IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

Today two interesting offers at the same time:

Mendelssohn's Piano trios from the Sitkovetsky trio, for less than $9 for the 24/96 I'll probably get it, even though I already have the Florestan and Darlington versions.

eClassical - Mendelssohn ? Piano Trios

To quote Robert Von Bahr, who is more positive than average: "full of the joie-de-vivre and technical mastery"

And the "add-on" is top, only mentioned in the eclassical e-mail newsletter, the Songs without Words in the excellent 24/96 version with Roland Brautigam on Fortepiano. This is really an outstanding recording and surely worth the less than $10.

eClassical - Mendelssohn - Lieder ohne Worte, Books 1 - 4

Highly recommended!

The "daily super bargain" by the way is the four seasons played on flute. Seems to be quite well played, not sure I'd need to have that in my collection. If you like the four seasons, check it out:

eClassical - Vivaldi - The 4 Seasons

Today two interesting offers at the same time:

Mendelssohn's Piano trios from the Sitkovetsky trio, for less than $9 for the 24/96 I'll probably get it, even though I already have the Florestan and Darlington versions.

eClassical - Mendelssohn ? Piano Trios

To quote Robert Von Bahr, who is more positive than average: "full of the joie-de-vivre and technical mastery"

And the "add-on" is top, only mentioned in the eclassical e-mail newsletter, the Songs without Words in the excellent 24/96 version with Roland Brautigam on Fortepiano. This is really an outstanding recording and surely worth the less than $10.

eClassical - Mendelssohn - Lieder ohne Worte, Books 1 - 4

Highly recommended!

The "daily super bargain" by the way is the four seasons played on flute. Seems to be quite well played, not sure I'd need to have that in my collection. If you like the four seasons, check it out:

eClassical - Vivaldi - The 4 Seasons

Musicophile,

I'd be very grateful to know how you think the Mendelssohn compares if you do buy it. I don't have any other versions and am wavering about this. I've not heard the Sitkovetsky Trio. I noticed they got a decent review in Gramophone for their Czech disc but not so good for the Classical repertoire on their Wigmore recital disc.

Musicophile,

I'd be very grateful to know how you think the Mendelssohn compares if you do buy it. I don't have any other versions and am wavering about this. I've not heard the Sitkovetsky Trio. I noticed they got a decent review in Gramophone for their Czech disc but not so good for the Classical repertoire on their Wigmore recital disc.

I bought it. It's a compelling performance, compellingly played. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the sound design, though. It sounds like a CD, although it's (purportedly) a 24/96 FLAC. Strings have a nice presence, but the piano sounds DG all-the-way, if you know what I mean...

I bought it. It's a compelling performance, compellingly played. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the sound design, though. It sounds like a CD, although it's (purportedly) a 24/96 FLAC. Strings have a nice presence, but the piano sounds DG all-the-way, if you know what I mean...

Thanks for being the guinea pig.

After your report, I may hold off of the purchase, as I already have 4 versions (I just discover I have Ax/Ma/Perlman as well), and was just looking for an audiophile alternative, as BIS is usually doing a good job.

Sad to hear that this one is different.

I have the Sitkovetsky Trio's album of Czech music, and I have no complaints on the sound quality. Comparing the performance of the Dvorak with the Florestan Trio's recording, however, I find that while "full of the joie-de-vivre and technical mastery" may be an accurate description of the Sitkovetsky trio, in matters of musical sophistication — ability to shape a long phrase convincingly, respond to the harmonies and bring out the character of different sections — they are not in the same league with the Florestan. I would not expect their new recording to be essential for anyone who already has good recordings of the Mendelssohn trios.

I have the Sitkovetsky Trio's album of Czech music, and I have no complaints on the sound quality. Comparing the performance of the Dvorak with the Florestan Trio's recording, however, I find that while "full of the joie-de-vivre and technical mastery" may be an accurate description of the Sitkovetsky trio, in matters of musical sophistication — ability to shape a long phrase convincingly, respond to the harmonies and bring out the character of different sections — they are not in the same league with the Florestan. I would not expect their new recording to be essential for anyone who already has good recordings of the Mendelssohn trios.

