IGNORED

HQ Player

On 1/17/2024 at 11:42 PM, Miska said:

Or a network endpoint not based on Mac. Such as Raspberry Pi4. This overcomes the Mac / DoP limitation while keeping HQPlayer on a Mac.

It works! Got native DSD512! Installation image on RPi4 was fast easy and absolutely unclear:) However, it appeared in the network and in the list of NAA devices. Next step PC with Ubuntu. Decided to go for 1024, as soon 512 already reached:)

Do I need to make any kind of setting or tuning for NAA? Do I need to check the level of load of Pi4? It is slightly warm. 

Mac Mini M1 Pro Ubuntu-> Roon -> HQPlayer -> Raspberry Pi 4 NAA -> T+A DAC 200 -> Hegel H590 -> HECO The New Statement Canton Reference 2

19 minutes ago, sskom said:

Do I need to make any kind of setting or tuning for NAA? Do I need to check the level of load of Pi4? It is slightly warm.

No. Load is negligible even on less performant mini computers than Pi4.

NAA doesn't do any processing on incoming data. It acts only as FIFO buffer between network and audio interfaces.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

As I understand combo of light filters and modulators gave the possibility to play Native DSD1024 from Mac Mini M2 Pro 10 core...
Or did I miss something?!

Знімок екрана 2024-01-19 о 15.10.10.png

20240119_151121.jpg

Mac Mini M1 Pro Ubuntu-> Roon -> HQPlayer -> Raspberry Pi 4 NAA -> T+A DAC 200 -> Hegel H590 -> HECO The New Statement Canton Reference 2

19 minutes ago, sskom said:

combo of light filters and modulators gave the possibility to play Native DSD1024

... but most probably not with an EC modulator.
The usual goal is not a number like 1024, but to get the best possible sound from a given HW configuration. EC modulators are generally taken as base to reach this goal. EC-light modulator was developed to reach the goal on less performant systems.

Compare sound of ASDM7EC-super (or -light) 512+ fs or ASDM7EC-super (or -light) at DSD512 against ASDM7 at DSD1024 and choose that one which you like more. User preferences are individual, it's about your enjoyment, thus you may like more ASDM7 at DSD1024.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
3 minutes ago, bogi said:

... but most probably not with an EC modulator.

Yes, not EC, and even with them Mac mini stops from time to time. But I think now about M1 Ultra again. If it is twice as powerful as mine M2 Pro maybe it gives all I need to get 1024 and all possible combinations of filters and modulators and not to fight with PC and Ubuntu? 

I am not a Mac user but reports about DSD1024 are coming from other architectures. Others may help you more on that topic.

@Miska

Re Client:

My main whish for Client (on Mac)…

Currently, in Album View, when you click on an Album Cover, the Album gets loaded into HQP and starts playing (album transport).
I‘d love to be able to click on an Album -> Album content (tracks) get displayed -> I can select to add either the album or a track into the „currently playing“ queue (playlist transport) or to play the entire album (album transport).
In short: I‘d love an album view in Client with the very same operation options like HQPDcontrol.

_

Assuming a revealing back end then what is more important - Hqplayer or the DAC? Given you can buy a reasonable dsd512 DAC for $300 then is configuring a dsd512 capable hqplayer more beneficial than spending $2000 on a better quality DAC? What comes first, a good quality DAC or dsd512 capable hqplayer system. I've found a rtx4070 and 5ghz CPU is good for dsd1024. Rtx4060ti for dsd512. The rtx5060 is expected to have significantly  more ram than the 4060 8gb and should be good for dsd512.

9 minutes ago, Triplefun said:

Assuming a revealing back end then what is more important - Hqplayer or the DAC? Given you can buy a reasonable dsd512 DAC for $300 then is configuring a dsd512 capable hqplayer more beneficial than spending $2000 on a better quality DAC? What comes first, a good quality DAC or dsd512 capable hqplayer system. I've found a rtx4070 and 5ghz CPU is good for dsd1024. Rtx4060ti for dsd512. The rtx5060 is expected to have significantly  more ram than the 4060 8gb and should be good for dsd512.

Both dac and hqplayer are just as important, but my priority will be setting up a system around hqplayer because just about any dac you plan to get will benefit tremendously from hqplayer and it does not even have to be a dsd capable dac. Hqplayer managed to make my chord mojo 2 and a $200 Cayin RU6 sings with pcm upsampling!!!

My 13600k no overclocking, is more than capable to do dsd512 

Depending on the dac you get, you may or may not need to have a system capable of dsd512, let alone 1024.

After months of trial back and forth, I have now gone back to dsd256 with my ifi idsd pro dac and much prefer it than dsd512.

a few of my friends who own a Holo Spring 3 and Holo May also prefer dsd256

3 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

After months of trial back and forth, I have now gone back to dsd256 with my ifi idsd pro dac and much prefer it than dsd512.

a few of my friends who own a Holo Spring 3 and Holo May also prefer dsd256

That's now also my case with SMSL D300. Particularly DACs based on DAC chips with direct DSD, which were not developed specially for DSD, may have sweet spot on DSD256. Some DAC chips from ESS and AKM allow DSD1024 input but that's without direct DSD path. Attempting DSD1024 makes sense in the case of suitable discrete DSD DAC implementations with bitperfect (direct DSD) processing path.

