IGNORED

Keith Jarret Suggestions

So, last night my Dad suggested that since I've only been married for 6 weeks, if my wife is home with the flu and a sinus infection I should not go to the Keith Jarrett concert at Carnegie Hall.

I've got the Koln Concerts. Curious which other recordings you all suggest?

Bremen Lausanne.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So, last night my Dad suggested that since I've only been married for 6 weeks, if my wife is home with the flu and a sinus infection I should not go to the Keith Jarrett concert at Carnegie Hall.

GO TO THE CONCERT! Chances to hear KJ are few and far between, this could be your only chance. Set your wife up perfectly, and go to the show.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Are you talking about the 30th anniversary concert at Carnegie Hall? I can't go but a workmate is flying into NY from Vancouver, BC to meet a cousin flying from Belgrade to see this....buy your dear wife as much chicken soup, tissues and Tylenol as may be required and go...!!!!!

Was in NY for his last solo concert and happily found that even when the concert was sold out the hall had "vision restricted" seats that can only be bought at the ticket counter...so behind a column, sort of, but still a great concert...I

GO TO THE CONCERT! Chances to hear KJ are few and far between, this could be your only chance. Set your wife up perfectly, and go to the show.

Unless you are starting to get symptoms of what your wife has, like a cough. In which case DON'T GO TO THE CONCERT!!

Yes, that's the concert. It's already passed, and I missed it. Some day I'll try to explain it to her -- "Imagine Pete Townshend put on a solo show . . . "

I only know his solo work. Where should I start with the trio?

Sorry to hear you missed the show, a pity.

With regards to his trio, Standards vol. 1 and 2 are a good way to start for his studio recordings.

If you prefer live, you have many good choices, e.g. Standards Live, Still Live, Whisper Not, and the recent Somewhere, which is even available as 24/96.

"Staircase" is one of my KJ favorites. Solo piano, but not improvised like most of his solo recordings.

Dave, who has been lucky enough to see Mr. Jarrett in person twice once in the 1990s at Alice Tully Hall and once a few years ago at Carnegie Hall

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 1 month later...

My favourite is Live at the Deerhead inn.With Paul Motian on drums instead of Jack Dejohnette.

track 2, Basin Street Blues is sublime,swingin, funny,deep,..real Jazz!

The Deerhead inn was the place were Jarrett played some of his first paid performances, and he clearly enjoys being back were it all begun.

Very Good analogue recording too, done by the Phill Woods 4tet drummer Bill Goodwin.

at-the-deer-head-inn.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yes that is a lovely album.

For solo I like Rio.

220px-Rio_%28Keith_Jarrett_album%29.jpg

The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek awarded the album 4½ stars stating "After one listen, it becomes obvious Rio is indeed very special. It puts on aural display Jarrett as a virtually boundless musician, whose on-the-spot, wide-ranging ideas are executed with astonishing immediacy and dexterity; this music is passionate, poetic (often songlike), and stands outside the confines of genre... since nothing approaching what is here actually exists in Jarrett's recorded catalog. Rio is therefore the new standard by which the pianist's future solo recordings will be judged, and perhaps also sets the bar for any other player who attempts the same".[2]
Live at the Deer Head Inn is a favorite of mine. Recorded live in the 90's at a place Keith used to work at when he was young. Paul Motian on drums.
  • 2 weeks later...

Dark Intervals is good.

Dark_Intervals.jpg

On ''Dark Intervals,'' he seems to have toughened up his idiom, and with profit. Parts of this record grow downright ominous in their cloudy obscurity. Yet the more lyrical moments still cut through like shafts of light. And with the age of postmodernist eclecticism full upon us, Mr. Jarrett has come to seem very much a prophet.

N.Y.Times