IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Thanks for explaining your workaround. I should have mentioned that, by "Folder View", I just meant the initial one at the bottom of the screen between "Library View" and "Collection", not the additional one in the LH column. Since lately I'm mainly catching up on my DSD/Hi-Res collection, I'm usually in the #AudioQuality/HD/TotalAlbums directory, so it's just a matter of scrolling through the few hundred albums in grid view, tapping one, then tapping "Add to Queue".

What I meant above is that while in this grid view, if I tap an album whose artwork appears, such as the Hiromi album in the upper left-hand corner of the first screenshot, in the pop-up as well as in the left-hand corner, no artwork is displayed, as in the second screenshot.

Ah ok, I understand, I just tried the sequence of steps you explained and I have the same issue, while the cover art is displayed in the view, it is not displayed when tapping an album.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

...Also, I think the OLED display on the Aries should inform about things like 'downloading' 'Installing' 'Initializing' 'Ready' etc. for the new version. Shouldn't be too difficult.

And during playback, it should display bitrate/frequency, like 24/192.

An issue with correct sorting in Album view, first example from Lumin, the second is from Lightning DS application. Note the Lightning application is not quite sorting all albums alphabetically. I am running Minimserver.

Also my other comment is there a way to hide the first column on the left side of the Lightning DS application, as you can it makes the same view (7 albums wide) smaller and with less information than the Lumin view. I will try to post a JRemote view tomorrow for comparison.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

This illustrates differences in displaying by Artist view, again first the Lumin application and then the Lightning DS application. Among other things, the Lightning DS application is not displaying some of the albums that are in DSD format.

Also one AIR album and one Al Di Meola album is missing in the Lightning DS view.

Auralic team if there is a preferred manner by which you want me to report these issues, happy to do so. I know you sent early copies to Chris and Ted so I am happy to provide feedback in the same manner they are.

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Ok, one more for the evening, I have noticed that the Lighting DS application, when sorting albums seems to be case sensitive, and sorts first by upper case and then by lower case, illustrated here. I did check Lumin application and it is case insensitive in the sort. If it was me, I prefer a case insensitive search.

See the last two albums that start with a "w".

IMG_0056.jpg

Man I'm having weird issues with DS reading and displaying my albums by ARTIST. I started reorganising things with a well regarded Mac based tagging software called Metadatics. I'm trying to clean up all tag categories and making sure the artist name is correctly noted for each album.

When I refresh things and view it in the Lumin app, in artist view, it displays the albums properly in the proper order with the name of the album, and then the name of the artist right below it, alphabetised by artist as I've asked it to do.

In the DS app, when I set it to artist view, it will have the albums listed alphabetically by artist, but under the cover art and album name, it will identify the artist by the freaking ALBUM name with the artist name listed AFTER the album name. .....so I've got the album name shown twice with no artist name visible, because there isn't room for it to show the artist name in this view. Weird. All my tags are properly notated, and Lumin verifies this, as it is getting it right. I've refreshed and also completely reloaded the library.

I'm not expecting any solutions, as we're all noticing these little things. And someone may have already mentioned this one too. bplexico has covered a LOT!

It was nice to get a firmware update a couple of days ago. Hoping for an app update very soon.

Ok, one more for the evening, I have noticed that the Lighting DS application, when sorting albums seems to be case sensitive, and sorts first by upper case and then by lower case, illustrated here. I did check Lumin application and it is case insensitive in the sort. If it was me, I prefer a case insensitive search.

See the last two albums that start with a "w".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14060[/ATTACH]

Based on my last post just above, bplexico, did you notice that your DS is doing the same thing I just described? Look at the very Liz Phair album you just pointed out in your attached image. You commented on it being lower case, but what I notice is that instead of the artist name, you get the album name listed twice. So the answer to my question about others having this issue was staring me right in the face lol

Any thoughts bplexico?

Based on my last post just above, bplexico, did you notice that your DS is doing the same thing I just described? Look at the very Liz Phair album you just pointed out in your attached image. You commented on it being lower case, but what I notice is that instead of the artist name, you get the album name listed twice. So the answer to my question about others having this issue was staring me right in the face lol

Any thoughts bplexico?

Mr. Wang has let me know that they are aware of the Artist view errors .I have the same issues as I like to look at artist view and there are albums littered all over place.

The Lumin app has everthing in perfect order ,artists and albums.

This is supposed to be fixed on an upcoming software update to the Lighning DS app.

Mr. Wang has let me know that they are aware of the Artist view errors .I have the same issues as I like to look at artist view and there are albums littered all over place.

The Lumin app has everthing in perfect order ,artists and albums.

This is supposed to be fixed on an upcoming software update to the Lighning DS app.

Good to know. Thanks!

Any thoughts bplexico?

