IGNORED

HQ Player

On 3/31/2021 at 3:37 PM, Miska said:

If you are already using HQPlayer Desktop, Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 with kernel switched to my custom one, or to Ubuntu's lowlatency kernel should be pretty straightforward platform. It can also co-exist with Windows 10 on the same machine and you can choose which one to boot.

Note, on some very newest hardware you'd possibly like to use the "hwe lowlatency" kernel, which has pretty much latest support for new hardware. I'm using it on my Ryzen 7 5800X + B550 machine.

Which B550 MB are you using? I need to upgrade my HQPe OS machine and would rather buy something known to work. Or do you recommend something else specifically for HQPe OS? I'm not looking to build a screamer for DSD512 just a good value machine that's more capable than an i7-6770 from yesteryear.

11 hours ago, lpost said:

Which B550 MB are you using? I need to upgrade my HQPe OS machine and would rather buy something known to work. Or do you recommend something else specifically for HQPe OS? I'm not looking to build a screamer for DSD512 just a good value machine that's more capable than an i7-6770 from yesteryear.

I'm using ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING. But running Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 on it.

For HQPlayer OS I would stick with Intel hardware for now.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, Miska said:

For HQPlayer OS I would stick with Intel hardware for now.

Is single-core performance still more important than total number of cores? I use PCM mostly but will certainly try more DSD with the new machine. I'm comparing i5-11600k vs. i7-11700k.

Any advantage to more than 16GB ram?

4 hours ago, lpost said:

Is single-core performance still more important than total number of cores? I use PCM mostly but will certainly try more DSD with the new machine. I'm comparing i5-11600k vs. i7-11700k.

Amount of cache, clock frequency and number of cores are important factors. So as many cores as possible without cutting clock frequencies.

4 hours ago, lpost said:

Any advantage to more than 16GB ram?

Not really, 16 GB is plenty...

2 hours ago, Jacky820 said:

Thanks Miska, so for the ubuntu with HQplayer on AMD but Embedded OS stick with intel! Planning to build 5900x for HQplayer.

Yeah, technically HQPlayer OS 4.24 should work nicely on AMD too, but it has got very little testing on AMD platforms. But reports are of course welcome.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Amount of cache, clock frequency and number of cores are important factors. So as many cores as possible without cutting clock frequencies.

Not really, 16 GB is plenty...

Yeah, technically HQPlayer OS 4.24 should work nicely on AMD too, but it has got very little testing on AMD platforms. But reports are of course welcome.

Got it! Will go for the same mother board later today

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Thanks. Just to note, I did run HQPeOS on AMD Ryzen 7 1700X with ASRock X370 Professional Gaming for ~2 years and had problems with the license fingerprint changing frequently after a reboot. It was frustrating for both of us. These problems ceased once I moved to an Intel CPU and MB. Other than the license, HQPe functioned fine.

Really appreciating the new filer options in 4.12/0 Poly-sinc-gauss-long sounds great with classical music!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

19 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

Really appreciating the new filer options in 4.12/0 Poly-sinc-gauss-long sounds great with classical music!

I'm really enjoying it will all music. There is an ease with clarity, spaciousness and depth, that ext2 just doesn't have. Wish my computer could run gauss-xla.

Trying the new poly-sinc-gauss-xla now and really enjoying it.

(HQPlayer running on my desktop, Ares2 over USB)

image.png.d85a15ef6c51198b54a59af439c0cb6b.png

Facebook ZMF headphones club founder

🎧 Headphones (using): Apple MMM1 > Roon+HQPlayer > RPI4 NAA > Holo Audio MAY > Gillmore's CFA3 | MHZ EL34/E88CC Tube Amp > Abyss 1266 Phi TC (SC) | ZMF Atrium LTD

10 minutes ago, lpost said:

Old i7-6770 is unable to play without dropouts. I'm planning to build new machine but man there are too many choices these days.

My 2017 MPB Pro I think is i7-6770 and is running fine, but limited to 768k!  

BTW, Poly-sinc-gauss-long sounds rounder and fuller than gauss-xla to my taste...

4 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

My 2017 MPB Pro I think is i7-6770 and is running fine, but limited to 768k!

I'll give it a try, thanks. But I'd still like to run full bandwidth whenever I can. Edit: A quick couple minutes at 768k with xla has me back to 1.5M with -long. The magic is gone at 768k.

I REALLy like gauss long too (I7-6700k) at 32fs 20 bit Holo May.  Piano is sublime.  I told a couple folks I need to live with it this weekend and jump back to 4.90 and see if there is reason to live back there anymore.

8 minutes ago, ted_b said:

...see if there is reason to live back there anymore.

I'm running Embedded OS and do encounter occasional/often white noise or garbled sound when initiating low bitrate radio so I've switched back to 4.22.3 just to confirm the same stations play without issue (4.23.0 has the same problem) and it's clearly audible to me that 4.24 (latest) is the best sound. Probably not directly comparable with Desktop though.