IGNORED

HQ Player

thanks Ted 👍

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

Jussi, thanks for the explanation

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

On 6/22/2021 at 4:37 AM, Miska said:

You have max volume in settings set to -6 dBFS while enabling Direct SDM sets volume to about -3 dBFS. Hence you get the warning since your other setting exceeds your set maximum volume.

i have changed the max volume in settings to -3.0 dBFS and i am still getting this warning.

For my Susvara/Holo May I am currently using Roon Parametric EQ and then oversample to dsd256x ASDMEC7 with Sinc-L/Mx ... Love it to bits!

However, I was wondering if I use EQ/Convolution in HQplayer, instead of Roon EQ, would that yield even better results?

If so, which method in HQ player is prefered SQ wise?

And how can I translate my parametric EQ settings to HQplayer?

1 minute ago, reeve_mike said:

Which would you recommend for the Holo May, 5 or 7?  MANY THANKS!

Try 'em both, you decide.  I find modulators (and filters, for that matter) to often be personal choices, guided by system synergy and listening preferences.  Net/net, there is usually no "one good answer". 

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Try 'em both, you decide.  I find modulators (and filters, for that matter) to often be personal choices, guided by system synergy and listening preferences.  Net/net, there is usually no "one good answer". 

I have been but Jussi seemed to be quite definitive in the answer that I quoted and in the manual he makes reference to the choice being related to the DAC's reconstruction filter, so I was interested to learn which from that perspective is considered as the most appropriate for the Holo May ...

23 hours ago, Miska said:

Some tracks are produced with problematic type of ADC / mastering tools. If the counter stays at 0, or figures like under 10, the source material doesn't require apodizing filter for correct reconstruction.

This is clear.

What does puzzle me is what is triggers the apodizing count and what specifically is creating these issues in the music file in the first place?

I suspect this might be a complex topic, so if anyone has any links to any light reading relevant to this topic, that would be appreciated.

Just curious!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

17 hours ago, Confused said:

What does puzzle me is what is triggers the apodizing count and what specifically is creating these issues in the music file in the first place?

It is the anti-alias decimation (down-sampling) filter used to convert high rate SDM to PCM inside the ADC chip. In some cases it is the production decimation (down-sampling) filter used to convert hires PCM to RedBook format. But in either case these produce errors in the source data and HQPlayer can detect this.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

22 hours ago, Flextreme said:

However, I was wondering if I use EQ/Convolution in HQplayer, instead of Roon EQ, would that yield even better results?

If so, which method in HQ player is prefered SQ wise?

And how can I translate my parametric EQ settings to HQplayer?

Yes, it is better to perform all DSP operations as one complete operation in HQPlayer.

If you have parametric EQ settings already somewhere, you can enter those parameters into HQPlayer's matrix processor. Syntax for it is documented in the manual. If you use for example REW for creating those, it is even simpler since you can export the settings into .txt file and then use that directly in the matrix settings.

20 hours ago, reeve_mike said:

I have been but Jussi seemed to be quite definitive in the answer that I quoted and in the manual he makes reference to the choice being related to the DAC's reconstruction filter, so I was interested to learn which from that perspective is considered as the most appropriate for the Holo May ...

ASDM7EC at DSD256 is good for Holo Audio DACs. Filter is up to your choice.

Two "dumbass" questions for an early adopter of HQP, but a late adopter of version 4, as in today:

1) Understood that one could use V4 to play streaming sourced flies to get benefits of HQP magic.  Have Amazon HD app on Mac Mini but how do I "hook it up" so I can play Amazon HD streams using HQP?

2) Lots of new filters and other choice to make in setting that didn't exist on V3.  Using a Brooklyn+ fed by USB from a quad core Mac Mini, so what have folks liked in terms of set up?  Realize that it is personal and all, but since I have no idea what all this filtering, dither, modulators do or mean, in spite reading hear and in the manual, looking for a couple of starting points that folks have discovered sound good in their systems, particularly if they use a Brooklyn.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Thought of a #3 question (sound like the President, who relies on numbered responses):  Set up Client and a bunch of the artwork that is in the files, because it shows up in iTunes, didn't get posted.  What did I do wrong?

Tone with Soul

19 hours ago, Miska said:

It is the anti-alias decimation (down-sampling) filter used to convert high rate SDM to PCM inside the ADC chip. In some cases it is the production decimation (down-sampling) filter used to convert hires PCM to RedBook format. But in either case these produce errors in the source data and HQPlayer can detect this.

Reading your explanation, I am now curious to know which ADC chips produce such digital distortion and which do not. Can you please tell me? 

12 hours ago, 57gold said:

Two "dumbass" questions for an early adopter of HQP, but a late adopter of version 4, as in today:

1) Understood that one could use V4 to play streaming sourced flies to get benefits of HQP magic.  Have Amazon HD app on Mac Mini but how do I "hook it up" so I can play Amazon HD streams using HQP?

You could use BlackHole or similar audio-loopback driver to loop audio outputs of other applications back into HQPlayer input.

2) Lots of new filters and other choice to make in setting that didn't exist on V3.  Using a Brooklyn+ fed by USB from a quad core Mac Mini, so what have folks liked in terms of set up?  Realize that it is personal and all, but since I have no idea what all this filtering, dither, modulators do or mean, in spite reading hear and in the manual, looking for a couple of starting points that folks have discovered sound good in their systems, particularly if they use a Brooklyn.

For Brooklyn, you get best results using ASDM5EC modulator at DSD256 and filter of your choice.

Thought of a #3 question (sound like the President, who relies on numbered responses):  Set up Client and a bunch of the artwork that is in the files, because it shows up in iTunes, didn't get posted.  What did I do wrong?

These files play but don't show the cover images? Are the cover images inside the music files, or separate files in the folder?

20 hours ago, OzarkMtn said:

@MiskaRecently received the Denafrips Pontus II DAC. Would you suggest ASDM7EC at DSD256 for the Pontus II? What DAC bits should the DAC be set at?

Thanks Jussi!

The Pontus has no 1 bit hardware. Dsd is converted to 6 bit internally. 16bit to 1 bit to 6 bit are too many conversions. Just upsample pcm to 24 bit with dithering with your filter of choice. If you want to use a noise shaper instead of dithering, I would  set it to about 19 bit and use the highest sampling rate possible.

2 minutes ago, Hensema said:

The Pontus has no 1 bit hardware. Dsd is converted to 6 bit internally. 16bit to 1 bit to 6 bit are too many conversions. Just upsample pcm to 24 bit with dithering with your filter of choice. If you want to use a noise shaper instead of dithering, I would  set it to about 19 bit and use the highest sampling rate possible.

Based on specs it has 32-element analog FIR. Similar to my DSC1 DAC. It is not same as "converting to 6-bit"...

23 hours ago, OzarkMtn said:

@MiskaRecently received the Denafrips Pontus II DAC. Would you suggest ASDM7EC at DSD256 for the Pontus II? What DAC bits should the DAC be set at?

Thanks Jussi!

Don't mean to be a PITA...however @MiskaI appreciate your insights and thoughts. Any additional thoughts on how to get the best SQ out of this particular DAC?

Thanks @Hensemafor providing a response to my post.

I had HQPlayer out of the chain some of the time when swapping in some new gear and trying some different input methods, boy was it missed😔.

Thanks!