IGNORED

Best server software for Synology NAS?

Well the issue is that I do a rescan when starting up Minimserver, and do a scan via Minimwatch when adding new albums. I can live without the auto synching, I just want to figure out why some albums are not showing up. In process of doing a compare between the song and albums counts in JRIVER vs Minimserver. All of the "missing" albums show up in JRIVER.

Once I can narrow it down further I will reach out to Simon.

But good suggestion Ted to try Media Server to see if the albums show up.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Also, try checking in folder view to make sure all your folders are being scanned. And look to see if the missing ones are all same format (i.e wav or something, where tags might not be found in Minimserver yet seen in JRiver).

Yep, I tried folder view both with Kinsky Application and Lightning DS application, proper folders appear, however certain albums missing ( 2 so far ). One is in AIFF, one is in WAV. Both show up fine in JRIVER. The WAV one shows up when plugging a local HD into ARIES and using the Lightning Server. Very odd.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Ok down to just 244 files missing in action when I compare what I see in JRIVER to what I see in Minimserver. Course that was the easy part, now I am going to have to compare albums.

Running the two albums I mentioned above through XLD corrected whatever the issues were with those two albums.

Thanks for the help Jason. One of the two showed up fine in the Aries Lightning Server prior to running XLD.

Thanks Ted - I have a Acoustic Revive Lan Isolator that I used previously with my Mac Mini, but since that is retired I haven't been using it in a while, guess I will try attaching it to the ethernet port on my Synology and see if it makes a difference. I cannot recall if one ideally connects it to the NAS or to the router ( no switch ), guess in my copious spare time I could try it both ways, though sort of a pain, as the NAS is downstairs. But than again, probably good exercise for me.

I hear you on, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it...."

Hi bplexico,

One thing to be aware of with the AR filter is it maxes at 100Mbps, whereas the Emo handles gigabit. Caused issues for me when using it in the music stream path.

Cheers

Jason, the JRIver vs Minimserver is something I have been struggling with ever since I discovered the wonderful Sig Rendu-I2S-DS thing. Logic says that a dedicated-to-music CAPS, tweaked and optimized, running JRIver DLNA (and using the best remote ever, JRemote) would crush, or at least make moot, an option of running a DLNA app on a Synology DS1513+. That NAS is a lowly Intel Atom 2700 running an OS likley designed for RAID, disc management, etc. The box has currently only 2GB RAM. it has a fan. It has 8 (potential for 10) spinning 3.5" hard drives in it. No linear ps anything, nothing but stock NAS.

However, it sounds enough better than JRIver that I have to give up JRemote! Why? Dunno.!! You'd think a highly isolated renderer like the Sig Rendu would be server-agnostic, as Barrows postulates. But nope, not in my tests (no, they aren't DBT, but I am rooting for JRiver cuz of JRemote). Decay, clarity, noise floor and that last smidgen of you-are-there-air...all slightly more evident with Minimserver. Jesus (Sonore) recommends that Jriver DLNA be used with local storage to sound best, so I did small tests with that setup too (renamed SSD and USB-connected music so I could a/b/c easily). Maybe a percent or two better than a NAS library (I'd hate to do blindly, would not be able to tell, most likely) but still not the sound using Minimserver. Makes no freaking sense, frankly.

Hi ted_b,

You and Jesus are not the only ones to experience this. On the LAN input DAC thread I had posted my listening findings that were undesired and illogical and yet...

My current prefence is minimserver on a tweaked Mac with local (tbolt) audio files and no NAS.

But perhaps the root cause is something different. Perhaps my neighbours were running their dishwasher and dimmers at the time. :)

Cheers

The only caveat with Plex is that it does not do high resolution, and more importantly does not do gapless.

Let me guess, you are an audiophile and you "know with certainty". The plex doku pretty clearly says that it does hires. My Avr says the same.

Gapless is messy with dlna, doesnt only depend on server...and it's true many ppl complain that it doesnt work with Plex..but some say it does...pretty much the usual dlna experience.

Also I dont get this obession with minimserver. Guess another one of those audiophile "facts" that are "known with certainty". Didnt test it but one thing I can say for sure: there's no way you can call a java app "minim". That is pretty much the most bloated way to write an app.

Btw, the latest xbmc (kodi now) works very good as upnp/dlna server too. Hires & all. Only problem is that you need some serious programming skills to make it headless (recompile).

Wow, very nice relevant info. Thanks. Maybe I'll put it before my music room switch first.

Oh, it's you Tom. :) See you next week at CES.

Looking forward to it Ted!

BTW- I misspoke- my GISO is indeed between my cable modem and Router.

