IGNORED

HQ Player

This post is intended just to outline the deficiencies of the Ryzen 3 platform to run HQPlayer under Linux, new system with Aorus Master x570 board and Ryzen 3800X running stock speed.

Tried Gentooplayer, Audiolinux, all latest versions.

As a last test I used Ubuntu 18.04 with the default kernel 4.15.0-101-generic fresh install, still stutters with 7EC DSD256

image.thumb.png.16b90312af154a1c5491f5c507f69a1b.png

Installed the custom kernel 5.4.39-jl+, same results

image.thumb.png.2204b5e39e92f1b25e4b9ac5bcc74461.png

I am tempted to try HqpOS although I need to put Roon on a separate system for this effect.

By the way the stuttering happens with Roon playing and also playing natively with HQPlayer directly, 2 cores used the remaining ones low use

image.thumb.png.815c4b9948d1ad5d354ecc090db1bc90.png

Save yourself some time and money and follow the advise on this site (not as a I did) about the Intel platform as the best suited to run HQPlayer.

Unless Linux does a better job managing the Ryzen CPU is not worth the trouble.

4 hours ago, luisma said:

This post is intended just to outline the deficiencies of the Ryzen 3 platform to run HQPlayer under Linux, new system with Aorus Master x570 board and Ryzen 3800X running stock speed.

Installed the custom kernel 5.4.39-jl+, same results

image.thumb.png.2204b5e39e92f1b25e4b9ac5bcc74461.png

Load distribution looks correct, but the two high loaded cores don't get enough clock boost to fall into 90% range.

On latest HQPlayer Embedded on Ubuntu with my custom kernel, can you try setting "multicore" attribute in hqplayerd.xml from default "auto" to "1" and see if it makes things worse or better. Usually it makes things worse, but I'd like to hear what it does on your AMD system.

It will try to split the work to more cores, but usually the multi-core communication overhead kills all the benefits for that case.

This is equivalent of setting Multicore DSP to checked on HQPlayer Desktop. But Windows has it's own additional extra overheads.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 7/16/2016 at 1:48 AM, Jud said:

The Ayre's filtering is quite public (subject of a white paper), and there's no particular reason it should be incompatible with HQP. Its filtering does sound quite good (to my ears, anyway) and it wouldn't surprise me if at least qqqqaqgqgqv usome people prefer its sound to that of various HQP filters.

On 7/15/2016 at 11:48 AM, Jud said:

The Ayre's filtering is quite public (subject of a white paper), and there's no particular reason it should be incompatible with HQP. Its filtering does sound quite good (to my ears, anyway) and it wouldn't surprise me if at least some people prefer its sound to that of various HQP filters.

It would surprise me if, among all the options that Jussi offers, someone couldn't find an HQP filter that sounded better than Ayre's filtering, especially in view of the low regard that Charles Hansen had for DSD.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

It would surprise me if, among all the options that Jussi offers, someone couldn't find an HQP filter that sounded better than Ayre's filtering, especially in view of the low regard that Charles Hansen had for DSD.

Oops. Mea culpa. I didn't look at the date of the post to which I replied as above. I doubt that anything regarding the state of digital filters four years ago would have much, if any, relevance today. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 5/24/2020 at 1:03 AM, thisisvv said:

I want to buy Hqplayer love the demo...Only thing do i need to Buy roon to stream quboz....is there any other way?...i have a main pc with lot of apps i am planning to buy a NAA that get the audio then gives to dac etc...Do i really need roon?

Anyone can comment on this please? Dont want to buy roon jsut to stream quboz...

8 minutes ago, thisisvv said:

Anyone can comment on this please? Dont want to buy roon jsut to stream quboz...

If you buy a separate machine that can run HQ OS (runs as both server and NAA), then you can use Audirvana to play Qobuz to HQP OS (via UPnP).

But for just one machine, I think you need to somehow route the audio from Qobuz to HQPlayer 'Input'.

If you already have Qobuz, you can try this for free with HQP free trial.

5 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

But for just one machine, I think you need to somehow route the audio from Qobuz to HQPlayer 'Input'.

How to do this ?...i have a main PC

AMD 1950X

64GB RAM

2 Titan XP..

Windows 10..

quboz is installed here...how do i output to HQ input...

2nd PC

Intel i7

32gb ram

windows server 2016

19 hours ago, Miska said:

hqplayerd.xml from default "auto" to "1" and see if it makes things worse or better

root@master3800x:~# cat /etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml | grep multicore
        <engine auto_family="1" cd_drive="/dev/cdrom" channels="2" cuda="0" direct_sdm="0" dsd_6db="1" fft_size="512" multicore="1" pdm_conv="8" pdm_filt="0" removable="/media" sdm_conversion="0" sdm_integrator="0" volume_adaptive="0" volume_hw="0" volume_max="0" volume_min="-60" volume_scaler="0.75">

Very interesting results, better utilization with the threads and the cores, instead of stuttering every 18 seconds, it does it every 40 seconds exactly, that is with 100 ms of buffer.

Let me increase the buffer to 250 ms.

I'll be damned, now it won't stutter, CPU core processing with the buffer increase is slightly less, big difference in my opinion.

All testing done at 250 ms buffer and 7EC modulator

image.png.86df71ff607797d9ef15d85905dfa2c1.png

CPU with 100 ms HQP buffering - poli xtr mp - stuttering every 18 seconds

image.thumb.png.81f0c26ae734ade9e60d7cce4e15635d.png

CPU with 250 ms HQP buffering - poli xtr mp- No stuttering - very uniform (considering) core utilization - Note this is a polynomial "kind of" non-apodizing filter

image.thumb.png.45d326b6017ddd2a789b623b031983c7.png

CPU with 250 ms HQP buffering - closed-form now - No stuttering - not so uniform (considering) core utilization - Note this is very similar (quoting the creator) to poli xtr in length, strictly non-apodizing as well but different algorithm (interpolator)

image.thumb.png.d285320a9666bb4a6328fca6f1692551.png

CPU with 250 ms HQP buffering - closed-form-16M now - Stuttering every 4 seconds but that was expected. Curiously the CPU utilization doesn't even get too high with this filter which makes me thing the bottleneck processing could be somewhere else, memory bandwidth / chipset maybe?

image.thumb.png.4446173e7c171e890053120421646090.png

CPU with 250 ms HQP buffering - sinc-M now - Stuttering every 17 seconds, results similar to the interpolation closed-form, 2 cores not used

image.thumb.png.fa68f58684329538126fc548caeda2c2.png

poli-ext2 plays but stuttering every 52 seconds, less utilization on some cores than xtr

Without much more further testing, thank you @Miska for the multicore recommendation, it does make a difference an allows me to run certain filters at DSD256 with 7EC without stuttering on the 3800X, what is amazing is how much difference each filter poses for the core utilization. So far poli xtr is so balanced using cores. Eventually after a few songs will start stuttering again due to thermal throttle down.

I will leave the 3800X for work (which I needed one anyway) and will move to the Intel platform with one of the Fractal chassis.

Thank you again

image.png

Got issues playing Tidal tracks on the last two version of HQP Embedded, it stutters(not the stutter you get when using heavy filters, this one the machine hangs for quite a bit then continue playing) randomly now w/c works fine before, does not happen on local hi res files. Any ideas? please advise. Any logs I could view for sending?

2 minutes ago, luisma said:

stupid question but are you using Wifi by any chance to stream?

Yup using wifi, I am also thinking that as the culprit, but I am not having this issue previously since I upgrade to a version with the adaptive volume. Maybe I'll try downgrading is it as simple as upgrading? I'll just install a previous package file and it will overwrite everything?

Well it all depends on the quality of it, just remember if you are at home that with COVID more people are using the Internet, less oversubscribed bandwidth available for you, more people using wireless around you that means extra framing on the air, more work for the access points etc. I use wireless myself that's why I made the stupid question. Most likely that would be your issue, IME newer versions if anything do better processing. You mentioned "package" you using HQPOS, Ubuntu, Debian or other Linux flavors?

3 minutes ago, luisma said:

Well it all depends on the quality of it, just remember if you are at home that with COVID more people are using the Internet, less oversubscribed bandwidth available for you, more people using wireless around you that means extra framing on the air, more work for the access points etc. I use wireless myself that's why I made the stupid question. Most likely that would be your issue, IME newer versions if anything do better processing. You mentioned "package" you using HQPOS, Ubuntu, Debian or other Linux flavors?

Thanks for the advise, I am running Ubuntu. Tomorrow morning i'll be hooking it up directly on the router. Only gripe is the router is on another room and is faraway. I already have the long lan cable(probably 30M, It will go through the walls and to the ceiling to the audio setup). Just being lazy setting it up :P. I'll hook it up directly just to test.

We are on the same predicament except I can't run the cables through the wall and to the upper floor unfortunately.

Fortunately one of the things I do for a living (when I am not wasting time here with the hobby) is wireless, I have a very very good Ruckus 720 AP at home and wireless is excellent,  you could get a Ubiquity AP (if you don't have one already) that could improve things at a very reasonable cost, but if you have more than 10 neighbor SSID's or if you live in an apartment building or metro area forget it, Ubiquity won't work as good. Sorry for the OT rant.

1 hour ago, rastanearian said:

Am I missing something? HQ Player won't run on my computer at all. It installs but won't run. 

I'm using Windows 10 and can't find anything in the manual to remedy this.

Any suggestions?

Some details about the computer could be help.

But check that you have latest display drivers installed and that you CPU supports at least SSE4.2 instruction set.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Some details about the computer could be help.

But check that you have latest display drivers installed and that you CPU supports at least SSE4.2 instruction set.

I think you nailed it. I've been milking this old computer for too long. I'm currently waiting on parts for a new build, so thanks for the help. I'll sit tight until the new one is built.

Cheers.

28 minutes ago, rastanearian said:

I think you nailed it. I've been milking this old computer for too long. I'm currently waiting on parts for a new build, so thanks for the help. I'll sit tight until the new one is built.

Cheers.

I run HQP on a 10 year old core i3, no GPU, with no problem, although I only do PCM processing. But you say it doesn't even start, that seems very strange to me.

1 hour ago, pcmchild said:

I run HQP on a 10 year old core i3, no GPU, with no problem, although I only do PCM processing. But you say it doesn't even start, that seems very strange to me.

I thought so too. The remaining parts for the new build showed up today, so not to worry.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:54 AM, Miska said:

I have not tried any other loopback software ever than the ALSA's built-in loopback driver on Linux. So I have not much to comment on that front.

Hi Jussi, can you share some basic instruction on how to use ALSA's built-in loopback driver on Linux?

To route (for example) Firefox  web-browser audio to HQP Embedded?