I think it is just very inconsistent at the moment, so issues with sorting based on case, and as you noted often the artist name is not displayed, here is another example as well, this time I believe both of the culprits as in DSD format.

As mentioned above, the Aries team is working hard on resolving these issues.

IMG_0059.jpg

Does any blame go to minimserver or are all the other renderers and control points fine on this sorting topic?

Well that is a very fair question Ted. So while i have not changed music servers at this point, still using Minimserver, I have checked everything using three control points, Kinsky, Lumin, and Lightning DS.

In regards to the observations I have posted on sorting of albums for example, both Lumin and Kinsky are not having issues with being case sensitive on leading character of a album name, nor concantanating Albumname-Artist when displaying DSD albums.

No other renderers in the home to try with ....

Man I'm having weird issues with DS reading and displaying my albums by ARTIST. I started reorganising things with a well regarded Mac based tagging software called Metadatics. I'm trying to clean up all tag categories and making sure the artist name is correctly noted for each album.

When I refresh things and view it in the Lumin app, in artist view, it displays the albums properly in the proper order with the name of the album, and then the name of the artist right below it, alphabetised by artist as I've asked it to do.

In the DS app, when I set it to artist view, it will have the albums listed alphabetically by artist, but under the cover art and album name, it will identify the artist by the freaking ALBUM name with the artist name listed AFTER the album name. .....so I've got the album name shown twice with no artist name visible, because there isn't room for it to show the artist name in this view. Weird. All my tags are properly notated, and Lumin verifies this, as it is getting it right. I've refreshed and also completely reloaded the library.

I'm not expecting any solutions, as we're all noticing these little things. And someone may have already mentioned this one too. bplexico has covered a LOT!

It was nice to get a firmware update a couple of days ago. Hoping for an app update very soon.

My apologies if I have missed a response to this bug which I also experienced with MinimServer 0.8.1 update 31 , running on a Windows 7 PC, and the Lightning DS Version 1.1.

I have found a cause, but it is so simple that it may not be the only cause.

I requested a tag trace from MinimServer and investigated the output after a MinimServer rescan against a single folder containing two album folders, one of which exhibited the issue.

The tagging of the album items is very basic, i.e. Artist, Album, Title, Track, Genre and Year, and the only difference of note was the inclusion of the AlbumArtist tag on the affected album.

So, I removed the AlbumArtist tag; repeated the MinimServer rescan; cleared the Lightning DS cache and refreshed its' data.

A quick look at the Album index, within Library view, confirmed that the concatenation of Album with Artist was no more.

To confirm this finding, I added the AlbumArtist tag to the previously unaffected album; repeated the MinimServer rescan; cleared the Lightning DS cache and refreshed its' data.

Another quick look at the Album index, within Library view, confirmed that the concatenation of Album with Artist appeared for this album.

Hope this is of some help.

Alan

Hi, Alan:

We have located this and will fix it in our next release of Lightning DS. I think the temporally way to avoid problem is to remove AlbumArtist custom tag within Minimserver setting so you dont need to change your file. See attached picture below

AlbumArtist is a new custom tag coming from Minimserver's latest update, we did not find this problem as ourNAS drive has not bee updated to latest one.

Thanks again for the detailed report.

13839d1406588836t-auralic-aries-universal-plug-dplay-renderer-double-direct-stream-digital-over-wi-fi-minimserver-2.jpg

I hope the above is of interest, in particular, in that there is a temporary solution that can be applied while we all await the new version of the Lightning DS app.

Alan

It sems that LDS/Aries easily gets confused unless LDS is active all the time. Earlier today, I listened to 14 tracks of a record. I then put my iPad to sleep and paused Aries using the remote. A couple of hours later, I resumed playing using the remote and woke up the iPad. LDS crashed immediate upon being activated. When I clicked it another time, it stayed running, but

both now LDS was one track behind, stating to be playing 2:51 mins into a 1:48 track, and the Aries display was staying at track 14, not counting elapsed time. This situation persisted for the rest of the record.

IMG_0233.jpg

[EDIT: for some reason, the CA software shows my Aries upside-down]

Given that LDS has quite some bugs left to be fixed, and Aries a couple too, what is the proper way to report them, [email protected], here or some third place?

IMG_0020.jpg

Snip, Snip..

Given that LDS has quite some bugs left to be fixed, and Aries a couple too, what is the proper way to report them, [email protected], here or some third place?

Michael - while it is helpful to post here these issues, so the rest of the folks with Aries can learn, I think the most efficient way to get them into the Auralic team's queue is to email them at [email protected]

Barr

p.s. that is what they recommended when I queried them.

Same here.

Also, the FF/RW button acts strangely (enter stop mode) and if I select a whole album into the playlist it only plays the first track. It only goes to track#2 if forced to (manual command).

Delete the app and reinstall. It might fix yours too. They know about it

I can't believe how much they improved the speed. It's amazing!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos