IGNORED

HQ Player

2 hours ago, Hammer said:

I wonder if HQPlayer can simply change the power profile on its own when it is playing, and then switch back when it is idle.

It probably could, but I think it would go to "assuming too much" category. IMO, messing with such things is something application is not supposed to do... If it would, then someone would ask "can I script this?" and then the conclusion is - it shouldn't have been there in the first place...

Keeping such things separate is just better overall.

We are already starting to see that keeping UI and audio endpoint separate from the player is also better overall.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

It probably could, but I think it would go to "assuming too much" category. IMO, messing with such things is something application is not supposed to do... If it would, then someone would ask "can I script this?" and then the conclusion is - it shouldn't have been there in the first place...

We are already starting to see that keeping UI and audio endpoint separate from the player is also better overall.

This what "Process Lasso/Park Control" that I mentioned above does very well.

3 minutes ago, bobflood said:

This what "Process Lasso/Park Control" that I mentioned above does very well.

Is it documented somewhere what it exactly does? I don't like things that mess with the OS without exactly specifying what they do.

Does it also know how to deal with GPU power management (Nvidia drivers)?

When I encounter such problems with Windows or macOS, I rather throw out the OS and replace it with Linux...

Just now, Miska said:

Is it documented somewhere what it exactly does? I don't like things that mess with the OS without exactly specifying what they do.

Does it also know how to deal with GPU power management (Nvidia drivers)?

I am not very technical so I can't answer your questions directly but you could check on the "Bitsum" website here https://bitsum.com/.

The author has been at this for a long while and he makes a point to support audiophiles' needs. He is very good at responding to questions as well. I read a review of this product  "Sound Galleries SGM Server" where this product was running HQPlayer and Process Lasso to output DSD 512 without issue. I am not trying to sell this but I will say that I have used it with success on several computers over the last several years. It is worth investigating. One thing I will mention is that if you are running the MS Server 2016 as the OS you would need the paid server version of Process Lasso.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

That’s actually one of the reasons why I moved HQPlayer to the server.  I started using  a NUC NAA device (thanks for the x86-64 image) and so it became having 2 pc’s running all day (NAA and dedicated HQPlayer machine) when I only listen perhaps an hour a day.  I tried a pi2 to save some power, but that was not powerful enough for DSD256.

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Can you provide a screenshot?

If you get output this way you are doing PCM to DSD upsampling already. What are you expecting to happen?

That is unrelated to HQPlayer...

You can see in this image that I choose SDM(DSD) in the right pull down.  As far as I understand, this should convert a PCM file to DSD.  As you can see the display shows that it is playing PCM 352.8.  the front of the Holo Spring displays 352.8.

The drop downs only show PCM options.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

4 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

You can see in this image that I choose SDM(DSD) in the right pull down.  As far as I understand, this should convert a PCM file to DSD.  As you can see the display shows that it is playing PCM 352.8.  the front of the Holo Spring displays 352.8.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

IMG_4776.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

don't know your DAC and OS is not specified but turning SDM pack to dop seems a good start

7 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

Is this HQPlayer 3.19.1 or some older one? Because 3.19.1 fixes specifically these kind of display issues.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Is this HQPlayer 3.19.1 or some older one? Because 3.19.1 fixes specifically these kind of display issues.

I must not be understanding something. I thought if  The right-hand pull down has DSD chosen then the software would convert PCM and output DSD. You can see on the display that it is out putting PCM and the front of the DAC confirms that it is out putting  PCM.  So how can this be a display issue?   Previously when I chose the right hand pull down as DSD the software without putting DSD and the front of my DAC would show DSD and the sample rate. 

I am rounding in an older version, because as I said in my original post that I cannot access the Internet  because suddenly  Windows will not let the administrator/default profile have Internet access. I was hoping someone would have had a similar issue and give me a clue on how to solve it because I have tried everything I can think of. Thank you very much for your help 

I agree it is not a display issue. I would do two things:

1). Reinstall holo Ashok driver (3.4)

2). Set DSD max rate at 44 x 256 just in case 512 is too much for your server and we are seeing it simply giving up and staying in pcm

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

I agree it is not a display issue. I would do two things:

1). Reinstall holo Ashok driver (3.4)

2). Set DSD max rate at 44 x 256 just in case 512 is too much for your server and we are seeing it simply giving up and staying in pcm

I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the HOLO spring   At Tims  suggestion.  

The first thing I did when I got the spring was go to DSD512, It worked just fine with that – 2S. 

I played 16 and 24 bit PCM files to burn in that module, and when I went back to DSD I could not get it to work. 

I will try changing the sample rate, but part of the issue is that I do not have any DSD filters in the pulldown's on the left hand side of the main window 

3 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I must not be understanding something. I thought if  The right-hand pull down has DSD chosen then the software would convert PCM and output DSD. You can see on the display that it is out putting PCM and the front of the DAC confirms that it is out putting  PCM.  So how can this be a display issue?   Previously when I chose the right hand pull down as DSD the software without putting DSD and the front of my DAC would show DSD and the sample rate. 

It is display issue because the drop lists are not in sync for some reason. Although if the driver is acting up and refusing to switch mode, it could possibly still end up that way.

3 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I am rounding in an older version, because as I said in my original post that I cannot access the Internet  because suddenly  Windows will not let the administrator/default profile have Internet access.

Windows can be "fun". But you can anyway download the package on some other computer, copy it to USB memory stick and then install it from there, even without internet access.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is display issue because the drop lists are not in sync for some reason.

Windows can be "fun". But you can anyway download the package on some other computer, copy it to USB memory stick and then install it from there, even without internet access.

If it is  playing DSD, wouldn't say DSD on the front of the HOLO spring?  You did before when I was playing DSD files

I will re-install HQ player. 

Do I need to worry that I have an older version of Windows 10? 

44 minutes ago, drjimwillie said:

If it is  playing DSD, wouldn't say DSD on the front of the HOLO spring?  You did before when I was playing DSD files

I will re-install HQ player. 

Do I need to worry that I have an older version of Windows 10? 

Do you have a direct USB connection between your HQPlayer PC and your Holo Spring DAC?  Or do you have a DDC like Singxer SU-1 in between to drive I2S into the Holo?

I use a PC -> SU-1 -> Holo Spring setup, and some time ago I briefly got very similar symptoms where the Spring front panel would not display any DSD setting when sent a DSD stream of any bitrate.  It was ultimately determined to be a loose HDMI cable connection between the SU-1 and Holo Spring.  Once that was straightened out the Holo Spring could display and play up to DSD512 again.

An older version of Windows 10 should not matter.  You may want to consider temporarily bypassing AO in your PC to see if that makes any difference.

3 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Do you have a direct USB connection between your HQPlayer PC and your Holo Spring DAC?  Or do you have a DDC like Singxer SU-1 in between to drive I2S into the Holo?

I use a PC -> SU-1 -> Holo Spring setup, and some time ago I briefly got very similar symptoms where the Spring front panel would not display any DSD setting when sent a DSD stream of any bitrate.  It was ultimately determined to be a loose HDMI cable connection between the SU-1 and Holo Spring.  Once that was straightened out the Holo Spring could display and play up to DSD512 again.

An older version of Windows 10 should not matter.  You may want to consider temporarily bypassing AO in your PC to see if that makes any difference.

I go from the PC to an ISO-Regen & LPS-1 to the DAC. 

I had the issue before I installed the ISO-Regen. 

I have never installed an update to HQPlayer. Can I get some pointers, please?  I am running Windows 10 pro. Also  I am going to have to install HQ player from a thumb drive. 

1.   Update my HQplayer activation code  on website. 

2.   Copy update on the thumb drive from website  

3.  Take pictures of all settings windows   

4.  Use windows UnInstaller to uninstall HQ player. 

What do I do next?  Where do I copy the update?  Will the update create a new directory?   Do I need to save the old HQ player somehow?  

Thank you

Bill

Just uninstall from Signalyst folder (uninstall.exe) and then install from USB drive (it will default to Program Files/Signalyst).  Settings should come over, but take pic if you need.  Then point registration to the new registration xml you created

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

Just uninstall from Signalyst folder (uninstall.exe) and then install from USB drive (it will default to Program Files/Signalyst).

Uninstaller can be found from Start-menu in HQPlayer Desktop group. It is easy to find by opening Start-menu and then just typing "HQPlayer".

39 minutes ago, Miska said:

Uninstaller can be found from Start-menu in HQPlayer Desktop group. It is easy to find by opening Start-menu and then just typing "HQPlayer".

I use AO's HQPlayer shell so I don't use any start menu items.  I was simply telling the user where it is located in explorer.  But yes, you are more right.  :)

If you generated a new key (same name and email as you used in the past, along with old key number) then your old key info must have been correct.  No need to open any file, just register the new HQPlayer and point it to the new XML file.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

If running windows is there any difference between running the uninstall executable from Signalyst folder versus just using the "uninstall" function in Windows' Control panel?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

Can’t believe Nvidia just released the Volta Titan V and begin for sale immediately.

Guess HQplayer now can become more powerful. Meanwhile, I feel a bit sad I bought the Titan Xp too soon.:(

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

32 minutes ago, louisxiawei said:

Can’t believe Nvidia just released the Volta Titan V and begin for sale immediately.

Guess HQplayer now can become more powerful. Meanwhile, I feel a bit sad I bought the Titan Xp too soon.:(

It's $3K! And you're sad?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's