IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

You are using the stand alone player I take it?

I have found the Chrome web player streaming much more reliable then the stand alone OS X app. When ever I try to use the OS X App I get a message about streaming issues with HIFI quality as well as the spinning wheel. The Chrome web player streams HIFI without issue 95+% of the time. It is my opinion that they need to update the Stand alone player in OS X (not sure about windows) so you can get the quality and consistency of the chrome web player. Over all I have found the service to be improving since their introduction here in the U.S.

I have tried chrome (windows), Chrome (Mac), OSX, iOS, Android. The best results for me have been iOS and Android. I've been a Tidal customer since the first day of the USA introduction. Each time I brought up my problems to Tidal, they have always admitted to them, said they are working on them, and never said that if you try this or that app things will improve. So who knows?

Things have improved. During the past month, I have had only one evening that dropouts occurred. The next morning things were working fine again.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I really like Tidal for discovering new music. But the streaming through any app has been hopeless for a week here in DC. Not much point in discovering music if you can't play it. I guess I will try to figure out how to send them feedback.

Kirk

MacMini -> Audiophilleo2 -> MHDT Havana DAC -> Placette remote volume -> Miniwatt N3 -> Tekton Design OB45

I really like Tidal for discovering new music. But the streaming through any app has been hopeless for a week here in DC. Not much point in discovering music if you can't play it. I guess I will try to figure out how to send them feedback.

Kirk

Go to their website > login > menu > contact Tidal.

Menu is in the upper right hand corner.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I really like Tidal for discovering new music.

Actually, TIDAL has yet to embed good search tools for music discovery. Genre is woefully basic and the "editor's" music curation (playlists) suck, in my opinion.

A powerful resource, used by the various music streaming companies themselves, is Echonest. The company claims to run over one trillion data points for the songs and artists they track. Their "demo" page contains many API* for discovering artists, albums, tracts, etc. I use these demos to identify music/musicians, then 'name drop' that into the search box at the TIDAL app to find the artist/album to add to "My Music."

* is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications.

Source: TIDAL HiFi/Masters, Pandora One > iPeng 9.2.1 on iPhone6s/iPad

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

SBT#2 >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

Carry Anywhere: TIDAL/Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker.

According to today´s Norwegian and Swedish business news, Jay-Z has made an offer to buy TIDAL/WIMP (Company Aspiro AS www.aspiro.com). Offer 1.05 SEK/Share => market cap 464m SEK = 56.2m USD)

If the board accepts, it may not be good news for the future of streaming. Is this a repeat of the MOG deal? Buy it and resell (flip) it to someone (like Apple) willing to limit the streaming music model which competes with music sale from iTunes, etc.

Source: TIDAL HiFi/Masters, Pandora One > iPeng 9.2.1 on iPhone6s/iPad

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

SBT#2 >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

Carry Anywhere: TIDAL/Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker.

If the board accepts, it may not be good news for the future of streaming. Is this a repeat of the MOG deal? Buy it and resell (flip) it to someone (like Apple) willing to limit the streaming music model which competes with music sale from iTunes, etc.

All I know is that there currently appear to be some major flaws in the way Tidal has rolled out so far, so I'm thinking that the injection of some news ideas might be a very good thing.

The future for high resolution streaming is assured, regardless of the fortunes of WIMP.

I disagree with this comment.

1) We have not seen the future of Apple and Beats folding into one.

2) Jay-Z has witnessed what his peer, Dr. Dre, has achieved through his initial purchase of MOG, now Beats,-which is sooo much money. This means music is still a valuable commodity.

3) I don't see where Apple has limited Beats-> please provide supporting facts.

I am streaming lossless Tidal through a DLNA controlpoint (bubbleUPnP on Android tablet) to my Signature Rendu (and then to PS Audio DS via I2S). Does anyone know of other DLNA control points that offer Tidal as a cloud service (Lightning app, of course, only via my Aries, not the Sig Rendu, even as Open Home renderer).

The BubbleUPnP menu for Tidal is pretty basic so far; all the typical My Music items, then Whats New and Genre..no real great browsing capabilities so far, but Jesus (Sonore) just turned me on to this last night. I need to get used to it.

Thanks but I asked for DLNA (and OpenHome extensions) control points. The Rendu does not do LMS, it is a simple DLNA renderer. I realize Tidal is available via a multitude of non-DLNA network players (LMS, Linn, Meridian, Sonos, etc). Not relevant to me though, thanks.

Ah, apologies, I think Volumino running a UDOO hardware could be a Openhome endpoint. I am still investigating.

https://github.com/PeteManchester/MediaPlayer

Volumio support Tidal? Doesn't look like it, plus requires a whole new set of hardware (cuebox, rasperry, UDOO, etc)..I don't need a new music server...I run on my music server on a Synology NAS using Minimserver. That why I was just asking for a general DLNA control point (app) that supports Tidal (for my DLNA renderer, the Sonore Signature Rendu). I found one. I'd like to find more.

I have several OH control points (Lumin, Lightning, BubbleUPnP, Kazoo, Kinsky, MEdiaNet, etc etc) but only Bubble (on Android) has open Tidal support...to my knowledge. Linn's Kazoo does, but requires a Linn back end (closed system). Lightning does (as mentioned above) but again, only to its Aries (closed system).

I'm sorry if I am of no help:

"[h=1]MediaPlayer - Java Based Open Home UPnP Media Renderer[/h]A fully open-source java project that uses the OpenHome API to implement a UPNP Media Renderer.

The MediaPlayer is Java based and so will work on a wide range of hardware and Operating Systems without the need to provide different install packages or recompile the code.

[h=2]Features[/h]MediaPlayer provides a large support of OpenHome specific devices as well as standard UPnP devices.

To playback Media files, mplayer as well as mpd is used (based on your choice, this is configurable).

The combination of OpenHome as well as mpd does allow MediaPlayer to provide gapless playback (yes, gapless, for beneath 0€ ;-)).

We support the following UPnP and OpenHome Functionality:

Bill, this is a Tidal streaming thread. I see no mention of Tidal.

I think you need to take the information to another thread. Start one on Volumio and its hardware partners.

Ha! Same with me... I sent an email to support saying the OS X desktop app was unusable, and Chrome was better but barely... the next day no drop outs/buffering etc- hmmm... I am wondering if just because it says 'HiFi' stream maybe there is a variable bitrate at work- it sure sounds thin to me vs CD. I am streaming out of MacBook via Audioengine D1 through McIntosh C29/MC2100/Ohm Walsh2's (old school baby!)... I will run out the 7 day trial and sleep on it- not worth the $20 to me.

Ha! Same with me... I sent an email to support saying the OS X desktop app was unusable, and Chrome was better but barely... the next day no drop outs/buffering etc- hmmm... I am wondering if just because it says 'HiFi' stream maybe there is a variable bitrate at work- it sure sounds thin to me vs CD. I am streaming out of MacBook via Audioengine D1 through McIntosh C29/MC2100/Ohm Walsh2's (old school baby!)... I will run out the 7 day trial and sleep on it- not worth the $20 to me.

If you download the albums I think the sound is better . Hopefully an update to the OS X app will allow that .

i need help- i feel like that argentine golfer who won the masters and signed the wrong scorecard-"i am such a stupid"

i updated to both os 8.1.3 and the yosemite update and now i have dropouts and pauses on both TIDAL and Qobuz

i NEVER EVER had this problem before this am(unlike others in above threads,comments) Sq is same but no dropouts on BeatsMusic

is there anyway to reverse these updates or is this not the problem

does anyone think this is apple's way of dissing JAY-Z for buying TIDAL

If you download the albums I think the sound is better . Hopefully an update to the OS X app will allow that .

An OS X app that was the equal of the Chrome one which allowed downloading for offline use would keep me around for now, as imperfect as it might be...maybe Qobuz will an option in the US soon.

Bill, this is a Tidal streaming thread. I see no mention of Tidal.

I think you need to take the information to another thread. Start one on Volumio and its hardware partners.

ted_b!

If you want to play Tidal on the Rendu follow these steps:

1. You need Bubble UPNP on an Android device.

2. You need a Tidal Account.

3. Go to Settings/Local Media Server/Tidal and enter your Tidal account info. Also, verify Audio Quality = FLAC

4. Go to Settings/Local Media Server and check off Use Proxy at the bottom.

5. Exit Settings

6. Under Renderer select the Rendu. It's something like Audio Renderer-3

7. Under Library select the Cloud. Then select Tidal.

8. Pick a title and play it.

Bill!! That is Jesus's list and I started this whole request by saying

I am streaming lossless Tidal through a DLNA controlpoint (bubbleUPnP on Android tablet) to my Signature Rendu (and then to PS Audio DS via I2S). Does anyone know of other DLNA control points

We are sooo not on the same page. Sorry.