IGNORED

ECdesigns

Anyone paired one of the current crop of ECD DACs with the UPL96ETL?

I’m still enjoying mine with the DA96 of same vintage and put a significant part of the SQ down to the UPL.  Wondered how it sounded with latest gen DACs.

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

The attenuation steps are OK for me, no need to go finer. There is an odd doubling of volume (as confirmed by John) after changing each step, but this is so short (a small fraction of a second) that this presents no problem to the speakers or my ears.

Nice report, but that behavior of the attenuator is VERY concerning. I have been considering purchase of a PowerDAC-RX, but bursts of volume when adjusting the level would be unacceptable to me.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Nice report, but that behavior of the attenuator is VERY concerning. I have been considering purchase of a PowerDAC-RX, but bursts of volume when adjusting the level would be unacceptable to me.

I admit that on paper it sounds disturbing. I was actually warned by another user before I bought it. However, when you actually hear it, it not a problem at all, really. At least not to me and the other owners (for as far as I know). I believe John chose not to change this behavior in order not to compromise SQ by doing so. His approach is purist. ECdesigns is not a brand to try to produce slick commercial status symbols but puts SQ first.

Actually what I like about this DAC is that it appears 'untuned'. Most 5 figure DACs are tuned to please the maker's sound preference. This can be done in many ways such as FPGA, opamps and tubes. John's approach is different. He chooses to minimize noise and jitter, not by tuning things but by omitting as much as possible, confident that the result will be right and musical. I think he has succeeded: to me the PD-SX emanates rightness to a high degree.

audio system

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

Still very happy with the PD-SX. Brief update:

I replaced the T2A fuse by a Synergestic Research Purple T2.5A fuse. Not sure whether I could hear the difference, but I did not try very hard.

Also, I non-invasively added two spades to the SX's rear feet that function as ground box connectors. I think that, with two 4kg boxes attached, I now hear a slightly blacker background.

The SX prompted me to change my convolution filters. The filters still address timing issues but are now only applied up to 200 Hz to mitigate room modes. The rest of the frequency spectrum is left alone. Also I managed to increase the volume of the resulting files without clipping, so all material can now be played at an attenuation setting between 14 and 23.

I called John to congratulate him on the SX. He is always very friendly and candid about his designs, although my technical knowledge is insufficient to understand everything he says. He did say that the SX's magic for the most part has to do with the omission of conventional amplification, so that it achieves more in that respect than the BX or RX.

When I told him of my results with different streamers and clocking, he admitted that sources can still make some difference, saying that "where there is data, there is noise" even applies to optical cables. He mentioned something about frequency bands, but I did not fully understand.

When I asked him about the UT192, het said that it could be wortwhile for me to try it, so I ordered one. If it makes no positive difference SQ wise, I can return it.

Any pictures ? and what streamers and clocking are you using ? and with which streamers and clocking did you notice differences ?

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

I use 3 Ungnoi anti-vibration feet.

Hi @bodiebill

nice system!

Two questions:

1.) Where can I get the Ungnoi feet?

2.) Can you use the highest volume level (24/24) of the SX or is there some distorsion/clipping?

If you can use 24/24, how loud is then the volume level impression in the room?

Thank you

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

15 hours ago, bodiebill said:

image.png.1af1b0743e2ce3e85dfd2a15a67834e1.png

The rack got emptier :-) However I am now using my other DAC (Leaf Audio CMD27) and power amp (Reimyo KAP-777) as an oversized headphone rig to provide enough juice for my power greedy TakeT headphones.

For streamers/clocking see my previous post of Feb 3.

And forgot to say: I use 3 Ungnoi anti-vibration feet.

Yes I noticed similar sound improvement in regards to streamer and source . It definitely is not immune and is source dependant . I am also using Ian Canada products and will most likely upgrade to UC Pure clocks .

17 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Still very happy with the PD-SX. Brief update:

I replaced the T2A fuse by a Synergestic Research Purple T2.5A fuse. Not sure whether I could hear the difference, but I did not try very hard.

Also, I non-invasively added two spades to the SX's rear feet that function as ground box connectors. I think that, with two 4kg boxes attached, I now hear a slightly blacker background.

The SX prompted me to change my convolution filters. The filters still address timing issues but are now only applied up to 200 Hz to mitigate room modes. The rest of the frequency spectrum is left alone. Also I managed to increase the volume of the resulting files without clipping, so all material can now be played at an attenuation setting between 14 and 23.

I called John to congratulate him on the SX. He is always very friendly and candid about his designs, although my technical knowledge is insufficient to understand everything he says. He did say that the SX's magic for the most part has to do with the omission of conventional amplification, so that it achieves more in that respect than the BX or RX.

When I told him of my results with different streamers and clocking, he admitted that sources can still make some difference, saying that "where there is data, there is noise" even applies to optical cables. He mentioned something about frequency bands, but I did not fully understand.

When I asked him about the UT192, het said that it could be wortwhile for me to try it, so I ordered one. If it makes no positive difference SQ wise, I can return it.

I think your Ian Canada product will most likely be better . I had an older version of the UT192 and the Ian Canada gear sounds better .

On 2/11/2024 at 11:02 AM, bodiebill said:

Did you get it.......and does it make a positive difference?

What about ElectroTos vs Toslink SQ wise?

Thx

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

13 hours ago, matthias said:

Did you get it.......and does it make a positive difference?

What about ElectroTos vs Toslink SQ wise?

Thx

Yes, and here it made a subtle positive difference in terms of SQ. But note that my USB is isolated via a two-box converter, so it is

streamer > USB > fiber > USB > UT192 > Toslink or ElectroTos > PD-SX

In the meantime I have substituted the UT192 with a customized UT96 with ET as well as Toslink output (kindly sent to me for comparison by John and Gordon). The theory is that the latter is less noisy, but the difference in SQ is very small. I must have been bewitched by the ECD sorcerers as they have turned an avid DSD adapt into a modest PCM96 guy :-)

I prefer my Canadian Toslink cable to the stock ElectroTos. However I am talking to an audio buddy (who used to contribute to this thread) about the possibility of making a custom ElectroTos with better (but not too heavy!) coax cable.

audio system

On 2/16/2024 at 2:55 AM, Varinder said:

Does your Ian Canada 🇨🇦 streamer has toslink ouput or how are you connecting it to DAC please

Sorry, missed this one...

I have an HdmiPi Pro as well as a TransportPi AES module. The former only does hdmi/I2S and the latter spdif RCA, BNC and optical. In theory you can use both in one stack but due to space limitations (height) I choose one depending on my setup. It is quite easy to swap them.

Currently I use optical out to the PD-SX.

audio system

• 2 weeks later...

Using a basic cheap shit Chinese peramp with the Power DAC and it's the best I have ever heard it .

As driven by itself in my opinion the Power DAC just does not sound as good as open and dynamic .

There is a tiny bit of hum but either this is a great pedence match or pure ass luck that they got this to sound so good for $240 AUD .

IMG_20240307_230634.jpg

On 3/7/2024 at 1:16 PM, Perri said:

Using a basic cheap shit Chinese peramp with the Power DAC and it's the best I have ever heard it .

As driven by itself in my opinion the Power DAC just does not sound as good as open and dynamic .

There is a tiny bit of hum but either this is a great pedence match or pure ass luck that they got this to sound so good for $240 AUD .

IMG_20240307_230634.jpg

Nice! Which PowerDAC are you using?

audio system

IMG_3446.thumb.jpeg.c301f2ec3852c06d9fe3f746a28e2189.jpeg

Handcrafted four tube preamps till date. From left: First is Output transformer coupled 6SN7 tube preamp, Second is Capacitor coupled 6SN7 tube preamp, both are Jack Elliano, Electra Print Audio designs, often used in recording studios.

Third is Re084 DHT Preamp, Fourth is 6GF7 SRPP tube preamp, both are tube rectified and my own designs. 

All four play with B and BX and mate well with tube and SS amps. 

Pretty hard to chose one over the other. It’s all about the execution and not just the tubes.

On 3/11/2024 at 12:46 AM, yogibear said:

IMG_3446.thumb.jpeg.c301f2ec3852c06d9fe3f746a28e2189.jpeg

Handcrafted four tube preamps till date. From left: First is Output transformer coupled 6SN7 tube preamp, Second is Capacitor coupled 6SN7 tube preamp, both are Jack Elliano, Electra Print Audio designs, often used in recording studios.

Third is Re084 DHT Preamp, Fourth is 6GF7 SRPP tube preamp, both are tube rectified and my own designs. 

All four play with B and BX and mate well with tube and SS amps. 

Pretty hard to chose one over the other. It’s all about the execution and not just the tubes.

I do like tube rectified a lot for some reason .

So no DHT preamps .

Do the Electra Print Audio designs come in kits ?