IGNORED

DAC/Preamp combos

Hi all -

I'm researching a dac/preamp combo to use in a speaker-based system.

It must contain an analog input for vinyl, and preferably have the volume control in the analog domain as well as fully balanced circuitry and outputs.

Does not necessarily need DSD......

I've identified these as possibilities:

Emotiva DC-1

Oppo HA-1

Benchmark DAC-2 HGC

Grace m920

Bel Canto 2.5?

Are there others I'm missing?

Thanks,

Both Mytek DACs. The Mahnattan even has an optional phono stage.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Leema Accoustics. Audiolab 8200DQ. Rotel RC1570 and RC1590. Naim NAC-N 172XS and 272.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Amr dp-777

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

W4S mPRE?

Sent from my HTC_0PFJ50 using Tapatalk

Man Cave: 2CH: VPI Aries Scout + Hana SL MC Cart > Gold Note PH-10 / PS Audio PW Transport / Innous ZEN Mini Mk 3 (ROON Core) + LPSU > PS Audio DirectStream Jnr > Ayre KX-5 > Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblocks > Dynaudio Focus 380's HT: Sony 4K BD > Sony VW60 > Integra DRX3.1 > Dynaudio X24 Centre + Monitor Audio rears. Family Room: 2CH: Matrix Mini-i 3Pro > Bel Canto Pre3 > Bel Canto REf500s 2CH AMP HT: Sony UHD BD > Denon X4000 > Dynaudio Emit 20 + X22 Centre + in-ceiling B&W's.

Cables & Misc: Man Cave: PAD Musaeus & Antipodes Komako XLR's / Bills Pinnacle Speak Cables / Audio Principe & Voodoo Power Cords + Isotek Aquarius Power Conditioner Family Room: Audio Principe XLR's, Speaker & Power Cables / Elijah USB cables.

Tubes: 12AX7/ECC83: NOS Telefunken 1963, Mullard CV492, Brimar + Stock Elecktra Harmonix. 12AU7/ECC82: NOS Valvo E80CC's, 1963 RCA "Conn" Organs Long Plate Clear tops, RCA Blackplates, Tungstrum + Stock Electra Harmonix.  KT120: Tsung-Tol

I have been using the KRK Ergo for many years. The volume controller is a PGA4311, digital contrôled analog controller. It is four channel balanced output. Built in software crossover for 2.1 and 2.2 system use. Plus Lyngdorf Room Perfect DRC.

The analog input is digitized to 96k/24. This is and FireWire connectivity are the two weaknesses. But FW is a plus in my opinion.

With a better supply than the supplied wallwart it plays great. And is extremely flexible.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I am thinking something like the Oppo BDP-105, with the addition of a few more HDMI inputs and better control functions for the preamp portion. Most of the alternatives listed above are for units without HDMI. I would love an all in-one unit.

Thanks for all the input....decided on the Oppo HA-1.

It was the exact opposite in my case. After reading that piece, I decided that it was just too biased in favor of a new product from Schitt Audio.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

I am thinking something like the Oppo BDP-105, with the addition of a few more HDMI inputs and better control functions for the preamp portion. Most of the alternatives listed above are for units without HDMI. I would love an all in-one unit.

Save your money and look elsewhere. Worst 'hifi' purchase I ever made. This thing is for spinning bluray, that is it. Don't believe all their marketing hype.