IGNORED

ECdesigns

15 hours ago, realDHT said:

Stay tuned 😁

Also curious to hear about your mods to the PD and if they make any significant difference.

I had lengthy explanations from John about how he has implemented clean power and uncomplicated reclocking in the PD (with a single 200mhz clock) resulting in significantly reduced jitter. Given how much research he has done I'm not sure this can be improved much.

Andrea Mori doesn't supply a 200mhz clock as far as I know. (I have a 24mhz clock from Andrea gathering dust, now unused which I was going to try in the Fractal DAC).

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

9 hours ago, yogibear said:

Same here with my high dB FRs. Plan to add woofers which will be 103 dB, so will be very scary. But am not so sure / confident to mod PD.

I only think it is a real problem in very unusual DSP/ASP compensated setups like mine, but can be somewhat scary/annoying I agree

Although I do not think John would recommend DSP volume, I have not really noticed any SQ degradation using 64 bit volume control in JRiver/HQplayer etc, so in my opinion, PD set for full volume and using 64 bit software volume is a viable alternative too.

BTW I also like the combination of good tube amps and high sensitivity FR drivers, I can imagine those go well with the ECD dacs :)  

12 minutes ago, matthias said:

Please, can you shed some light on why such a HF clock is needed in the PowerDAC?

Thanks

Matt

My understanding is that the precision of the master clock in the powerDAC is sufficient. The critical aspect, as you can see from John's explanations, is how the clock signals are used! I would not start obsessing about this.

If @realDHT, for example, has the skills and desire to try another clock he will be able to give his opinion after. 

1 hour ago, realDHT said:

I have not really noticed any SQ degradation using 64 bit volume control in JRiver/HQplayer etc, so in my opinion, PD set for full volume and using 64 bit software volume is a viable alternative too.

BTW I also like the combination of good tube amps and high sensitivity FR drivers, I can imagine those go well with the ECD dacs :)  

Actually tried something very similar today. JRiver 64 bit acts as a virtual sound card on my laptop. PD set to full volume at 9. Tube amp volume half way. SQ is another level now. Staggering I would say......

Music Volume controlled through my phone at the software level on the laptop.

2 hours ago, yogibear said:

Actually tried something very similar today. JRiver 64 bit acts as a virtual sound card on my laptop. PD set to full volume at 9. Tube amp volume half way. SQ is another level now. Staggering I would say......

So DVC of JRiver is superior to VC of the PD?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Then desoldering power supply components (capacitors, 3.3V LDO regulator) to prepare for separate shuntregulators for 5V and 3.3V.

Then desoldering the onboard oscillator to prepare for a small squarer board instead.

Then, since I will change from a vertical to a horisontal enclosure, I needed to rotate the toslink reciever module 90 degrees and mounted it underside the board instead.

Also removed the volume/display module since I will use my shunt attenuator instead. 

DAPI_desoldered.jpg

The external sine oscillator (from A. Mori) in its shield box.

I vibration-isolated the crystal from the Driscoll board using a 'sandwich' of memory foam  and small copper plate. Electrically connected with thin wires 

Also sandwiched the driscoll board in the shieldbox between memory foam layers below and above the board (mechanical and acoustic damping).

The power wires going out from the side wall will be fed with a 17 VDC salas shunt regulator. 

Drixo1.jpg

Drixo2.jpg

Even the copper shield between the stacked boards that I made for the fractal mod, fitted perfectly so I could re-use that one too.

Perhaps a bit obsessive 😁 but the idea is to reduce potential crosstalk between the boards, and add some weight on the memory foam damping feet that the board stack is resting on.

copperscreen.jpg