IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

My interpretation of this would be that the Aries actually plays the (cached) audio file streamed from Tidal. Whereas, as a Roon Endpoint, the Aries is just a 'slave' to receiving the realtime digital audio signal stream (so no actual music file playing by the Aries in this case) over the network (via Roon Adavanced Audio Technology/RAAT), sent by the Roon Server that is actually playing the audio file.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

My interpretation of this would be that the Aries actually plays the (cached) audio file streamed from Tidal. Whereas, as a Roon Endpoint, the Aries is just a 'slave' to receiving the realtime digital audio signal stream (so no actual music file playing by the Aries in this case) over the network (via Roon Adavanced Audio Technology/RAAT), sent by the Roon Server that is actually playing the audio file.

Yes, that is correct.

That is very interesting, I wonder why that is. Maybe system dependent?

I have 4 sources (3 now I've taken out the Aries) in my main system, a CD transport, a Melco, the Aries and, more recently, the microRendu. Playing a redbook file, the Melco and the microRendu sound almost indistinguishable from the CD transport playing the same CD that the files were ripped from - all three sound almost exactly alike and I cannot accurately identify one from the other with any degree of certainty. The Aries can be picked out and identified much more readily.

Your network must be totally optimized. And you must have an uber CD ripper.

I've just gotten into streaming and I realize we are listening to the network.

At least with CD, all we had to worry about was the power, transport, and grounding.

With streaming there are all of these other network variables.

And my CD rips don't sound anything like state of the art CD playback.

Hopefully Tidal on the Aries will get close.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 2 weeks later...
has someone compared (if possible with firmware 4.0) the Sound Quality with using a USB HD and an Ethernet NAS ?

For ease of set-up; I only use a USB SSD, and I hope I do not lose SQ compared to storing my music on the network .

I haven't done such a comparison with the Aries Mini, but last year my colleague and I did so with the Aries Femto, and concluded that network streaming yielded better SQ than local USB disk. We detected sonic differences just by plugging a different USB flash drive (or hard disk) into the Aries. In the end, we both settled onto Aries receiving the audio stream from our NAS over a dedicated 5GHz WiFi band.

There's been much difference in opinion on whether streaming over WiFi or Ethernet is better sounding. I suspect many factors come into play that can tip the balance either way. For example, when using Ethernet or WiFi with Aries, is the inactive networking HW powered down? Which of these two interfaces when in use results in lower electrical noise generation within the device? To get an answer, I suppose I can measure Aries DC power consumption during playback (or AC power which is even easier).

One thing I believe we can get majority consensus on: among WiFi, Ethernet & local USB HD, the latter would be a distant third in SQ. Also, the internal DAC of the Aries Mini, while being very decent, can be quite easily bested by a good external DAC, and this is despite the Mini being powered by a good LPS replacing the supplied SMPS. My Aries Femto / Vega DAC combo clearly sounds superior to my Mini, though that's no surprise.

I haven't done such a comparison with the Aries Mini, but last year my colleague and I did so with the Aries Femto, and concluded that network streaming yielded better SQ than local USB disk. We detected sonic differences just by plugging a different USB flash drive (or hard disk) into the Aries. In the end, we both settled onto Aries receiving the audio stream from our NAS over a dedicated 5GHz WiFi band.

There's been much difference in opinion on whether streaming over WiFi or Ethernet is better sounding. I suspect many factors come into play that can tip the balance either way. For example, when using Ethernet or WiFi with Aries, is the inactive networking HW powered down? Which of these two interfaces when in use results in lower electrical noise generation within the device? To get an answer, I suppose I can measure Aries DC power consumption during playback (or AC power which is even easier).

A variable that's worth considering with network streaming is if there's any impact on sound quality as to the location of the UPnP media server, given that the Aries gives you the option of either using its local/firmware Lightning Server to manage the music files located on a networked device or using an external UPnP media server which would normally be running on the same networked device the music files are stored.

One can imagine that any automated Lightning Server's music library housekeeping activity on the remotely located audio files, coincidentally occouring during music file streaming and playback, would place an extra burden on the network and therefore the Aries's own network hardware. Plus there's the consideration of the extra processing the Aries would have to perform in running the Lightning Server in the first place.

Did you account for the use of internal vs external UPnP media server option in your Aries network streaming tests?

It may be more than a coicidence that the Aries uses the same internal Lightning Server to manage the music files stored on the locally connected USB drive.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

A variable that's worth considering with network streaming is if there's any impact on sound quality as to the location of the UPnP media server, given that the Aries gives you the option of either using its local/firmware Lightning Server to manage the music files located on a networked device or using an external UPnP media server which would normally be running on the same networked device the music files are stored.

One can imagine that any automated Lightning Server's music library housekeeping activity on the remotely located audio files, coincidentally occouring during music file streaming and playback, would place an extra burden on the network and therefore the Aries's own network hardware. Plus there's the consideration of the extra processing the Aries would have to perform in running the Lightning Server in the first place.

Did you account for the use of internal vs external UPnP media server option in your Aries network streaming tests?

It may be more than a coicidence that the Aries uses the same internal Lightning Server to manage the music files stored on the locally connected USB drive.

Very good points!

The testing was done with the "native" UPnP server selections: MinimServer for the NAS, Lightning Server for locally attached USB disk. I didn't try getting MinimServer running on my NAS to support the music collection in the local USB disk, as I have assumed this is impossible or at least not supported by Auralic. This would leave UPnP server options viable only for the music collection stored in the NAS, but I have not done a UPnP server comparison with such a setup.

I once asked Auralic whether they can implement an enable/disable switch for Lightning Server running in Aries, as it may help to reduce electrical noise to deliver better SQ, for setups pairing Aries with a NAS running MinimServer or similar UPnP server. Auralic responded by saying that Lightning Server code is too deeply integrated within Aries firmware so a enable/disable switch is non-trivial to implement. Too bad.

With my Aries setup, my colleague and I detected significant SQ uplifts by doing the following:

* Use a 3-radio wireless router and dedicate one of the 5GHz radios exclusively to Aries for wireless streaming

* Configure the iPad running LDS controller to a different radio/band, e.g. 2.4GHz

Overall concept is to give Aries a private wireless channel for streaming only, free from network interference from any other wireless device inside the home. It makes sense to keep even the UPnP control/housekeeping traffic separate from the streaming traffic between wireless router and Aries.

I just bought an EMO Systems EN-70HD Ethernet isolator, and plan to use it for another round of WiFi vs. Ethernet streaming comparison for Aries. In the previous round the Ethernet lost to WiFi, but admittedly the Ethernet was nowhere as optimized as the WiFi, so another round is needed for the sake of fairness.

Very good points!

The testing was done with the "native" UPnP server selections: MinimServer for the NAS, Lightning Server for locally attached USB disk. I didn't try getting MinimServer running on my NAS to support the music collection in the local USB disk, as I have assumed this is impossible or at least not supported by Auralic. This would leave UPnP server options viable only for the music collection stored in the NAS, but I have not done a UPnP server comparison with such a setup.

I once asked Auralic whether they can implement an enable/disable switch for Lightning Server running in Aries, as it may help to reduce electrical noise to deliver better SQ, for setups pairing Aries with a NAS running MinimServer or similar UPnP server. Auralic responded by saying that Lightning Server code is too deeply integrated within Aries firmware so a enable/disable switch is non-trivial to implement. Too bad.

With my Aries setup, my colleague and I detected significant SQ uplifts by doing the following:

* Use a 3-radio wireless router and dedicate one of the 5GHz radios exclusively to Aries for wireless streaming

* Configure the iPad running LDS controller to a different radio/band, e.g. 2.4GHz

Overall concept is to give Aries a private wireless channel for streaming only, free from network interference from any other wireless device inside the home. It makes sense to keep even the UPnP control/housekeeping traffic separate from the streaming traffic between wireless router and Aries.

I just bought an EMO Systems EN-70HD Ethernet isolator, and plan to use it for another round of WiFi vs. Ethernet streaming comparison for Aries. In the previous round the Ethernet lost to WiFi, but admittedly the Ethernet was nowhere as optimized as the WiFi, so another round is needed for the sake of fairness.

Thanks for your thoughtful experiments!

i will be very interested to learn your wifi vs Ethernet findings. What cable do you plan to run from the output of the Emo to the Aries? The consensus on CA appears to be to a short run of Cat 6a.

I recently did a wifi to Ethernet Camparo on my Aries Mini. In my case, I felt that I got an uptick in SQ going from wifi to Ethernet, and then another uptick with fiber isolation on the Ethernet immediately upstream of the Mini.

Granted, I did not optimize my wifi setup, although I was using a 5ghz 802.11ac channel.

i will be very interested to learn your wifi vs Ethernet findings. What cable do you plan to run from the output of the Emo to the Aries? The consensus on CA appears to be to a short run of Cat 6a.

I have a one-foot CAT6 UTP cable a one-foot CAT7 STP cable, both bought from local computer store. I'll likely try both with the EMO to see if I can hear any difference.

I am convinced that there is a difference in SQ on my setup between using Lightning Server & Minimsever to manage my NAS files over wifi. Yes it's subtle but obvious to me when A/B'ing tracks. Just to make sure that I'm not hearing things, I have a friend coming over tomorrow and I'll badger him into doing a comparison :)

I am convinced that there is a difference in SQ on my setup between using Lightning Server & Minimsever to manage my NAS files over wifi. Yes it's subtle but obvious to me when A/B'ing tracks. Just to make sure that I'm not hearing things, I have a friend coming over tomorrow and I'll badger him into doing a comparison :)

There is .Lightning server sounds better , more dynamic .

hi all

lately I'm keeping an eye on a new "soon-ish" available Vinnie Rossi's PS based on his Lio Ultracaps technology

with a max output of 12v/2.5A looks an ideal match for the Aries too :)

wandering if it may bring even further, than the JS-2 I'm currently powering it from, Arie's SQ

thoughts?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

There's a problem with Aries and the EmmLabs XDS1v2 (and very likely Dac2x, MA-1, MA-2):

When playing a DSF files (using USB & DoP) I occasionally the DAC drops out and back in. Very odd. I thought it might happen using wifi but with a wired Aries it also happens. I don't get these dropouts in PCM. Aries to DAC is USB using a Lightspeed USB split config. I have never gotten dropouts using the mini.

Library is on mini over minimserver (latest version, but I did experience the same on earier versions of minimserver).

Any ideas?

Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my new 2qute on DoP DSF files. My Aries is wired. I wonder how you solved it.

Does this happen at DSD64, or only at higher resolutions like DSD128 or DSD256?

As you may have noticed in the Lightning DS display, the throughput requirements for DSF files, at 5.6, 11.2, and 22.4 Mbps, are higher than (losslessly) compressed FLAC files. Even DXD 24/352.8 tops out at about 10Mbps, if I remember right.

If it is a DAC interaction issue, can you swap in a different DAC, so you can confirm, and also rule out the network?

Finally, I've not played with the DAC output delay settings, but wonder if they might have an effect?

Of course, you could also rule out the network by hanging a USB drive off the Aries and running Lightning Server. Just temporarily to see if the same DAF files still drop out.

I don't have the answers, but laying out how I'd approach it.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Does this happen at DSD64, or only at higher resolutions like DSD128 or DSD256?

As you may have noticed in the Lightning DS display, the throughput requirements for DSF files, at 5.6, 11.2, and 22.4 Mbps, are higher than (losslessly) compressed FLAC files. Even DXD 24/352.8 tops out at about 10Mbps, if I remember right.

If it is a DAC interaction issue, can you swap in a different DAC, so you can confirm, and also rule out the network?

Finally, I've not played with the DAC output delay settings, but wonder if they might have an effect?

Of course, you could also rule out the network by hanging a USB drive off the Aries and running Lightning Server. Just temporarily to see if the same DAF files still drop out.

I don't have the answers, but laying out how I'd approach it.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Hi, the files are sacd rips (DSD64). I don't have another DSD DAC but already tried the DAC delay settings to no avail. Will try a usb drive tonight. Thanks

As you already noticed there are people prefering Wyred4Sound Recovery to USB Regen. What you´ll need to know before you descide is that there are advantages/disadvantages with both of them.

