IGNORED

HQ Player

Filters are used when PCM is upsampled (either to higher PCM or to DSD). If you remodulate, say, DSD64 to DSD128 then the modulator is used but not the filters. Stay away from the DSD settings for now (leave them at default) until you get a handle on the other stuff. The anodizing counter is pre-filter and just an FYI that those tracks need apodizing filters (checked in pdf filter list)

On 6/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, Miska said:

Yes, I'll look into it. I think I need to move the place where the gain is applied to earlier place.

great - thank you!

Just to make sure I was able to outline the issue correctly...: based on my user experience my understanding is the place where the gain is applied should be later, not earlier ... so that the Auto gain is first applied when the respective subsequent track starts to play.

Anway - thanks again!

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

8 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

i would like to play my cd rips in DSD128, my hi res(varying bit depths(16-32) and sample rates(48-384)) downloads in DSD128 and all DSD to DSD128

3 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

the high frequency crackling noise for the first ~2 seconds at the start of playback i mentioned in my earlier post is only there when i enable direct SDM

If you want to upsample your DSD64 to DSD128, you'll need to disable Direct SDM.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

3 hours ago, k6davis said:

If you want to upsample your DSD64 to DSD128, you'll need to disable Direct SDM.

yes i have worked that part out now, but as i only have DSD64 as SACD ISO's which are not compatible with hq Player that is not a problem atm and i will just use foobar for sacd's and any DSD up and downing until i decide if i should purchase hplayer. There is not really a one stop solution with hq player, although the sound quality is fantastic. In foobar i can choose the behavior of the re-sampler for each and every sample rate, that would be a great addition for hq player.

11 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

In foobar i can choose the behavior of the re-sampler for each and every sample rate, that would be a great addition for hq player.

There is almost unlimited number of possible sample rates. So it is kind of pointless option. So you rather have option to choose resampler for hires vs regular content.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 minutes ago, Mark Labbett said:

i have another question i was resampling 44.1x 16bit to DSD128 and it worked well for hours then one album(44.1x 16bit) had a track that would cut in and out when i changed to another filter it played fine is this something that can happen(and why) or am i just lucky?

Some filters are much more demanding than others so this is not surprising. This usually shows up when doing PCM to DSD and is an indication that the problem filter is asking more than the CPU can handle. There are some filters that will not work without a GPU assist when doing PCM to DSD at DSD 256 using EC modulators.

14 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Some filters are much more demanding than others so this is not surprising. This usually shows up when doing PCM to DSD and is an indication that the problem filter is asking more than the CPU can handle. There are some filters that will not work without a GPU assist when doing PCM to DSD at DSD 256 using EC modulators.

even when it worked fine for hours? That brings up another point i have a Nvidia GTX960 4GB graphics card and even though i have gpu offload enabled i don't see the GPU doing any work and CPU is @ 40%

16 hours ago, Miska said:

That is earlier, at the point when tail of the previous track is still on the way out.

ah... now I've got it. Makes Sense!

Thanks 🙂

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

I have a question regarding the checked Direct SDM function in DSD source settings in Version 4.12. I frequently leave it checked (without the added 6db) for several reasons among which I don't use the HQPlayer volume control as I don't need it. The checked SDM setting compensates for the needed -3db by itself. My question is in regard to the warning message that constantly pops up regarding volume level. I do understand the purpose for that but in my case I am well aware of the result of this setting I've been using it since well into version 3. Also my previous volume setting was not lower than the resultant checked SDM. How do I get that message to stop popping up? I simply don't need the constant warning regarding volume.

Yes I have a preamp and several different amps that I use so I know what to expect with HQPlayer volume off. Any advice on  how to get rid of that message? I do play a mixture of redbook and dsd files so the HQPlayer volume control has no use for me. 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

-60 to -3db I thought that was a non issue when SDM is checked. At that setting the volume control is dissabled. I look forward to your advice. I'm using HQPlayer in Linux but I doubt that affects this issue.

What is your volume range setting in HQPlayer Settings-dialog?

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Volume is capped to the specified range, and Direct SDM specifies certain fixed volume value close to -3 dBFS, so these two may cause conflict and you get notified for that reason.

Same question. What values can I put to eliminate the warning? 

i am also still waiting for an answer regarding another warning/notification regarding sample rate mismatch in bottom left hand corner of the border and weather or not it is just a FYI or if it is something that needs to be fixed, hq player is a great sounding piece of software but i seem to be spending way to much time worrying about settings as opposed to listening to music lol