IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

When using an external DAC, did you find the Aries PS made a significant difference compared to the stock PS?

Speaking another language I think I don't understand? :)

Is the ES9018 still inside the Mini? (I am on the list to buy one and use it with a separate DAC. But my DAC died a couple of weeks ago (new one on the way) so a back up DAC is a nice thought.

The above was the question asked. So, if using the MINI as a streamer/dac the difference is massive.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hi

@jtwrace

It would be great if you could give some impressions on using the Aries Mini as a standalone usb DAC in a stereo setup?

Compared to say similar priced Mirco iDSD and maybe the Concero HD (same 9018-2m chip as the Mini).

I am looking for a DAC around the same price tag. If the Aries Mini is as good as a DAC then having the additional Streamer options

will make it the best choice for me.

So it will be great if you give some impressions on the DAC part. Thanks

Hi

@jtwrace

It would be great if you could give some impressions on using the Aries Mini as a standalone usb DAC in a stereo setup?

Compared to say similar priced Mirco iDSD and maybe the Concero HD (same 9018-2m chip as the Mini).

I am looking for a DAC around the same price tag. If the Aries Mini is as good as a DAC then having the additional Streamer options

And also when using it with an external DAC please . . .

Jason,

I hope you can spend a few minutes comparing the Mini (standalone DAC sq) to the Vega. Why? Because in this hobby it does not surprise me that the final 5-10% cost an order of magnitude to get there. Nevermind the functionality or flexibility.

Michael Lavorgna heard it in prototype mode at Munich and said the dropoff in sq wasn't much (but indeed a dropoff); these comments are at a show environment of course. I passed on his comments on an Audio Circle thread. A user, jarcher, lambasted those comments and basically chastised us for perpetuating them!

Auralic Aries Mini

I'd like to hear from you, a veteran Auralic user, with both products in the safe and familiar confines of your home system, what you think the dropoff is. Thx

Hi

@jtwrace

Comparing the Micro iDSD and MINI is interesting. Sonically I'll say they're similar but the MINI with it's functionality if only being used in house is hands down the way to go IMO. I only use my Micro for travel though. The MINI is a real high end product that serves a purpose if the streaming part is what you're after. For less money and a year of TIDAL included I don't see how anyone could want more. Also, if one was to save some money and add a LPS to it the performance only gets better. As noted above this is when using the MINI as a streamer/dac. Not only streamer as I don't think there was a difference there. If there was it was small IMO. Of course this is all subjective.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

And also when using it with an external DAC please . . .

I mentioned that above. It works great into my Vega and other dacs. No complaints whatsoever. Compared to my ARIES with the UpTone Audio JS-2 and using the stock AURALiC LPS on the MINI is quite scary to be honest. Given the cost difference it makes me sad.

Jason,

I hope you can spend a few minutes comparing the Mini (standalone DAC sq) to the Vega. Why? Because in this hobby it does not surprise me that the final 5-10% cost an order of magnitude to get there. Nevermind the functionality or flexibility.

Michael Lavorgna heard it in prototype mode at Munich and said the dropoff in sq wasn't much (but indeed a dropoff); these comments are at a show environment of course. I passed on his comments on an Audio Circle thread. A user, jarcher, lambasted those comments and basically chastised us for perpetuating them!

Auralic Aries Mini

I'd like to hear from you, a veteran Auralic user, with both products in the safe and familiar confines of your home system, what you think the dropoff is. Thx

OK, Ted. I'm not as good as you are but lets take a ride. Comparing the MINI as a dac/streamer to the MINI and Vega combo is quite interesting. Using the AURALiC LPS on the MINI is a must IMO for you want the "best" sound it can produce. However, when all said and done the difference is maybe 20%. I had a very long listening session yesterday and actually forgot what I was listening to and it was enjoyable beyond belief. The one option that I LOVE with the MINI is the filter setting from within LDS. I was listening to something and it was a bit harsh, I opened the app and clicked on "smooth" and all was better. I'm pretty sure the stock AURALiC LPS is $299 and it's quite good actually.

Hi,

One major fail with it will be the lack of an Android app to control it, iPad/iPod only I'm afraid. Which is ok if you already have an iPad/iPod, however .......

Mike.

I'll disagree.

ARIES MINI Filter Mode

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21569[/ATTACH]

Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for all your efforts to keep us updated!

Besides support for the Mini, have you noticed any other new features and inprovements with LDS 2.3? :)

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Hi,

One major fail with it will be the lack of an Android app to control it, iPad/iPod only I'm afraid. Which is ok if you already have an iPad/iPod, however .......

Mike.

Auralic has a HTML5 webcontrol in the works. Mr. Xuanqian Wang told this somewhere in another thread on CA. So you can use that on your Android, MacOS and Windows device.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Auralic has a HTML5 webcontrol in the works. Mr. Xuanqian Wang told this somewhere in another thread on CA. So you can use that on your Android, MacOS and Windows device.

Link: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/index61.html#post466994

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for all your efforts to keep us updated!

Besides support for the Mini, have you noticed any other new features and inprovements with LDS 2.3? :)

No, 2.3 is for MINI support as far as I know. Even the firmware update was too and there are two new features there but I haven't had a chance to test them as it just came and they're for the ARIES.

I hope that i will not be the standard solution ... Because it will require more power from the Aries Hardware :

- Serve the gui with an Web server (HTTP server like nginx or light httpd)

- Database handled by the Aries

- Database files and artwork cache stored in a local disk or NAS

A iPad 2 or 3 can not handle all of this smoothly (Database almost) and with this kind of setup, if you have a NAS, the gui application will not run smoothly because the Aries will serve the web page, respond to HTML5 request, do the work on the Database on the network from the NAS (same thing for the artwork). And all of this during playback ...

So browsing music will not be as smooth (search tracks, display artwork etc ...)

Remember, Aries has 512MB or 1GB memory. It's very light to handle all this functionnalities. With big database, there will be some issues.

It will be worst than have everything on the iPad and let all the Aries do the playing and nothing more (just handle request for play, pause next ...)

I hope that the iPad version will stay and to have an option to disable all the services related to HTML5 webcontrol to ensure maximum horse power only for the playback

I hope that the iPad version will stay and to have an option to disable all the services related to HTML5 webcontrol to ensure maximum horse power only for the playback

As far as I know iOS (both iPad and iPhone) will be supported by Auralic with native apps. So no concern there. The webcontrol (when it comes someday) allows to control the Aries with other platforms.

It's rather simple. If you own or buy an Aries (Mini) now, just make sure you have an iPad 3/4, iPad Air 1 or 2 for the best experience. Guess the iPhone / iPod app will work well as well, but personally I like a bigger screen. Otherwise you can settle for other control apps, also on Android, but some functionality wil lack then.

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline

As far as I know iOS (both iPad and iPhone) will be supported by Auralic with native apps. So no concern there. The webcontrol (when it comes someday) allows to control the Aries with other platforms.

It's rather simple. If you own or buy an Aries (Mini) now, just make sure you have an iPad 3/4, iPad Air 1 or 2 for the best experience. Guess the iPhone / iPod app will work well as well, but personally I like a bigger screen. Otherwise you can settle for other control apps, also on Android, but some functionality wil lack then.

I have an iPad 2. Are you sYing I will have problems?

I just hope to have the possibility to disable all the things related to Webcontrol if i don't want to use it :) Less things running = less bugs = more performance :)

Depending of your library size, it can take some time to have results during a search. Memory can be an issue to have a smooth experience. CPU power too :)

With my Ipad Air 2 and a little library (4000 songs) it's very very fast and smooth. Auralic supports says that the maximul library size is 1 000 000 tracks max. So with this kind of library, you'd better have more horse power.

You will need some storage too, because all the data are stored in the iPad. With my library (4000 songs) Lightning DS consume 2GB (data + artwork cache)

Like deuch said: LDS will work, but you might run into performance issues. These were reported a while back, and although LDS was improved a bit on this matter, still users reported slower performance especially while scrolling through album covers.

I don't know your local (second hand) market, but last month I upgraded my iPad 3 to an iPad Air (Air 1 not Air 2) for € 49,--. Well worth the investment!

Audio

~ and ~

Powerline