IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi Miska, 
I have tested the new version but I still have a question about the much larger number of threads than in version 4.10.
At startup, there are almost 100 more threads than in version 4.10 (230 vs 110).
Normal, there are more options (like the APO counter) but if I play with the HQP client and change the filter (for example.), then the number of threads increases to 300. 600... 800, etc ... with each change via HQP client.
They seem to be inactive ... but don't disappear without restarting the program ...
There is no possibility of purging (semaphore system ?).

Thread is waiting for:
Handle 0xfad8 (Semaphore): (unnamed object)

It doesn't seem to have any SQ impact, but my system runs with less than 600 threads in total, so when the number of threads exceeds 2000, I panic ! 😋

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

@Miska

Hi Jussi,

Have you listed and explained the different messages that show on the bottom bar in the topic, and would it be possible to have those added to the manual?

Thanks,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Hi Jussi,

I have issues with latest versions at home, 4.11.0 was making "white noise" on some tracks, with 4.11.2 playback stop after a few songs, I need to reboot my mac each time.

I have same problems on 2 macs, mac mini m1 and macbook pro Intel.

With 4.10.3 no issues.

Am I the only one having these issues? Perhaps It's due to Qobuz streaming, don't know.

Thanks,

Fred.

Fred (Toulouse, France)

16 hours ago, fredg_31 said:

I have issues with latest versions at home, 4.11.0 was making "white noise" on some tracks, with 4.11.2 playback stop after a few songs, I need to reboot my mac each time.

Am I the only one having these issues? Perhaps It's due to Qobuz streaming, don't know.

I have had the same issue with the latest release, though I'm using HQP Embedded. It happens to me with local files, so I don't think it's a streaming issue. 

For me, it happens extremely rarely, and only at the start of a track. It's so rare that it kind of feels like it stopped happening, but I haven't changed anything, so whatever was causing the issue is still there.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

So a few pages back I commented that when playing pcm it would always default to 705.6 rather than the maximum  in settings ( my dac is Ares II which can go much higher). I got no reply so I just sat back and listened to music. Basically I did not consider it very important. The today while playing a file using the same filter and shaper as before, nothing was changed except the music selection, it suddenly changed to the higher oversampling 1.4112M. It did this all by itself I changed nothing. Then I selected some music I played yesterday and sure enough it sampled at the high rate not the default 705.6. Go figure. I can't explain.

Anyway, it sounds great in pcm and dsd, Really not a great difference unless you play with different filters. Either way it is wonderful sound.

19 hours ago, k6davis said:

I have had the same issue with the latest release, though I'm using HQP Embedded. It happens to me with local files, so I don't think it's a streaming issue. 

For me, it happens extremely rarely, and only at the start of a track. It's so rare that it kind of feels like it stopped happening, but I haven't changed anything, so whatever was causing the issue is still there.

Occasionally, playback will stop for me as well. I have not been able to figure out a cause. I just hit play and it continues again. Doesn't happen very often, but enough so that I am aware of it happening.

No electron left behind.

22 hours ago, k6davis said:

I also have had an issue and it looks like a same issue.

My environment;

Macmini (intel x64):
    running
    1) HQPyer 4 Desktop 4.11.2
    2) Roon Server (core, latest, Roon version 1.8 build 795)

Macbook Pro (intel x64):
    running
    3) networkaudiod-412
    4) Roon App (client)

Local Network:
    Linksys VELOP (wifi mesh)

Signal path:
    [Local file; flac PCM] --> Roon Server --> HQPyer 4 Desktop
       --> wifi mesh (IPv6)
              --> networkaudiod-412

My issue;
When playing stream (Qobus), change to different album with different source format (e.g., current mp3 streaming; next redbook PCM), it occasionally does not start playing the next album and stop playing.
At the moment, on Roon App screen, it looks like to play the first track of the next album (put tracks on queue) but it does not proceed counter; while on HQPyer 4 Desktop screen, it lookbs like being sleeping, i.e., "Format:" is left blank; NAA (networkaudiod) stop CoreAudio output and is waiting.  FYI, I have never experienced the issue with HQPyer 4 Desktop 4.10.

(Edit:) The only solution is to restart HQP.

Steven

Hi Jussi

I'm having a problem with wavepack files.

They're being scanned into the library in file name alphabetical order rather than in track number order.

Desktop 4.11.2

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

12 hours ago, steven.y said:

My environment;

Macmini (intel x64):
    running

Macbook Pro (intel x64):
    running
    3) networkaudiod-412
    4) Roon App (client)

Local Network:

Signal path:
       --> wifi mesh (IPv6)
              --> networkaudiod-412

My issue;
When playing stream (Qobus), change to different album with different source format (e.g., current mp3 streaming; next redbook PCM), it occasionally does not start playing the next album and stop playing.
At the moment, on Roon App screen, it looks like to play the first track of the next album (put tracks on queue) but it does not proceed counter; while on HQPyer 4 Desktop screen, it lookbs like being sleeping, i.e., "Format:" is left blank; NAA (networkaudiod) stop CoreAudio output and is waiting.  FYI, I have never experienced the issue with HQPyer 4 Desktop 4.10.

Steven

You shouldn't have 3 and 4 running and enabled in Roon at the same time.  If you're using 3 as the endpoint,  then I'd shut off 4.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

You shouldn't have 3 and 4 running and enabled in Roon at the same time.  If you're using 3 as the endpoint,  then I'd shut off 4.

jcn3, thanks for following.  Just for a clarification, In my signal path above, #4 (Roon App) is working only as a controller (#4 does not output audio signal at all, but #3 (HQP NAA) outputs to ADI-2 DAC via USB.)

Best,

Steven

16 hours ago, steven.y said:

My environment;

Macmini (intel x64):
    running

Macbook Pro (intel x64):
    running
    3) networkaudiod-412
    4) Roon App (client)

Local Network:

Signal path:
       --> wifi mesh (IPv6)
              --> networkaudiod-412

My issue;

Steven

I'd like to provide one more information.

at Roon "Play" button pushed,

~/.hqplayer/HQPlayer4Desktop.log:

& 2021/05/25 10:48:40 Playlist clear
& 2021/05/25 10:48:40 Playlist add URI: http://127.0.0.1:9102/5fb3ac2e27fd4d80bdc6b84685ba53a1/stream.raw
  2021/05/25 10:48:40 Offload: resampler=disabled convolution=disabled
& 2021/05/25 10:48:40 Play
  2021/05/25 10:48:40 Offload: resampler=disabled convolution=disabled
+ 2021/05/25 10:48:40 Playback engine running
  2021/05/25 10:48:40 Rate or blocksize change triggered
  2021/05/25 10:48:40 Rate: 44100, block size: 3528, frame size: 588
  2021/05/25 10:48:40 Block size: 3528 (sample: 3)
! 2021/05/25 10:48:40 clHQPlayerEngine::Execute(): clThreadPool::ThreadPoolCreate(): pthread_create(): Resource temporarily unavailable
  2021/05/25 10:48:40 Stop request (reset)
- 2021/05/25 10:48:40 Playback engine stopped
& 2021/05/25 10:48:40 Stop...
& 2021/05/25 10:48:40 ...stopped
  2021/05/25 10:48:40 Set volume: -3 +

Hope this help Miska investigating my issue.

Best,

Steven

On 5/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, AudioDoctor said:

Occasionally, playback will stop for me as well. I have not been able to figure out a cause. I just hit play and it continues again. Doesn't happen very often, but enough so that I am aware of it happening.

Especially for some rare occasions it would be good to catch the event in HQPlayer log file based on time stamp when it happens. Otherwise it is very hard to figure out what is going on.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

HELP !!! I don't know what's left to troubleshoot...

@Miska of course but anyone who has experimented such issues is welcome

While testing options to answer my own HQPlayer settings polls last week I had 1 short interrupt a while after most every change but then it was fine. 

Now I have settled but for convolution and resampling filters that I change depending on the content.

For 2 days I can't enjoy a single track without 1 to 3 seconds interrupts (just no sound), sometimes several in a row starting at the beginning, sometimes I can believe I solved the issue but it shows its ugly face after a while

No load issue : it happens with light filters such as mqp and no convolution engaged

I have updated Big Sur and relevant HQP for M1, restarted my NAA, my router etc 

I suspected a network thing and saw multiple such things as 

2021/05/27 12:24:47 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:24:52 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:25:07 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:25:22 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:25:27 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465

but then I would keep seeing those in the log file while playing is fine and vice versa : interrupts without those discovery things appearing in log

other possible relevant facts : Client (latest)  for non ARM older Mac sometimes lose action and I have to launch a track directly from the Mini M1 first before Client hooks anew.

Only thing I have not updated for can't see new version is Network Audio Deamon  ; could it be corrupted ? should I consider etching it anew ? Should I rather etch a latest version of Embedded to use as NAA?

