IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, tommy-99 said:

im using HQPlayer since two years and had no problems until Mojave/Catalina with 980 TI Egpu.

Main Problem is that we only have Cuda offload on HQPlayer and Apple/Nvidia does not anymore provide drivers to newer NVidia Card (980 TI is already to new). Since i switched to new Macbook with Radeon VIi and 5700 XT egpus, i have no offloading of filters and cant play to DSD 512 anymore. 

What kind of MacBook CPU do you have if you cannot do DSD512? I would expect newer ones do DSD512 just fine with -2s filters or ext2.

1 hour ago, tommy-99 said:

@Miska: Any plans to add additional Offload methods (Metal, OpenCl) for AMD Gpus on Macs?

At the moment there are no suitable offload methods available. Metal is macOS specific and OpenCL programming model is not well suited for non-graphical processing tasks. The ones that could be suitable are not supported.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 hours ago, jacques_racine said:

A few years have passed and I am not totally up-to-date as far as the many new filters. Reading the review of the Taiko Extreme just recently published, and checking the settings the review uses,  I thought I might be ready for an update...

My dac is an Aqua Formula xHD. What settings would you recommend?

For starters, set DAC Bits to 24 and Dither to LNS15. And then upsample to 705.6/768k PCM using filter of your choice. You can set Adaptive Output Rate to checked or grayed. I would recommend to get started with poly-sinc-ext2 filter. You can then try other filters too and see which one you prefer. There is some amount of description about each in the manual.

It is also worth trying setting DAC Bits to 20, this will likely provide better low level linearity. For exact value, linearity sweep measurement would be needed.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

No, not particularly good... Relatively weak CPU and GPU. And their OS and driver stack is very difficult to deal with. I have one Jetson development kit, but gave up trying to use it for anything.

Yes.. i saw after.. only 256 CUDA Core.. not 2500 !! :)

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

3 hours ago, Miska said:

It is also worth trying setting DAC Bits to 20, this will likely provide better low level linearity. For exact value, linearity sweep measurement would be needed.

With RME ADI-2, I use "defaut" (32 bits) but can you describe "linearity sweep mesurement" ?? No interest to test 20bits with a RME... (?)
Thanks for your support and tips

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

24 minutes ago, Zauurx said:

With RME ADI-2, I use "defaut" (32 bits) but can you describe "linearity sweep mesurement" ?? No interest to test 20bits with a RME... (?)

With SDM DACs it doesn't work the same way as with R2R ladders. This is because you only get direct access to the conversion stage with DSD inputs. With ADI-2 just set it to DSD Direct mode and always send DSD256 there. If you really need to send PCM, just send 32-bits TPDF dithered or LNS15 noise shaped at 705.6/768k rate.

With R2R DACs, knowing the actual ladder accuracy helps, because you can then actually increase the resolution by reducing the number of bits sent there and utilizing suitable noise-shaping. So you only use linear region of the converter and make up for the missing bits by using high sampling rate and noise shaping.

But for most R2R cases, 20 bit is kind of safe guess, a very accurate R2R can reach about that. At highest rates you can go even down to 16-bit and still get enough dynamic range in 50 kHz band to exceed the DAC's analog performance.

I believe this have been asked before but cannot find the exact page on this thread.

Starting to play DSD 256 with 7EC modulator, every 18 seconds or so music stops for 3 seconds or so, play for 18 more seconds and stops again and so on and so forth

I think it is because the AMD 3800X CPU distribution and I am working on using a different distribution for testing but if someone ran across this already (which I kind of remember someone did) and there is another solution your comments would be greatly appreciated thank you

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

What do you mean by different distribution?

I was using GentooPlayer, will be changing to Audiolinux and possibly Ubuntu as it seems GentooPlayer CPU governors were missing from my specific image, I would love to use HQPOS but need Roon to run on the same PC as well.

Part of the filter lack of resources I believe it is the distribution of Linux used and its config that's what I meant

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Minimal Ubuntu Server (only SSH server and standard utilitie

That's what I was using for the 1st year, then got involved with Archlinux etc.

It seems to be an issue with the archlinux configurations and the AMD cpu, there are no governors, scaling frequency etc. like with intel. I will be asking the developers and also will try the Ubuntu minimal with your kernel to see how the CPU process distribution goes.

Hey everyone.  I'm having some issues getting the HQPlayer NAA to run on my sMS-200ultra.  I'm hoping someone has some insight or solutions from having been in a similar situation, because I'm stumped...  I posted this as a separate topic, and it was immediately suggested that I come here instead, so... here I am.

I've had the sMS for a couple years, and it has worked flawlessly as a Roon endpoint.  For the first time, yesterday, I downloaded HQPlayer to try out the ability to stream live audio from another PC through the network.  I installed HQPlayer NAA on the sMS, but just couldn't see it on the network no matter what I tried.  Poking around, I realized that the issue seems to be on the sMS (Eunhasu) software... Every time I try to make HQPlayer NAA "active", it just refuses to run... Every time I press the 'play' button, it just acts busy for a while, and sometimes I need to refresh the page after a long time, whereby is always ends up "inactive".

I've tried rebooting the sMS and reinstalling the software with all different combinations of settings, including setting IPv6 mode on both the sMS and in the HQPlayer settings, setting a static IP, making sure to reboot after installing but before trying to make it "active"...  The only time it shows as being "active" is when I first reboot the sMS after installing HQPlayer NAA... but, this is reporting falsely because as soon as I refresh the webpage for Eunhasu, it's right back to 'inactive', and I have never been able to find the server on the network from another computer.

As another test, I downloaded HQPlayer NAA on one PC and tried to access it remotely from a second PC.  This worked instantly, perfectly, which is further evidence that the problem lies in the sMS / Eunhasu. 

I'm actually without any ideas for other solutions at this point, so I'm reaching out.  Yes, I've e-mailed SoTM about this, and am awaiting a response, but I'm not sure how long they will take to respond, and someone here may have an answer as well...

It really feels like a software bug to me, but there is no option to try to install a previous version through the simple menus of Eunhasu.  It couldn't be network issues because the same exact setup works perfectly with Roon... same architecture, and everything is hard wired.  Also important to note is that all software is current and up to date on the sMS-200Ultra, and otherwise running flawlessly.  Also, it's feeding a Yggdrasil V2 with Unison USB.

Thanks for any insight!

4 hours ago, tea_hous said:

Hey everyone.  I'm having some issues getting the HQPlayer NAA to run on my sMS-200ultra.  I'm hoping someone has some insight or solutions from having been in a similar situation, because I'm stumped...  I posted this as a separate topic, and it was immediately suggested that I come here instead, so... here I am.

I've had the sMS for a couple years, and it has worked flawlessly as a Roon endpoint.  For the first time, yesterday, I downloaded HQPlayer to try out the ability to stream live audio from another PC through the network.  I installed HQPlayer NAA on the sMS, but just couldn't see it on the network no matter what I tried.  Poking around, I realized that the issue seems to be on the sMS (Eunhasu) software... Every time I try to make HQPlayer NAA "active", it just refuses to run... Every time I press the 'play' button, it just acts busy for a while, and sometimes I need to refresh the page after a long time, whereby is always ends up "inactive".

I've tried rebooting the sMS and reinstalling the software with all different combinations of settings, including setting IPv6 mode on both the sMS and in the HQPlayer settings, setting a static IP, making sure to reboot after installing but before trying to make it "active"...  The only time it shows as being "active" is when I first reboot the sMS after installing HQPlayer NAA... but, this is reporting falsely because as soon as I refresh the webpage for Eunhasu, it's right back to 'inactive', and I have never been able to find the server on the network from another computer.

As another test, I downloaded HQPlayer NAA on one PC and tried to access it remotely from a second PC.  This worked instantly, perfectly, which is further evidence that the problem lies in the sMS / Eunhasu. 

I'm actually without any ideas for other solutions at this point, so I'm reaching out.  Yes, I've e-mailed SoTM about this, and am awaiting a response, but I'm not sure how long they will take to respond, and someone here may have an answer as well...

It really feels like a software bug to me, but there is no option to try to install a previous version through the simple menus of Eunhasu.  It couldn't be network issues because the same exact setup works perfectly with Roon... same architecture, and everything is hard wired.  Also important to note is that all software is current and up to date on the sMS-200Ultra, and otherwise running flawlessly.  Also, it's feeding a Yggdrasil V2 with Unison USB.

Thanks for any insight!

You dont say hw your SMS200 Ultra is inked to your Hqplayer PC! If you hv never used HQPlayer NAA on the Eunhasu web interface then you need to touch the settings icon on Eunhasu HQplayer NAA Part and SET IT UP For the first time!

If u hv done that and Eunhasu still does not go Active then your network connectio.has a broken link! 

Let me give u an example from my network with my 200 Ultra Neo.. I use an Asus AC86 router to generate the IP4 carrier signal but I dont connect it to the internet! I stream local PCM And DSD UPsampled fies to my Etherregen and to my Ultra Neo .. The Neo is connected vis an IsoRegen to jy Dac!

As long as my Asus is powered up, Eunhasu will show up on my Iphone. But if my Ether Regen or my IsoRegen or my Dac is not powered online properly, HQplayer NAA will not engage Active Status on the Eunhasu page on

my Iphone

Try it

Check all the indication lights on your internet ports! They shuld bink green /orange! I had used a Netgear GS105 switch between my Asus AC68 router and my Ultra Neo! Could not get Active status on my NAA eunhasu .. One internet port was burnt out! switching ports solved it! Or it could be a defective Cat cable ! Dumped 3 of those cheap generic cables before I upgraded to better Cat 8 cables! So check the lights on your ports and swop cables

1 hour ago, kelvinwsy said:

You dont say hw your SMS200 Ultra is inked to your Hqplayer PC! If you hv never used HQPlayer NAA on the Eunhasu web interface then you need to touch the settings icon on Eunhasu HQplayer NAA Part and SET IT UP For the first time!

Thanks for the reply!  The sMS and PC are both hard wired directly to my router with CAT6.  I'm not sure what settings I need to adjust in the Eunhasu page -- it's pretty minimal -- things like computer name and whether to use IPv6 (which I tried).

If u hv done that and Eunhasu still does not go Active then your network connectio.has a broken link! 

To counterpoint this, Roon works perfectly using the exact same system.

But if my Ether Regen or my IsoRegen or my Dac is not powered online properly, HQplayer NAA will not engage Active Status on the Eunhasu page on

This has me wondering if there is a compatibility issue between Schiit's Unison USB and HQPlayer... maybe it's showing that it is 'off' somehow, even though it is 'on'... I don't know.

I want to buy Hqplayer love the demo...Only thing do i need to Buy roon to stream quboz....is there any other way?...i have a main pc with lot of apps i am planning to buy a NAA that get the audio then gives to dac etc...Do i really need roon?

I want to buy Hqplayer love the demo...Only thing do i need to Buy roon to stream quboz....is there any other way?...i have a main pc with lot of apps i am planning to buy a NAA that get the audio then gives to dac etc...Do i really need roon?

3 hours ago, tea_hous said:

This has me wondering if there is a compatibility issue between Schiit's Unison USB and HQPlayer... maybe it's showing that it is 'off' somehow, even though it is 'on'... I don't know.

It would be good to enable HQPlayer log file and check from the log whether the NAA is found, but DAC not or if the NAA is not found in first place. In the log HQPlayer tells how many NAAs it has found on the network. And then lists the DACs it has found behind each NAA. This would indicate whether it is network problem or something further inside the NAA device.

There are instructions in the manual "Troubleshooting" section how to locate the log file.

question:
with the saber 9018 which modulator and filtering do you use?
mostly files listening 16 / 44.1 (and some 24/96) with upsmpling to dsd 256.
it is currently set as follows:
poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s
DSD5v2 256 + fs
I never understood how the saber 9018 behaves when sending a file with hqplayer at the maximum frequency that the chip supports ....
i don't think everything goes without any saber chip intervention ....
thanks.

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

1 hour ago, giordy60 said:

question:
with the saber 9018 which modulator and filtering do you use?
mostly files listening 16 / 44.1 (and some 24/96) with upsmpling to dsd 256.
it is currently set as follows:
poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s
DSD5v2 256 + fs
I never understood how the saber 9018 behaves when sending a file with hqplayer at the maximum frequency that the chip supports ....

I would use ASDM5 and if possible ASDM5EC if you run it at DSD256.

1 hour ago, giordy60 said:

i don't think everything goes without any saber chip intervention ....

That is correct, but this is shortest path through with least intervention.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I would use ASDM5 and if possible ASDM5EC if you run it at DSD256.

if I use Ec with asdm5 .... "stutters" .....🙄
I should use another filter ......

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

yes of course, it works very well! 

sistema: