IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

the best (complete) Daphnis recoding I know is a high-res download on the Boston Symphony website, Levine conducting. I'm not always a fan of Levine, but I love this performance. Excellent sound, too.

+1 for Levine/BSO. Their recording is also available as a SACD.

Playing now. It certainly has an impressive dynamic range, in the slow beginning you basically don't hear anything for the first two minutes if you don't crank up the volume. JRiver confirms this with a DR ranging from 13 to 19(!).

Nice DR! This makes me think that, while DR is a decreasing function of time in pop music, it seems to be an increasing one in classical music. Ravel hits 19, but Luigi Nono rises to 27 in his "Fragmente - Stille an Diotima" as played by the LaSalle quartet and recorded by DG.

Don't you find that if the volume is high enough to hear the soft parts, the loud parts are blaring?

I'm looking at the BSO site. For this album, they offer MP3, AIFF (Stereo), WMA (Stereo), and WMA (Surround). I assume if I get the WMA (Surround), I can use XLD to convert it into ALAC to play through a 2 channel system? (Or am I better off getting WMA (Stereo)?

Nice DR! This makes me think that, while DR is a decreasing function of time in pop music, it seems to be an increasing one in classical music. Ravel hits 19, but Luigi Nono rises to 27 in his "Fragmente - Stille an Diotima" as played by the LaSalle quartet and recorded by DG.

Well, I guess it is just part of the music itself to have a huge dynamic range, from a handful of violins to >100 musicians playing together. It is nice however if it is truly captured this way on recording.

However, if it becomes extreme like this, you actually understand why compression was invented in the first place. I cannot play this album without playing with the volume knob (or risked being thrown out of my apartment by enraged neighbors).

Don't you find that if the volume is high enough to hear the soft parts, the loud parts are blaring?

I've only so far listened to it via headphones, and there was no blaring.

I'm looking at the BSO site. For this album, they offer MP3, AIFF (Stereo), WMA (Stereo), and WMA (Surround). I assume if I get the WMA (Surround), I can use XLD to convert it into ALAC to play through a 2 channel system? (Or am I better off getting WMA (Stereo)?

I think you're referring here to the Levine recording Bob recommended, not the originally discussed e-classical Nezet-Séguin BIS recording.

Whether you can convert surround to two channel, no idea, probably not. I only bought one album so far from the Bostonians, and got in in AIFF.

You convinced me, sold! Thanks for taking a chance on the recording.

I just love these special offers. I probably wouldn't have spent the usual $15-16 on it given that it is not my core repertoire, but for less than 10 bucks I'm always happy to take a risk. This time it was well worth it.

I so far only have Rattle's old Birmingham recording on EMI, so I figured let's give it a try, reading these positive reviews, and being a general fan of Nezet.

Yannick Nézet-Séguin - Ravel, Daphnis et Chloe Suite No 2 Young French-Cana - The Independent

Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé Suite No 2 | CD review | Music | The Guardian

Downloading now, will report back when I have time to properly listen.

Please ignore these reviews by the way, I just noticed that both refer to an earlier recording of the Daphnis et Chloé SUITE (published on EMI) and not to the currently discussed BIS recording of the full ballet work. That said, it shows that Nezet has been toying around with this work for quite a while already.

For what it's worth, this is the only review I found (in German) of the new release:

http://www.klassik-heute.com/4daction/www_medien_einzeln?id=21388

They are slightly less enthusiastic than me on the interpretation (8/10), saying that he's excellent in the details but sometimes missing the big picture. The SQ gets a full (and well deserved 10/10).

This doesn't change my recommendation obviously that I personally find this recording hugely enjoyable.

When you use the past tense, does it mean he's not working with Rotterdam any more?

He is still with the Rotterdam Philharmonic and he has extended his appointment in Philadelphia.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Listening again to Nezet's Daphnis, this time via speakers. Confirming that the SQ is exceptional and the interpretation is very good as well.

I agree, a very enjoyable recording, certainly worth the $8.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Downloaded it last night and managed to find the time to listen to the whole thing (no mean feat these days!). Listened via headphones. I initially found the sound quality, especially on the strings, a bit murky, but I quickly got accustomed to it. (Mic-ing techniques? Hall? The orchestra? Who knows?) The dynamic range is HUGE! And with plenty of punch at the bottom end, too. It's an exciting interpretation, though it doesn't displace the old Munch (1955), Monteux, and Dutoit versions in that department. I've also got the Levine/BSO hi-res download, and I remember being very impressed with it as well, though it's been a while since I last listened to it. Still, this new one is definitely a keeper and one of the best releases so far this year.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Downloaded it last night and managed to find the time to listen to the whole thing (no mean feat these days!). Listened via headphones. I initially found the sound quality, especially on the strings, a bit murky, but I quickly got accustomed to it. (Mic-ing techniques? Hall? The orchestra? Who knows?) The dynamic range is HUGE! And with plenty of punch at the bottom end, too. It's an exciting interpretation, though it doesn't displace the old Munch (1955), Monteux, and Dutoit versions in that department. I've also got the Levine/BSO hi-res download, and I remember being very impressed with it as well, though it's been a while since I last listened to it. Still, this new one is definitely a keeper and one of the best releases so far this year.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting comparison. I'll need to look into some more versions of this and probably more Ravel orchestral works. I so far mainly focused on his piano works..

Today, last chance is to get Weber Overtures by Kantorow and Tapiola Sinfonietta. Excellent sound and enjoyable album. 9/9 on Classics Today and 4 ½ on allmusic.com. For 6EUR, c'mon.

4492889-origpic-6f1391.jpg

Take a look at the scopes. Huge dynamic range (example from song nr 4th).

04 - Der Freischutz, J277 - overture to the opera - Adagio - Molto vivace.flac_report.png

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Today, last chance is to get Weber Overtures by Kantorow and Tapiola Sinfonietta. Excellent sound and enjoyable album. 9/9 on Classics Today and 4 ½ on allmusic.com. For 6EUR, c'mon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17546[/ATTACH]

Take a look at the scopes. Huge dynamic range (example from song nr 4th).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17547[/ATTACH]

It is great to see that BIS keeps consistency in not compressing classical music. They need to be applauded for that.

Side note: Robert Von Bahr as usual a marketing genius:

[h=3]Very nicely played and recorded, but - in my view - rather boring music[/h]

It is great to see that BIS keeps consistency in not compressing classical music. They need to be applauded for that.

Side note: Robert Von Bahr as usual a marketing genius:

[h=3]Very nicely played and recorded, but - in my view - rather boring music[/h]

Well, it's just opera overtures mostly, but boring, well rather ornamented ;-) BTW, some seemed to like it:

"An enjoyable disc, likely to be of great interest to Weber fans and to audiophiles.

Gavin Dixon" http://www.classical-cd-reviews.com/2011/08/weber-overtures-tapiola-sinfionietta.html

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

• 2 weeks later...
Playing now. It certainly has an impressive dynamic range, in the slow beginning you basically don't hear anything for the first two minutes if you don't crank up the volume. JRiver confirms this with a DR ranging from 13 to 19(!).

The dynamic range of this recording is borderline crazy in my view: it makes it almost necessary to play with the volume button. There can be too much of a good thing. Here is Foobar's log:

foobar2000 1.2.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2015-03-29 11:49:30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Netherlands Radio Choir / Ravel – Daphnis et Chloé (1-13)

Ravel, Maurice / Ravel – Daphnis et Chloé (14)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR13 -5.57 dB -26.15 dB 3:07 1/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 1. Introduction. Lent – Très modéré

DR15 -2.59 dB -25.32 dB 5:28 2/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 2. Danse religieuse. Modéré

DR14 -1.99 dB -27.51 dB 2:42 3/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 3. Danse des jeunes filles. Vif

DR16 -3.50 dB -26.85 dB 2:48 4/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 4. Danse grotesque de Dorcon. Vif – Plus modéré – Trés modéré – Pesant

DR16 -9.45 dB -31.47 dB 3:57 5/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 5. Danse légère et gracieuse de Daphnis. Assez lent – Animé – Vif

DR17 -0.16 dB -25.68 dB 4:04 6/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 6. Lyceion entre. Lent – moins lent – Très libre

DR14 -13.03 dB -34.98 dB 5:07 7/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 7. Nocturne

DR13 -5.83 dB -30.98 dB 2:33 8/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 8. Interlude

DR16 -0.16 dB -21.61 dB 4:33 9/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 9. Danse guerrière

DR18 -0.16 dB -26.46 dB 6:06 10/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 10. Danse suppliante de Chloé

DR15 -3.17 dB -26.56 dB 5:37 11/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 11. Lever du jour

DR18 -9.32 dB -34.92 dB 6:07 12/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 12. Pantomime

DR14 -0.16 dB -20.02 dB 4:48 13/14-(Daphnis et Chloé (complete ballet) (1909–12)) - 13. Danse générale

DR14 -12.38 dB -32.64 dB 6:30 14/14-Pavane pour une infante défunte (1899, orch. 1910)

Number of tracks: 14

Official DR value: DR15

Samplerate: 96000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 1960 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

Today's daily deal is a must have, Brautigam's vol. 3 of his Beethoven piano sonata cycle. At $9 for 24/44, absolutely worth getting.

eClassical - Beethoven - Complete works for solo piano, Vol.3

+1 on the recommendation. I got this album in high res from eClassical when it was one of their pre-Christmas offers. The pianoforte is captured very well. Much enjoyable in my opinion, though my preferred version of these sonatas remains Arrau's recording with Philips, in a completely different, more traditional style, on a grand piano.

April Fool special

Nonpareil trombonist Christian Lindberg plays the 4 Mozart horn concertos on the trombone. Excellence of the performances is not a joke. (Unlike the cover illustration and booklet notes.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Just received an email about a new highres offer, and it took me exactly 2 min to get out my credit card:

eClassical - Schumann: Violin Concerto

Pretty much everything here was motivating me to buy: I'm a big fan of Isabelle Faust as a soloist and in the trio combination with Melnikov and Queyras, and I also really like the Freiberger Barockorchester.

Schumann is a great composer, and I must admit I barely know his violin concerto (only have an old Mercury Living Presence with Szeryng).

Downloading now, will report back.