IGNORED

Lampizator Big 7 has landed

The funny thing is, that even though we both live 10km from each other ...

I'm tempted by a DSD256 only dac but I never had the opportunity to listen to one of the Lampi units ( almost impossible here ). In addition, the market is going to be filled by lots of dsd256 capable dac's so the selection becomes challenging.

I will look in further comments from your side after dac burn-in, in particular I'm definitely curious about the comparison with Trinity.

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

The capability to play DSD 256 files was not a factor for me. I have yet to hear the advantage 256 gives over 128 DSD.

I have made my decidion based on my experience with a Big 7 loaner, which only did 128. Sounded fabulous.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

The capability to play DSD 256 files was not a factor for me. I have yet to hear the advantage 256 gives over 128 DSD.

I don't think that anyone at this early point in the DSD 256 game can already hear the full potential of DSD 256, as pro-audio manufacturers like Mytek, dCS, Emm Labs are yet to introduce their 11.2MHz-capable ADCs.

Mmm...so you abandoned a lower level Lampi after a Level7 listening session ?

Have a nice day, Massimiliano

I converted immediately to a Big 7 after comparing it to my Level 5. The difference on complex music like orchestra is huge.

I don't think that anyone at this early point in the DSD 256 game can already hear the full potential of DSD 256, as pro-audio manufacturers like Mytek, dCS, Emm Labs are yet to introduce their 11.2MHz-capable ADCs.

Merging Technologies HAPI and Horus ADCs are the first pro products out of the gate. But others are on the way. Mytek has already said that the new DSD architecture used in their Manhattan DAC will be the next generation architecture used in their future pro products including an ADC.

And for music fans in the Portland, Oregon area - Bruce Brown from Puget Sound Studios (the mastering engineer behind the Wilson Audio Analog Master Tape to DSD transfers) will be doing a Manhattan DAC vs. Lampizator DSD DAC comparison at the Pacific Northwest Audio Society on March 10th. Should be a fun evening of "great DSD" as Bruce says.... :)

Mytek Manhattan - Page 3

Hi sorry, these ADCs are for those with Analog (TTs) right? Nothing to do with computer playback?

The DSD 256 ADCs (Analog to Digital Converters) would be for recording and mastering engineers, like Michael Bishop at 5/4 Productions who records in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 for several record label clients and Bob Attiyeh who does the wonderful Analog Master Tape to DSD transfers over at Native DSD, among others. And yes, there are audiophiles using ADCs with Analog turntables and Analog Tapes - like David Robinson, Editor in Chief at Positive Feedback Online (a HAPI owner as well).

For computer playback you would need a DSD 256 DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) like the Lampizators mentioned in this thread (Big 7, Lite 7, etc.), Manhattan DAC from Mytek, exaSound, Oppo or any of the DSD 256 DACs listed on the DSD Database. The list keeps growing.

http://www.dsd.sonore.us

Hi sorry, these ADCs are for those with Analog (TTs) right? Nothing to do with computer playback?

Us users of DSD256 DAC playback gear want more native DSD256 music. The reason they are talking about these ADCs is because that is how DSD256 recordings will be captured (professionally). Without DSD256 ADCs the results would have to be upsampled (not the end of world, either, as upsampling DSD64 and 128 to 256 just pushes noise-shaping artifacts further into the ether).

Edit: Brian beat me to it, typing over each other. :)

The DSD 256 ADCs (Analog to Digital Converters) would be for recording and mastering engineers, like Michael Bishop at 5/4 Productions who records in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256 for several record label clients and Bob Attiyeh who does the wonderful Analog Master Tape to DSD transfers over at Native DSD, among others. And yes, there are audiophiles using ADCs with Analog turntables and Analog Tapes - like David Robinson, Editor in Chief at Positive Feedback Online (a HAPI owner as well).

For computer playback you would need a DSD 256 DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) like the Lampizators mentioned in this thread (Big 7, Lite 7, etc.), Manhattan DAC from Mytek, exaSound, Oppo or any of the DSD 256 DACs listed on the DSD Database. The list keeps growing.

www.dsd.sonore.us

Thanks both, got you. I have the B7, have to get an upgrade

To be perfectly clear here: I did not have a chance to try regular vs DSD only Big 7s. So I don't know how much you gain, if anything, by removing said PCM dac.

But since:

1. I have no intention to play PCM files dac anyway

2. Can't possibly be worse

3. The Big 7 is is cheaper without the PCM option

I thought - why not.

I realise that PCM input / DAC may be handy. But since Łukasz is local to me, so retrofitting the PCM dac when necessary is not a problem.

From what Łukasz says this is like having two devices in one, only PCM or DSD works at thesame time and this is separate hardware.

I do have Level 7 with x256 DSD and PCM so listening session is possible... we are from thesame city I see ;-)

I will be visiting Łukasz tomorrow, also will have a chance to compare Psvane 101D vs Psvane 101D WE replicas but from what I hear from other people, this upgrade is worth every penny.

Going to be interesting week for me as from tomorrow I will have my two box Level 7 and Big 7 in simillar spec to compare for 2 days.

My Level 7 is equpped with V-Caps and jupiter bypass, and the Big will have Jupiters.

Also had Lite 7 at home and this listening session actually made me upgrade from my V-Capped Level 5 with Volume Control to full 7.

To sum up, sometimes close proximity to the source can hurt your wallet ;-)

From what Łukasz says this is like having two devices in one, only PCM or DSD works at thesame time and this is separate hardware.

I do have Level 7 with x256 DSD and PCM so listening session is possible... we are from thesame city I see ;-)

I will be visiting Łukasz tomorrow, also will have a chance to compare Psvane 101D vs Psvane 101D WE replicas but from what I hear from other people, this upgrade is worth every penny.

Going to be interesting week for me as from tomorrow I will have my two box Level 7 and Big 7 in simillar spec to compare for 2 days.

My Level 7 is equpped with V-Caps and jupiter bypass, and the Big will have Jupiters.

Also had Lite 7 at home and this listening session actually made me upgrade from my V-Capped Level 5 with Volume Control to full 7.

To sum up, sometimes close proximity to the source can hurt your wallet ;-)

Psvane 101D WE replicas are real champs and I tested a lot of tubes.

Roch

Merging Technologies HAPI and Horus ADCs are the first pro products out of the gate. But others are on the way. Mytek has already said that the new DSD architecture used in their Manhattan DAC will be the next generation architecture used in their future pro products including an ADC.

It will be a very important development. I hope that dCS, Emm Labs, and others will follow suit.

It will be a very important development. I hope that dCS, Emm Labs, and others will follow suit.

The other companies may need to get in the game soon if they want to get some ADC sales in the DSD 256 market. So far the action is all HAPI and Horus, with Mytek coming down the road.

Brian, thank you for your kind comments about Native DSD and Yarlung Records, above. I can reiterate with pleasure that working with the HAPI and Merging Technologies Pyramix software was rewarding and very stable. No hardware or software glitches at all. This Swiss company knows what it is doing.

The fun news from the same company is the soon-to-be-released consumer DAC from Merging Technologies. I think it is going to be called the NADAC, and will be very similar in design to the HAPI and HORUS professional models that we use in the studio.

Granted, Merging builds a superb product, as do other companies mentioned in this thread like Lampizator, exaSound and so forth.

Where audiophiles could be supremely interested in the NADAC, however, is that I suspect the algorithms for the analog to digital and later digital to analog filters will be mirrors of one another. In a young format like DSD, where there is no set "standard," this could be helpful for audiophiles who want the final analog result to most-closely resemble the analog original. I write this without having seen or heard the new NADAC yet.

I use the exaSound e22 in my personal system, and like it very much. I cannot tell you if the filter algorithms exaSound uses are the same as those used by Merging but the results are certainly satisfying. exaSound makes both stereo and surround sound models.

For people who have not yet experimented with the various sampling rates of DSD, I invite you to take a look at the free tracks available from NativeDSD.com. These are from multiple labels, including two free tracks from Yarlung:

http://goo.gl/kcRScw

If you like what you hear, NativeDSD carries music from 23 labels: http://goo.gl/Nnhldx If you have DACs that will play all three DSD sampling rates, please make sure to experiment with 256. A few brave labels (including Yarlung Records) offer the 256 sampling rate.

Here is our contribution from Yarlung Records: http://goo.gl/GQSE4g

Please let me know what you think.

Sincerely,

Bob

Łukasz has posted new images of the main PCB, including the underside, which is not visible without dissassembling the dac:

B7PCB%202.jpg

B7PCB.jpg

Lampizator has also introduced the Lite 7 DAC - a cheaper Big 7 alternative.

LITE 7

B6klon.jpg

Adam

Check out the size difference between standard box and the Big 7.

Here you can see my Level 7 2 box next to one box Big 7...

IMG_6358.jpg

IMG_6355.jpg

Both have almost identical spec with x256 DSD modules.

The big in on Jupiters, 2 box is on V-Caps. Both too fresh to test tubes but could not resist the temptation to do so...

WE replicas are indeed very much worth of extra money!

I'm very much interested in your findings. I went with Jupiter Copper/Wax caps on Łukasz's advice, and after they settle, I intend to add Duelund Silver bypass caps and see what happens. I keep hearing great things about CuTF V-Caps.

Adam

I'm gonna use it next to my Trinity DAC, depending on the mood. Lampi has more of a Koetsu sound, and Trinity is more like Lyra. I will be able to say more in a couple of weeks, after the burn in process is completed.

Hi! Thanks for the nice feedback.

From what you say, you place the Trinity DAC and the Lampi in the same "level". Is this correct, despite the huge price difference?

For the unfortunate ones who are not familiar with the Koetsu and Lyra sounds, can you describe with a bit more depth. I never listened to those cartridges but I have listened to a Trinity DAC and was very impressed.

For now I can only compare Psvane 101D vs 101D WE replicas, but I am on the hunt for good pair of Cunningham CX-345 and Sylvania VT-52. As soon as I get my hands on these I will post some info.

Also will probalby try new ballanced version of Big 7 soon. This is new thing, more info soon I guess. Dont want to reveal stuff before Lukasz does it officialy ;-)