it is not possible to independantly varify if the proprietrary WAV file stream that is supplied by the Plex Server to Chromecast Audio has not itself been resampled to 16/48kHz.

So you can't really conclude that the fault is with the CCA, as it could just as easily be due to the Plex Server mistakenly transcoding the hi-res WAV files to the lower resolution, ie, before the WAV file gets to the Chromecast Audio. It's certainly not unknown for some media servers to unnecessarily automatically transcode a file without your say so. See this recent thread on the Chromecast help forum, where the Plex using OP mentions the same problem and the reply suggests that the OP either asks on the Plex forum for help with the problem, or tries to recreate the situation without using Plex, so that it can be independantly varified:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB#!topic/chromecast/creLbSkzvjE;context-place=forum/chromecast

The BubbleUPnP method forces you to use a UPnP media server to supply the music files to the Chromecast Audio, so the CCA is only ever going to receive the streamed files in the exact same condition as they would by any UPnP network audio player/renderer/streamer. So it's very simple to check whether music file that is being cast to the Chromecast Audio, is being transcoded by the UPnP media server or not. I certainly would be more inclined to pay attention to the results, if Chris retested casting those music files to the CCA using the BubbleUPnP method and known reliable UPnP media server, such as MinimServer.

What I know is even after the update I can't play 24/96 files and I use BubbleUPnP not Plex. Neither can I play them using Shuttle or any other Android software.

Plex wasn't resampling during my tests. It clearly indicates when it's resampling.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Here's the current state of the CCA (and the CCA only) as of today, using its latest firmware:

• it supports natively playing FLAC and WAV up to 96/24, unmodified. It fails to play some high-res FLAC depending on how they were encoded, in particular compression. This will likely be fixed in the next firmware update since Google has all info required to reprod it
  • if you give it FLAC or WAV higher than 96/24 it will not play it. At all. There's this open issue asking that it accepts anything up to 192/24 even if it has to internally resample it to a suitable combo below or equal to 96/24. Currently, if you want to play audio > 96/24, it has to be resampled externally to be within spec
  • it never internally resamples the stream it is given to play (was not true with older firmwares)
  • html5 makes it impossible or very difficult to implement true gapless playback on the receiver side (open issue). You can get close, but at best there will be a 20-100ms audible gap

I opened all of these tracker issues.

I just got JRiver to make copies of 1400 96kHz files, re-compressed to flac level 0. It's no big deal - just set JRiver up to do it and leave it overnight. The time consuming bit is seeing if they all play through the Chromecast. If they do, I'm happy enough with that solution.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

It fails to play some high-res FLAC depending on how they were encoded, in particular compression. This will likely be fixed in the next firmware update since Google has all info required to reprod it

I wonder if it is fixable via firmware, given that:

- sometimes just one or two tracks in an entire album will fail, though they have presumably all been encoded the same way

- most (??all) tracks can be fixed by re-encoding using the flac encoder to compression level 0.

- making an uncompressed .wav copy of a non-working file, then re-creating a new flac file still sometimes doesn't work if the flac compression level is >0

This suggests that the CCA may simply be unable to cope with the task of decompressing certain highly compressed hi res files on the fly - i.e. a hardware limitation.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Here's the current state of the CCA (and the CCA only) as of today, using its latest firmware:

• it supports natively playing FLAC and WAV up to 96/24, unmodified. It fails to play some high-res FLAC depending on how they were encoded, in particular compression. This will likely be fixed in the next firmware update since Google has all info required to reprod it
  • if you give it FLAC or WAV higher than 96/24 it will not play it. At all. There's this open issue asking that it accepts anything up to 192/24 even if it has to internally resample it to a suitable combo below or equal to 96/24. Currently, if you want to play audio > 96/24, it has to be resampled externally to be within spec
  • it never internally resamples the stream it is given to play (was not true with older firmwares)
  • html5 makes it impossible or very difficult to implement true gapless playback on the receiver side (open issue). You can get close, but at best there will be a 20-100ms audible gap

I opened all of these tracker issues.

Thanks for the summary, Bubbleguuum. Always good to see a notable developer contributing to this forum.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Plex wasn't resampling during my tests. It clearly indicates when it's resampling.
Chris, I certainly think it's worth looking into the validity of those WAV file tests using Plex with the Chromecast Audio, given Bubbleguuum's intervention.

-- Jo Cox

OK I have now loaded over 200 consecutive 24/96 files without a single failure on the part of the CCA. All files had been re-encoded to flac, compression level 0, using jRiver. Barring extreme statistical anomalies, I am prepared to pronounce this a solution to the problem.

Now i know Chris stated in his review, "I'm certainly not going to convert my entire 60,000 track library to a specific level of FLAC compression with a specific encoding application in order to play the files on the Chromecast Audio", but I would make these points:

- You don't have to convert your entire library, only the hi res tracks.

- It took me less than five minutes to set jRiver up to convert all my hi res files. I then went to bed and got up in the morning to find it all done.

- Rather than pick out the individual files which were causing problems for conversion, which would indeed have been tedious, I chose to convert the lot.

-While this was done to enable the files to play on the Chromecast, it in no way diminishes their compatibility with other devices. Arguably, by reducing the load on the processor at runtime, it may improve the quality of playback, even on a PC.

-If I understand correctly, jRiver invokes the standard flac encoder to convert the files, so arguably, rather than using a "specific encoding application", the resulting files should comply completely with the flac standard. It seems to be DbPowerAmp that is out of step here, as it seems to have been the source of many of the incompatible files.

- The only cost is a slight increase in the size of the hi res flac files, hardly significant in these days of multi-terabyte drives.

Just saying.......

- Einstein

Regardless, Chris's tests were done with the Plex method...

FWIW, I wouldn't use Plex ever, it transcoded everything on the fly including video (Blu-ray rips) on a local gigabit AC Wi-Fi network. I could never get it to pass through without any sort of sampling ever.

Kodi is much better, gives you a lot more control and freedom, and a lot more options if you choose to go the route of add-ons and extensions.

What I know is even after the update I can't play 24/96 files and I use BubbleUPnP not Plex. Neither can I play them using Shuttle or any other Android software.

Works fine for me, never faced any issues since the update.

Are you using BubbleUPNP server? Perhaps you can give MinimServer a try? I'm quite sold on it, have it running on multiple devices like a NAS, PC, and even a Raspberry Pi.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

OK I have now loaded over 200 consecutive 24/96 files without a single failure on the part of the CCA. All files had been re-encoded to flac, compression level 0, using jRiver. Barring extreme statistical anomalies, I am prepared to pronounce this a solution to the problem.

[/color]Just saying.......

Way to go Snowmonkey! Your digging into that issue removed my hesitance about buying the CAA.

Great! Any toslink cable recommandations?

I'm using Lifatec mini-Toslink to Toslink.

Without getting into whether "cables make a difference or not" discussion, you could also use a budget Amazon Basics or even Blue Jeans Cable.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I'm also using Lifatec optical cable (actually 2, before and after a W4S Remedy Reclocker),significant improvement over the ones I got at my local Jaycar electronics shop.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

I'm also using Lifatec optical cable (actually 2, before and after a W4S Remedy Reclocker),significant improvement over the ones I got at my local Jaycar electronics shop.

I'm having no end of trouble with my Remedy playing 96kHz files from the CCA. Everything works fine if I bypass the Remedy. So far, W4S hasn't been able to come up with an answer. I'm starting to wonder if it is some incompatibility between the CCA and the Remedy. Have you had the opportunity to play a 96kHz file through the Remedy?

- Einstein

I'm having no end of trouble with my Remedy playing 96kHz files from the CCA. Everything works fine if I bypass the Remedy. So far, W4S hasn't been able to come up with an answer. I'm starting to wonder if it is some incompatibility between the CCA and the Remedy. Have you had the opportunity to play a 96kHz file through the Remedy?

I had similar issues using it with an Auralic Aries (not a CCA) ... very long story, so I sent you a verbose PM (sorry if it reads like "War & Peace").

Short story, I can lend you some gear like a Remedy Reclocker or a Lifatec optical cables to help you trouble shoot (just in case it is a device/cable isssue ... then at least you can rule that out).

Dedicating my 5Ghz WiFi network to streaming music using the Aries (and movies with the ATV4) only ... laptop moved to 2.4Ghz, seemed to help as well, for getting 96Hkz stable.

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods