IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

I am streaming lossless Tidal through a DLNA controlpoint (bubbleUPnP on Android tablet) to my Signature Rendu (and then to PS Audio DS via I2S). Does anyone know of other DLNA control points that offer Tidal as a cloud service (Lightning app, of course, only via my Aries, not the Sig Rendu, even as Open Home renderer).

The BubbleUPnP menu for Tidal is pretty basic so far; all the typical My Music items, then Whats New and Genre..no real great browsing capabilities so far, but Jesus (Sonore) just turned me on to this last night. I need to get used to it.

ted_b, ah- once again I failed you. All I read from this post was something like "I want TIDAL on my Rendu" and I failed to see that you are well aware of the only working, as of now, technique. Good luck.

Bill, no problem...you are trying too hard. :) It's tough; there are not a lot of DLNA cp's yet that support Tidal openly (i.e not tied to a renderer like Linn, Auralic, etc).

Bill, no problem...you are trying too hard. :) It's tough; there are not a lot of DLNA cp's yet that support Tidal openly (i.e not tied to a renderer like Linn, Auralic, etc).

Since I got my Rendu, I have tried every DLNA controller available for Android. None of them work or are as rock solid as BubbleUPnP. I really did try them all.

Now with Tidal, it is in a class by itself.

BubbleUPnP is admittedly very limited in scope. If you compare it to JRemote, it doesn't stand a chance. However, its simplicity is its forte. It does what it should do. Simply and solidly.

Tidal's app on the other hand is a complete mess. For example, try and select a group of tracks from an album. It can only be done individually.

So here is what I have done. I've loaded "My Music" with favorite Tidal albums on the MacOS App. Searching through Tidal on a Mac is not bad. From BubbleUPnP I choose and play the tracks I want from the Album view. Works beautifully. And... since I already was using BubbleUPnP with Rendu to access my NAS library, I don't have to learn another app. BubbleUPnP does it all now.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Found an interesting hiccup. With the BubbleUPnP android app and Signature Rendu I can stream Tidal over DLNA. However, when I choose OpenHome (wherin, in the BubbleServer NAS app that runs along with Minimserver you have created and renamed a virtual OH renderer from your normal one, so now there are two on your LAN) the Tidal menu works fine until you try to start playback......then it always crashes the BubbleUPnP app. Simply reselecting the non-OH renderer solves this (a 2 second operation) but FYI. I enjoy the OH renderer for its renderer-oriented playlist (playlist independent of cp) and other stability features like not being a slave to cp's going to sleep, etc. But for Tidal? Nope. Not yet at least.

I have a question about setting up my Tidal service.

I'm using the Tidal App 3.2.3 on a Macbook 10.6.8 with a USB DAC.

When I go to select sound quality (normal, high, Hifi), it won't let me select Hifi. Says "no device available". Under that message is a field "sound output". I click on it and it's blank.

If I option click the speaker icon, I have two output choices: internal speaker and my USB DAC (a Concero).

Any ideas as to why I can't select Hifi?

I have a question about setting up my Tidal service.

I'm using the Tidal App 3.2.3 on a Macbook 10.6.8 with a USB DAC.

When I go to select sound quality (normal, high, Hifi), it won't let me select Hifi. Says "no device available". Under that message is a field "sound output". I click on it and it's blank.

If I option click the speaker icon, I have two output choices: internal speaker and my USB DAC (a Concero).

Any ideas as to why I can't select Hifi?

Are you using Chrome or Safari? I think only Chrome has Hifi?

"Correct, the Chrome web browser is the only web player now that allows HIFI (i.e lossless)."

Ok. So I need to download Chrome for my default browser? Even though I'm using the Tidal App?

I thought there were two different ways to listen to Tidal: With the App or with a Web Player. Not true?

Found an interesting hiccup. With the BubbleUPnP android app and Signature Rendu I can stream Tidal over DLNA. However, when I choose OpenHome (wherin, in the BubbleServer NAS app that runs along with Minimserver you have created and renamed a virtual OH renderer from your normal one, so now there are two on your LAN) the Tidal menu works fine until you try to start playback......then it always crashes the BubbleUPnP app. Simply reselecting the non-OH renderer solves this (a 2 second operation) but FYI. I enjoy the OH renderer for its renderer-oriented playlist (playlist independent of cp) and other stability features like not being a slave to cp's going to sleep, etc. But for Tidal? Nope. Not yet at least.

I can fix this for you...just email me. Remember as a Sonore customer you qualify for our A+ rated support:)

Jesus R

"Correct, the Chrome web browser is the only web player now that allows HIFI (i.e lossless)."

Ok. So I need to download Chrome for my default browser? Even though I'm using the Tidal App?

I thought there were two different ways to listen to Tidal: With the App or with a Web Player. Not true?

My Chrome browser does HIFI, and so does my Windows app. Being that your Mac app doesn't even see you sound devices I would begin troubleshooting by taking a first look in AudioMidi and confirm that it sees a device, and then maybe Sound Devices in Utilities. I would think the Mac app does HIFI when set up is complete.

I can fix this for you...just email me. Remember as a Sonore customer your qualify for our A+ rated support:)

Jesus R

Done (of course :) ). You are the best.

Gang: I will relay the results when I have them.

My Chrome browser does HIFI, and so does my Windows app. Being that your Mac app doesn't even see you sound devices I would begin troubleshooting by taking a first look in AudioMidi and confirm that it sees a device, and then maybe Sound Devices in Utilities. I would think the Mac app does HIFI when set up is complete.

Ok. I went to AudioMidi and the default output and system output is "Resonessence Concero". That's my USB dac. Is that correct?

And it was recommended by you and one other that I use Chrome as my default browser. I have just now installed it and it's my default browser. I went again to my Tidal App and still have the same problem: still can't go to Hifi mode. Says "no device available". What device are they talking about?

Should I not use the Tidal App to listen to music? Is that my problem? Do I need to use the Web Player to listen to music? (I'm assuming the Tidal App and Web player are different ways to listen to Tidal music. Am I wrong on that?)

Web player and app player are two different things. If you are going to use a web player, use it via the Google Chrome browser (which you just downloaded, so good there).

Now, back to the Mac app. It is clearly the issue that your app doesn't see any sound devices (Chrome browser install is irrelevant in this app and this discussion). I would reinstall it. I am not in front of my Mac (I am wayy less OSX expereinced than Windows) but system preferences is what I would check too.

Web player and app player are two different things. If you are going to use a web player, use it via the Google Chrome browser (which you just downloaded, so good there).

Now, back to the Mac app. It is clearly the issue that your app doesn't see any sound devices (Chrome browser install is irrelevant in this app and this discussion). I would reinstall it. I am not in front of my Mac (I am wayy less OSX expereinced than Windows) but system preferences is what I would check too.

Ok. I will re-install the Tidal App and see what happens. So the Tidal app should "see" my USB DAC? That's the problem?

So if I can't get the Tidal App to work ("see" my USB DAC), I guess I can try the Web Player (and use Chrome as the browser).

Ok. I went to AudioMidi and the default output and system output is "Resonessence Concero". That's my USB dac. Is that correct?

And it was recommended by you and one other that I use Chrome as my default browser. I have just now installed it and it's my default browser. I went again to my Tidal App and still have the same problem: still can't go to Hifi mode. Says "no device available". What device are they talking about?

Should I not use the Tidal App to listen to music? Is that my problem? Do I need to use the Web Player to listen to music? (I'm assuming the Tidal App and Web player are different ways to listen to Tidal music. Am I wrong on that?)

Go to the Tidal App (not the chrome browser) upper right hand gear symbol and make sure your output device is chosen. If it is not available...

Go to Audio Midi and make it your default output device. Make certain that you also have chosen the highest possible resolution that it is capable of.

You do not need to use the Chrome browser. Some folks claim that the Chrome browser provides the most trouble free service, but that has not been my experience.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Go to the Tidal App (not the chrome browser) upper right hand gear symbol and make sure your output device is chosen. If it is not available...

Go to Audio Midi and make it your default output device. Make certain that you also have chosen the highest possible resolution that it is capable of.

You do not need to use the Chrome browser. Some folks claim that the Chrome browser provides the most trouble free service, but that has not been my experience.

I clicked on the gear symbol in the Tidal app. It does not give a choice to click on my output device (my USB DAC). It says "no available device"

If I go to Audio Midi, my USB DAC is selected as my output device and it does work.

I will try to reload the Tidal App as has been suggested. No too sure how to do that, however. Do I need to uninstall the Tidal app I have now and then start from zero? I have a long list of saved song on my Tidal app that I don't want to loose.

BTW, I have submitted my "no Hifi " problem to Tidal, but so far no reply.

I clicked on the gear symbol in the Tidal app. It does not give a choice to click on my output device (my USB DAC). It says "no available device"

If I go to Audio Midi, my USB DAC is selected as my output device and it does work.

I will try to reload the Tidal App as has been suggested. No too sure how to do that, however. Do I need to uninstall the Tidal app I have now and then start from zero? I have a long list of saved song on my Tidal app that I don't want to loose.

BTW, I have submitted my "no Hifi " problem to Tidal, but so far no reply.

I forgot this as well:

System preferences> Sound > make sure your output device is chosen.

I would uninstall Tidal then reinstall if the Apple side of things check out.

Just to clarify, I already told him to check system preferences, and then to uninstall if the Apple stuff checks out (see posts right above yours). I don't think the message should be "keep uninstalling and reinstalling" but that's my $.02 I will butt out..

I uninstalled the Tidal App and reinstalled. Same problem: can't select Hifi. "no available device" message.

I will forget the Tidal App for now and try the Web Player on Chrome and see if I can select Hifi on that.

I've tried the uninstall and reinstall trick as well as the browser ap. The last few weeks have been bad with hesitation and stopping. In frustration, I tested Tidal and Deezer to see how they compared because as a paying customer, I would like the service to actually work.

The results of the test and possible fix for Tidal issues:

I tested tidal with no VPN and it was unlistenable during the last few days. I've had it for 2 months and it was fine at the beginning, but no doesn't work... but read on....

Deezer isn't available in the US, but you can just use a VPN and pick a UK server. I tested with Cyberghost 5. Deezer never stuttered or stopped playing.

So then I started thinking, perhaps it's Tidal in the US that's having problems so I turned on the VPN, picked a server in London and started Tidal and wouldn't you know it... no issues. To fix the problems with Tidal it seems you can just use the VPN trick and pick a better geographical location.

One more note. Since my original test, I paid for a VPN from another company. Feel free to do your own research since needs vary. The reason I paid is that the free versions of most VPNs fill up the servers with users, which slows the speed and creates issues with Deezer and Tidal. I saw speeds go from 25Mbs to 2Mbs on some free VPNs. I am now using a paid version of a VPN with almost no loss of speed and Tidal is flowing nicely. I just wanted to mention this because if you use a VPN that slows your speed, it will introduce another issue/variable and you need to be aware of the quality of the VPN.