IGNORED

Best server software for Synology NAS?

Hi Guys,

I've been reading through this thread, but am still confused. Can someone help me or point me to a thread that can?

I've been using a PS Audio PWD II with the Bridge card and was using JRiver's Media Center (Mac version). I have an Ethernet cable ran from the computer in the bedroom to the stereo in the living room.

I got tired of waiting for the "Bridge II" so I bought the Auralic Aries which I installed this week.

It's working and sounds great, and I'm using Minim Server through OpenHome (Media Center cannot see the Aries when I switch it to UPNP. No idea why since it was working with the Bridge)

Anyway, I've discovered many albums are missing tracks, I've used the Kinsky Application and Lightning DS application, same story on both apps. The tracks exist on my hard drive and are seen by other applications.

I'm assuming that there is some search setting in Minim Server that needs to be changed? What should I do?

Anyway, I've discovered many albums are missing tracks, I've used the Kinsky Application and Lightning DS application, same story on both apps. The tracks exist on my hard drive and are seen by other applications.

Check your MinimServer log (via MinimWatch). You will likely find errors in the log for each of the missing files. It took several hours for me to get my log to the point where it was error-free. Much of this work involved converting AIFFs to AIFFs (moving the file contents to a new AIFF container). I did this using Max.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Check your MinimServer log (via MinimWatch). You will likely find errors in the log for each of the missing files. It took several hours for me to get my log to the point where it was error-free. Much of this work involved converting AIFFs to AIFFs (moving the file contents to a new AIFF container). I did this using Max.

Kenny,

Looking at MinimWatch, I see next to no information in any one of the logging level choices (I still don't know what this program is for).

Looking at the MinimServer log I can see many errors. Not sure which logging level choice I should be looking at for best information.

I have a copy of MAX. So you're saying I need to take the albums where I see tracks missing, and basically re-save them with MAX in the same format?

Todd, Spend some time on the info level of the Minimsever log. Print it out (or at least save and look in a text editor like Notepad). Warnings are not a huge deal; errors will be the issue. Files with errors don't get processed by Minimserver. Give us a screengrab or a few lines of your errors.

I have a copy of MAX. So you're saying I need to take the albums where I see tracks missing, and basically re-save them with MAX in the same format?

Yes. For a particular kind of error, there's something wrong with the AIFF container. Copying the contents to a new AIFF file solves the problem

You only need to do it for the missing tracks (but in some cases it's easier to do the entire album). Try it on a single track first and then rescan MinimServer. You should see the error disappear from the log file.

There were also some errors that resulted just from bad dates. Correcting the dates was all that was needed.

I like Ted's suggestion of a screen grab. We can help direct you from there.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Also, if the warnings were from bad dates, take Date out of the list of indexTags (Artist, Album, Genre, etc). I don't sort on Date so I'd rather not index it and have 3 pages of warnings.

Most of the of errors I see look like this:

Error: unexpected end of file at offset 36759294 in file 10,000 Maniacs/In My Tribe/02 Hey Jack Kerouac.aiff (length 36759294)

I tried MAX and remember why I deleted it last time, it barely works and actually deleted some music, so I used it's relative XLD to re-save some files as the same type. The errors would go away, but then come back.

Is there any way to get JRiver working on this thing rather than doing all this?

This is what a log should look like when all errors are fixed. It took me about 8 hrs to get it done. Thanks to Yate and XLD.

stopping MinimServer[DiskStation1813]

MinimServer[DiskStation1813] is stopped

Language setting is 'def'

starting MinimServer[DiskStation1813]

MinimServer[DiskStation1813] is running

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Most of the of errors I see look like this:

Error: unexpected end of file at offset 36759294 in file 10,000 Maniacs/In My Tribe/02 Hey Jack Kerouac.aiff (length 36759294)

I tried MAX and remember why I deleted it last time, it barely works and actually deleted some music, so I used it's relative XLD to re-save some files as the same type. The errors would go away, but then come back.

Is there any way to get JRiver working on this thing rather than doing all this?

There was an error in an earlier version of JRMC19 that wrote wav and aiff files with the wrong chunk size. JRIver didn't care (meaning it didn't affect it) but Minimserver is a stickler. I would simply run them through JRiver again, doing a "conversion" from aiff to aiff (on a demo set of them) and see if it goes away.

I've been going through my music and there is something wrong with most all of the albums. I tried the Asset Server and it also has errors, but different ones.There's got to be an easier way to fix this isn't there? (I don't have much time to dedicate to this)

Is there another Server software out there that is more forgiving?

I'd go back to using Jriver, but it only occasionally show itself as available, then vanishes again.

With software like JRiver vanishing, I would think a big part of your problem is your Mac or pc. A normal JRiver install doesn't vanish.

You began this page saying you had the Aries and were listening to music, but had some missing tracks. Now you say "there is something wrong with most of my albums". What happened in the meantime? Did you follow any of our advise on AIFF files (i.e what do you mean by "going through your music")?

My final recommendation, before we have more info, is to NOT move around on different server software. Stick to Minimserver and then fix the errors (not the warnings; don;t worry right now about those).

Ted,

When I say JRiver vanishes, I mean as an available library as seen in the Lightening app or Kinskey app. It working before when using the PS Audio Bridge and JRemote. Also, when I open JRiver Media Center 20 on my computer, the Aries does not appear in the list of renderers (but my son's XBox in the other room does for example)

I began viewing each album this morning on the Lightening app, and got through the "A's". At least half of them had tracks missing.

I can fix them by re saving the album with XLD then rescanning the Mimim Server, then refreshing the cache on the Lightening app.... There are over a thousand albums to go through.

Wondering if it would be safe to employ the nuclear option, select all the albums and re save everything whether it needs it or not?

While I found JRiver to be more forgivable I'll also say that there were many albums that did have errors. There were even errors in those albums that JRiver showed but a track or two wouldn't play. It just took hours to go through it all and correct them. I'm happy now that Minimserver caught them and Lightning is happy too. I know all of my music is there and playable.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Yes, JRiver is more forgiving by a long shot. Do you have JRiver properly set up as a DLNA server (so Lightning doesn't let it vanish)?

I had quite a few errors in Minimserver when I started (as documented on this thread). We all did. It just takes some work and some time. I redid some conversions (about 10K) at 1k a at a time. Then removed DATE in indextags to get rid of the silly date format warnings.

Hi Guys,

I've been reading through this thread, but am still confused. Can someone help me or point me to a thread that can?

I've been using a PS Audio PWD II with the Bridge card and was using JRiver's Media Center (Mac version). I have an Ethernet cable ran from the computer in the bedroom to the stereo in the living room.

I got tired of waiting for the "Bridge II" so I bought the Auralic Aries which I installed this week.

It's working and sounds great, and I'm using Minim Server through OpenHome (Media Center cannot see the Aries when I switch it to UPNP. No idea why since it was working with the Bridge)

I'm assuming that there is some search setting in Minim Server that needs to be changed? What should I do?

You may need to use a tag editor to check for tag anomalies... Minim server is less robust for tag recognition than JRiver. But well worth the effort for its greater level of transparency as NAS media server. I've had similiar issues, with a variety of fixes.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

You may need to use a tag editor to check for tag anomalies... Minim server is less robust for tag recognition than JRiver. But well worth the effort for its greater level of transparency as NAS media server. I've had similiar issues, with a variety of fixes.

Dave,

What tag editor would you suggest?

I have a copy of Yate.

I've looked at some of these albums that are having issues with Yate, I'm not seeing differences between the tags on the ones with tracks missing from the Lightening DS app.

Maybe I'm not using it right? How do you use it to fix your files?

Change what I want to change and press save. That's it. Rescan Minimserver and check it in LDS once it does its scan.

I have a copy of Yate.

I've looked at some of these albums that are having issues with Yate, I'm not seeing differences between the tags on the ones with tracks missing from the Lightening DS app.

Maybe I'm not using it right? How do you use it to fix your files?

Are you sure the issue is tags and not the issue that Ted mentioned in post #109 above? If it's the latter, then Yate won't be able to help you. You will need to repack the files using something like XLD or Max.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Are you sure the issue is tags and not the issue that Ted mentioned in post #109 above? If it's the latter, then Yate won't be able to help you. You will need to repack the files using something like XLD or Max.

The easiest way to tell is just transcode one of the files using XLD. It's very simple.

The easiest way to tell is just transcode one of the files using XLD. It's very simple.

Agreed! Just take one of the problem albums, use XLD to convert from AIFF to FLAC, and copy it back to the NAS. If this fixes the problem, the issue is the files themselves, not the tags.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull