IGNORED

Lampizator Big 7 has landed

I begged Luk to offer an upgrade copper chassis cover al la The Golden Gate. If he ever offered that it would be mighty hard to not go for an Atlantic...

Read somewhere that a Golden Atlantic is rumoured to be in the works.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Junker,

Its is definitely coming, the Atlantic Gold... I have it on good Authority. Will be Tube rectified only.

If you do take the plunge, talk to me first by PM for any additional insights...I owe you that much from the Chord Qute days when you did me a solid.

Just a few questions if you'll indulge me.

i have been looking for a used Audio Note Dac because I love the non oversampling R2R sound. With none available for quite sometime I've switched interest to the Lampizator dacs.

1. Can anyone tell me where the Atlantic fits in the Lamp lineup quality and sound wise? Above the 4 and below the L7, above the L7 or even above the B7?

2. What difference would a rectifier tube make in the sound quality?

3. Do the lower models have the same sound signature of the upper models?

4. Not sure if anyone has any experince with Audio Note dacs but curious if they have the same organic texture to the sound?

Thank you.

Here is my take as having owned a L4, B7, GG and demoed the German Lite 7 and the fully kitted out Atlantic...tube recti/superclocks/DSD512 chipless engine on top of R2R.

GG top of the Hill, followed by B7 and pretty close behind is the tube recti Atlantic. However, the Atlantic is the latest of the latest in terms of tweaks and the b7 was 2+ year old tech. GG is back in Pol to be upgraded with latest tweaks comparable to Atlantic. Now, I can tell you that other people thought the Atlantic was the equal to the B& but on longer listening, the latest B7 wins and may even beat an old GG.

My pal in Leicht has the Atlantic now and a latest GG, and he LOVES the Atlantic, but recognizes that his GG still beats it. Value for money, the tricked out Atlantic cant be beat. The DHPs are pretty linear and I guss it loses out the the further refinement of the big DHT tubes.

SS vs Tube recti for Atlantic? TUBE!!!!!! I took along a SS plug in recti to swap with tube rectis and SS was just too 2 dimensional in comparison. The dearest tube recti was not the winner! The Soviet stock recti was good but the double mica Haltron (with ceramic spacers) was supreme! Decision was unanimous at a shootout event we did.

If you get an Atlantic, make sure to get with tube recti, chipless DSD512 addition and superclocks. That is the killer combo....or just wait for the Atlantic Gold and most of that should be standard with snazzy copper case . With the R2R doing DSD256 and PCM384, (I find)there is no need for vol control in my boooks, but its a nice to have.

Update: the AG will likely be ONLY Balanced config, but can be used in SE if possible, GG quality parts, Superclocks and tube recti standard and DSD512 as an option. Likely no VC or if so, as an option if it fits in the L4 sized chassis. The coipper case wont be offered as upgrade to normal Atlantics...makes sense, as the Gold will have much upgraded internals. I Wonder how it will fare against the B7 and GG???

In hushed circles the Atlantic is being mentioned as one of the best Lampizators barring the GG.

It is basically the L7/B7 in a direct heated pentode configuration.

The difference the tube rectifier makes is not much in comparison to the super clocks option.

The lower models do not have the same parts especially tube configuration so there are differences.

The Atlantic sound is described as more free flowing even when compared to L7/B7

Lampizator DACs are designed more like analog devices - top shelf tube sound.

Hope this helps!

Nihil, I respectfully disagree here. The tube recti is a MUST...just more 3D and whats more you can roll rectis to tailor the sound. The SS only has one defining characteristic...nice, tight bass.

The Atlantic does not have primo parts, it has moderate parts that have been tested to have huge synergy together. in effect greater than the sum of their parts aned that is strapped to the R2r engine and a great circuit to maxx out the potential of the SUPERB 4P1L DHP tube.

So, modest parts, great circuit, great tube, Great G2R engine and great synergy, makes it outstanding value for money. gets you very close, but a latest update B7 will still be the winner.

Might be a dumb question. I am getting a demo on the Lampi big 7 this weekend. It is an older version with hard wired boards, but I think it had DSD. Question, can I use Audirvana to upsample to 256 DSD. I am curious as the best feedback on the sound quality seems to be using DSD, not direct PCM. I don't think this demo DAC has the latest discrete board for PCM, so probably an R-2R chip.

Thanks guys. Wanting to hear if this Lampi beats my Audio Note DAC 5.

A+ only works on MacOS which is basically a modded Unix which is basically Linux. Linux/UNIX is restricted to DSD128 on Amanero...though they are working onlifting this blockage and should be out soon.

You basically are stuck to DSD128 unless you use Windows as of today.

With the R2R doing DSD256 and PCM384

If you could, can you clarify with respect to the new R2R. I have seen posts from others looking for clarification on this (me included). The question on Audioshark is pretty detailed but no one answered.

Lampi's sound and strength are the two dedicated circuits (PCM / DSD) and of course DHT output. When the R2R came out descriptions people used where DSD via R2R with automatic rate switching, no button etc..?

That's confusing in that the perception of R2R is strictly PCM. So:

1. Is DSD being processed by R2R on its circuit only (bypassing DSD chipless)?

2. Is there an updated version of the chipless DSD as well?

In my cartoon bubble I picture two discrete/dedicated paths (e.g. two circuit boards if you will, I understand that's not necessarily the case). Has that changed with the R2R implementation

I use HQP to upsample everything to DSD and was thinking about updating mine to the 256 or 512. I'm wanting to understand the the R2R a bit more as well as upgrading to 256/512 since I think I would only do either the DSD or R2R update (probably stick with DSD)

My rig

I will for sure. Thanks Wisnon!

Junker,

Its is definitely coming, the Atlantic Gold... I have it on good Authority. Will be Tube rectified only.

If you do take the plunge, talk to me first by PM for any additional insights...I owe you that much from the Chord Qute days when you did me a solid.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Nihil, I respectfully disagree here. The tube recti is a MUST...just more 3D and whats more you can roll rectis to tailor the sound. The SS only has one defining characteristic...nice, tight bass.

Norman, that's great feedback. The info I have is that if one had to choose - the super clocks was the bigger difference maker. Honestly I prefer tube rectification as well.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

So the consensus seems to be that the Atlantic is the way to go unless I can pony up the bucks to go for the Golden Gate, in which case I would need to include the cost of the divorce in the plan. Does anyone know when the Atlantic Golden will be launched?

With all the hubbub regarding DSD I was trying to figure out how to implement the dac. I currently have a Moon Audio Server/Dac connected to a NAS via an ethernet connection, the NAS is located in the bedroom closet away from the audio gear. With DSD, it needs to be hooked up via USB for optimal playback, correct?.

Do I need to purchase a Aurender server or something similar to place next to the dac to hook up via USB to play DSD?

I recently got away from my Mac Mini due to the the problematic 3rd party apps trying to use it headlessly.

So the consensus seems to be that the Atlantic is the way to go unless I can pony up the bucks to go for the Golden Gate, in which case I would need to include the cost of the divorce in the plan. Does anyone know when the Atlantic Golden will be launched?

With all the hubbub regarding DSD I was trying to figure out how to implement the dac. I currently have a Moon Audio Server/Dac connected to a NAS via an ethernet connection, the NAS is located in the bedroom closet away from the audio gear. With DSD, it needs to be hooked up via USB for optimal playback, correct?.

Do I need to purchase a Aurender server or something similar to place next to the dac to hook up via USB to play DSD?

I recently got away from my Mac Mini due to the the problematic 3rd party apps trying to use it headlessly.

Golden Atlantic coming very soon. Apparently a working prototype being developed as we speak and of course final execution needs to wait for the copper case suppliers.

Lampi DSD is ONLY via USB.

You can use an Auralic Aries with wifi connection to NAS. Laterst firmware is reportedly da bomb.

Regular Atlantic will lose to latest B7, but Golden one...that could be a B7 beater.

If you could, can you clarify with respect to the new R2R. I have seen posts from others looking for clarification on this (me included). The question on Audioshark is pretty detailed but no one answered.

Lampi's sound and strength are the two dedicated circuits (PCM / DSD) and of course DHT output. When the R2R came out descriptions people used where DSD via R2R with automatic rate switching, no button etc..?

That's confusing in that the perception of R2R is strictly PCM. So:

1. Is DSD being processed by R2R on its circuit only (bypassing DSD chipless)?

2. Is there an updated version of the chipless DSD as well?

In my cartoon bubble I picture two discrete/dedicated paths (e.g. two circuit boards if you will, I understand that's not necessarily the case). Has that changed with the R2R implementation

I use HQP to upsample everything to DSD and was thinking about updating mine to the 256 or 512. I'm wanting to understand the the R2R a bit more as well as upgrading to 256/512 since I think I would only do either the DSD or R2R update (probably stick with DSD)

AFAIK, the DSD in the R2D is a kinda version of chipless where the actual ladder is bypassed...however limited to DSD256. The separate optional DSD512 chipless engine is to me of an order of magnitude better...not sure why. However, I love the fact that the RSR has DSD too, as my mixed playlist works flawlessly and there is no strange noise of I playthe wong formate to the wrong engine. When you push the front button and select DSD only, if PCM is accidentally playing there is no sound....all is totally safe.

For critical DSD playback, I would always listen chipless.

I think your confusion comes from Gen 1 GG where R2R was ONLY for PCM and DSD was chipless only. My GG is like that and hence why I am upgrading. I want BOTH DSD playback options. Safer for my audio gear too. Also my chipless was from the era where DSD256 was max rate...now DSD512 is possible on separate chipless.

Based on how you describe your case, just upgrade the chipless to DSD512. R2R circuit board can only do DSD256 and sound worse to my ears. Yes, there are 2 separate circuit boards for R2R and DSD only chipless.

Golden Atlantic coming very soon. Apparently a working prototype being developed as we speak and of course final execution needs to wait for the copper case suppliers.

Lampi DSD is ONLY via USB.

You can use an Auralic Aries with wifi connection to NAS. Laterst firmware is reportedly da bomb.

Regular Atlantic will lose to latest B7, but Golden one...that could be a B7 beater.

What does the Golden edition of the Atlantic bring to the table?

Aurender has been getting some tall praise recently. You will be very happy with whatever you get from them.

Ideal for what you want to do i.e. an appliance box which you can control via an app.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

The difference between the aurilac and the aurender seems to be the internal hard drive for storage. Can I still play DSD from the NAS as long As it's played via the USB?

Both will play music of a NAS no problem.

And yes the Aurender offers the possibility of storing your music on the player.

AFAIK, the DSD in the R2D is a kinda version of chipless where the actual ladder is bypassed...however limited to DSD256. The separate optional DSD512 chipless engine is to me of an order of magnitude better...not sure why. However, I love the fact that the RSR has DSD too, as my mixed playlist works flawlessly and there is no strange noise of I playthe wong formate to the wrong engine. When you push the front button and select DSD only, if PCM is accidentally playing there is no sound....all is totally safe.

For critical DSD playback, I would always listen chipless.

I think your confusion comes from Gen 1 GG where R2R was ONLY for PCM and DSD was chipless only. My GG is like that and hence why I am upgrading. I want BOTH DSD playback options. Safer for my audio gear too. Also my chipless was from the era where DSD256 was max rate...now DSD512 is possible on separate chipless.

Based on how you describe your case, just upgrade the chipless to DSD512. R2R circuit board can only do DSD256 and sound worse to my ears. Yes, there are 2 separate circuit boards for R2R and DSD only chipless.

Great thanks for the info! Assuming this summary is correct, this helps immensely as its been difficult disseminating the Lampi R2R.

To summarize:

- In theory a Lampi could come equipped with just the R2R "board" and do both PCM and DSD (256 only) which is different than the chipless DSD "board". Therefore if using just the R2R "board" one can play both native PCM and DSD and is automatic rate switching (very convenient).

- If one chooses the "best" DSD route (play native DSD and or upsample all to DSD) opt for chipless DSD 256 or 512 "board".

I would gather that the convenience of the R2R to handle both formats is pretty attractive to most and appears its DSD implementation is close to the chipless DSD. Thanks again

My rig

Hi Foggie

The autoswitch R2R PCM-DSD256-combi engine is very convenient for mixed playlists and sounds really good, but after you want to upsample everything with HQPlayer to DSD anyways, I would definitely go for the chipless DSD512 engine, as it sounds quite a bit better than the R2R PCM-DSD256-combi engine with native and upsampled DSD. That is also valid for upsampling to DSD256, not only when upsampling to DSD512.

If you want to geek out and upsample to DSD anyways, I would order the Atlantic with chipless DSD512 engine, superclocks and definitely with tube rectification. The Atlantic in that config is really extremely good!

Cheers,

Christoph

Hi Foggie

The autoswitch R2R PCM-DSD256-combi engine is very convenient for mixed playlists and sounds really good, but after you want to upsample everything with HQPlayer to DSD anyways, I would definitely go for the chipless DSD512 engine, as it sounds quite a bit better than the R2R PCM-DSD256-combi engine with native and upsampled DSD. That is also valid for upsampling to DSD256, not only when upsampling to DSD512.

If you want to geek out and upsample to DSD anyways, I would order the Atlantic with chipless DSD512 engine, superclocks and definitely with tube rectification. The Atlantic in that config is really extremely good!

Cheers,

Christoph

Hi Christoph, thanks for the comments. It is all crystal clear now :)

Not sure if changing to an Atlantic would be worth it over just updating my L7 to the 512 engine, "horse a piece" I guess.

Although being the Atlantic does not have DHT and the ability to roll (indiv preference) I would think for DSD anyway, my L7 in its current form and or with the updated DSD engine would still win out :). Dunno what to do at this point.

My rig

Hi Foggie

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you already own a Light 7.

In this case I would upgrade your L7 with the chipless DSD512 engine and the superclocks and I would beg Lukasz on your knees to add tube rectification. That should become one hell of a wonderful DAC.

What do think of this idea?

Cheers,

Christoph

The 4P1L, while a pentode, is run in triode mode, so technically one could say it actually is a DHT. True on not being able to do any rolling, though...

I'm enjoying this discussion, guys.

Technically correct, but it is a modded use pentode and is not rollable like the B7/GG

Technically correct, but it is a modded use pentode and is not rollable like the B7/GG

As I said.

There has been a lot of interest in 4P1L preamps lately in the DIY audiophile world. By all accounts they sound like excellent DHTs. I can't throw in on that yet though, I'm still building mine...

My system here