IGNORED

ECdesigns

45 minutes ago, realDHT said:

And, even more interesting to me, my first listening and comparison with the powerdac-r.

Congrats on your work!

Too bad indeed that you did not have a stock U192. It would have been interesting then to compare the two with both DACs... 

What did you think of the powerDAC-R? Remind me: are you using active speakers with DSP? 

6 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Congrats on your work!

Too bad indeed that you did not have a stock U192. It would have been interesting then to compare the two with both DACs... 

What did you think of the powerDAC-R? Remind me: are you using active speakers with DSP? 

Tnx ! Yes indeed that would have been the relevant comparison. 

The speakers use ASP, so all filtering/bass-compensation etc. is in the analog domain using OPA1656 op-amps

I will write about my impressions of the powerdac -r :) 

12 minutes ago, realDHT said:

so that I can re-use the enclosure and most of the other components for some powerdac modding

I'm assuming you read John's explanations which I quoted above. The design of the powerDAC seems pretty "air tight" with little opportunity for modding/improvement. Do you have any ideas? 

6 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I'm assuming you read John's explanations which I quoted above. The design of the powerDAC seems pretty "air tight" with little opportunity for modding/improvement. Do you have any ideas? 

Yep, the mod is for looks and convenience, as I want/need a shunt attenuator in my system. The built in volume of the PD doesn't go well with my ASP/speakers (when changing volume its sends out a DC pulse that is amplified by the ASP and makes things somewhat scary (moves my bass cones several centimeters). I hope to reach a sound improvement too, but I consider that a bonus and not something I count on. In fact I already did the mods 😀, I will post about them here. 

1 minute ago, hopkins said:

I noticed exactly the same thing with my speakers one day I took the grills off (after posting my initial review). I asked John and there is nothing to worry about, but I understand it could make you nervous :) 

if its enough to move a woofer a few cm, what do you think it will do to a headphone driver?

1 minute ago, hopkins said:

I noticed exactly the same thing with my speakers one day I took the grills off (after posting my initial review). I asked John and there is nothing to worry about, but I understand it could make you nervous :) 

Yep but in my system the bass cones moves much longer than a normal speaker because of the ASP/dipole compensation in the bass..

13 hours ago, Khronos said:

I truly hope ECD follows the steps of Soekris and begins OEMing the board.

I really applaud such a solution like Soekris also for DIY.

It would be very appealing to put an ECD board in my own chosen enclosure.

Maybe @hopkinscan facilitate such a solution?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

7 hours ago, yogibear said:

Kevin from glowinthedarkaudio and I have a few amps and FR drivers in common, playing in Open baffle. Though I never had much space for Telefunken Open baffle but may be soon by year end. I too have the same 12" Zenith drivers. They make surprising bass in my L shape Open Baffle. My current baffles are 24" X 40" from front and 18" deep on one side, along the walls, to avoid cavity resonance from the walls. (Side baffle and side walls will do that, so aligned the side baffles of L shape to the walls.)

The room is pretty modest, 11'X12' and far from ideal for my OB design but still enjoyable. The current drivers are (retrofitted on the 12" driver cutouts) 8" Matsushita / Technics / National Panasonic 8PW1, kind of triaxial coz of cone design with a phase plug, alnico, 95dB and only 8 watts RMS. In my little experience, high dB FR drivers mate well with a few watts of tube amps. The amps are well designed with excellent frequency response and low distortion. I have a few different amps. Currently playing is PSE 6080 mono blocks with volume controls and make 5 wpc. I have setup the volume on the amp at mid way and control the music level through PD remote.  Not a good looking setup as I am always experimenting. Have also built 2 way with bass assisted by 15" drivers. 

Picture of setup attached.

IMG_5113 copy.jpg

OK to post one of your videos? 

6 hours ago, realDHT said:

(when changing volume its sends out a DC pulse that is amplified by the ASP and makes things somewhat scary (moves my bass cones several centimeters).

Same here with my high dB FRs. Plan to add woofers which will be 103 dB, so will be very scary. But am not so sure / confident to mod PD.

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

OK to post one of your videos? 

Sure.... I wonder how you reached it ! I will testing my all other FRs too on the same baffle with the PD playing. Cannot help room reflections and all these are iPhone recorded so these just give an idea of what PD as a DAC is doing. In person, it sounds amazing in my current experimental setup. Hopefully a new setup in a large room by year end, all driven by PD. 

1 hour ago, yogibear said:

Sure.... I wonder how you reached it ! I will testing my all other FRs too on the same baffle with the PD playing. Cannot help room reflections and all these are iPhone recorded so these just give an idea of what PD as a DAC is doing. In person, it sounds amazing in my current experimental setup. Hopefully a new setup in a large room by year end, all driven by PD. 

I simply googled "ecdesigns powerDAC" and filtered results by date. Phone videos are tricky. I've tried recording my speakers, but could not even get the camera to focus! Sound was disappointing - will try again with an external microphone. 

1 hour ago, yogibear said:

Sounds great!  That track is very familiar- what is the song/artist?

Thanks