IGNORED

HQ Player

35 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

I do have the control from network button pressed.( although it does not look like a globe)

I have been running HQP on this computer for years, with Roon, controlled from a tablet.  The difference is that I do not have any Roon program running, at the moment. Do I need Roon bridge or Roon RATT or something from Roon running for Roon to communicate with HQP? 

I don’t think I have a firewall issue. Would a firewall issue have kept me from communicating with Roon previously?  I thought I had turned the firewalls off because I don’t really go onto the Internet with this machine 

I am running HQP desktop. 

You only need Roon Server (Core) which then talks to HQPlayer, and Roon app somewhere to control the Roon Server.

When both Roon and HQPlayer are running on the same computer, they are usually configured to talk through "localhost" (127.0.0.1) in which case many firewalls don't intervene because the connection is internal to the computer. When they are on a separate computer they need an external IP which then is possibly controlled by a firewall. Also local connections don't require that button in toolbar to be pressed, when the button is pressed, HQPlayer also listens for external connections.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You only need Roon Server (Core) which then talks to HQPlayer, and Roon app somewhere to control the Roon Server.

When both Roon and HQPlayer are running on the same computer, they are usually configured to talk through "localhost" (127.0.0.1) in which case many firewalls don't intervene because the connection is internal to the computer. When they are on a separate computer they need an external IP which then is possibly controlled by a firewall. Also local connections don't require that button in toolbar to be pressed, when the button is pressed, HQPlayer also listens for external connections.

If I have the firewall on on the pipeline computer I will turn it off. 

Is there a possibility it could be an issue with the firewall on the new NAS?

The plan is, once I have this working I am going to install  Audio Linux and HQPe.  And then I will own all three versions of HQP 🙂.  I will send you a message from your site. 

I wanted to make sure I could get this working with Roon on the NAS first. 

37 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

If I have the firewall on on the pipeline computer I will turn it off. 

Is there a possibility it could be an issue with the firewall on the new NAS?

The plan is, once I have this working I am going to install  Audio Linux and HQPe.  And then I will own all three versions of HQP 🙂.  I will send you a message from your site. 

I wanted to make sure I could get this working with Roon on the NAS first. 

For the Roon <-> HQPlayer both need to be able to connect to each other. But NAS devices rarely have a firewall since they are not supposed to be directly facing bare internet but instead located in a safe local network environment. And firewalls usually don't limit outgoing connections much. First thing that happens is Roon connecting to HQPlayer for control. Later on, HQPlayer connects to Roon for streaming media. But this looks like Roon failing to connect to HQPlayer.

There is nothing extraordinary between Roon and HQPlayer communication, just normal TCP connections both ways.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

For the Roon <-> HQPlayer both need to be able to connect to each other. But NAS devices rarely have a firewall since they are not supposed to be directly facing bare internet but instead located in a safe local network environment. And firewalls usually don't limit outgoing connections much. First thing that happens is Roon connecting to HQPlayer for control. Later on, HQPlayer connects to Roon for streaming media. But this looks like Roon failing to connect to HQPlayer.

There is nothing extraordinary between Roon and HQPlayer communication, just normal TCP connections both ways.

I was the firewall. Thank you

Roon on the Nas and only windows 10 and HQP on the pipeline sounds great. 

I put on the Beatles Abbey Road and and you never give me your Money the piano sounded sharper and at the end as it fades out to crickets they were all types of different sounds in there I’ve never heard before and in the sun king you could hear john breathing in between verses. 

Thanks for all the help from Miska and Sevenfeet yesterday trying to get a USB flash drive set up as a Linux boot for NAA use on a Mac Mini. I totally blew up my Mini's SSD (too late to take your advice, Miska) but was able to reinstall High Sierra on the SSD and all is as it was two days ago. I will practice on a Linux system via Parallels or VirtualBox. I just don't know enough about Linux command line to get NAA installed as a startup daemon on either a flash boot stick or as an minimal Linux install. Time to do some learning!

Hi, as a lot of us like to tinker with our systems and try different components, one thing that would be really awesome for HQPlayer to do is simultaneously output to two different DACs connected to the PC or via NAA.  This way, we can A/B the two DACs by switching inputs via the pre-amp.  I guess there would be a limit in that the output stream/bit rate etc would need to be identical unless the pc has the power to convert multiple streams at once.  Not sure if this is possible, but would be a great feature for version 4!  Thank you.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:58 PM, Miska said:

Looks like the playback started and stopped just fine. But at 48k x256 rate which is not supported by many DACs although they advertise support for it. So many times it seems like playing but output is muted. You need to set rate limit to 44.1k x256 and make sure that you don't have "Auto rate family" checked.

6 hours ago, Hammer said:

Hi, as a lot of us like to tinker with our systems and try different components, one thing that would be really awesome for HQPlayer to do is simultaneously output to two different DACs connected to the PC or via NAA.  This way, we can A/B the two DACs by switching inputs via the pre-amp.  I guess there would be a limit in that the output stream/bit rate etc would need to be identical unless the pc has the power to convert multiple streams at once.  Not sure if this is possible, but would be a great feature for version 4!  Thank you.

With NAA it could be doable given same output settings. They won't be nicely in sync, so not really synchronized enough to be "in phase", but for this kind of use it would be OK to have some tens of milliseconds delay difference.

41 minutes ago, Miska said:

With NAA it could be doable given same output settings. They won't be nicely in sync, so not really synchronized enough to be "in phase", but for this kind of use it would be OK to have some tens of milliseconds delay difference.

Thanks!  I think it would be a great addition!

54 minutes ago, Miska said:

Are you planning to run NAA in a VM or HQPlayer in a VM?

Running NAA in a VM will likely be a disaster. But running HQPlayer in a VM with output to a NAA should work OK'ish.

I tried the NAA in a Parallels Windows 10 VM (didn't work for either a Windows 8.1 or 10 VM) on a Mac Mini. I run HQPlayer on an iMacPro and I'd like to keep it there since it is a processing powerhouse and dead quiet. Still trying to figure out how to get to DSD512 via NAA on my Mac Mini. I could try Windows 10 in Boot Camp instead of via Parallels VM. Would that work for NAA? I've still had no luck trying to figure out how to run Linux on the Mac Mini so I could use it for NAA.

3 minutes ago, ABQMD said:

I tried the NAA in a Parallels Windows 10 VM (didn't work for either a Windows 8.1 or 10 VM) on a Mac Mini. I run HQPlayer on an iMacPro and I'd like to keep it there since it is a processing powerhouse and dead quiet. Still trying to figure out how to get to DSD512 via NAA on my Mac Mini. I could try Windows 10 in Boot Camp instead of via Parallels VM. Would that work for NAA?

It sort of works, but Windows for NAA is kind of counter productive. A massive OS for doing a very small specific task...

I think it may be worth going through the effort to have a Linux based NAA with absolutely minimal activity and just text console...

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

It sort of works, but Windows for NAA is kind of counter productive. A massive OS for doing a very small specific task...

I think it may be worth going through the effort to have a Linux based NAA with absolutely minimal activity and just text console...

One more question: would NAA work in a Linux VM in Parallels on a Mac, or would the Linux OS need to be direct installed?

36 minutes ago, ABQMD said:

One more question: would NAA work in a Linux VM in Parallels on a Mac, or would the Linux OS need to be direct installed?

Stacking two OS for actual audio output is a bad idea and usually has number of problems. NAA is best run as close to the bare hardware as possible.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Stacking two OS for actual audio output is a bad idea and usually has number of problems. NAA is best run as close to the bare hardware as possible.

OK! I will stop messing with VMs and get back to work on a Linux install for NAA on my Mac Mini. Muchas gracias, Miska.

Jussi, I'm having an issue with streaming HQPlayer from my Mac Mini. It can play DSD256 with the poly-sinc-xtr filter just fine as long as I have the "auto-rate family" option turned on. If I turn that option off, however, it chokes and cannot play with the same settings anymore. It has the same issue whether it's upsampling 44.1 or Hi-res files to DSD256. I don't think this was an issue with the version 3.25.2 of HQPlayer, but it is an issue with version 3.25.3.

If I run HQPlayer via Windows 10 in Boot Camp, it can handle DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr with the "auto-rate family" option turned on or off, no problem.

22 minutes ago, dc-audiogeek said:

Jussi, I'm having an issue with streaming HQPlayer from my Mac Mini. It can play DSD256 with the poly-sinc-xtr filter just fine as long as I have the "auto-rate family" option turned on. If I turn that option off, however, it chokes and cannot play with the same settings anymore. It has the same issue whether it's upsampling 44.1 or Hi-res files to DSD256. I don't think this was an issue with the version 3.25.2 of HQPlayer, but it is an issue with version 3.25.3.

If I run HQPlayer via Windows 10 in Boot Camp, it can handle DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr with the "auto-rate family" option turned on or off, no problem.

Huh, I see I was having this issue before. Guess it's not the software.

Hi @Miska

Regarding Archimago's recent blog post about HQP (very positive overall, as expected of course!), I found these results interesting:

archimago.thumb.png.c874b27cbb5ad2c85091a186f151717d.png

With the ultrasonics results in the above, for poly-sinc and sinc-M filters (44.1 to 192kHz PCM), what are these bunches of spikes (noise?) just before 40kHz, 60kHz and 80kHz?

And would you expect these to disappear if he had up-sampled to PCM705kHz instead of 192k?

10 hours ago, ABQMD said:

I tried the NAA in a Parallels Windows 10 VM (didn't work for either a Windows 8.1 or 10 VM) on a Mac Mini. I run HQPlayer on an iMacPro and I'd like to keep it there since it is a processing powerhouse and dead quiet. Still trying to figure out how to get to DSD512 via NAA on my Mac Mini. I could try Windows 10 in Boot Camp instead of via Parallels VM. Would that work for NAA? I've still had no luck trying to figure out how to run Linux on the Mac Mini so I could use it for NAA.

I am using an 18 core iMac Pro, for native (not DoP) DSD512 I found the best and most affordable (at least for my budget and taste) is to use an SMS200 Neo as an NAA.