IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Jason my vote would go to Lightning server instead, but Minimserver,, as you say, is straight forward.

OK. It all depends on what's important to someone. I don't b/c "The" listing info isn't like Minimserver.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Installation of MinimServer on Synoogy is indeed straightforward, but I hope I can settle for LDS. My main reason to buy an Aries Mini is to leave IT as much as possible out of the room. I am an IT pro ;) but when I want to listen to music I want a troublefree system just to ... listen to music! My current setup with MacBook Pro amd Audirvana causes trouble, upgrade MacOS, A+, iTunes and then sometimes it won't work.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

What are the pros and cons of minim vs LDS?

There's a lot posted about this stuff in the Aries hardware thread, but from what I recall, people choose MinimServer because LDS had (has?) a problem with album cover art. This problem may have been solved with the latest firmware upgrade (from last week). Second advantage of MinimServer: you can define rules how it handles The, A, ... when sorting on Artist.

LDS has advantages as well. In general it's Auralic's own software so, it will support best all functions of Aries Mini. From what I've read it's easy to refresh the library and in a certain setup (I thought with a drive attached with USB to the Aries / internal HDD) it will even do so automatically. Is that correct Jason?

Depending on your set-up with Aries Mini you can control the volume of the analogue output of the Aries Mini from within the iOS apps (in this case play music using the internal DAC). If an external DAC is connected you can also control volume, but this mechanism offers less quality. I'd use as a stepped volume mute function.

Jason has a lot of experience, so maybe he can add to this.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Thanks Johan. The The thing would be a pain. volume control is irrelevant to me too.

Any other comments Jason?

I can understand that! And frankly,I don't get it why Auralic hasn't offered a feature for it. It ain't that hard and it has been requested A LOT.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

I can understand that! And frankly,I don't get it why Auralic hasn't offered a feature for it. It ain't that hard and it has been requested A LOT.

I don't know if Minimserver can do that, but LDS let you search by file type (DSD) or sampling rate etc and filter with the same criteria... And soon, you will be able to edit the meta data content directly on the IOS app via LDS.

But i agree that the "The" sort option is just an obvious one and must be implemented ASAP. I think it's not so difficult.

Regarding the cover art issue, it depends of how you are using it. If you are using embedded artwork, it works nice. If you are using external file (folder.jpg ...) you must ensure that the file has the right name and extension. With the new firmware, its now case insensitive so folder.jpg or Folder.jpg will work. .JPEG extension has been added too.

I think rather than just beat the subject to death every user should just try them both and decide which they want to use. Once installed you can swap between them and decide for yourself. If you want what's probably the easiest then use the AURALiC server. It's already there so you just enter a few credentials and that's it. Minimserver isn't hard to install at all but it does take a few extra steps. Either way, they both work and sound the same so it's really up to you.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

As far as my knowledge goes it's about equal to the Auralic PS. My mail made some noise today. Maybe next week a black one...

That LPS seems to be well regarded. I've just ordered the PCB and parts from amb. Have you identified a suitable enclosure yet?

It's so quiet here... Almost too quiet! All eagerly awaiting the big bang!? Hopefully next week with Aries Mini's arriving at our doorsteps, LDS 2.3 and perhaps even the iPhone app!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Just got an answer from Auralic on their Facebook page: next week is indeed the 'big bang' :)

"AURALiC Hi, Johan: The shipment just arrived in Germany today. The LDS 2.3 is currently in review by Apple."

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Expected mine to arrive this week... and it did not. Disappointed. It's a black one so it might take a little later to arrive in the UK.

What about some reviews?!

See above. Mine is black.

I pre-ordered a white one, as the black units were all gone already. I don't mind about the colour of the box, it's in a (vented) cabinet anyway. My tube amp is in the open air, but DAC and Aries Mini are inside the cabinet. My DAC (Wadia121) has never run hot, and neither do the power supplies. This way my wife is also happy with my hobby :D.

Btw, some may notice that I live in the Netherlands. However, I ordered one from Germany. It's nearby anyway and at the time it looked like Germany would receive units (months) earlier than the Dutch resellers.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Hi jtwrace

I have read your comments and I think I understand.

I am planning to use the Mini with an internal HDD and fed directly into my Nait 2 (no external DAC). Am I correct in thinking that the Auralic LPS makes a hell of a difference in this set up and is worth the investment? I will of course audition but it would be good to hear others views.

Many thanks

Neil

Btw, some may notice that I live in the Netherlands. However, I ordered one from Germany. It's nearby anyway and at the time it looked like Germany would receive units (months) earlier than the Dutch resellers.

Looks like there is no difference between German and Dutch deliveries. I got a mail from a Dutch supplier who said they were expecting the Mini's coming week. Would be nice of course...

Looks like there is no difference between German and Dutch deliveries. I got a mail from a Dutch supplier who said they were expecting the Mini's coming week. Would be nice of course...

Yes, indeed, it changed a bit during the past months. However, it was (including shipment) about €15 cheaper in Germany as well. That saved me a CD ;)

I hope the Aries Mini will arrive soon in Leeuwarden! My grandfather was born in Tytsjerksteradiel, btw. So, I've some Fries blood :)

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline