IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

(!) Is that because of the Auralic Aries or because of the iPhone? In the words, can you get just an iPhone to play Tidal gapless, or do you need the Aires?

On both devices as standalone players I get gapless. I mention this because people are writing TIDAL off as not gapless, but in reality it depends on the player. If specific players aren't gapless now, let's start a list and get them upgraded.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On both devices as standalone players I get gapless. I mention this because people are writing TIDAL off as not gapless, but in reality it depends on the player. If specific players aren't gapless now, let's start a list and get them upgraded.

So the Auralic Aries supports TIDAL right now? TIDAL help only said Bluesound was compatible.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

They are fortunate to have you as a spokesman and go between for their new service.

David

I did not get gapless playback on my iPhone, so in this case, it is safe to say I missed some configuration item. I'll go back and try again.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi dallasjustice - What issues did you have with TIDAL? I've been using it for quite awhile and can't live without it.

Same skips and trips described throughout this thread. I am happy you like it. I am happy with Spotify. I don't get the same "features" with Spotify. Spotify's not perfect but less imperfect and half the price. The tide has gone out on Tidal and I can see who's swimming naked. ?

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Same skips and trips described throughout this thread. I am happy you like it. I am happy with Spotify. I don't get the same "features" with Spotify. Spotify's not perfect but less imperfect and half the price. The tide has gone out on Tidal and I can see who's swimming naked. 

What platforms did you use (iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, Auralic, etc...)?

I'm honestly having a hard time purposely causing problems with TIDAL right now.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, I’m using airplay to access Tidal, via an IPad into a PSAudio Directstream. The gapless is a big issue for me. I’m waiting for Ickstream to access Tidal on the LMS platform. According to the Squeezebox forum topics this is just days away. I had hopes for Tidal access on JRiver DLNA for the IMAC, but to make that happen work hasn’t started yet. So I’m staying with Spotify, assessing it on LMS via a plugin. I’m able to jump to airplay, LMS, and JRiver with the Sonore Orbiter.( Although I access airplay via a Airport Express.) One more item with Tidal, navigation. After I do several searches and have several panes or windows open within Tidal there is no way to return to the home page other than reversing my steps with the arrow in the upper left corner of the page.I would like for one click to return to the home page. Picky but it works on me.

Hi Chris, I too am having problems with the Tidal Windows Desktop Player. I have it on my Win 8.1/64 machine and on my Win 7/32 machine. I have tried using the direct to DAC connection and through the JR MC 20 WDM Driver. The problems of long pauses, hung loads, and playback stopping mid-track happen via either connection method. There is nothing wrong with the JR WDM as I play Qobuz Windows Player through it without any problem. The Tidal Chrome Web Player seems much more stable. I have only had one day where these problems occurred using the Chrome Player. The Chrome Player is gapless more or less but the Windows Desktop definitely is not. Even the gapless using the Chrome player is pretty choppy. I tried the new Pink Floyd album using the Chrome Player and the transitions were quite rough so it could use some work. The real problems seem to be in the Windows/MAC Desktop. The audio quality is better using the Chrome Player as well.

I have a running dialog with Tidal support on this and I have been giving them detailed info when the problems arise. They have been very responsive and I know they are trying to find and fix the problems, but as of today it persists. I pretty much avoid the Windows Player as it can be very frustrating and just use Tidal /Chrome or Qobuz. I am going to venture a guess here and say that there may be some ISP meddling going on. I have watched the downloads in real time and it looks like it is being throttled at times. This is just a guess and I can't prove it. That said, there seems to be some serious shortcomings in the Tidal Windows/MAC Desktop. This very unfortunate because this is how a large number of people want to use Tidal.

I asked you to start this thread because I was having these problems from day one. I am not going to take my marbles and go play in another sandbox. Nothing comes out of the gate perfect. I plan to stick with them and help them get through this. I mean really if 20 bucks a month is a financial drain then by all means seek an alternative. I more or less begged Qobuz to let me subscribe and they finally did and I will continue with them as well because their library is tilted to jazz and classical which I listen to as well. Qobuz has had their share of similar problems but has been quite stable for a while now.

All this said, I really wish Tidal had done a bit more testing. Much of this could have been avoided but now they will have to deal with a lower conversion rate as more people like the gentleman above decide that Tidal is not quite ready for their prime time.

You have an enormous amount of influence so please use it wisely to help Tidal get this right.

Thanks for your efforts.

Best,

Bob Flood

[...] I have watched the downloads in real time and it looks like it is being throttled at times. This is just a guess and I can't prove it. [..]

I suspect the same, especially as I seem to get (somewhat) better results at the coffee shop compared to home.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Hi Chris, I too am having problems with the Tidal Windows Desktop Player. I have it on my Win 8.1/64 machine and on my Win 7/32 machine. I have tried using the direct to DAC connection and through the JR MC 20 WDM Driver. The problems of long pauses, hung loads, and playback stopping mid-track happen via either connection method. There is nothing wrong with the JR WDM as I play Qobuz Windows Player through it without any problem. The Tidal Chrome Web Player seems much more stable. I have only had one day where these problems occurred using the Chrome Player. The Chrome Player is gapless more or less but the Windows Desktop definitely is not. Even the gapless using the Chrome player is pretty choppy. I tried the new Pink Floyd album using the Chrome Player and the transitions were quite rough so it could use some work. The real problems seem to be in the Windows/MAC Desktop. The audio quality is better using the Chrome Player as well.

I have a running dialog with Tidal support on this and I have been giving them detailed info when the problems arise. They have been very responsive and I know they are trying to find and fix the problems, but as of today it persists. I pretty much avoid the Windows Player as it can be very frustrating and just use Tidal /Chrome or Qobuz. I am going to venture a guess here and say that there may be some ISP meddling going on. I have watched the downloads in real time and it looks like it is being throttled at times. This is just a guess and I can't prove it. That said, there seems to be some serious shortcomings in the Tidal Windows/MAC Desktop. This very unfortunate because this is how a large number of people want to use Tidal.

I asked you to start this thread because I was having these problems from day one. I am not going to take my marbles and go play in another sandbox. Nothing comes out of the gate perfect. I plan to stick with them and help them get through this. I mean really if 20 bucks a month is a financial drain then by all means seek an alternative. I more or less begged Qobuz to let me subscribe and they finally did and I will continue with them as well because their library is tilted to jazz and classical which I listen to as well. Qobuz has had their share of similar problems but has been quite stable for a while now.

All this said, I really wish Tidal had done a bit more testing. Much of this could have been avoided but now they will have to deal with a lower conversion rate as more people like the gentleman above decide that Tidal is not quite ready for their prime time.

You have an enormous amount of influence so please use it wisely to help Tidal get this right.

Thanks for your efforts.

Best,

Bob Flood

I couldn't have said it better! I am having the exact experience you are having.

Tom

Computer Audio

4TB Seagate>Windows 8 Laptop>JRiver 20>Wywires Silver USB>Schitt Wyrd or IFI IUSB>Wywires Silver USB or IFI Gemini USB>IFI Micro iDSD DAC

Audio Rig

VPI Super Scoutmaster Signature Rim Drive, Benz Wood SL

Aesthetix Rhea Signature phono stage

Oppo 105 CD/SACD player

Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp

Moscode 401 HR power amp

Vandersteen 5a Carbon

Harmonic Technology Interconnects and Speaker Cables

Kubala Sosna and Kaplan Cable power cords

Shunyata Hydra 8 power conditioner

I got this message today:

"Playback stopped because you are playing on another device."

I was playing music upstairs and my wife was using an android pad downstairs. So I guess you can't use it simultaneously on two devices unless of course you have two separate accounts.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Not had these problems, but I get pause between tracks so no Gapless playback

Me too and some buffering issues. Stalling.. and clicks

I compared the SQ to iTunes 12.0.1.26 and preferred Tidalhifi 3.1.2.16 SQ to that. But compared to the codec that I have enjoyed from Audirvana Plus 1.4.9.7 I much prefer Audirvana paying Aiif files .

The sonic difference ...more air with A+ 1.4.9.7 less of a murky midrange cloud, and tauter more defined bass. Certainly the stand up bass and cello are more stripped of their emotional impact with TidalHifi than with 1.4.9.7. I used Grammy award wining singer Carmen Lundy well recorded track on JVC XRCD (Extended resolution CD) "old Friend" to compare this as I know her personally as she is family.

JVC sent a recording team to her handpicked her and about 100 artists to feature on this format. The lasting is done with glass pits which are precisely laser etched in spacing to reduce jitter and pressed from a glass master. Excellent way to make a CD.

Also I listened to Pink Floyd DSOT MO-fi vs the ne remaster on Tidalhifi... and the winding brass chains on the Grandfather clock at the end of TIME are very distant and almost missing.

Also compared a pop recording of Steely Dan Gaucho... that was revealing as the early Highest frequency chime as much of the distinct and intensely detailed character as to be almost indistinguishable from the Audirvana 1.4.9.7 .

It should be noted that I run 2x up sampling hen running Audirvana in integer mode.

I wish I could run Tidalhifi through Audirvana + 1.4.9.7

There is an immediateness and presence missing with tidalhifi as compared to Audirvana.

But.. all that being said... it sounds Way better than any other streaming service I have heard, napster, iTunes radio, pandora, MOG , spotify . Bit to say it sounds identical to a CD.. is just false.

Now, in al fairness. I listened to this with a MIT USB cable- to Hegel HD2 USB /Spdif reclocker- Hegel HD 25. and heard it.

And I also heard it with USB to a Wadia 860x both in my bedroom system.

But not on the living room system ...I have yet to steam Tidal over my LAN to the MSB Analog DAC LAN port which will send it to the MSB UMT+ and put all the bits into a buffer and then output it reclocked to 1 millionth of a billionth of second with the FEMTO clock.

MSB claims "You should hear no difference from no matter where the file came from be it USB, USB stick, CD (no damage to the disc of course), DVD, Blu-Ray, Ethernet Stream, SP/dif coxial or optical. All data is put in a buffer and reclocked using the MSB FEMTO clock accurate to one millionth Billionth of a second."

That might work... but the cost to the average user is ridiculous as the full MSB Analog DAC stack with the separate power supplies for both the DAC and Transport comes to about $20K.

Tidalhifi should sell some sort of external USB or thunderbolt or firewire add on... that can recollect the bits...if indeed that is the issue. Because... good as it is... I don't feel like sitting down and listening intently like I would with really good digital or even below average analog. The promse of Tidalhifi should be digital as good as on the CD.

The gapless issue are frustrating too... but then again I have those gapless issues on Audirvana + 1.4.9.7

I am having no problem whatsoever with the chrome desktop app and the iphone 6 app to my apple tv-the sound is FANTASTIC no dropouts no crashes SOME distortions pops and crackles.The ease of forming playlists is a tad easier than Qobuz and ability to 'x' out/delete whole playlists or individual songs/albums is quick and easy-using my sennheiser 598's or wireless rs120's SQ is really good(and the range and clarity on the wireless headphones from apple tv via iPhone is excellent). I originally thought TIDAL'S album choice/quantity was not as good as Qobuz for what i listen to was too limited- i am finding if you use variations of an artist a lot more choices are available-EVEN Sir Winston's(Churchill,that is) speeches are available as well as an biographical description of Tom Waits discography career is available. Especially interesting was if you searched Tom Russell not only his albums came up but others like him including Kate Edmonson(who i tried and DIDNT like her (voice)).Overall Tidal is as good as Qobuz and may turn out to be better especially if Qobuz if buried by ORANGE and by their own financial problems.

My system is mac mini 2013 i7 16GB RAM with Amarra sQ usb out to newest SCHIIT Gungnir and Magni headphone amp with headphones as above and out to my avr system. bobbmd

I got to play with Tidal for the first time this last weekend and was pretty impressed. This system was far from ideal as it was being run on an iPad and streaming via Airplay to a SOtM mini-server. It was pretty darn good actually, and a significant step up from Spotify. The guy who's system it was has been using it since it first came out and has very little complaint. He has canned Spotify.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

flatmap-In that gear icon you are much better off using as output source something like Pure Music or as i do Amarra sQ the sound quality is infinitely better,rather using you DAC as output source.Also DON'T ever fill out that box for last.fm you will get unmitagated annoyance from them ie drop downboxes etc.

I am afraid to touch that 'clear cache' and 'album cache' size-what do they do exactly??

Upstate CNY is beautiful right now but a POLAR VORTEX is bearing down on us- did you go to Cornell or Ithaca College? I my wife and 4 kids all went to St Lawrence University(just imagine going to 10 consecutive Parents Weekends '96-2005!!)

Golden Ears, I would love to hear how one can run Tidal through the MSB UMT+ transport to the MSB Analog DAC as i recently got that exact set-up. Hearing a ripped Redbook CD through the UMT+ is a real treat. I am now, however using the Tidal straight into the MSB Analog DAC through USB and am really impressed with the sound. Not as good as through the UMT+ via LAN but close and very listenable.

I also had a lot of drop outs the first few days. Today, things have worked without flaw, perfect and wonderful. I am also very impressed with Tidal customer service. I e-mailed them direct and they e-mailed me right back. We discussed some issues and they felt that my set up is fine, ( macbook pro, using the Tidal web app to run into the Analog DAC, Google Chrome ). They said that they were working on it and adding servers. Today, things work great. Now I have to figure out how I can listen to a few hundred thousand albums I have not heard yet.

I have the LAN Ethernet connector for my MSB. I'm hoping that it will round up the bits quickly into its buffer and not have any drop outs. Still not sure how to stream it there, I use the Oppo iOS app to stream from a Hard drive on my network. Supposedly anything you stream to the MSB gets put in memory so in theory that might eliminate dropouts if the stream loads quickly and completely as opposed to a near real time stream.

Well, was up late last night streaming from Tidal and up early early this am. Played half a dozen albums beginning to end. Not one drop out. Did work on a separate laptop the whole time including playing video streamed and again, no problems. I would like to see Tidal expand it's library with some new titles but I expect that will be dependent on their success in getting people signed up. Overall very pleased.

flatmap-In that gear icon you are much better off using as output source something like Pure Music or as i do Amarra sQ the sound quality is infinitely better,rather using you DAC as output source.Also DON'T ever fill out that box for last.fm you will get unmitagated annoyance from them ie drop downboxes etc.

I am afraid to touch that 'clear cache' and 'album cache' size-what do they do exactly??

Upstate CNY is beautiful right now but a POLAR VORTEX is bearing down on us- did you go to Cornell or Ithaca College? I my wife and 4 kids all went to St Lawrence University(just imagine going to 10 consecutive Parents Weekends '96-2005!!)

Using PM Playthrough along with the Tidal Application was a very nice combination. And while I still had drop-outs, I do think there were fewer. And at least for this session, no hangs. Less traffic late at night?

Really I don't know how the album cache is used, but I have mine currently set to 1GB. I'm hoping this is where the album is loaded and then the app plays from RAM. No documentation, so I'm shooting in the dark.

Ah yeah, you've got some solid, cold winters, where you are. I spent 5 years in Ithaca doing my graduate work at Cornell and I don't know that I've ever been happier. Walking along the gorges to school and swimming in them during the summer was marvelous. Fall is beautiful and Winter is jaw-dropping with its frozen creeks and snow falling over the glaciated terrain. Spring and Summer it was just like a big summer camp. Bluegrass on street corners, dance festivals, as well as big name lectures and concerts stopping in on their way after NYC or Syracuse, etc. Malcolm Bilson was on the music faculty and I can remember some transporting, intimate concerts he would give on fortepiano in Sage Hall.

I could just about work for the New York tourism board....

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

My biggest issue right now - if you can call it that - is that I continue to get lots of clicks, pops, and drop-outs when I channel the TIDAL signal through Soundstream to take advantage of Amarra sQ parametric equalization, which really does help correct some of the crappy acoustics of my listening room. But if I just channel TIDAL through my DAC, I get almost no artifacts. The sound is at least as good as FM radio over the air, so I am not complaining, but I do wish I could process the TIDAL stream through Amarra sQ without the artifacts. And in my ideal world, I would be able to process TIDAL through Amarra iRC(b), as if I were playing a file on my hard drive through Amarra/iTunes, because the iRC(b) filter I created delivers without question the very best sound in my room (with its generally awful acoustics).