IGNORED

HQ Player

On 6/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, k6davis said:

Welcome!

There is a lot of depth to HQP, but even using it in a basic way will give you fantastic results. I can give you some basic recommendations.

Your i7 4790k is older, but it is likely that it can handle most settings at DSD128. The modulators with "EC" in their names are the highest quality - and the most demanding on your CPU. ASDM7EC is the runaway favorite, but my preference is for DSD5EC. It all depends on your equipment, tastes, room, etc. When it comes to filters, poly-sinc-ext2 arguably offers the best "bang for the buck". It's not very demanding on your server yet it offers excellent sound across a variety of types of music. A few years ago, it was Jussi's (HQP's developer) favorite filter. Since then, he's added many new filter options and lots of us here prefer some of those. Other filters stand out from poly-sinc-ext2 in various ways, but I find poly-sinc-ext2 to be at minimum an excellent baseline, and it remains a favorite of mine for its overall sound. 

Those filter & modulator settings will offer you superb sound as you learn more and experiment to see what works for you.

I'll leave your question about the crackling to others who could offer better technical advice, but that's definitely not normal.

Any recommendation for a modulator without a EC in it? All of them cause the songs to only play for 2 seconds before their is a pause & then a few seconds play & then another pause.

Other than that I can do all the filters except Sinc-L & DSD512, anything below that runs fine.

21 minutes ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

Any recommendation for a modulator without a EC in it? All of them cause the songs to only play for 2 seconds before their is a pause & then a few seconds play & then another pause.

Other than that I can do all the filters except Sinc-L & DSD512, anything below that runs fine.

All depends on how you feel! Try and find the best suit for yourself. Just upgraded my audio PC from i7 8700 to 5900x coz EC is much better than others! 

26 minutes ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

Try th EC filters at DSD64, then at DSD128 and finally (if your cpu can) DSD256.  Do NOT try them at DSD512 because NO CPU in existence, currently, can do EC and DSD512.  But I gotta assume you can do EC with DSD64, right?

4 hours ago, Jacky820 said:

07DA6807-2EDA-4A64-BE43-9C3B2E4DAAE1.png

FA89F5C2-5511-417C-A2B5-B4258A85E663.png

A5DFD8E6-CAC5-4C6C-944B-B3090375A1C7.png

I was advised by Miska the other day about playing DSD source. Hope below message from Miska will be helpful. 

sinc-L (or any of the other oversampling filters) is not used for DSD sources...

Doing any upsampling in Roon before HQPlayer would make HQPlayer's upsampling moot. Especially if you upsample to DSD in Roon you would have notable performance degradation.

@Miska The newest build is really good Miska with everything at default only convolution ticket with modulator/filter set to EC/ and ext-3, and matrix enabled my cpu usage on the 5900x reported by proccess hacker is only around 5-60-6.70% for the Hqplayer process.

This is with a tuned  3800Cl16 ram profile though, and some curve optimizer settings.

image.png.1ca742d7393bd49ef282c7c8de911b53.png

It does seem to be way closer to the same cpu usage as the AMD optimized build on linux now.

17 hours ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

Depending on DAC, ASDM7 or ASDM5.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

19 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

i am also still waiting for an answer regarding another warning/notification regarding sample rate mismatch in bottom left hand corner of the border and weather or not it is just a FYI or if it is something that needs to be fixed, hq player is a great sounding piece of software but i seem to be spending way to much time worrying about settings as opposed to listening to music lol

You usually get that if you try to do 48k-base DSD on a system that doesn't support it. And/or if you are trying to ask filter that cannot do the requested rate combination.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

You usually get that if you try to do 48k-base DSD on a system that doesn't support it. And/or if you are trying to ask filter that cannot do the requested rate combination.

i get it when doing 44.1 to DSD128 the message is # ASIO output warning: Sample rate mismatch 352800 vs 5644800

Settings are

Capture.PNG

58 minutes ago, Mark Labbett said:

i get it when doing 44.1 to DSD128 the message is # ASIO output warning: Sample rate mismatch 352800 vs 5644800

Settings are

Capture.PNG

Do NOT set "SDM Pack" to DoP, instead set it to None.

Also if you are using Roon, please make sure you don't have the DAC enabled as Roon output.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Do NOT set "SDM Pack" to DoP, instead set it to None.

Also if you are using Roon, please make sure you don't have the DAC enabled as Roon output.

still get that message, and i don't use Roon. If i don't set it to DoP does that mean it is outputting DSD directly? I have an Eastern Electric supreme and I thought it only did DoP?

scrub that last reply, if i set "SDM Packt" to "None" then it outputs to PCM and i would like DSD. But i don't get that message "# ASIO output warning: Sample rate mismatch 352800 vs 5644800"

Also i still do not know how to get rid of the volume warning every time i start hq Player can you not make an option to reset it to the required settings, as this seems like a common problem

5 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

still get that message, and i don't use Roon. If i don't set it to DoP does that mean it is outputting DSD directly? I have an Eastern Electric supreme and I thought it only did DoP?

Are you using on windows if so your dac requires a driver ?

5 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

Also i still do not know how to get rid of the volume warning every time i start hq Player can you not make an option to reset it to the required settings, as this seems like a common problem

You have max volume in settings set to -6 dBFS while enabling Direct SDM sets volume to about -3 dBFS. Hence you get the warning since your other setting exceeds your set maximum volume.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Yes, select the largest possible Buffer Size there.

I set buffer settings to the max which is 32,768 and am still getting static sounding output for PCM files of 192k and greater. For me, this behavior started with Windows Desktop HQPlayer V11.0 and continues through V12.1.

1 hour ago, JohnDonaldson said:

I set buffer settings to the max which is 32,768 and am still getting static sounding output for PCM files of 192k and greater. For me, this behavior started with Windows Desktop HQPlayer V11.0 and continues through V12.1.

OK, and you are sure your Holo is not set as default output device for Windows, or enabled as output in other software like Roon?

Since you seem to be upsampling PCM sources to 384k PCM output, May should be always seeing this same output rate, regardless of source rate. So from the DAC's perspective there shouldn't be difference regardless of source.

Please enable log file, restart HQPlayer, reproduce the problem and email me the log file.

P.S. You should set "DAC Bits" to 20 for Holo Audio DACs.

Jussi a question
Why with some songs the Apod counter remains at 0 and with others indicates very high numbers?
On PCM I use the PLY-SINC-GAUSS-LONG which is apodizing.

Schermata 2021-06-23 alle 15.53.47.png

Schermata 2021-06-23 alle 15.54.43.png

Schermata 2021-06-23 alle 15.54.28.png

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub