IGNORED

HQ Player

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

I've reported this issue (display showing last PCM filter pick, not current SDM picks) many times, although always correct sample or bit rate.  I assumed it was just a display issue.

I agree, I have seen this behavior many times as well.  Seems to happen after HQplayer cant find the DAC. Subsequent restarts can be unpredictable.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

I've reported this issue (display showing last PCM filter pick, not current SDM picks) many times, although always correct sample or bit rate.  I assumed it was just a display issue.

It is a display issue, but I need to be able to reproduce it in order to fix it. Otherwise it is really hard...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Quadman said:

When he hit play in roon with box 4 set at SDM, and filters at minringFir, NS9 as pictured above this is what Roons signal path shows.  BTW this PC has been rebooted 3 times and the same happens each time. (Main screen shows exactly as pictured above).  While I had the PC this behavior never occurred, all was correct.

JCroon path.JPG

This looks completely fine, I don't see anything wrong with that one. Looks like output is PCM in this case.

Ultimately check what the Format-line int HQPlayer main window shows as output rate.

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

It is a display issue, but I need to be able to reproduce it in order to fix it. Otherwise it is really hard...

I've seen it when I go from SDM to Auto and start playing PCM.  HQPlayer and Roon at this point still shows the SDM filter values even though PCM is the end result.

I don't think I've seen it when setting the right drop down from PCM to SDM or vice versa.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

41 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I've seen it when I go from SDM to Auto and start playing PCM.  HQPlayer and Roon at this point still shows the SDM filter values even though PCM is the end result.

I don't think I've seen it when setting the right drop down from PCM to SDM or vice versa.

Yeah, when output mode is "Auto" instead of specific "PCM" or "SDM", then it'll automatically change between the two and the other selections should be disabled and are just bogus (don't apply). Roon should get correct information as long it asks it every time the track changes.

This is side effect of introducing auto-switching output mode.

Yes, it is evident during "auto" and is why I never made a big deal about it.  The file plays fine, shows the correct sample or DSD rate, and it is consistent.  Plus, I  don't do PCM to DSD, so always knew the filter reporting during DSD playback was irrelevant anyway.  I guess I should have been more diligent, but glad you understand the issue and glad these HQPlayer customers were able to describe the issue better than I could.

6 hours ago, dean70 said:

The new API function ConfigurationLoad does not return a status. hqp-control localhost --configuration-load <path> shows

error: The remote host closed the connection
error: Server disconnected

HQPlayer settings have been applied though from the xml file.

Yes, that's normal. Sometimes hqp-control may manage to exit before HQPlayer drops the connection and sometimes it goes the other way around. This is because HQPlayer "reboots" internally with the new settings.

10 hours ago, dean70 said:

A .m3u8 file in a library path trips up the scan function. An second copy of the album is created as <album name>.m3u8 with no track entries (the .m3u8 file contains the track files also for the album).

It is good idea to keep playlist files in a separate folder. I have all playlists collected in one folder. This can then be named in suitable way in the library metadata.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:59 PM, Miska said:

I use boring, completely standard CAT6 compliant cables. For NAA use, do NOT use STP cables or anything that has metal shield on the connector that could connect grounds of the NAA device and the switch. Generally, only use UTP cables unless you have a specific cable and careful design for using STP.

Hi Miska,
I use Vovox Texture LAN cables between the switch and the NAA player (http://www.vovox.ch/en/home-audio-hifi/products/digital-cables/textura-ic-digital-lan/ )I have no idea whether they are STP or UTP but I use one of these isolators at both end: https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_isolator.html 
Is this good enough isolation even if the Vovox is an STP cable?

Another question is where to connect the ground on the switch?? It has a small screw at the back saying "switch gnd". It is a Dlink DSG-108 modified by SOtM for a better clock and powered by and external linear power supply (Uptone JS-2).

SOtM suggested I could connect ground to mains earth but I'm not sure why that would be good. Any advice? Thanks! 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

1 minute ago, zoltan said:

Another question is where to connect the ground on the switch?? It has a small screw at the back saying "switch gnd". It is a Dlink DSG-108 modified by SOtM for a better clock and powered by and external linear power supply (Uptone JS-2).

SOtM suggested I could connect ground to mains earth but I'm not sure why that would be good. Any advice? Thanks! 

Search and find the thread on improving the SOtM SMS-200 and the one on AC mains isolation for a lot of info on leakage currents through SMPS and linear supplies for switches.  Read the stuff written by @JohnSwenson about it.  All good!

3 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Search and find the thread on improving the SOtM SMS-200 and the one on AC mains isolation for a lot of info on leakage currents through SMPS and linear supplies for switches.  Read the stuff written by @JohnSwenson about it.  All good!

Thanks, I will. But if you remember what he said about where to connect the metal box of the switch (if anywhere) you could tell me.

2 minutes ago, zoltan said:

Thanks, I will. But if you remember what he said about where to connect the metal box of the switch (if anywhere) you could tell me.

I don't remember exactly so don't want to mislead you.  The key is if that screw on the case is connected internally to the DC NEG - I'm not sure if it is.  

Anyway, this is the HQP thread!

19 minutes ago, zoltan said:

Hi Miska,
I use Vovox Texture LAN cables between the switch and the NAA player (http://www.vovox.ch/en/home-audio-hifi/products/digital-cables/textura-ic-digital-lan/ )I have no idea whether they are STP or UTP but I use one of these isolators at both end: https://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/pcaudio/lan_isolator.html 
Is this good enough isolation even if the Vovox is an STP cable?

Those are STP cables based on the description and looks. Also the isolator seems to use STP. Using multimeter's ohm meter you can check whether the metal shields at both sides of the isolator are connected.

This one looks floating and no such screw visible and by default is floating because it has wallwart PSU:

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dgs-108-8-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch

But if it has grounding screw, you could connect it to same earth where wall socket protective earths are connected. But since this is not so straightforward to do, I would say better way to deal with grounding would be to use switch with built-in PSU and earthed IEC power connector (3-pin).

33 minutes ago, Miska said:

This one looks floating and no such screw visible and by default is floating because it has wallwart PSU:

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dgs-108-8-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch

Thank you for your answer Miska! It's actually this one:

http://us.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/8-port-unmanaged-gigabit-switch/ with ground screw at the back.

I know how to connect to protective earth safely, I will give it a try. 
Sorry for the off-topic in HQPlayer thread.

48 minutes ago, zoltan said:

Thank you for your answer Miska! It's actually this one:

http://us.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/8-port-unmanaged-gigabit-switch/ with ground screw at the back.

I know how to connect to protective earth safely, I will give it a try. 
Sorry for the off-topic in HQPlayer thread.

This discussion would fit better in the NAA thread in networking area.

Usually they have a grounding screw in equipment designed to fit 19" rack mounting, when there's a floating wallwart PSU.

@Miska I notice on your Facebook page that version 3.19.1  "also cleans up the reported status information towards control applications".  When playing native DSD files and upconverting to DSD512  I am still seeing Roon report the filter in the signal path.  As I understand it, when playing DSD only the integrator and modulator matters right?  If so, then should the filter be reported in Roon?

image.thumb.png.d591fbc472efc1e457d175ca90b7ac82.png

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

@Miska in 3.19.x it's possible to import different versions of library.xml - e.g. library_rock, library_jazz, library_classical.

How does internal management take place? Each library is renamed library.xml on-the-fly?

Is the latest opened library going to show next once HQP is restarted?

Is library import accessible through hqp-control?

If yes to previous question, where do libraries have to reside on HD to make them accessible to HQPDcontrol? In HQPlayer hidden directory? It should be not too difficult to sync-up to different libraries... so we don't mix Metallica with Mozart! 9_9 

3 hours ago, bibo01 said:

@Miska in 3.19.x it's possible to import different versions of library.xml - e.g. library_rock, library_jazz, library_classical.

Yes it is possible.

How does internal management take place? Each library is renamed library.xml on-the-fly?

Library is loaded and also saved as library.xml

Is the latest opened library going to show next once HQP is restarted?

Yes...

Is library import accessible through hqp-control?

No, not at the moment, but it can be added if it's needed. Possibly without the saving functionality, like the settings file loading now is. Only saved if explicitly done through the GUI.

If yes to previous question, where do libraries have to reside on HD to make them accessible to HQPDcontrol?

In the same place where settings.xml and library.xml are. The load function only takes file name, but not path, on purpose... So those files need to be in a specific place.

6 hours ago, tboooe said:

@Miska I notice on your Facebook page that version 3.19.1  "also cleans up the reported status information towards control applications".  When playing native DSD files and upconverting to DSD512  I am still seeing Roon report the filter in the signal path.  As I understand it, when playing DSD only the integrator and modulator matters right?  If so, then should the filter be reported in Roon?

image.thumb.png.d591fbc472efc1e457d175ca90b7ac82.png

This works as before if you have output mode set to "SDM" or "PCM". The cleanup only applies to case where output mode is set to "Auto" in which case it is not possible to display meaningful settings in the main window because output mode may be switched between SDM and PCM during the play.

When output mode is fixed, those display items are not changed as playlist proceeds, even if it would have mixed DSD and PCM content. Display from HQPlayer Embedded may look a bit nicer in this case.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes it is possible.

Library is loaded and also saved as library.xml

Yes...

No, not at the moment, but it can be added if it's needed. Possibly without the saving functionality, like the settings file loading now is. Only saved if explicitly done through the GUI.

In the same place where settings.xml and library.xml are. The load function only takes file name, but not path, on purpose... So those files need to be in a specific place.

Thanks for your reply.

I think that implementation in hqp-control for both setting and library would be useful, even without saving functionality.