IGNORED

Best External Hard Drive for music storage.

I am sure this has been discussed but I struggled to find a definitive answer. I was just about to purchase a WD My cloud 2TB to store my music. But then started to do some research and started to read that internal HDD units with an external enclosure may the best route to go.

I am quite a newbie so am looking for advice/suggestions. My apologies if this is old news and has been replayed many times.

Thank you for any help.

I had four Seagate drives fail in a two week period and now avoid them like the plague.

Suffering succotash !!!

How old were they ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Well if you have a reason to prefer how the drive is formatted, like I'm a Linux user and prefer EXT4 over NTFS or whatever Windoz is using now, you might be better off with a generic external enclosure. Proprietary drives like the Cloud are usually locked into a format and also have a control app that is required to be installed. But then again it will also be automated with backup programs and things like that.

In short if you want the drive to be the boss over its operation, something like the Cloud may be the ticket.

If you want to make the decisions on how things operate, a generic external may be the best.

I've always used Western Digital Black drives in external enclosures and have never had a drive fail in about 15 years of use.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I am sure this has been discussed but I struggled to find a definitive answer. I was just about to purchase a WD My cloud 2TB to store my music. But then started to do some research and started to read that internal HDD units with an external enclosure may the best route to go.

I am quite a newbie so am looking for advice/suggestions. My apologies if this is old news and has been replayed many times.

Thank you for any help.

All external hard drives have an internal mechanism in an external enclosure. The OWC stuff is no better than anything else, perhaps not as good. I have a OWC 2x1TB RAID built with two HGST internal drives that has never really worked that well. It doesn't always mount, and is noisy. I've also owned several G-Technology externals built with Hitachi HDD's that have failed.

The most reliable drives that I have owned have been LaCie and Western Digital.

This eBay seller has good deals on WD HDD's. I have purchased two factory-refurbished FireWire portable drives from him, and, so far, they have worked perfectly. They are fast, and extremely quiet.

Dell Laptop Hard Drives, Cheap Memory items in Laptop Hard Drives store on eBay!

I've had good results with WD Red drives in OWC Enclosures:

External Drive Enclosures & Optical Drives | OWC

I had four Seagate drives fail in a two week period and now avoid them like the plague.

Yes I have very good experience so far with single reds in OWC enclosures. The lower rotation speed means no noise and no heat, but still plenty of throughput. I use a OWC FW400 enclosure with a simple linear PS as per Alex Crespi's recommendation. However you cannot find these anymore but the FW800 ones are great too (I have one). Doesn't hurt that the OWC ones are slim and all aluminum for good heat dissipation and good looks.

And yes I too have not had good experience with Seagate.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I spent the last 4 yrs or so using an HGST ext hd in a OWC enclosure. It worked great, but here's my advice. After awhile, you're going to get tired of having to power up/connect the hd to your computer before you can listen. I'd suggest just getting a 2 bay Synology NAS, it's so convenient. Just my .02 ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

I spent the last 4 yrs or so using an HGST ext hd in a OWC enclosure. It worked great, but here's my advice. After awhile, you're going to get tired of having to power up/connect the hd to your computer before you can listen. I'd suggest just getting a 2 bay Synology NAS, it's so convenient. Just my .02 ;)

Sacrilege to some here, but my FW music drives are bus-powered. They spin up and shut down automatically when I power up/sleep the Macs. I do not hear a SQ difference with the FireWire plugged in vs. copying music files to RamDisk then disconnecting it. One less AC power cord/outlet needed, too.

Since 2011, Promise Pegasus, 12TB, R6, Raid 5, fast (very), silent even though a fan (never hear it). Backup to a Pegasus 8TB R4, Raid 5 (very fast), also silent etc. Hate to tempt the Gremlins, but nary a worry, problem. They are superb. Had FW/OWC/4way-800/400/eSata/USB. As good as they are, the Thunderbolt's are lightning fast, silent, and trouble-free. Firmware updates when necessary. Otherwise...

Best,

Richard

Yes I have very good experience so far with single reds in OWC enclosures. The lower rotation speed means no noise and no heat, but still plenty of throughput. I use a OWC FW400 enclosure with a simple linear PS as per Alex Crespi's recommendation. However you cannot find these anymore but the FW800 ones are great too (I have one). Doesn't hurt that the OWC ones are slim and all aluminum for good heat dissipation and good looks.

And yes I too have not had good experience with Seagate.

Miggy , my daughter had a Seagate drive fail just last week . Still under warranty though .

I have WD drives

I'm definitely happy with a 4 bay Drobo USB3 unit with WD Caviar Green disks as main storage unit...

Lacie USB3/Firewire external disk as a secondary storage...

Few SD cards 64GB as main playout sources, so during listening sessions none of the HD are power on

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

Sacrilege to some here, but my FW music drives are bus-powered. They spin up and shut down automatically when I power up/sleep the Macs. I do not hear a SQ difference with the FireWire plugged in vs. copying music files to RamDisk then disconnecting it. One less AC power cord/outlet needed, too.

I also use a FW bus-powered external drive for my music files, a 1TB Samsung SSD in a OWC enclosure.

Works well, sounds great.

Dave, who has also been pleased by Oyen enclosures and WD Red drives

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Would a WD My Book a good purchase? I am guessing the hard drive is not of the same quality as WD Red or Black drive.

You are probably correct. This is why I like to roll my own. I know exactly what drive is in the enclosure and I can replace later if necessary.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Would a WD My Book a good purchase? I am guessing the hard drive is not of the same quality as WD Red or Black drive.

As I recall the MyBooks usually contain WD Green series drives. The MyBook NAS type are likely to contain Red as that is WD's NAS series. It is however quite random and only by dismantling one would you know.

The actual drives however are idnetical to the same drive sold as an internal drive.

PS. I was just reading a lot of WD drives now have direct USB connector ... Think this is limited to 2.5" drives.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Miggy , my daughter had a Seagate drive fail just last week . Still under warranty though .

I have WD drives

Same. I've had a few Seagates over the years (all came with other hardware) and yes frankly poor.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

The hd inside are usually green version. Yes good buy.

system pics

I'm a little nervous reading this thread and the opinions on Seagate. I've been using Lacie the past three years (WD before that) and liked the d2 Quadra units. I just upgraded to two d2 Thunderbolt 3TB HDD and now realize that Seagate is the parent company. The enclosures seem to be of similar quality to the others I had but I wonder what drives are inside Seagate or Lacie.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
The enclosures seem to be of similar quality to the others I had but I wonder what drives are inside Seagate or Lacie.

I don't think LaCie is a drive manufacturer so I would guess they are Seagate drives.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Reading the reviews for reliability, Seagate usually comes out near the bottom. I have some experience with the 3TB internal drives which I bought before I read the reviews. I bought a completely populated Synology NAS 12 bay unit with Seagate drives. Within 2-3 years all 12 had failed. I started buying WD Red drives (4TB) and now have about 30 of them (in 3 different Synology NAS units (2 12 unit and 1 8 unit). Only one has failed in about 2.5 years. I usually keep about 4 spare WD 4TB drives, around, just in case. I configure the Synology NAS units for their SHR RAID configuration with 2 hot spares, again, just in case.

I haven't gone to enterprise drives, although with prices dropping, I may do that. After I populated my 12 bay units with the WD Reds, I found out they recommend them for up to 8 bays. I haven't had problems except for the one drive, so they seem to be find.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files