TC

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Jason, the JRIver vs Minimserver is something I have been struggling with ever since I discovered the wonderful Sig Rendu-I2S-DS thing. Logic says that a dedicated-to-music CAPS, tweaked and optimized, running JRIver DLNA (and using the best remote ever, JRemote) would crush, or at least make moot, an option of running a DLNA app on a Synology DS1513+. That NAS is a lowly Intel Atom 2700 running an OS likley designed for RAID, disc management, etc. The box has currently only 2GB RAM. it has a fan. It has 8 (potential for 10) spinning 3.5" hard drives in it. No linear ps anything, nothing but stock NAS.

My 1813+ has 4GB RAM and it is rarely every over 14% even when doing heavy processing. Also, with the ARIES, the whole LPS on the NAS and spinning drives is irrelevant IMO. The NAS in my case is on a totally separate circuit and the music is actually being streamed wirelessly to the ARIES. I see no way that a wireless signal starting at the NAS is affected without a LPS. In fact, IMO, most of the time an LPS is helping more by not polluting the circuit with garbage anyway. I'm extremely confident that in my setup there are no issues whatsoever in that regard.

However, it sounds enough better than JRIver that I have to give up JRemote! Why? Dunno.!! You'd think a highly isolated renderer like the Sig Rendu would be server-agnostic, as Barrows postulates. But nope, not in my tests (no, they aren't DBT, but I am rooting for JRiver cuz of JRemote). Decay, clarity, noise floor and that last smidgen of you-are-there-air...all slightly more evident with Minimserver. Jesus (Sonore) recommends that Jriver DLNA be used with local storage to sound best, so I did small tests with that setup too (renamed SSD and USB-connected music so I could a/b/c easily). Maybe a percent or two better than a NAS library (I'd hate to do blindly, would not be able to tell, most likely) but still not the sound using Minimserver. Makes no freaking sense, frankly.

Yeah, I'd highly doubt in a DBT anyone could pick it out. Regardless, it would be nice if JRiver did produce a NAS piece but either way Minimserver works and works very well. The problem is that Computer Audio in general has forced us to be part time IT guys. When you start looking at the volume of hardware we have and the different software we all use it's pretty pathetic actually. This is supposed to be fun and at the end of the day if it works and sounds great (which to me it does) then I'm doing well. Further, since I'm an objectivist trying to compare these things is beyond difficult and that means a lot to me. Science goes a very long way with me. Maybe I've got it all wrong though.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Jason, good stuff. I will agree that in my system, with wireless Aries, the JRIver vs Minimserver thing was moot. The 2x priced Signature Rendu is so much more resolving and the noise floor is considerably lower (in my system, with I2S, and less so but still better is the SPDIF out) that I think that is why I can detect the two servers differences. The Rendu has little flexibility compared to the Swiss army knife capability of the Aries, though. I also agree that once on the JRiver DLNA, the NAS vs local thing is quite a case of nitpicking. But at the end of the day, it all becomes part of a better sound.

Back to the OP: I have switched to LMS on my Synology DS1513+ from MacMini as the server and hardly skipped a beat. I also use iPeng, and there is no difference in feel or performance between LMS on NAS and MacMini. I have a library of >30000 tracks, many of them hires.

let me guess, you are an audiophile and you "know with certainty". The plex doku pretty clearly says that it does hires. My avr says the same.

Gapless is messy with dlna, doesnt only depend on server...and it's true many ppl complain that it doesnt work with plex..but some say it does...pretty much the usual dlna experience.

Also i dont get this obession with minimserver. Guess another one of those audiophile "facts" that are "known with certainty". Didnt test it but one thing i can say for sure: There's no way you can call a java app "minim". That is pretty much the most bloated way to write an app.

Btw, the latest xbmc (kodi now) works very good as upnp/dlna server too. Hires & all. Only problem is that you need some serious programming skills to make it headless (recompile).

smh

Back to the OP: I have switched to LMS on my Synology DS1513+ from MacMini as the server and hardly skipped a beat. I also use iPeng, and there is no difference in feel or performance between LMS on NAS and MacMini. I have a library of >30000 tracks, many of them hires.

Are you using the Synology LMS version or did you put 7.9 on it?

regards

Bob

Did anyone examine the UPnP/DLNA streams from different servers to verify they are identical arriving at the renderer?

Hi Johann,

Not sure how to do this. I have checked that the DAC is receiving bit perfect info.

It might have more to do with the way the renderer receives data and has to ask for resending of packets, which in turn makes it work harder and causes more electrical noise at the receiving chip end. Perhaps the different sources have different levels of 'stream quality' causing the receiving chip to have to ask for packet resends more.

It absolutely is nitpicking and because of the variations in hardware and software likely different for everyone.

Let me guess, you are an audiophile and you "know with certainty". The plex doku pretty clearly says that it does hires. My Avr says the same.

Gapless is messy with dlna, doesnt only depend on server...and it's true many ppl complain that it doesnt work with Plex..but some say it does...pretty much the usual dlna experience.

Also I dont get this obession with minimserver. Guess another one of those audiophile "facts" that are "known with certainty". Didnt test it but one thing I can say for sure: there's no way you can call a java app "minim". That is pretty much the most bloated way to write an app.

Hi prot,

You use the term audiophile with such disdain. :)

I tested it a while ago, so it was just one personal experience. Granted software is constantly updated so I am certainly not opposed to trying it again with the latest version.

Java was the main reason why it took me so long to try Minim as I would also prefer fewer processes running and have had many headaches in the past with JRE. But it just works well, and until there is a better alternative...

Hi prot,

You use the term audiophile with such disdain. :)

That might not be my fault at all :)

I tested it a while ago, so it was just one personal experience. Granted software is constantly updated so I am certainly not opposed to trying it again with the latest version.

I only installed it cause my gf is very happy with the ipad/iphone clients. Never thought about 'quality' but just tested today from my Marantz Avr...the hires flacs are sent untouched and the avr plays em...as 24/192 flacs.

Java was the main reason why it took me so long to try Minim as I would also prefer fewer processes running and have had many headaches in the past with JRE. But it just works well, and until there is a better alternative...

I hope a better alternative to dlna appears cause I only had headaches with that stuff ... same with java, especially on linux servers. But audiophiles are sometimes funny like that...they go for the most complex & quirky solution just because a rumor builds up that it somehow sounds better

Are you using the Synology LMS version or did you put 7.9 on it?

regards

Bob

I installed Synology's version (offered via Synology's Package center or whatever they call it). Was not aware there was an option to install any other, and not really missing any features that I use.

That might not be my fault at all :)

I only installed it cause my gf is very happy with the ipad/iphone clients. Never thought about 'quality' but just tested today from my Marantz Avr...the hires flacs are sent untouched and the avr plays em...as 24/192 flacs.

I hope a better alternative to dlna appears cause I only had headaches with that stuff ... same with java, especially on linux servers. But audiophiles are sometimes funny like that...they go for the most complex & quirky solution just because a rumor builds up that it somehow sounds better

Hi Prot,

Okay, I updated Plex to the latest version and you are correct, both hi-res and gapless work now. The only bit that did not work for me was DSD.

Cheers

Hi Prot,

Okay, I updated Plex to the latest version and you are correct, both hi-res and gapless work now. The only bit that did not work for me was DSD.

Cheers

Glad it worked for you.

I have no dsd-dac and no idea how/if that works.

So one day later I am back. After 12 hours of a mix of transcoding via XLD and tagging with Yates, I now have all albums showing up via Minimserver and an error free Minimserver log file ( you do check your Minimserver log file right? )...phew!

stopping MinimServer[RileyStation]

MinimServer[RileyStation] is stopped

Language setting is 'enu'

starting MinimServer[RileyStation]

MinimServer[RileyStation] is running

After 12 hours of a mix of transcoding via XLD and tagging with Yates

I just started using Yate a few weeks ago. It's fantastic.

I do occasionally use JRiver to tag - particularly when tagging in bulk.

I now have all albums showing up via Minimserver and an error free Minimserver log file ( you do check your Minimserver log file right? )...phew!

Yes I do and I am envious! My log is full of errors. I will have to see if any of those errors are keeping things from showing up. Thanks for mentioning this.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Yes, Yate is really, really good!

My log file had so many error messages and warnings it had no room to show all the errors. A large number of the errors were date errors with my DSD files. Finally no errors after correcting all the files, so at least I will be able to see problems in the future. The trick is to look for "errors" rather than "warnings" as the errors are what ofttimes means files are not being loaded into Minimserver. Logging should be set to "Info".

So it was "progressive" disclosure, the more I cleaned up my files the more I was able to see other files that needed cleanup in the log file.

Barr

The trick is to look for "errors" rather than "warnings" as the errors are what ofttimes means files are not being loaded into Minimserver. Logging should be set to "Info".

Thanks so much for that tip. I will check this out tonight.

I just recently installed MinimServer in anticipation of receiving an Aries. I'm still waiting for it to arrive and hope to have MinimServer optimally configured before it does.

Thanks also for including your tagOptions in your signature. I used that.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256