IGNORED

HQ Player

For the first time I've got blue death on win10 during playback through HQPlayer so after the computer rebooted I could launch the program all right but nothing will play back. All the settings are the same as before. Tried both dsd and pcm with various filters, to no avail. I hit the play button and nothing starts. I play files and I never stream. Tried with both dsd and pcm files. I'm dumbfounded. Memory usage is low, I keep monitor it. Any ideas?

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound

1 hour ago, Fredc said:

Looking for advice on how to have Amazon Music stream fed into HQPlayer desktop. I tried Virtual Audio Cable but can't get the HQPlayer side working.

how I solved issues :

installed Blackhole (free) and followed installation instructions by the book

stopped worrying that HQP keeps returning preferences to default

found out that selecting audio.default/48000/2 IS NOT ENOUGH you have to click (obvious?) Enter next

allows me to input in HQP anything available through a browser as if it was going through the computer speakers

in case of IINA I use for movies I selected Blackhole as the the output in IINA preferences

BTW @Miska, is there a way to get rid of the orange light in the right upper corner when watching movies with Blackhole/HQP combo for audio ?

19 hours ago, Miska said:

When this happens, does HQPlayer web interface complain about lack of internet connection, or does the license info on /about page show up as Trial?

@MiskaYes for license info, showed up as Trial. Unfortunately, despite many attempts, I can no longer reproduce the block condition on the client (HQPDcontrol on Android tablet) but frequently slight delays are noticed when switching from track to another.

3 hours ago, mario4mori said:

@MiskaYes for license info, showed up as Trial.

So it will stop working after 30 minutes of use and needs to be restarted for another 30 minutes.

3 hours ago, mario4mori said:

but frequently slight delays are noticed when switching from track to another.

That is normal, the amount depends on the situation and your settings. If there's no cached initialization, then it may take quite a bit longer if the source format changes.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

So it will stop working after 30 minutes of use and needs to be restarted for another 30 minutes.

Hi Jussi,

I just received my two USB dongles for licensing. So after plugin to my new 13900K computer, the status still showed trial while the fingerprint changed on my embedded . Is this normal? 

8 hours ago, pis99 said:

I just received my two USB dongles for licensing. So after plugin to my new 13900K computer, the status still showed trial while the fingerprint changed on my embedded . Is this normal? 

Did you install the corresponding license key file already? Each dongle has associated license key file that has been emailed to you together with shipping information. Also the dongles should be marked accordingly on the packaging.

12 hours ago, eboy said:

@Miskais this correct settings/display?

DSC_0257.thumb.JPG.17508fb8f1ebc0d41884d12ece4af9dd.JPGDSC_0258.thumb.JPG.efa4377a89e68457d1a108b799f71854.JPG

Yes, looks correct. Those 50/150 kHz values correspond to the AK4490 chip model. AK4493 has different frequencies. Technically you get best result setting it to 50 kHz, but you can make final choice by listening. The difference should be very small at DSD256 rate (the frequency is 4x higher for DSD256, those frequencies shown correspond to DSD64 rate)

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Did you install the corresponding license key file already? Each dongle has associated license key file that has been emailed to you together with shipping information. Also the dongles should be marked accordingly on the packaging.

Thank you Jussi, I diged out the email and indeed there were key files for each dongle. Everything looks good now.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, looks correct. Those 50/150 kHz values correspond to the AK4490 chip model. AK4493 has different frequencies. Technically you get best result setting it to 50 kHz, but you can make final choice by listening. The difference should be very small at DSD256 rate (the frequency is 4x higher for DSD256, those frequencies shown correspond to DSD64 rate)

thanks

38 minutes ago, eboy said:

@Miskadoes hqplayer cuda offload support LHR (Lite Hash Rate) gpu? Its not working with specific algorithms, such as mining?

It should work. I don't have any LHR GPU at the moment, so I have not tested. But based on what I've found on the internet, CUDA should also LHR GPUs.

By the way, looking on magazine articles about new Nvidia GPUs. 4090 seems to be quite a beast, while 4080 is over 50% slower than 4090, which seems to be pretty strange decision for Nvidia. (it is not 50% cheaper)

1 hour ago, trcns said:

Did windows 2012R2 support discontinued?

Windows server editions have never been supported. It may work though, but I don't test it and it is not officially supported.

But if, for some reason, you want to use a server edition (why?), you need to use one that is based on the same base OS as Windows 10.

Generally, server editions are optimized for I/O bandwidth to operate as a file server, web server or database server. While desktop editions are optimized for latency/interactivity as necessary for audio/video playback, gaming or music/video production. These two have opposing optimizations. You can have either maximum bandwidth performance, or maximum interactivity performance, but not both.

19 hours ago, trcns said:

Did windows 2012R2 support discontinued?

Try 2019 datacenter evaluation. Works great in core (NAA) and UI (HQP).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/download-windows-server-2019

Also, as I hear, is much "leaner" than 2012. The DC edition is apparently really just barebones to host virtual machines on it (incl Linux ...). Yeah, there is slack but it can be easily reduced using AudiophileOptimizer (which adds precision timers, shuts off unwanted devices and services and uses other optimizations to improve latency of the OS like kernel streaming).

Also, ProcessLasso fixes my "latency" issues...as HQP runs in realtime mode.... ;-D 

11 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

Yeah, their is slack but it can be easily reduced using AudiophileOptimizer (which adds precision timers, shuts off unwanted devices and services and uses other optimizations to improve latency of the OS).

Be careful that you don't turn off services needed by HQPlayer through Windows APIs. Which makes HQPlayer performance suffer if not making some functionality fail entirely. Also note that I know Windows Server editions don't even come with some of the needed services installed, because they are multimedia related and not needed for server applications (database/web servers and such). By default, Windows 10 and Windows 11 ship with the necessary services enabled.

11 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

Also, ProcessLasso fixes my "latency" issues...as HQP runs in realtime mode.... ;-D 

That will just make your latency issues worse, because touching HQPlayer priority will disturb carefully designed thread priorities. There are some tens to few hundred threads in HQPlayer, each with carefully assigned priorities. These threads are created and destroyed several times during lifetime of HQPlayer process and handle important tasks such as audio output, DSP processing etc. When thread is created, it is assigned designed affinities and priorities. Adjusting HQPlayer process priority to realtime, will just run the GUI at such priority while the actual threads performing audio work may end up running at lower priority. In worst case it may cause system deadlock. GUI thread is the only thread that lives through the entire time HQPlayer process is running.

So do not touch HQPlayer priority, HQPlayer manages it's priority assignments itself. And HQPlayer will also reset any unwanted external priorities. So in best case your setting has no effect.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Be careful

;-) worst for a developer is to have customers not listening ;-)

my customers are not listening either ;-) to my great displeasure....

But there are two types of customers, the ones who get it, who push boundaries and use a tool in a way not originally anticipated to great success and then there are the others. Not saying I get it, but the person who designed my setup has a set of golden ears and gets it and the system is carefully tuned...

My HQP machine (a Dell Precision with i9-10900k and P2200) does DSD256 ASDM7EC2v2 with poly-sinc-short-mp (my fav filter) at ~10%cpu with 60 celsius core and 70 celsius package at ~63watts and GPU uses 30watts at 50 celsius. So without comparison how load could or should be, this sounds like a reasonable utilization.

And then there are these people who have "listened" [sic] to linux and server 2019 and just say that Server 2019 sounds better ....

just because something "should" or "must" be in a certain way because a paper, the theory, the data, the science says so, is not something I can accept. After all our Math, the root of all science does not make sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert's_problems#Summary