IGNORED

Greatest Year Ever For Music? 1969 - Top 100 Albums

And by music, in this context, I am referring to pop/rock/folk, the modern, non-classical gamut. Happened across this list as rated by rateyourmusic.com. No idea what parameters they used in the rating, but it's certainly an interesting list. And while they didn't miss many clear choices (granted, I was only 16) they definitely included some unique choices. Anyone could subjectively argue the order, but I personally doubt there has ever been a year that produced more purely brilliant, creative and varied music.

JC

Top Albums of 1969 - Rate Your Music

I'm not a fan of such lists. I've never even heard of 10% of the artists on it. Interesting though that they chose both "The Progressive Blues Experiment" and "Second Winter" by Johnny Winter, but left off his self-titled Columbia album which was, by most accounts, his best album.

I'm not a fan of such lists. I've never even heard of 10% of the artists on it. Interesting though that they chose both "The Progressive Blues Experiment" and "Second Winter" by Johnny Winter, but left off his self-titled Columbia album which was, by most accounts, his best album.

Agreed on the question of lists like this, in general, because who can possibly say that great releases by any number of artists are truly better than the others. They vary in style, composition, performance aspects and many other things. It's the same as calling one picture painted by a world class artist better than another picture by yet another superb painter. I just find it fascinating to look back and see what incredible music was released that year, and across many genres, but specifically in the rock arena.

JC

#35 Scott Walker: Currently Gov of Wisconsin and running for President on the Silly Loony Party ticket.

Same name only (and not his real name). But I'm pretty sure you knew that. :)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Walker_%28singer%29

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

It's all old stuff. Probably meant something to people young to middle aged at the time. I remember them as classic rock but they meant nothing much in my youth and even less now. Probably just some old folks nostalgia hit.

Sad that you feel that way and can't understand what came before, and made everything else possible.

JC

I am aware that the OP excludes classical from the definition of music for this thread; nevertheless, in my opinion, the greatest day for music (Western music at least) was 10 June 1865 in Munich with the creation of Richard Wagner's Tristan und Isolde by Hans von Bülow.

I am aware that the OP excludes classical from the definition of music for this thread; nevertheless, in my opinion, the greatest day for music (Western music at least) was 10 June 1865 in Munich with the creation of Richard Wagner's Tristan und Isolde by Hans von Bülow.

With all respect, Boris, the greatest "day" for music is a substantially different topic thatn the greatest year. But I thank you for making me aware of your thoughts on this as my classical education is sadly lacking.

JC

For me 1995 would be the year ... from Blur and Oasis through Pulp, Radiohead Smashing Pumpkins and Bjork. Formative in my life experiences and the year I bought my first "real" HiFi (Rotel CD player, Rega amp and Mission speakers).

Now I wonder if I've given my age away.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 months later...

To me, 1973 seems like a pretty iconic year in music.

DSotM

Tres Hombres

Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd

I could have sworn there were others but those are the most noteworthy at first glance...

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

64-78. Greatest era in music history. What happened!

Blizzard

Did we get older?

I agree with your summary of 1964 - 1978, but that suits my age at the time. Now in my 70's, I probably listen to a lot more music from 1995 - 2015!?

Perhaps I need to revisit 1964 - 1978!

Cheers

Frank