IGNORED

Lampizator Big 7 has landed

Just got my Lampizator Big 7. This is the latest model, generation 5, with pure DSD (256) engine. No ESS DAC to play native PCM inside. DSD only and USB input only.

To play DSD files, you have to upsample them to DSD on the fly using Jriver, HQ Player etc.

This is my second Lampizator - I have been using the Lampizator DSD only level 5 for the past 2 months. I bought my first Lampi to try the whole DSD upsampling concept (I have very few native DSD files).

It looks much different to the images I have seen on the Internet. Some months ago Łukasz decided to go all PCB, which improved both reliability AND sonics (better grounding thanks to multi layer PCB). The new Golden Gate DAC also uses PCBs.

My DAC is equipped with premium WE replica 101D tubes (standard on the Golden Gate DAC, option on the Big 7).

Here are some images I have just taken today. Enjoy !

SrVXXs.jpg

wzcB7S.jpg

h0PpDB.jpg

DcrEqC.jpg

ikixu6.jpg

d3Pth8.jpg

xBMZ6S.jpg

gRytGq.jpg

NbN1V4.jpg

And the new Apple TV remote (you can program in any remote you like; I have chosen an Apple TV remote since I do not have Apple TV and the remote itself is super cool):

appletv_remote.jpg

You can also choose one of the 10 different color themes for display / ON button. I went with blue / blue.

I'm gonna use it next to my Trinity DAC, depending on the mood. Lampi has more of a Koetsu sound, and Trinity is more like Lyra. I will be able to say more in a couple of weeks, after the burn in process is completed.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Very cool. It does 6A3 as well. It's like mine then. I had luk add headphone jacks on mine and had him remove the output transformers as well. Rolling the tubes is a great experience. Hearing our beloved music as new all over again makes for a great journey

Mine is pcm and dsd. But you have the trinity for that. Enjoy.

Al

Just got my Lampizator Big 7. This is the latest model, generation 5, with pure DSD (256) engine. No ESS DAC to play native PCM inside. DSD only and USB input only.

To play DSD files, you have to upsample them to DSD on the fly using Jriver, HQ Player etc.

Or you could play the DSD files in their native resolution - DSD 64fs or DSD 128fs (double rate DSD).

And don't forget the Free DSD 256 music downloads over at Just Listen..... :)

https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/just-listen-1-compilation

Brian,

The 7 used to be PCM and DSD, it looks like you are saying this is DSD only, is that true? Is that the new standard configuration or did you go out of your way to have the PCM removed?

Are you aware of any plans for us mere mortals to get our DSD128 upgraded to 256?

BTW - it looks REALLY good :)

thanks,

Jay

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

On audio circle there is a good thread on rolling. It's good to get others views.

The 101d are a detail freak type tube .very Analytical type sound. Good In a well damped room. But over for a live room. The 300B sophia is nice but heavy hitting and a bit bloating in bass. But good. A eml 45 is clean and still very detailed but had more note decay . Also try the psvane we 300b. They are better than the sophia tubes. Also the sophia carbon Adele nice but rolled off tops ok for a live room but not so for a damped room. The recti tubes makes a big Difffence too. Sophia recti is good there . Do expiriment to find the best sound for you . I also have the elrog 300 b also very good . Eml ananversarry globes are also very good close to a 300b while giving you the detail richness of a eml 45 bottle head .

Pre when did you get a lampi ?? Good to know .

Al

Brian,

The 7 used to be PCM and DSD, it looks like you are saying this is DSD only, is that true? Is that the new standard configuration or did you go out of your way to have the PCM removed?

Are you aware of any plans for us mere mortals to get our DSD128 upgraded to 256?

thanks,

Jay

It's an upgrade for all now. It's just worked out for a PCB setup now before ot was hand made . I have B7 from first big box on up getting upgrades all along.

I also have a new head dsc coming back to me as well with the new DSd 256 too .

al

Hi,

What program are you using to upsample DSD? I tried jRiver a few months ago. Was not too impressed. Please tellme how you can use the Apple Remote. I have a big seven as well.

Steven

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Steve I have tried many programs both in the fly one off line. I never liked the sound of any . The only one I actually liked was my msb up sampling. But even it just changes the sound . Why some like it is above me. But plenty do. It clould be your like me and just do not like it. Pcm has bite and when I upsample it softens it. It's that simple and I do not like it. Norman clLaims the new HQ player sounds better let's see .

Ill call you tomorrow .

al

On audio circle there is a good thread on rolling. It's good to get others views.

The 101d are a detail freak type tube .very Analytical type sound. Good In a well damped room. But over for a live room.

Al

Al has it down very well. I do like my WE101D, one day I will have have the ball type. For now the ST version will do. I also like the KR300B better than the Sophia. I am looking for the WE274B, that should be the semicolon. The other power tubes are more musical, but less dynamic for me. How many DAC can give you these options?

The Big7 is a monster, I cannot imagine something better. They say the GG is better! But the upgrade cost has made me blush, full stop to my DAC betterment needs. The big 7 is more than big for me.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

Steve I have tried many programs both in the fly one off line. I never liked the sound of any . The only one I actually liked was my msb up sampling. But even it just changes the sound . Why some like it is above me. But plenty do. It clould be your like me and just do not like it. Pcm has bite and when I upsample it softens it. It's that simple and I do not like it. Norman clLaims the new HQ player sounds better let's see .

Ill call you tomorrow .

al

Upsampling is an interesting area.

By definition, if the music is upsampled into something that is "different" and "sounds better", then you are getting something other than the original recording. As to whether it's better than the original or not is in the ears of the person listening.

That being said, there are a lot of fans of the upsampling that HQ Player does. And that the Sony HAP-Z1 does (PCM to DSD 128fs). Another instance of needing to listen and decide.

Al has it down very well. I do like my WE101D, one day I will have have the ball type. For now the ST version will do. I also like the KR300B better than the Sophia. I am looking for the WE274B, that should be the semicolon. The other power tubes are more musical, but less dynamic for me. How many DAC can give you these options?

The Big7 is a monster, I cannot imagine something better. They say the GG is better! But the upgrade cost has made me blush, full stop to my DAC betterment needs. The big 7 is more than big for me.

As I understand it, the Golden Gate is a Big 7 with the most expensive and pricey options added. So it should add even more to the Big 7.

But I will say, having heard the Big 7 at The Show in Newport Beach, most Stereo music downloads fans could stop right there and be very happy with the Big 7's DSD and PCM playback. Now that it has DSD 256 playback, it will be an even more compelling DAC to own! :)

Lampizator 7 DSD DAC

It's an upgrade for all now. It's just worked out for a PCB setup now before it was hand made. I have B7 from first big box on up getting upgrades all along.

I also have a new Head DAC coming back to me as well with the new DSD 256 too .

Al

My understanding is that new Lampizator units with DSD 256 - like the Golden Gate, Big 7 and Head DAC, will go out first. That will be followed later on with DSD 256 upgrades for existing Lampizator owners.

I've already told Fred at Lampizator North America that I'm ready for the DSD 256 upgrade on my 5th Gen Lampizator DSD DAC. When they start taking orders on that, I'll be sending in an order and the money! :)

The 101d are a detail freak type tube .very Analytical type sound. Good In a well damped room. But over for a live room. The 300B sophia is nice but heavy hitting and a bit bloating in bass. But good. A eml 45 is clean and still very detailed but had more note decay . Also try the psvane we 300b. They are better than the sophia tubes. Also the sophia carbon Adele nice but rolled off tops ok for a live room but not so for a damped room. The recti tubes makes a big Difffence too. Sophia recti is good there . Do expiriment to find the best sound for you . I also have the elrog 300 b also very good . Eml ananversarry globes are also very good close to a 300b while giving you the detail richness of a eml 45 bottle head .

Pre when did you get a lampi ?? Good to know .

Al

Wow, that are some serious rolling possibilities ! I will try to check at least some of them.

Adam

Upsampling is an interesting area.

By definition, if the music is upsampled into something that is "different" and "sounds better", then you are getting something other than the original recording. As to whether it's better than the original or not is in the ears of the person listening.

That being said, there are a lot of fans of the upsampling that HQ Player does. And that the Sony HAP-Z1 does (PCM to DSD 128fs). Another instance of needing to listen and decide.

I would agree, if we were using the same DAC to convert. But with Lampi, DSD upsampling lets you use their DAC-less DSD module. The sound quality improvement comes from their DSD module (which is basicly an analog, low pass filter), not upsampling as such.

Even if we agree, that no upsampling is transparent and it compromises the sound in one way or the other, using their DSD module makes up for.

Adam

Brian,

thanks,

Jay

Mine is DSD only and USB input only. I need to past one more pic with the rear panel, as everyone is asking about this.

I have specificly asked Łukasz to have the classic (PCM) DAC removed.

I believe you can have the DSD 256 module installed right now, although I'm not sure it is worth to ship the DAC back just for this upgrade - I would wait untill some more upgrades become available.

The two Big 7s I had on loan were both 128 only, and both sounded fabulous.

Adam

Mine is DSD only and USB input only. I need to past one more pic with the rear panel, as everyone is asking about this.

I have specificly asked Łukasz to have the classic (PCM) DAC removed.

I believe you can have the DSD 256 module installed right now, although I'm not sure it is worth to ship the DAC back just for this upgrade - I would wait untill some more upgrades become available.

The two Big 7s I had on loan were both 128 only, and both sounded fabulous.

Hmm, I didn't know you could order the Lampizator Big 7 with the PCM section removed. Have other Big 7 owners done this?

Does Lukasz think there is a sonic advantage to removing the PCM section? Very interesting. I thought part of the appeal of the Big 7 vs. the DSD DAC was that you had both DSD and PCM on board. Perhaps not....

The Big 7 I heard back at The Show a year ago (May 2014) did have DSD 128 included. And it was very impressive. I'm guessing that the Lampizator implementation of DSD 256 would be very well done as well. Looking forward to hearing it.

More upgrades are going to become available? Would this involve upgrading the DAC to the new PCBs in the newer models? Or something else. I'll watch for that news. :)

Hiro That is a good point. But for me and ohthers we have become accustomed to the pcm sound . Funny as much as I like to read specs, as you posted I then like my brain to be happy. I am not saying for anyone who does upsample they are wrong. But it's just not good for me. It could be I just like it the way it is period and my brain is fixated on it.

A quick diverse in this thread to prove my point and then let's get back on topic .

One of the dacs i own is ps audio DS . They presently have a few firmwares to use . Each has its own sound . Of course there logic is improved sound with improved specs . But for me not all improved specs are better sound for me. This simple testing proves to me we as humans have evolved our Hearing as individuals not as a group.

Each sound we hear is personal to us . This is a life long adventure . So just to look at specs is not the answer for me and many others.

Lastly no matter what specs we use there is not enough data to account for what is good or bad. If we measured the B 7 and let's say my msb stack side by side . I would think at 4 times the price the msb would out class the B7 in specs . But yet the B7 out classes my msb stack in many ways . Why ? Because we do not have a way to account with specs for what makes things better . Add to this the Hearing we each posess as individuals and quickly it's apparent we cannot just look at specs for decisions in audio.

Now back to lampi . Let's tube roll on. !!!!!

al

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

If you can use 300B I highly recommend you look at the Sophia Royal Princess 300B. An amazing tube.

Sophia Electric's Home Page

Yes it can and people report great results using the Sophia Electric Carbon Princess 300b 2.5v.

AL has treid the Elrog 300B as well and I have heard the Genalex Gold Lion 300b in a GG Dac for like 5-10 mins, but it was not great as it was brand new and cold and we didnt wait.