IMO the best USB cable is an unshielded 3-wire USB cable with detachable GND wire (after DAC handshake). This USB cable can only be bought special made by request (Elijah Audio, Curious cable etc) or if you are a handy guy=DIY. A problem with W4S Recovery is that it needs to see 5v (but do isolate the 5v & use femto clocking). Regen does´nt need to see 5v and can be used with a 3-wire USB cable without problem and without adding a separate USB LPS/BPS in the line. If you want to follow the route to use no 5v and no GND after DAC handshake you have no other option than Regen of the two. If you prefer to use shielded store cables WS4 Recovery is for sure a great choice but you will loose out the real benifits of cutting off 5v and GND. If you want to explore the path of unshielded data only USB cables I would recommend Regen. Personally I am pretty sure that no one that have listen to usnhielded data only USB cables will ever change back. However, it is your choise. Choose the best option for you...and choose wisely! ;)

Oh...one more thing. Before you descide you will need to check if your DAC needs to see 5v or not.

Great tip! I have no DIY skills so where I can get a unshielded data only USB cable?

Elijha Audio still makes on custom order its great Isolate CU and recently introduced the Konvertible Lite

The first one has no 5v bus wire at all, the latter has ground and 5v wires separate from data ones. 5v wire can be connected or disconnected

I'm using both: Isolate from Aries to USB Regen and a very short Konvertible from Regen to DAC (my DAC doesn't need 5v bus at all)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

you can find out by masking the 5v pin of a plain USB cable (pinout is easy to find on the net) ;)

headphones system:

Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my new 2qute on DoP DSF files. My Aries is wired. I wonder how you solved it.

Since updating to version 4.0 firmware I have had difficulty playing DSD files. Specifically, the files will pause and I will see a “Buffering” message on the Lightning DS app (3.1) on my iPad.

I am using Aries Lightning Device mode; with a strong wireless connection: RSSI (-44 dBm); Noise (-95 dBm); Tx Rate (130 Mbps).

The files are dsf files (2.8224 Mhz, 1 bit, 5.6448 Mbps).

Files are located on a NAS drive connected to my home network using Ethernet. NAS drive is QNAP HS-251. This drive serves as a dedicated audio server for the Aurelic only. No other processing takes place on the drive and as many services as possible (iTunes server, media servers, web access, etc.) are turned off. No other device on my network accesses the NAS.

I haven't tried the wired connection yet (still extracting SACD iso files from my Oppo!). Once that's done I'm going to try the wired connection, however I don't know if that will solve the issue since the "Buffering" appears to be at the Aries end.

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

Bought an Aries LE about 3 weeks ago, and find it to be easy to use, and quite good sounding.

I use the AES XLR output into a digital amplifier.

I was very much in doubt whether to go the Auralic route or fx. Bluesound etc., but at least to me Auralic seems to support its community with frequent firmware updates, adding new features.

I have been using iTunes for many years, and was not really ready to shift to another playback software.

After taking the plunge, I have found that the difference in use of the DS Lightening vs. iTunes is not that big. I miss the opportunity to control the Aries via my Macbook, but I understand that that feature is in the pipeline.

I was planning to buy the Auralic PSU for it, but after researching the matter, I found that a Swagman Lab PSU might be more suitable for me.

He sells a regular and an audiophile version. I chose the regular one but with an EMI filter fitted.

IMG_4694.jpg

I haven't had much time to compare it to the standard SMPS supplied with the LE version of the Aires, but my first impressions are quite good.

The PSU cost me 160$ incl. shipping, which only took 3 days from Hong Kong to Denmark.

It is a bit annoying not being able to turn the Aries on/off without the remote. That seems like an oversigt, or perhaps I have not discovered that feature yet?

It is a bit annoying not being able to turn the Aries on/off without the remote. That seems like an oversigt, or perhaps I have not discovered that feature yet?

Why do you need to turn it off? It is basically a computer, it is better for it to be left on. I assume it was designed this way intentionally.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond