IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

Just downloaded, will listen tomorrow. But that cover art has got to go...

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 2 weeks later...
Today, it's the 4 orchestral suites (Ouvertures) by Masaaki Suzuki and the Bach Collegium Japan.

I'm adding one more version to my pile of interpretation of these wonderful compositions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19456[/ATTACH]

Excellent choice. Bought the sacd few years ago. A very docile reading though.

"Docile" is a rather fitting description for many of Suzuki's recordings and probably my only criticism to his otherwise great style.

I like his "docile" touch in the cantatas, which can otherwise sound a bit rough to my ears. On the other hand, I found that this same character made his B minor mass a bit dull. I'll tell you what I think of his overtures. By the way, ClassicsToday made this recording their reference one for the overtures.

[...] ClassicsToday made this recording their reference one for the overtures.

I personally like the textual clarity and unity of the Suzuki's performances. The parts feel like they are related and belong together, rather than free for all everybody doing their own thing. Same goes for his Brandenburg Concertos. By the way, Suzuki's second recording of Brandenburg Concertos was only available with this exact version of Orchestral Suites as a 3 disc package. These days with eclassical selling by the minute, it's a moot point. But back in the old days, you're forced to buy the suites again when the concertos first came out. Still mad about it... :)

I personally like the textual clarity and unity of the Suzuki's performances. The parts feel like they are related and belong together, rather than free for all everybody doing their own thing. Same goes for his Brandenburg Concertos. By the way, Suzuki's second recording of Brandenburg Concertos was only available with this exact version of Orchestral Suites as a 3 disc package. These days with eclassical selling by the minute, it's a moot point. But back in the old days, you're forced to buy the suites again when the concertos first came out. Still mad about it... :)

Thanks. By the way, since we are talking about textual clarity and the Brandenburg concertos, I recently bought the SHM-CD version of the Brandenburgs by Karajan almost by accident, because it was available second-hand at a very low price, and the BPO and find it very beautiful. The quality of playing is extremely high and the sonic quality surprisingly good; the combination of these two factors means that this recording brings out the polyphony in a way that I rarely (never?) encountered in other versions. Sorry for the OT.

Good to know that I'm in good company about Suzuki as I find his Bach interpretations very consistent that does not shout out for attention. It is very obvious that Suzuki calls the shots Prima donnas are put where they belong. Collected hist entire first 50 CDs of Bach cantatas and they are lovely...

Karajan is a great musician but his Brandenburg I find a little rushed.

I'll tell you what I think of his overtures.

I really like this recording. I am impressed by the quality of playing Suzuki gets from his Bach Collegium Japan in this album. I have rarely heard HIP orchestras play so precisely. His tempi are sometimes a bit fast, but that's OK. This version becomes my fast reference for these pieces, displacing Fasolis (though Fasolis' recording is very good too in my opinion); Savall's remains my slow reference. I should listen again to the Freiburger, whose version I got some ago but haven't played in a while, to hear how they situate themselves by comparison with Suzuki and Fasolis. Anyway, the real winner in this competition among interpretations is JS Bach; what a genius.

Any views on today's daily deal, Brahms' cello sonatas by Pontinen and Théden?[ATTACH=CONFIG]19568[/ATTACH]

Thanks for flagging, I just bought it. I'm still looking for my personal "reference" version on these works, and I don't have anything in highres yet. At $8 the snippets sounded tempting enough.

Any views on today's daily deal, Brahms' cello sonatas by Pontinen and Théden?

It's a solid performance, but Thedéen never rises to the inspiration of Piatigorsky (with Rubinstein, 1966). Piatigorsky plays with numerous subtle inflections that keep the music engaging and unpredictable. Thedéen is very even, with crescendos and diminuendos in broad arcs but almost no inflection from moment to moment.

Fanfare magazine critic Jerry Dubins also found Thedéen uninspired. His favorite recording of the sonatas is by Nancy Green and Frederick Moyer on the JRI label. I sampled it on Spotify. It's very slow, but has lots of personality, so it's definitely worth considering.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

It's a solid performance, but Thedéen never rises to the inspiration of Piatigorsky (with Rubinstein, 1966). Piatigorsky plays with numerous subtle inflections that keep the music engaging and unpredictable. Thedéen is very even, with crescendos and diminuendos in broad arcs but almost no inflection from moment to moment.

Fanfare magazine critic Jerry Dubins also found Thedéen uninspired. His favorite recording of the sonatas is by Nancy Green and Frederick Moyer on the JRI label. I sampled it on Spotify. It's very slow, but has lots of personality, so it's definitely worth considering.

Any download source for Piatigorsky?

I notice that the Sonata No 2 in F is going to be discussed as the work in the Building a Library section of BBC R3's CD Review this coming Saturday.

Interesting. The Swiss classical radio station SRF2 did a blind test with external experts some years ago for sonata no. 1, and I think the winner was Isserlis&/Hough, with Thedeen being a close 2nd.

Many thanks to Musicophile and Craighartley for your views. Finally, I did not get this recording because I already have quite a backlog of purchased music I haven't had time to listen to, got a remark at home that I am spending too much on music downloads, hesitated and then let the offer slip.

More out of curiosity I just listened to the latest Grieg piano concerto which is currently on offer by eclassical in 24/96, with Javier Perianes.

eClassical - Grieg: Piano Concerto & Lyric Pieces

To be fair, I didn't expect much, but I was really pleasantly surprised how good this recording was. Doesn't beat my reference version with Adnsnes, but thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

The Perianes is still discounted, and in the meantime my positive opinion of the interpretation was confirmed by both an Editor's Choice by Gramophone and a "Choc" by the French magazine Classica. I've just reviewed it on my blog:

Two new recordings of the Grieg Piano Concerto* | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

As I don't know how long this will stay discounted at e-classical, if you're interested, now may be the time to buy.

• 3 weeks later...
Today's daily deal is Suzuki's recording of Bach's Mass in B Minor -- $10.95 for 24/44.1. Any thoughts?

Personally, my preferred version is Herreweghe's third recording on Phi (see also here for my review: Can heaven be captured on disc? Bach’s b-minor mass BWV 232 | musicophilesblog – from Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms), but Suzuki does an excellent job on this one, and the b-minor mass is an absolut must have for any classical music collection.

See David Hurvitz review, who gives it a 10/10 on Classics Today, and Jens F. Laurson's review on SACD.net, which is a bit more nuanced, but also says that it "ranks among the handful of best recordings made" of the b-minor.

Suzuki's B minor Mass - Classics Today

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4831

Ah yes, and it was a Gramophone Award finalist in it's category.

In short, get out your credit card now :-)