IGNORED

Schiit Yggdrasil - Best DAC available!?

Up until today, my last post in this thread was #1390 posted on 04/20/16. I was totally happy to leave things be. Baldr posted his vitriol in post #1495, to which I responded.

And I get accused of reviving this thread? It's incredible how dumb some people are.

Mani.

You were trying to revive the Yggdrasil review thread not this one . It is there for all to see

You tried but no one took the bait .

Bigbwb actually revived the thread. Then baldr picks it up with good reason. Medical issues had kept him away. So now he's able to respond. That's fine. To claim Mani is reviving this thread is truly ridiculous.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Sure looks like baldr revived the thread. With good reason. Medical issues had kept him away. So now he's able to respond. That's fine. To claim Mani is reviving this thread is truly ridiculous.

Are you reading my posts ? I said the Schiit Yggdrasil review thread where he clearly attempted to revive that thread , unsuccessfully .

The differences were noticeable. The Schiit was more laid back, less top end sizzle. The Zdac was brighter. Tough to say which one is more true to source. I felt the Schiit had a cleaner background, an overall smooth sound. I only had less than an hour to mess around. Verdict is still out yet:). Curious if others have had similar experiences? Does the multi bit Schiit dacs sound warmer overall and is this more accurate???

More to come!

Brandon

Have it warm up a few days (yes, unfortunately, days ) for the dacs to thermally stabilize, and then listen. And if you can feed it spdif, it will go up a few more notches in refinement and nuance.

This difference is verifiable, by quite a few people, so time is your friend.

Are you reading my posts ? I said the Schiit Yggdrasil review thread where he clearly attempted to revive that thread , unsuccessfully .

See I have not looked at that thread and don't give a Schiit. Why don't you post in that thread rather than this one? Would make a little bit of sense. Otherwise maybe a pm is a better method.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You mean this?

On 04/09/16, Mike Moffat wrote:

Perhaps Mani can post a -90db sine wave graphic from any other DAC which he prefers?

And on 04/21/16, I wrote:

OK. Here's the -90dB sine wave graphic for my DAC…

Yep, I'm clearly trying to revive that thread. As I said, some people are so dumb.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Have it warm up a few days (yes, unfortunately, days ) for the dacs to thermally stabilize, and then listen. And if you can feed it spdif, it will go up a few more notches in refinement and nuance.

I have both dacs and the Yggdrasil is far superior . I use the Zdac now for my outside system .

You mean this?

On 04/09/16, Mike Moffat wrote:

And on 04/21/16, I wrote:

Yep, I'm clearly trying to revive that thread. As I said, some people are so dumb.

Mani.

You forgot your comments. Here they are after you quote yourself twice :

OK, let’s see!

The sound of an AD5791 based DAC (Schiit Yggy):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...3FfY1c4WW9FQVk

The sound of a PCM1704 based DAC (Phasure NOS1a):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...l9MbWIyaXE4NVk

So what does that make the AD5791? An absolute lightweight wimp, maybe?

Mani.

I have little doubt you were trying to revive that Schiit thread.What took you so long ? You can smell a Schiit thread before anybody.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will do more listening in the coming days. I unfortunately do not have the spdif option.

Sorry to revive this thread....I had no idea what I was getting into! Yikes.

I have both dacs and the Yggdrasil is far superior . I use the Zdac now for my outside system .

Can you elaborate on the differences? Thoughts on how the Zdac compares....... Im struggling to determine if the Gumby is really laid back/warm or is the Zdac overly bright.

Thanks!

I don't think it's YashN you should be addressing here, but rather Mike Moffat:

Disgusting language from one of the Schiit founders. No wonder his partner is here doing damage limitation.

Mani.

Hey, that's their style. They called their company "Schiit Audio". ...so what do you expect?

It's fine if you don't like it. But maybe consider taking everything a little less seriously?. It's only audio and they are having some fun with it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The sound of an AD5791 based DAC (Schiit Yggy):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...3FfY1c4WW9FQVk

The sound of a PCM1704 based DAC (Phasure NOS1a):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...l9MbWIyaXE4NVk

Hey thanks for posting this! I was wondering how to revive that other thread, you know, the one that has remained dormant since I last posted on 04/21/16.

I say again, some people are so incredibly dumb.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Hey thanks for posting this! I was wondering how to revive that other thread, you know, the one that has remained dormant since I last posted on 04/21/16.

I say again, some people are so incredibly dumb.

Mani.

If i didn't you would certainly have anyway. I did you a favor.

Somehow you are one of the few here that gets away with personal attacks. Most forums would have banned you by now.

Horny, please stop... you're killing me. But I do appreciate the light relief. Better than being called a wanker, that's for sure.

Maybe there's some truth in it - I was once called it by Alan Sugar too. For those of you who don't know, (Lord) Sugar is our equivalent of The Donald, though his politics are very different. Mike Moffat - Alan Sugar... maybe there's some similarity? Yeah, there is... Amstrad were pretty schiit too!

@Firedog, I'm certainly not taking this thread too seriously ;)

Mani.

If i didn't you would certainly have anyway. I did you a favor.

Somehow you are one of the few here that gets away with personal attacks. Most forums would have banned you by now.

He's actually been a quite incredibly helpful member of this forum for many years. In this particular thread various people have made things personal, and Mani has uncharacteristically responded in kind. Having been thus sensitized, he took Mike Moffat's recent comments even more personally than they were meant. Mike does not suffer those he considers fools gladly, and also has a quite broad sense of humor.

Meanwhile, I consider Mike one of the fine designers in audio, Peter to have some really incisive ideas about DACs, and Mani to be a good guy and a friend. I've heard and liked Yggy and the Phasure DAC very much.

Can we have an entertaining conversation about audio and hopefully learn a few things along the way without all the collateral damage?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

He's actually been a quite incredibly helpful member of this forum for many years. In this particular thread various people have made things personal, and Mani has uncharacteristically responded in kind. Having been thus sensitized, he took Mike Moffat's recent comments even more personally than they were meant. Mike does not suffer those he considers fools gladly, and also has a quite broad sense of humor.

Meanwhile, I consider Mike one of the fine designers in audio, Peter to have some really incisive ideas about DACs, and Mani to be a good guy and a friend. I've heard and liked Yggy and the Phasure DAC very much.

Can we have an entertaining conversation about audio and hopefully learn a few things along the way without all the collateral damage?

Mani 's lawyer has spoken .

Mani 's lawyer has spoken .

Horny, does 'johndean' mean anything to you? If not, I think you may have a long-lost twin on this planet... down South Africa way, I think.

Mani.

Yep, please let's.

Mani.

A number of posters have become fully erect and piled on to the incorrect notion that the AD5791 has a glitching problem. This incorrect magnitude characterization (massive) is so widespread, it has even been used by the forum moderator.

Please let me indicate, with apologies, that in my catching up on this forum last night, I did indeed incorrectly report a quote by the system moderator. It turns out I confused it with another post. Mea culpa, Chris!

I don't think it's YashN you should be addressing here, but rather Mike Moffat:

Disgusting language from one of the Schiit founders. No wonder his partner is here doing damage limitation.

Mani.

Ha! Thanks.

I think it's Firedog who mentions it: look how they named the company... Don't be surprised by more vulgarity.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Ha! Thanks.

I think it's Firedog who mentions it: look how they named the company... Don't be surprised by more vulgarity.

Let he who has never been vulgar cast the first diode.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.