IGNORED

HQ Player

Has anyone with a windows based PC (win 10 or 11) gotten HQP to play without dropouts DSD1024 with EC5v2 or EC7v2 modulators?  I know more than a few have done this within Ubuntu but I can't remember anyone doing it with windows.  Just curious.

Right now I run a 12900KS, MSI pro A, DDR4,wifi MB, and 3090 GPU.  I can run at default MB bios settings except memory set to XMP1, dsd1024 with DSDEC5 modulator and ASDMEC5 modulator.  OC'ing fairly aggressively I still cannot achieve DSD5ECv2 even with 16/44 material.  Assuming HQP is not as friendly within windows for high rate up sampling as it is in Ubuntu with the Avx2 version of HQP.

I am just testing in windows now due to its better monitoring apps compared to ubuntu's.  One other question since I changed my CPU, MB and ram when I go back to ubuntu is it okay to use the version I used with my 11900K and asus mb.  Or like windows (to avoid driver incompatibility) should I do a clean install of ubuntu 22.04 for the new 12900KS and MSI MB.

31 minutes ago, Quadman said:

Right now I run a 12900KS, MSI pro A, DDR4,wifi MB, and 3090 GPU.  I can run at default MB bios settings except memory set to XMP1, dsd1024 with DSDEC5 modulator and ASDMEC5 modulator.  OC'ing fairly aggressively I still cannot achieve DSD5ECv2 even with 16/44 material.  Assuming HQP is not as friendly within windows for high rate up sampling as it is in Ubuntu with the Avx2 version of HQP.

If you have "Multicore DSP" set to checked it shouldn't be horribly different apart from what OS puts into the play. Windows versions are always "AVX2" builds.

31 minutes ago, Quadman said:

I am just testing in windows now due to its better monitoring apps compared to ubuntu's.  One other question since I changed my CPU, MB and ram when I go back to ubuntu is it okay to use the version I used with my 11900K and asus mb.  Or like windows (to avoid driver incompatibility) should I do a clean install of ubuntu 22.04 for the new 12900KS and MSI MB.

Linux is easier than Windows in this respect. If you change your hardware, you don't need to reinstall, it should move over pretty plug and play. As long as it is Ubuntu 22.04 it should be fine, just install all the regular updates if it has been unused for a while.

I have installations where initial install was something like Ubuntu 12.04 that got gradually updated both hardware and software up to latest 22.04. Not running on totally different computer than initially.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you have "Multicore DSP" set to checked it shouldn't be horribly different apart from what OS puts into the play. Windows versions are always "AVX2" builds.

Yes I do, even tried grey but checked seems better.  One thing, I have roon installed on the same machine, maybe moving to a nuc or other roon only device would be beneficial.

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

Linux is easier than Windows in this respect. If you change your hardware, you don't need to reinstall,

Ah thank you, I assumed this but you know how that can go when we assume.  Think I'll move it back tomorrow.  Its only been 8 days since I last used and updated it.

15 minutes ago, ericuco said:

ran both HQP Desktop and Roon Core on same Ubuntu machine for years, but finally moved Roon off to a used Intel NUC (i3) I got off eBay for $150

Eric, how do you connect the roon core to the hqp machine?  I don't have Ethernet.  But thinking that is probably the way to go and I remember you told me about this in the past.

2 minutes ago, Quadman said:

Eric, how do you connect the roon core to the hqp machine?  I don't have Ethernet.  But thinking that is probably the way to go and I remember you told me about this in the past.

Everything is connected via home network using combination of Ethernet (copper) and fiber. Both Roon and HQP work very well over home network. I have HQP Desktop on one computer, Roon Core on another, HQP NAA on yet another computer and iPad to control Roon. It just works.

I can you setup a network if you want, fairly inexpensive to do so, at least to get started. 

1 hour ago, eboy said:

@Miskarecommend akm chip on the RME but there is not huge objective differences between akm and ess in this test https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/rme-adi-2-dac-fs-akm-versus-ess-measurements-dac-preamp-headamp.35377/

I would think, @miska recommends the AKMs for a specific task it does different from ESS and not for the worst / better measurements.

