IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

Would you be willing to share how you disabled the writing to log files?

OK Here you go! These are the registry entries I referred to. One can use REGEDIT to make these changes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM

\CurrentControlSet

\Control

\WMI

\Autologger

Setting "start" to 0 in each entry disables the log. There are many loggers. Once all are set to 0, reboot.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Thanks, Larry. I assume those logs are required only for troubleshooting so there's no downside to disabling logging other than loss of diagnostic information?

Windows 10 is a moving target. Getting it to shut up and just do what you want is like playing whack-a-mole.

I'm considering removing all the modern UI apps except for the Windows Store itself. It seems this would eliminate a bunch of unnecessary activity. I know there are scripts to do this with PowerShell, but has anyone tried just using the CCleaner uninstall tool?

Nvidia has introduced telemetry in its recent drivers. I even found ongoing network activity due to a Canon device driver for a scanner.

It's like a full time job. Maybe I should give that job to AudioPhil?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Thanks, Larry. I assume those logs are required only for troubleshooting so there's no downside to disabling logging other than loss of diagnostic information?

Windows 10 is a moving target. Getting it to shut up and just do what you want is like playing whack-a-mole.

I'm considering removing all the modern UI apps except for the Windows Store itself. It seems this would eliminate a bunch of unnecessary activity. I know there are scripts to do this with PowerShell, but has anyone tried just using the CCleaner uninstall tool?

Nvidia has introduced telemetry in its recent drivers. I even found ongoing network activity due to a Canon device driver for a scanner.

It's like a full time job. Maybe I should give that job to AudioPhil?

Rick,

LOL! Yes, well said, a full-time job indeed. Linux should be the answer but the native DSD implementation is so bad that it's unusable. I feel we are between a rock and a hard place!

OK Here you go! These are the registry entries I referred to. One can use REGEDIT to make these changes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM

\CurrentControlSet

\Control

\WMI

\Autologger

Setting "start" to 0 in each entry disables the log. There are many loggers. Once all are set to 0, reboot.

What a great tweak. Sounds louder, more distinct, dynamic et al. Thanks Lmitche! Got any more you want to share?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM

\CurrentControlSet

\Control

\WMI

\Autologger

Thank you for the settings.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed towards the common goal of optimizing the Win10 for audio. Based on the contribution I have taken the liberty to write some Power Shell code to automate some of the manual steps. Before using the code please make sure to have a good backup/restore in case something goes wrong.

Use the code at your own risk and please do not hold me accountable if the code breaks your setup.

It requires Power Shell to be run in "run as administrator mode"

Part of the code includes how to capture running service and restore them back to that state in case some of the later setup went wrong.

win_opt.txt

cpu.png

mem.png

Hi shadowlight, Thanks for creating this script. Reading it, I see some new things and some familiar things. I look forward to applying the new things and hearing the results in my system.

One quick question. I play music served from my Linux NAS via SMB/NMB. Will that continue to work if the following scriptlet is run?

# Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, WINS and Support for LMHost file#

$adapter.SetTcpipNetbios(2)

$nic = [wmiclass]'Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration'

$nic.enablewins($false,$false)

Hi shadowlight, Thanks for creating this script. Reading it, I see some new things and some familiar things. I look forward to applying the new things and hearing the results in my system.

One quick question. I play music served from my Linux NAS via SMB/NMB. Will that continue to work if the following scriptlet is run?

# Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, WINS and Support for LMHost file#

$adapter.SetTcpipNetbios(2)

$nic = [wmiclass]'Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration'

$nic.enablewins($false,$false)

Larry,

I am not sure, since I do not have a Linux NAS (SAMBA) but I am able to map drives on a Windows Server with out any issues and all off my systems have WINS and LMHost disabled. The change is easy to revert back manually if it does not work. Just go to network adapter settings - Internet Protocol Version 4 - Properties -- Advanced -- WINS and select "Enable LMHosts Lookup" and "Default".

I believe you are using a Archlinux based NAS? Is it just a simple SAMBA based setup? If yes, I will see if I can build out a VM system and test.

Larry,

I am not sure, since I do not have a Linux NAS (SAMBA) but I am able to map drives on a Windows Server with out any issues and all off my systems have WINS and LMHost disabled. The change is easy to revert back manually if it does not work. Just go to network adapter settings - Internet Protocol Version 4 - Properties -- Advanced -- WINS and select "Enable LMHosts Lookup" and "Default".

I believe you are using a Archlinux based NAS? Is it just a simple SAMBA based setup? If yes, I will see if I can build out a VM system and test.

Hi shadowlight,

No worries, all is working well. Here are the results with Roonserver and HQplayer running, (after some manual finessing!). Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Capture.JPG

I just discovered this free program today. It looks pretty powerful but I haven't tried it yet.

Get Blackbird - Windows privacy, security and performance

Here's another one. It doesn't seem as comprehensive, but it sure has a good name.

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Nice. I still need to figure out why I still have 37 processes running on Win10 compared to everyone reporting around 24. What manually finessing did you have to do? If possible I would like to correct that in the script.

For my last Win10 install, I ran edbk's script and parts of your script found above. Once done, I follow with execution of AO ultimate, the included Win10 stripping script and ST shell replacement to Roonserver. After boot, I get this:

Capture.JPG

From there, using task manager, I manually stop process and services to reach the following running state.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Lastly I set HQPlayer to run in realtime priority. Kinda a PITA at each boot, but worth the 30 seconds it takes to execute.

Microsoft currently runs several services under a given svchost process. That is going to change, and you may see many more svchost processes running. See 'Service Hosts are split into separate processes' in the Build 14942 Insider Preview

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/07/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14942-for-pc/#rS4K0cooPeM3PFTR.97