I've been meaning to say this for several years now: I'd much prefer a slider for volume control. 😇

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 1/19/2024 at 2:40 PM, sskom said:

Yes, not EC, and even with them Mac mini stops from time to time. But I think now about M1 Ultra again. If it is twice as powerful as mine M2 Pro maybe it gives all I need to get 1024 and all possible combinations of filters and modulators and not to fight with PC and Ubuntu? 

If you accept to use the lightest modulators (AHM5EC5L and AHM7EC5L), you can play DSD1024 on a Mac Mini M1 2020. See here:

Screenshot2024-01-16at09_19_29.thumb.png.a8ff926f64ad55eb3fa590b8b4248497.png

Hi there, I am dipping my toes into HQPlayer.  I just downloaded the trial version, I have the first few songs being played via HQ on windows on Notebook PC,  controled via Roon (Roon Core/Server is on my synology NAS) to Holo Red -> Serene KTE -> May KTE in NOS.   I'm exploring if I like HQplayer and would consider getting high powered dedicated PC to run both HQPlayer/Roon Server as I run convolution with some minor parametric EQ tweaks (which are tasking my NAS Roon Server but not gapping out yet).    

A couple questions: 

-Has anyone been successful upsampling to 1.53 via Holo Red? Appears to stop at 768K....

-I will go back into this very large thread, but any guidance to some good standard settings/filters I should try,  that would give me a good expereince/test drive.   Currently I am upsampling PCM to 768K (via settings below).

-Any other guidance / suggestions for a newbie like me is appreciated.  i want to give this a good go if it can up the audio expereince another level (which I heard it can!)   

-BTW, i am locking my voume at -2.0 db and controling volume via Serene, i assume this is best pracitce for thos who dont; want digital volume?   

Thanks any/all in advance!   

image.png.334aea0e89b8e301135020fa89b69db1.png

image.png.158397a0dabaf85c6b2333a894b8d0f4.png

HQP via Roon through Holo Red (Stock OS) -> Holo May KTE -> Holo Serene KTE -> Ayre VX-5 Twenty -> Dynaudio Heritage Special.  Puritan PSM156.    

1 hour ago, blackhawk579 said:

-BTW, i am locking my voume at -2.0 db and controling volume via Serene, i assume this is best pracitce for thos who dont; want digital volume?

-2dB is OK for most cases but -3dB would give better guarantee that HQPlayer's soft knee limiter will not come into action when upsampling source content mastered up to 0dB.

48 minutes ago, blackhawk579 said:

DSD256 at stock settings has me pinned to my seat.

Then stay with DSD upsampling ...

1 hour ago, blackhawk579 said:

any guidance to some good standard settings/filters I should try

Try ASDM7EC-super 512+ fs, ASDM7EC-light 512+ fs, and ASDM7EC-super modulators.
You can try also ASDM5 variants of the above.

The default oversampling filters you have set are those which are recommended for start since they are very universal. It depends on music genre you like most and your personal preferences which filters could fit best for you. Find some hints in the filter table in HQPlayer manual (installed together with application).

@blackhawk579

"-BTW, i am locking my voume at -2.0 db and controling volume via Serene, i assume this is best pracitce for thos who dont; want digital volume?"

You also mentioned you run convolution so depending on your convolution, you will likely need more headroom to avoid clipping.

I also use audiolense for convolution and set max volume at -6db and some of the metal/rock/pop would still clip occasionally 

"DSD256 at stock settings has me pinned to my seat.   😍"

Upgrading your server so you have enough processing power will give you more options - to try DSD512 and DSD1024. Just keep in mind there is no guarantee higher rates like DSD512 or DSD1024 will be an upgrade to the sound quality. It could very well be down to personal preference.

I know quite a few folks with Spring 3 and May 3 that after trying back and forth, had gone back to DSD256 and never look back. I don't even think Miska uses DSD1024. I noted the same with DSD256 being my favorite for my IFI pro IDSD dac after spending months comparing 256 VS 512. 

I should be getting my Cyan 2 next week and I will definitely give 1024 and 512 a try again but I wouldn't be surprised I may still ending up liking 256... 

Hi folks, call me silly but I have just discovered that with the webviewer you can have both client qobuz stream and your local library content on your play queue so you can switch back and forth!!!!! 

If you only use the client app, I think you can only choose either qobuz stream or library, switching from library to qobuz or vice versa will cause the program to stop.

i can now have both qobuz stream and local play queue controlled by web viewer at the same time!!!

this will come in handy if I am to compare the same track from my local library vs qobuz or even compare Qobuz played through client app with using jplay iOS upnp!!!!!

See from the picture I am streaming qobuz classical music and can go to webviewer to add Alice in Chain and click on the tracks and play or I can switch back to qobuz for the classical stuff it will just go back to play the last track from the beginning 

IMG_8882.png