IGNORED

Good Male Voices (Bariton or Tenor, or Both) for Speaker Auditioning

I have plenty of well recorded female singers to use when auditioning speakers (I plan to upgrade in the new year) but not as much for good male vocalists who are well recorded. Who would you recommend? I am primarily interested in those singers rooted in American styles of popular and folk music (e.g. blues, jazz, gospel, country, etc.).

George Straight, John Denver, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Michal Martin Murphy, Al Stewart, John Whetton (Asia, a little out of what you asked for...), Jay Ungar, John Sebastian, Don McLean, Dan Seals, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, and of course Johnny Cash. Just off the top of my head. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

There is an album that came out in about 2007 on Sunnyside called "Moss," by the group of the same name. The singers are Peter Eldridge, Theo Bleckmann, Luciana Souza, Kate McGarry, and Lauren Kinhan.

Anything by New York Voices.

The iconic J.D. Crowe & the New South album from 1976 features Tony Rice and Ricky Skaggs at the height of their powers.

There is some great ensemble singing on the first five Poco albums, up to and including "A Good Feelin' to Know."

The first Little Feat album after Lowell George's death, "Let It Roll," features some great singing by Craig Fuller (ex-Pure Prairie League).

"Abandoned Luncheonette."

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Blind Boys Go Tell It On The Mountain.jpg

https://realworldrecords.com/release/29/go-tell-it-on-the-mountain/

Fabulous. One of my all time favorite recordings. Many fine male guest vocalists along with the Blind Boys themselves, including Tom Waits and Aaron Neville.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

George Jones.

IMHO one of the very best male singers of the last century. The tone, the inflection, the feel for the music.

Of course it helps if you like country music.

Only redbook available AFAIK.

Something like The Bradley Barns Sessions would work well.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star