If you read a bit more in the referenced thread you may understand the relation a bit bitter.

2 hours ago, eboy said:

@Miskarecommend akm chip on the RME but there is not huge objective differences between akm and ess in this 

AKM has DSD Direct mode where the DAC just feeds the provided DSD data to the D/A conversion section. ADI-2 has support for this mode.

However, ESS doesn't have such option. It will always process both PCM and DSD through it's DSP. DSD gets less processing though (bypasses oversampling), but there's no direct path available.

These two brands are pretty different in terms of implementation too.

@Miska, are your measurements of various DACs collected somewhere?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 11/30/2022 at 5:10 PM, Quadman said:

Has anyone with a windows based PC (win 10 or 11) gotten HQP to play without dropouts DSD1024 with EC5v2 or EC7v2 modulators?  I know more than a few have done this within Ubuntu but I can't remember anyone doing it with windows.  Just curious.

I cannot with 139k only no external gpu on W11. 

This hitting the spot though.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 002231.png

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

7 hours ago, Quadman said:

Interesting, and @IgorSki can do it with a 12900KS, but in ubuntu, w a NAA and I think roonserver on a separate device and HQP embedded.  I spent a lot of time with the Gauss hirez filters (1024 no ec) in windows ip and lp both sound wonderful.

Hello my name is John and I am an audioholic............. (now more so than ever)

Yesterday I moved my roon core from windows back to ubuntu 22.04, loaded Jussi's new .80 kernel and also installed his newest 4.20.2 HQPlayer desktop.  My MSI mb is still mostly at stock settings (XMP1 is active and base clock is set to 100.25 mainly so frequencies in HWinfo64 would read multiples of whole numbers).  In HQP desktop settings I turned off 48K and adaptive rate output so everything up samples to DSD1024 x44.1.  Buffer was set to 100ms as well.  MCDSP checked and Cuda checked.  Now my 12900KS and 3090 GPU were going to try and play 1024 x44.1 w DSD5ECv2 modulator. 

Much to my surprise my system played 5ECv2 modulator all night long with maybe 3 dropouts over 8 1/2 hours.  I tried quite a few filters PS xtr shrt mp 2s, gauss, gauss long, hi res lp/mp and sources rates up to 24/96 with the above mentioned dropouts.   Now anyone who has closely followed my comments on this thread, the Holo May thread and best CPU for HQP would know that I have been singing the praises of DSD1024 for the last 10 months.  Telling everyone that is where the magic happens.  Well I heard 1024x44.1 with DSD5ECv2 last night for 8.5 hours and it is another level above 1024 no EC, which is no slouch itself.  (I tried EC7v2 as well dropouts every 30 seconds)

Sorry, I thought you were talking about 7EC. 

I can do 1024x48 DSD5EC just not ASDM5EC or any 7EC's.

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

@Miska, Thanks a lot. In HQP OS release 4.33.3 track switches problem seem to be solved.

Still remain communication problem with client (I am using HQPDcontrol v. 6.5.8) causing a block.  At this time I found some messages in hqplayerd.log like this:
# 2022/12/04 00:00:02 clControlThread::ParseMsg(): std::exception

Release 4.32.5 runs very well.

35 minutes ago, mario4mori said:

Still remain communication problem with client (I am using HQPDcontrol v. 6.5.8) causing a block.  At this time I found some messages in hqplayerd.log like this:

When this happens, does HQPlayer web interface complain about lack of internet connection, or does the license info on /about page show up as Trial?

On 12/2/2022 at 1:52 PM, Miska said:

AKM has DSD Direct mode where the DAC just feeds the provided DSD data to the D/A conversion section. ADI-2 has support for this mode.

However, ESS doesn't have such option. It will always process both PCM and DSD through it's DSP. DSD gets less processing though (bypasses oversampling), but there's no direct path available.

These two brands are pretty different in terms of implementation too.

thanks