IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

9 hours ago, Assisi said:

I am aware that many posters in this thread use an EtheREGEN.  I tried an EtheREGEN in my network.  I consider in my situation the device was not as beneficial as other switches with optical connection capabilities.  My AOC connection is between a SOtM sNH-10G +sCLK_EX, and a Melco S100.  My network also includes 3 x Waversa and 2 x Nordost switches connected RJ45. 

John

Thank you for all this detailed information.  For now it is useful food for thought as I start thinking about what my next steps might be.

hltf

On 4/27/2024 at 7:10 PM, Assisi said:

My AOC connection is between a SOtM sNH-10G +sCLK_EX, and a Melco S100.  My network also includes 3 x Waversa and 2 x Nordost switches connected RJ45. 

So that tallies up to around $12K+ in Ethernet switches!

Sorry if our humble—yet chock full of unique tech and costly chips—$680 EtherREGEN got lost in your mix. 9_9

Obviously yours is not a typical use case…

I have compared the ER head to head with a Silent Angel N16 and an LHY SW-10 in my system. Powered by a Pardo MiniTeddy supply, the ER beats both. I have read posts by people who compared an ER to a Melco S100 and preferred the ER, but I don't recall what ancillaries were used with the ER. As always, there's no "one true way" in audio, but the exceptional value of the ER is inarguable. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Obviously yours is not a typical use case…

As I said in my post above

“I am aware that many posters in this thread use an EtheREGEN”

It just wasn’t for me

I am aware that with the release of the EtheREGEN it was the start of the move to audio network switches.

My situation with more than one switch is not unique.  I am aware of others who have more switches than I have. One thing I have found in my situation is that 2 or more switches can be better than just one.  Each switch can add its own flavour to the outcome.  Through trialling it is important to determine the sequence of the switches, cables, resonance and interference strategies, network speed and power supplies.  With the switches that I now have, the network speed is limited to 100mgb.  I consider that is a benefit

I have never been pleased with optical until I tried the Cisco AOC. Initially I tried compatible AOCs.  Not impressed.  I have a box of various AOCs, SFPs and cables that I no longer use.  I always felt that whilst there was an upside to optical there was a downside.  There was a minor negative impact on dynamics.  With the Cisco AOC I am happy.

John

I was reading earlier comments about SFP28 being downwards-compatible with 1G/10G etc. I'm looking at various motherboard options for a new music server and this one looks interesting because it has 2 x 25G optic cages built in: https://servers.asus.com/products/servers/server-motherboards/K14PA-U12#Features

I'm interested in Cisco AOC cables or similar and wondered whether I can just use a standard 25G to 25G like this: SFP-25G-AOC5M Cisco 5M SFP28 to SFP28 Active Optical Cable (https://serversfit.co.uk/sfp-25g-aoc5m-cisco-5m-sfp28-to-sfp28-active-optical-cable.html?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMPj6YHqhQMVpZNQBh2Axwq7EAYYBCABEgJaUfD_BwE) or do I need to find a cable that takes care of the "downspeed" eg 25G to 1G?

Thanks for any help.

39 minutes ago, Crom said:

I was reading earlier comments about SFP28 being downwards-compatible with 1G/10G etc. I'm looking at various motherboard options for a new music server and this one looks interesting because it has 2 x 25G optic cages built in: https://servers.asus.com/products/servers/server-motherboards/K14PA-U12#Features

I'm interested in Cisco AOC cables or similar and wondered whether I can just use a standard 25G to 25G like this: SFP-25G-AOC5M Cisco 5M SFP28 to SFP28 Active Optical Cable (https://serversfit.co.uk/sfp-25g-aoc5m-cisco-5m-sfp28-to-sfp28-active-optical-cable.html?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMPj6YHqhQMVpZNQBh2Axwq7EAYYBCABEgJaUfD_BwE) or do I need to find a cable that takes care of the "downspeed" eg 25G to 1G?

Thanks for any help.

It depends on where you want the network connection to go. If you are going 25->25 then an AOC should work (assuming its compatible with your SFP28 cage). I have no idea of a 1G SFP device will handle a 25G AOC cable. Its not that the cable cant do 1G its that the 1G SFP cage may not work with the 25G AOC cable

You are typically safer connecting a 25G SFP28 via e.g single mode to a 1G SFP

Now this also depends on the driver built into your motherboard which *should* autosense but might need to be manually set to 1G

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

25 minutes ago, jabbr said:

It depends on where you want the network connection to go. If you are going 25->25 then an AOC should work (assuming its compatible with your SFP28 cage). I have no idea of a 1G SFP device will handle a 25G AOC cable. Its not that the cable cant do 1G its that the 1G SFP cage may not work with the 25G AOC cable

You are typically safer connecting a 25G SFP28 via e.g single mode to a 1G SFP

Now this also depends on the driver built into your motherboard which *should* autosense but might need to be manually set to 1G

It would have been helpful if I'd provided what will be hanging off the other end. In the back of my mind was the fact that I would be plugging this into an etheregen!

1 hour ago, Crom said:

It would have been helpful if I'd provided what will be hanging off the other end. In the back of my mind was the fact that I would be plugging this into an etheregen!

The question is, then, whether the EtherRegen will accept/work with a SFP28 AOC cable... it might or it might not. 

What would be gained in going to 25G?  The only thing that I can think of is maybe, lower jitter?  But I cannot find anything conclusive regarding jitter spec.  Latency and/or bandwidth aren't an issue with 10G for home use.  

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; LHY SW-10, SW-6, FMC; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Studio HD (x4) Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub; All cabling by Audio Sensibility

52 minutes ago, SQFIRST said:

Very unlikely that 1G cage will accept a 25G module. The form and dimensions of quad speed modules appear to be slightly bigger and different than sfp/+.

Its not that the QSFP28 modules are quad speed, its that they are essentially 4x SFP28 co-packaged. To operate over a single mode LC-LC duplex cable the QSFP28 100Gbe module has to multiplex 4 channels, for example by using 4 different laser frequencies each carrying 25G

11 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Of course the required jitter specs are published as part of the stressed eye and its conclusive that 25G requires a tighter spec than 10G. Unsure that matters for us though. The 25G spec is the first optical spec that includes multirate support ie 25,10,5,2.5,1 G in the same device --- multirate has been present in copper ethernet forever.

None of this is actually new, Ive been using 100Gbe i.e. QSFP28 at home for some years now, its just that the costs are getting down to reasonable for most people. I've also posted for a long time that I can't hear a difference in SQ going to 25 nor 100Gbe

This *is* a good time to make the point that the 100Gbe devices which require vanishingly low jitter in order to work, DO NOT use special power supplies nor clock crystals, rather the clocking electronics have become rather sophisticated

Thanks @jabbr.  Very helpful info.  I will say, I thought I was near the pinnacle of SQ through fiber optics until I added an LHY SW-10 switch.  It (re?)clocks the optical ports too and not just the copper ports.  And what a huge difference it made to SQ to clock my fiber lead right before going into my Lumin U2 sfp cage.  Best tweak I've bought to date.

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; LHY SW-10, SW-6, FMC; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Studio HD (x4) Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub; All cabling by Audio Sensibility

17 minutes ago, jabbr said:

This *is* a good time to make the point that the 100Gbe devices which require vanishingly low jitter in order to work, DO NOT use special power supplies nor clock crystals, rather the clocking electronics have become rather sophisticated

This is good to know. What changes did you experience going to 100GBE devices with regards to power domain separation/control? I imagine your audio is still protected behind isolated power and clean power at the endpoint?

21 hours ago, SQFIRST said:

This is good to know. What changes did you experience going to 100GBE devices with regards to power domain separation/control? I imagine your audio is still protected behind isolated power and clean power at the endpoint?

Right, only optical and isolated power into my audio domain. No 100Gbe devices, only the audio endpoints -- I *have* used 10Gbe PCIe cards when I was building PC based endpoints. The endpoints are within the audio power domain and output USB etc so its reasonable to optimize them. That said @Jud recently posted the fiberoptic USB cable experience!

6 hours ago, jabbr said:

You know completely honestly in this hobby when you hear something more pleasing to your ear you don't need to question it.

Also to be clear, my audio area is protected by a heavyweight balanced power wall and cheap switching PSUs in my house, my fridge etc can't reasonably/appreciably penetrate that iron. If I had an ethernet switch within my audio power domain, then yeah all sorts of stuff becomes important.

Yes, until someone like @jabbr posts about 100G tech and the lack of need for re-clocking 🤣 I am wondering how much better 100G is vs 10G and if upgrading a switch could do exactly what the OCXO in the LHY is doing.  Guess I will have to try a new switch at some point to see.

Nice job with the 'firewall'.  I did have two fresh 20A circuits installed around 4 years ago with (4) Oyaide wall outlets.  This made a tremendous change in noise.  Especially noticeable (or not noticeable now) with phono preamps.