IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

The two windows features I really care about are wireless connectivity and

Remote Desktop Connection (I am in Windows 10 PRO) to be able to access my Audio PC remotely from another PC using Microsft's own Remote Desktop Connection application.

Would these scripts break the wireless and RDC features?

I tried to google what services / features are required for RDC without success.... :/

Hi

Don't know exactl about these scripts, but AO 2.00 will not.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Hi

within the next few weeks (3-6), sure Foobar is no Problem. If you buy AO now, the coming upgrade (AO 2.00) will be free of charge as well.

best,

Phil

____________________________________________________________________________________

• 1 month later...

I finally started the switchover from Win7 to Win10, since Win10 upgrades stop being free at the end of this month. So I was very happy to find this thread and am grateful to edbk and the others who have contributed here. I made most of the changes in edbk's Setup Guide, though backed off of some of the network changes, and also set Audio to be 'owned'.

Interestingly the first result gave the appearance of lots of detail, but the Windows GUI was a bit stuttery and the sound was a bit etched, like a RAW photo that has had the contrast increased a bit too much in Photoshop.

Given that I'm running JRiver on an older laptop that has only 3GB of usable RAM, I questioned whether the lack of an Virtual Memory page files was causing my problem. Plus networking support screens didn't seem to be providing all I expected to see. So I set up Virtual Memory and also reversed the script items that might be related to networking and to device detection.

Now the sound was much better with lots of good detail across the frequency spectrum and better sense of flow. The sense of being too contrasty was gone, but the soundstage was pretty flat, no sense of the three dimensional nature of the instruments and the space around them.

So I decided to try Fidelizer 7.3 on top of these tweaks (Audiophile profile) and the living breath came back into the music, with all the natural sense of 3D space. I was hoping these configs would replace what Fidelizer does for my sound, but it appears I need both in my current system. YMMV.

I wonder how much of that is related to Core Parking vs. Timer Resolution, and could try Lucas' program or the Tonfilm's tool that was updated after ElviaCaprice tried it. Lucas' website says his prog has to keep running in order to work. I suppose that could be OK if it can be launched in Startup without user intervention. I may need to email him about that. Tonflim's can be run in GUI mode or as a command line but in a startup, assuing it is compatible with Win10.

So, I'm pretty happy overall with the SQ improvement and it seems that the sound with Fidelizer alone (Audiophile setting) did not get me as far sonically as together with the tweaks in this thread. But I do have some more experimenting to do. Maybe play with Runtime Broker and Process Lasso also. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I was going over AO latest release, thread, installation and instructions. I can now say I can't recommend, for the cost, over the free script and tips on this thread, for Windows 10 users for various reasons.

1st - AO can only remain in GUI mode for Windows 10. Nothing extra there.

2nd - If your using Windows Home edition you are far better off doing the optimization manually outside AO, far more can be achieved from following this thread. Just make sure you do all the optimization on a partitioned secondary version.

3rd - After completing the optimization here on this thread, you can achieve much more additionally with task manager per each usage. Just open it up and close any background processes not needed. You should basically end up with only 2 or 3. Definitely close Windows explorer under Windows processes (I have 21 processes total) each time after you have opened your Media player screen. See the tip here in the thread. All said and done I achieve far more optimization manually than AO achieves in Windows 10.

Really where AO shines, I would imagine, is with Windows Server (never tried it), not so much in Windows 10, in my humble opinion.

Overall, SQ is fantastic on this end with my optimized Windows 10.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I should add, that I'm speaking for myself and similiar. For others, AO might make sense for Windows 10 optimization.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

@ElviaCaprice: what version of Windows 10 are you using? Home or Enterprise/Pro?

Pro is my main audio system, home on another backup optimized.

Hi

And the one you use AO with is?

Hi Phil,

I don't nor ever have used AO, but it probably would be fair to at least try it, I admit.

I'm just going by what I've read from your installation instructions and others findings on your thread. Number of services and processes being eliminated. For example, Windows Defender not being eliminated on Home.

How can you then say that your manually tweaked win 10 is so much better than one with AO?

Obviously not from a listening standpoint (which I do not claim), since I've never used AO. Strictly from a physical endpoint of what I"ve achieved from optimizing Windows 10 compared to others reports/your instructions on AO.

Fine. The instructions from our guide are more like a "preparation", a general best practice recommendation. But what about the several years of research and development which went into the software, into AO? All these thousands and thousands lines of code? The feedback of thousands of users which also helped to shape AO, its functionality as well as the sound quality?

You made a very bold statement, based on reading our guide but not using the software which it is all about at all?

I think i have nothing more to say.

I was going over AO latest release, thread, installation and instructions. I can now say I can't recommend, for the cost, over the free script and tips on this thread, for Windows 10 users for various reasons.

1st - AO can only remain in GUI mode for Windows 10. Nothing extra there.

2nd - If your using Windows Home edition you are far better off doing the optimization manually outside AO, far more can be achieved from following this thread. Just make sure you do all the optimization on a partitioned secondary version.

3rd - After completing the optimization here on this thread, you can achieve much more additionally with task manager per each usage. Just open it up and close any background processes not needed. You should basically end up with only 2 or 3. Definitely close Windows explorer under Windows processes (I have 21 processes total) each time after you have opened your Media player screen. See the tip here in the thread. All said and done I achieve far more optimization manually than AO achieves in Windows 10.

Really where AO shines, I would imagine, is with Windows Server (never tried it), not so much in Windows 10, in my humble opinion.

Overall, SQ is fantastic on this end with my optimized Windows 10.

without reading this lengthy thread, is there a link to the FREE script i can download and use now for windows 10 home ?

Fine. The instructions from our guide are more like a "preparation", a general best practice recommendation. But what about the several years of research and development which went into the software, into AO? All these thousands and thousands lines of code? The feedback of thousands of users which also helped to shape AO, its functionality as well as the sound quality?

You made a very bold statement, based on reading our guide but not using the software which it is all about at all?

I think i have nothing more to say.

The improvement in sound quality I get with AO (either on Win Server or Win 10) is absolutely amazing.

I agree, Phil, you are correct to call me out and clarify my statements. Making AO an automatic user friendly Windows optimization program is no small task with many lines of code. And of course feedback will be good, it does what it says.

But that doesn't mean individuals can't improve their system with Windows Optimization as efficiently or better on their own. For one, they won't have AO hanging around their necks. The whole idea of Windows Optimization is to eliminate as many processes and services as possible, including programs. AO could be just that, an unnecessary program.

Really I was considering purchasing AO, but after reading your installation instructions and AO thread thoroughly, I could only conclude, that from an optimization standpoint, as defined above, that AO offered myself no additional benefits above my own Windows 10 optimization (as performed in this thread). Obviously, I would love to be shown that I am wrong.

without reading this lengthy thread, is there a link to the FREE script i can download and use now for windows 10 home ?

beerandmusic, post #13 and #39, are the big ones. You should read thru the thread to get tips on how to optimize for your needs also. But start with those two.

I never said one can't improve his system more by hands than with AO :-) it's just unlikely to happen for a non-computer expert.

Don't think what you can see about AO's features in the guide is all it does with your setup. What you can see in the Guide is only what AO also lets decide about, nothing more. But most of its code and tweaks won't ask you anything, you can't see them and they're not listed anywhere.

Maybe i just got it all wrong because i am not a native speaker, but your posting sounded like "my system sounds better manually tweaked than using AO to do so". But as it turned out, you never used AO so you have no personal experience with AO.

We offer a trial of AO, by the way :-)

Cheers,

Phil