IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

Just got one last night - too early to have impressions on sound quality. Odd question - I'm new to UPNP and kind of hate what I've seen so far. I'd love to be able to control the mini with iPeng or OrangeSqeeze, the controllers I know from the Squeezebox ecosystem. If anyone has any insight into making that work, I'd appreciate it.

FWIW - I've installed the UPNP bridge plug in for the Squeezebox server. It won't find the Mini as a renderer.

Does the Aries Mini do Native DSD or only DSD over PCM. If it does, does that mean I have to uncheck the DoP option in Lightening DS.

Thx

Sam

It can do either but it depends on what Operating system and DAC you are running. General rule of thumb for most DACs and OS's is if you are running Windows and you have a driver for your DAC, you should be able to use native without DoP, if you have a Mac you should be using DoP.

Again that is the general rule, what DAC and machine are you using with the Aries?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Just got one last night - too early to have impressions on sound quality. Odd question - I'm new to UPNP and kind of hate what I've seen so far. I'd love to be able to control the mini with iPeng or OrangeSqeeze, the controllers I know from the Squeezebox ecosystem. If anyone has any insight into making that work, I'd appreciate it.

FWIW - I've installed the UPNP bridge plug in for the Squeezebox server. It won't find the Mini as a renderer.

Hi Ismarketing

Have you set the Mini's operating mode to UPnP (as opposed to OpenHome)?

The Squeeze2UPnP/UPnP Bridge LMS plugin only works with standard UPnP renderers, not OpenHome Media (ohMedia aka UPnP with Linn extensions) ones. See here and further posts for discussion on subject in the main Aries hardware thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/index109.html#post484068

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Yes best digital front end so far, >N-Cores > Quad ESL.

Soundstage is now 'wider' than my room.

Using output into a std Mdac, next to try a full blown John Westlake Mdac into modded Yamaha NS 1000M.

Strange how the settings and now now my library has appeared on my Android Ver 4.4.2 tablet via Lightning DS.

Someone is obviously working on it, will be interesting to see if it can be connected to my mates network via Android.

It can do either but it depends on what Operating system and DAC you are running. General rule of thumb for most DACs and OS's is if you are running Windows and you have a driver for your DAC, you should be able to use native without DoP, if you have a Mac you should be using DoP.

Again that is the general rule, what DAC and machine are you using with the Aries?

Baddog

Thx. Im using the aries mini internal dac.

For me it is (only exception Aries Mini 2). My set up is small (RP6/Rega Apollo R/Aries Mini + LPS/CB Nait 2/Guru Juniors)and I stopped chasing hi-if nirvana some time ago.

Contented and smiling.

Oh no it is'nt. what you need now is a 4 box Paradise phono stage for your TT..........

After trying SSD internally in the Mini I've returned to using NAS as source running Lightning server. I found that using internal SSD with Mini caused some of the same results I experienced using media player and SSD source on same PC. High frequencies were sharpened for clarity but mid range was diluted for tonal color richness. Which is not to say internal SSD was bad, just that I am acutely sensitive to mid range tone color correctness. Without a doubt internal SSD is the way to start if you don't already have a quality NAS>

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

., just that I am acutely sensitive to mid range tone color correctness..

Hence the Maggies, never actually heard a pair though they are on a list somewhere.....

Quad 989 ESL here, Midrange, it's where all the action is, well the soul but without the kick to the stomach.

So impressed with the increased SQ from my Mdac which I was'nt expecting I have just commissioned a LPS from the guy who built my Paradise phono stage..

I only bought the Mini as a local server front end, but it has elevated SQ to that of a JW modded Mdac..

Listening to the Mini with SBooster LPS... Guess I can sell my Wadia121 (!) I have to find a solution for the headphones though. Later more!

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Baddog

Thx. Im using the aries mini internal dac.

I would recommend trying it with DoP off. Keep volume low when you try it.

p.s I believe since I have been testing my Aries with it as both a streamer to a DAC and a standalone streamer/DAC that I have always had the setting as DoP. I will try it with that setting turned off, I cannot help but think it doesn't matter if you are using the DAC function. But not sure yet.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Ok I tested it both way when using the DAC in the Aries Mini, it works with DoP enabled and with DoP disabled. I believe this setting only matters when streaming to an external DAC.

Barr

I do not know of the two DACs you mention but I used to own an Arcam irDAC with SBT as the front end. The internal DAC of the Mini is vastly improved by a LPS. I no longer have the irDAC as the Mini with the LPS is good enough for me.

Giant Killer? At this price I would have to say yes, just for the streamer let alone the DAC as well.

Received mine with the linear psu a few days ago. Intial setup was pc, dedicated usb card, jitterbug, ipower usb, ilink, oyade coax, nad m51, primare pre + power 30, sonus faber grand piano domus & rel t7. Started with mini trough coax direct to nad, then tried with usb out trough ilink, to finally realize the aries mini dac sounds better than the nad m51. So than I tested the mini outs to the primare pre vs direct to the power amp. The final being the best sounding. Conlusion: simple is better and the mini is a great device.

I am curious about this one. My past experience with Prima Luna integrated was that DAC controlled volume sounded better direct to amp than through the pre section of the Prima Luna. However with separate pre like CJ PV10A or the Microzotl 2 more musical detail was extracted using separate pre. I always pegged this as a separate pre was electronically designed to do the job whereas an input device had lesser engineering, only a steady state condition to design for. WIll give this a shot and see if I prefer direct vs the Microzotl 2 as pre.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system