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

1 hour ago, Jean Paul D said:

I suspected a network thing and saw multiple such things as 

2021/05/27 12:24:47 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:24:52 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:25:07 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:25:22 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465
* 2021/05/27 12:25:27 Discovery from 192.168.1.68:60465

but then I would keep seeing those in the log file while playing is fine and vice versa : interrupts without those discovery things appearing in log

This is HQPlayer looking for a NAA. You are seeing these while listening? They shouldn't appear at such times.

other possible relevant facts : Client (latest)  for non ARM older Mac sometimes lose action and I have to launch a track directly from the Mini M1 first before Client hooks anew.

These kind of things indicate possible network connectivity issues. Is this over wireless or wired?

Only thing I have not updated for can't see new version is Network Audio Deamon  ; could it be corrupted ? should I consider etching it anew ? Should I rather etch a latest version of Embedded to use as NAA?

There's updated NAA OS images now too, version 4.1.2. NAA OS practically cannot become corrupted as it is read-only filesystem.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

This is HQPlayer looking for a NAA. You are seeing these while listening? They shouldn't appear at such times.

These kind of things indicate possible network connectivity issues. Is this over wireless or wired?

There's updated NAA OS images now too, version 4.1.2. NAA OS practically cannot become corrupted as it is read-only filesystem.

Thank you Jussi

Yes the discovery lines sometimes pile up while I'm listening

The NAA is hard wired but the Mini is wireless. I tried from RAM Disk too ; so if it comes from a Mini connectivity issue it's on the way sending via the router, not getting audio data from the HDD attached to the router

Guess I should first etch a new NAA OS image, then hard wire the Mini (OMG !! need to get through a wall) if its does not work

Will report ; in the meantime, if you other suggestions I should try before going through the wall...

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

This is a question for Jussi. I have upgraded to 4.11.2. Although I briefly had pcm upsample to the max the Ares II will allow which is 1.4112M with source material that is 44.1 flac it will no longer do this. It will go no higher than 705.6? The previous version converted to the max the Ares II will allow in pcm every time without issue. This seems to be regardless of the filter or dither chosen. There seems to be a bug in this latest version that prevents setting sample rate higher than 705.6 when the source is 44.1. It makes no difference what filter combination is chosen. If you set the higher rate manually it won't even start to play. Strangely it actually reverted to the higher rate on this version briefly then never went back to it. It makes no difference what flac file I am using none will accept the higher rate. If it matters, I am on Linux desktop using the Mint cinnamon latest version. 

The previous version  HQPlayer never had this problem. I thought you should know.

2 minutes ago, Chodi said:

This is a question for Jussi. I have upgraded to 4.11.2. Although I briefly had pcm upsample to the max the Ares II will allow which is 1.4112M with source material that is 44.1 flac it will no longer do this. It will go no higher than 705.6? The previous version converted to the max the Ares II will allow in pcm every time without issue. This seems to be regardless of the filter or dither chosen. There seems to be a bug in this latest version that prevents setting sample rate higher than 705.6 when the source is 44.1. It makes no difference what filter combination is chosen. If you set the higher rate manually it won't even start to play. Strangely it actually reverted to the higher rate on this version briefly then never went back to it. It makes no difference what flac file I am using none will accept the higher rate. If it matters, I am on Linux desktop using the Mint cinnamon latest version. 

The previous version  HQPlayer never had this problem. I thought you should know.

Did you update the Ares firmware as well?

Denafrips has firmware that limits units to 16fs and firmware that enables 32fs. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

30 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Did you update the Ares firmware as well?

Denafrips has firmware that limits units to 16fs and firmware that enables 32fs. 

Very interesting. I will search for that. I doubt that is the issue here as it worked perfectly on the previous version of HQ Player. Only after I did the upgrade to the latest version did this problem appear. But thanks, I will check the denafrips site for any upgrade.

17 hours ago, Miska said:

Ok, done it twice :

Hardwired, Mini's WIFi oFF

After relaunching HQP and Client, respectively on a Mini and a MBP, and a few glitches, say at 1 and 3 minutes into the first track, the network settles and I can then enjoy a full album.

Now the ethernet cable goes trough a door left ajar and going through the wall after moving heavy furniture including 1500 + LPs will prove very very cumbersome. 

Any idea how to get a stable WIFI connection back? ( Mini and Airport are only 50 centimetres away, but with a wall in between and it used to work)? fix IP ? any idea?

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1