IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

41 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Almost correct.  I do not count my Waversa filter reference as a switch.  The third switch and last in the network before the Filter is a Waversa Hub3.  On its own I was not overly impressed.  When it is connected though to the Filter something special happens.  There is a synergy between the two components.

In a review the reviewer said

"   the WSmarthub brings changes to the overall structure, the W LAN-EXT1 can be said to express the
sophistication of the interior of the structure."

This is a bit off topic.  My initial post was about a DAC cable Vs the Cisoc AOC and where I  have the two AOC connected switches in my network.  Plus my interest in the Melco DAC cable.

John

Thanks. The reason I would suggest it’s sort of on-topic is that the effectiveness of a cable can in my experience varies based on where it’s installed = which two devices it’s connecting. For example, my own unsatisfactory experience of a DAC cable was between switch and streamer (the last stage of my network) and here an optical cable was far more effective at breaking the noise chain; elsewhere results my vary.

Reiki Audio

Thanks @Assisi for all the details. That’s probably the most complex network I’ve seen but as you say if it sounds so good then you’re not exactly incentivised to try tweaking eg the sequence further.  Enjoy, and thanks again.

Reiki Audio

On 3/31/2024 at 1:50 PM, audiom3 said:

Mikrotik CRR309 and CRS310 worked for me. I also have a cheapie from Binardat that works fine (currently in use w/ a 1318 transceiver). I don't see it for sale any longer though but there were several clones on Amazon at the time I purchased it. Just differing name badges.

I just noticed that the above Mikrotiks are claiming 1G switches now and not 10G? That's a strange move if true. 

Hello:

I am wondering whether anyone could please tell me if this pair of Open SFP Slot 1.25G/s Gigabit Fiber Ethernet Media Converters  that I found on Amazon will work for a pair of Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL that I just acquired?

AMAZON LINK 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C2TC91X3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DVPBHCZB4LFA&th=1

Thanks very much

hltf

13 hours ago, hltf said:

Hello:

I am wondering whether anyone could please tell me if this pair of Open SFP Slot 1.25G/s Gigabit Fiber Ethernet Media Converters  that I found on Amazon will work for a pair of Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL that I just acquired?

AMAZON LINK 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C2TC91X3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DVPBHCZB4LFA&th=1

Thanks very much

Also, if there is another converter that performs better that info would be much appreciated.  

hltf

@hltf I own a pair of those FMCs but to be honest, I do not recall for certain if they work with Finisar 1318s.  Those were a bit more temperamental than 10Gtek FMCs.  I own many 10Gteks and they are quite versatile.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZ7HXMR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

But I have moved away from generic/less expensive FMCs completely, to ones made by LHY.  They're certainly not cheap but the price to improvement in SQ is well worth it to me.  I use their SW-6 switch as a 5:1 media converter and I also have their FMC between my NUC (running Roon ROCK) and fiber switch in my PC/server 'area'.  I just ordered a larger SW-10 switch to get all of my AV devices/endpoints onto one switch.  Still amazes me what a difference these switches/FMCs made - especially for movie soundtracks utilizing 5.1.4 Atmos.

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; LHY SW-10, SW-6, FMC; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Studio HD (x4) Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub; All cabling by Audio Sensibility

5 hours ago, audiom3 said:

@hltf I own a pair of those FMCs but to be honest, I do not recall for certain if they work with Finisar 1318s.  Those were a bit more temperamental than 10Gtek FMCs.  I own many 10Gteks and they are quite versatile.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XZ7HXMR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

But I have moved away from generic/less expensive FMCs completely, to ones made by LHY.  They're certainly not cheap but the price to improvement in SQ is well worth it to me.  I use their SW-6 switch as a 5:1 media converter and I also have their FMC between my NUC (running Roon ROCK) and fiber switch in my PC/server 'area'.  I just ordered a larger SW-10 switch to get all of my AV devices/endpoints onto one switch.  Still amazes me what a difference these switches/FMCs made - especially for movie soundtracks utilizing 5.1.4 Atmos.

@audiom3 Thank you!  This is incredibly helpful.  I ordered two 10GTeks and plan to use them with a pair of Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL.  For an optical cable I ordered this 1m LC-LC Duplex 9/125um Corning ClearCurve Single Mode Bend Insensitive Fiber which I read about further up in this overall thread.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332640995810

Actually I also also saw this Brand New Cisco SFP-10G-AOC1M 10GBASE-AOC SFP+ Cable 1 Meter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116084899540

I believe I understood also above that some people think this Cisco AOC is better than the Finisairs with cable.  Is that right? 

hltf

Yeah the ClearCurve will work great. I've no clue about an AOC because I've never experimented with them. 

Edit: since you appear to have fallen down the rabbit hole, I actually prefer these cables in my system. I have ClearCurve as well but pulled it out for these. 

SpeedyFiberTX – 1-Pack 1 Meter LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable, Corning SMF-28 Singlemode 9/125um Ultra Optical Fiber, Duplex, Yellow Riser OFNR Cable Jacket https://a.co/d/h5jeLzt

My entire LAN is now comprised of those Corning cables. 

Ayre KX-5/VX-5/QX-5 Twenty; Lumin U2 streamer w/ fiber input; Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1; LHY SW-10, SW-6, FMC; D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 for ctr, surr. & Atmos; VPI Classic w/3D Arm; Pass Labs XP-17 phono pre; Audioquest Niagara 5000; Legacy speakers: Focus SE mains, Classic surrounds; SS II center; Studio HD (x4) Atmos, Rythmik GP25 sub; All cabling by Audio Sensibility

16 minutes ago, audiom3 said:

Yeah the ClearCurve will work great. I've no clue about an AOC because I've never experimented with them. 

Edit: since you appear to have fallen down the rabbit hole, I actually prefer these cables in my system. I have ClearCurve as well but pulled it out for these. 

SpeedyFiberTX – 1-Pack 1 Meter LC to LC Fiber Patch Cable, Corning SMF-28 Singlemode 9/125um Ultra Optical Fiber, Duplex, Yellow Riser OFNR Cable Jacket https://a.co/d/h5jeLzt

My entire LAN is now comprised of those Corning cables. 

Thanks again @audiom3.  I might try the SpeedyFiber at some point.  I assume it is much better than the ClearCurve.

hltf

45 minutes ago, hltf said:

Thanks again @audiom3.  I might try the SpeedyFiber at some point.  I assume it is much better than the ClearCurve.

Well, it started with one of my ClearCurve cables literally coming apart. I may have been unlucky with the construction on one of them. But in trying several different cables, I preferred the Corning SMF-28. In my system it seemed to bring about the most balanced sound. Maybe it's less sensitive to bending than the ClearCurve? I'm not exactly sure and when I called Corning, the CS rep didn't seem to know either 😄 

3 hours ago, hltf said:

I believe I understood also above that some people think this Cisco AOC is better than the Finisairs with cable.  Is that right? 

My experience is that the Cisco AOC is superior to any SFP and attached cable.  Important that it must be genuine Cisco.  There are copies available that are not genuine and do not perform so well.  The price quoted on the link for 1mt is low.  Listed at US$300 new .  Maybe the Ebay one is 2nd hand.

John

8 hours ago, Assisi said:

My experience is that the Cisco AOC is superior to any SFP and attached cable.  Important that it must be genuine Cisco.  There are copies available that are not genuine and do not perform so well.  The price quoted on the link for 1mt is low.  Listed at US$300 new .  Maybe the Ebay one is 2nd hand.

John

Okay very good to know.  I'll be careful about this.  Thanks John @Assisi

hltf

16 hours ago, hltf said:

@audiom3 Thank you!  This is incredibly helpful.  I ordered two 10GTeks and plan to use them with a pair of Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL.  For an optical cable I ordered this 1m LC-LC Duplex 9/125um Corning ClearCurve Single Mode Bend Insensitive Fiber which I read about further up in this overall thread.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332640995810

The SMPS that comes with the 10GTek is very poor. If you want to upgrade, you should look to 5V linear power. The next upgrade could be the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe, with the same linear supply.

We recently compared my oMD and Pardo MiniTeddy to a friend's LHY SW-10 in his very high resolution system. We both preferred the oMD, He intends to replace the SW-10 with an oMD or the EtherREGEN v2.

16 hours ago, hltf said:

Actually I also also saw this Brand New Cisco SFP-10G-AOC1M 10GBASE-AOC SFP+ Cable 1 Meter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116084899540

Yes, some do, some don't. If you compare, please post here. From reading here and in other forums, I suspect you will find greater resolution with the Finisar setup and warmer tone with the Cisco. The way your system leans and your personal preferences will determine which suits you best. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

@audiobomber I never tried the SMPS on any FMC, so I'm sure that you are right. I've always had a 5v LPS unit and even used a few Jameco Reliapro units. Never in my audio path but on video streamers' FMCs. But they seemed to work well. 

There is networking and then there is the audio version of it :)

I just moved away from Corning SMF-28 to the bend-insensitive type, the opposite of @audiom3's experience. Just pointing out the variety of experience and not anything to contradict. I have some long fiber runs so that factors into it. For short 1M run if you manage to kink it up then it's on you! Jokes aside I did read up on the Corning site and there is such a thing as 'fiber fatigue'. The SMF-28's thinner core may well be playing into the perceived sound quality differences but also leading to the possible physical degradation or bend issues. That is the experience which I had reported just few posts back and @jabbr pointed out the Clearcurve.

Just another reminder that what is 'better' is a very complex answer and best not to figure that out without getting details and trying out for oneself.

@SQFIRST Corning SMF-28 is bend-insensitive - in fact, ever slightly more-so than the ClearCurve specs (I can't imagine this being the audible differences though).  I have a 15m run from a switch next to my router --> switch behind my equipment rack.  You are right that a long run makes it easier to notice differences.  I think either cable in short runs would be fantastic.

I agree with you...  Better to me (higher frequency extension with less upper bass bloat, in my system/case) may not be what's better to someone/anyone else.  Some may think that SMF-28 sounds 'thinner' in their system.  But in my system it is just a bit more balanced/natural sounding.  Audio is fun 😅

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

The SMPS that comes with the 10GTek is very poor. If you want to upgrade, you should look to 5V linear power. The next upgrade could be the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe, with the same linear supply.

We recently compared my oMD and Pardo MiniTeddy to a friend's LHY SW-10 in his very high resolution system. We both preferred the oMD, He intends to replace the SW-10 with an oMD or the EtherREGEN v2.

Yes, some do, some don't. If you compare, please post here. From reading here and in other forums, I suspect you will find greater resolution with the Finisar setup and warmer tone with the Cisco. The way your system leans and your personal preferences will determine which suits you best. 

Thanks a lot for the SQ insights @audiobomber. 

And yes, I do plan to use an Uptone JS-1 to feed both the 10GTeks.  For the moment I am using this same Uptone on my two connected TP-Link MC220CM FMC units.  These TP-Links will be replaced with the two 10GTeks fitted with the Finisair FTLF1318P3BTLs and connected using the Corning bend-insensitive connecting cable.  

hltf

31 minutes ago, audiom3 said:

Corning SMF-28 is bend-insensitive

Somehow I managed to get them wore out! Maybe it was just time for a new set in my case. Regardless, they do break down or can still cause bend issues as I experienced.

30 minutes ago, hltf said:

TP-Link MC220CM FMC units.  These TP-Links will be replaced with the two 10GTeks

What are you trying to achieve? Just asking so that folks responding to your questions can help you better. I do not see this change as being a big one and I say that because you mention using the Uptone JS-1 already, which is a high quality PS. Something like the OMD or ER, at least on the receiving end could make a bigger difference. It all depends on what you are connecting and trying to achieve.

19 minutes ago, SQFIRST said:

Somehow I managed to get them wore out! Maybe it was just time for a new set in my case. Regardless, they do break down or can still cause bend issues as I experienced.

What are you trying to achieve? Just asking so that folks responding to your questions can help you better. I do not see this change as being a big one and I say that because you mention using the Uptone JS-1 already, which is a high quality PS. Something like the OMD or ER, at least on the receiving end could make a bigger difference. It all depends on what you are connecting and trying to achieve.

Hi @SQFIRST 

I thought I understood from the discussion earlier on in this thread that having the Finisair FTLF1318P3BTLs would give me substantially better optical isolation than the TP-Links that I am currently using.  Am I wrong on that?  I wasn't really asking any new questions as I thought that to be the case based on how I read various people's experience here, so I decided to make the change on that basis.

hltf

6 minutes ago, hltf said:

I thought I understood from the discussion earlier on in this thread that having the Finisair FTLF1318P3BTLs would give me substantially better optical isolation than the TP-Links that I am currently using. 

1 hour ago, hltf said:

For the moment I am using this same Uptone on my two connected TP-Link MC220CM FMC units

@hltf wish you success with your journey! 

Nothing right or wrong about it but just asked to better understand what you expect to achieve. The TP link and the 10gtek are close in quality as to the electronics and quality. I see now that you are planning to move from an SC type cable connection to the LC type. This will result in changes related to the SFP module, yes but the overall quality of your optical setup will likely remain quite similar. This is where you are seeing folks mention the Optical module deluxe/EtherRegen/LHY switch etc. Hope this helps.