Thanks. Agree, the Florestan trio is great, and the redbook recording of the Mendelssohn's has the usual good SQ from Hyperion. I'll skip this one then.

Thanks for this, which is really helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Technically neither eclassical nor a discount, but mentioning it here as Mendelssohn's trios seem to be popular these days:

Mendelssohn: Piano Trios Nos.1 & 2 | Felix Mendelssohn par Trio Dali – Télécharger et écouter l'album

The Dali trio also has recorded the Mendelssohn trios, just released in 24/88. Unfortunately full price at €14.99 for highres.

Back to classical and a real discount:

eClassical - Bach ? Lutheran Masses I

As usual with Suzuki, well played and even better recorded. A 24/96 for less than $10. These "smaller" masses may not be the b-minor, but they are certainly worth listening to.

Love this - bought it a few days ago and was going to mention it here or in Album of the Evening, but didn't get around to it. Would definitely recommend it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm downloading Suzuki's Lutheran Masses now. I'm eager to compare them to the only version in my collection until now: Pichon-Pygmalion on Alpha.

My only comparator for most of these rarely recorded works are the old Rilling recordings from the Haenssler Bach box.

In a nutshell, typical Suzuki: well played, nice vocal soloists, the only thing you can kind of criticize is the overly "perfectionist" / polished approach of the Japanese. That said, I like it a lot. Same goes for the works who really are true Bach, and worth being "discovered".

And obviously, as usual, BIS great sonics.

Please keep up posted on the Pichon comparison.

My only comparator for most of these rarely recorded works are the old Rilling recordings from the Haenssler Bach box.

In a nutshell, typical Suzuki: well played, nice vocal soloists, the only thing you can kind of criticize is the overly "perfectionist" / polished approach of the Japanese. That said, I like it a lot. Same goes for the works who really are true Bach, and worth being "discovered".

And obviously, as usual, BIS great sonics.

I'd be interested to know how they compare to the Christophers/Sixteen series, which I've started collecting. I don't think I can justify buying this first volume of Suzuki as there is a fair amount of duplication of the selections so far by Christophers.

I'd be interested to know how they compare to the Christophers/Sixteen series, which I've started collecting. I don't think I can justify buying this first volume of Suzuki as there is a fair amount of duplication of the selections so far by Christophers.

All of the Bach's Missae Breves would fit on 2 CDs. It would be quite impossible to avoid duplications...

All of the Bach's Missae Breves would fit on 2 CDs. It would be quite impossible to avoid duplications...

Thanks, yes I was forgetting there were no more to come from Christophers. I look forward to hearing from someone (or maybe a future Gramophone review) how they compare.

Suzuki and the Bach Collegium Japan are very good and recorded very well by BIS, as usual.

However, I very much Pichon and Pygmalion, because they are also very good, they are also very well recorded (by Alpha) and their version is more lively than Suzuki's. In the cantatas, I very much enjoy Suzuki's effort to generate ultra-smooth sound. However, in these short masses, I find that Suzuki's quest for smooth, ultra-clean sound results in a bit of boredom for me, whereas Pichon enlivens the text. Also, on Pichon's recording, there is a beautiful recorder, extremely well captured in the recording, which I find a very well thought choice.

To say the same with different words, with Suzuki's recording, I like what I hear, and I can do something else at the same time. With Pichon's, I want to listen to the individual singers and players, and I stop doing what I did.

Suzuki and the Bach Collegium Japan are very good and recorded very well by BIS, as usual.

However, I very much Pichon and Pygmalion, because they are also very good, they are also very well recorded (by Alpha) and their version is more lively than Suzuki's. In the cantatas, I very much enjoy Suzuki's effort to generate ultra-smooth sound. However, in these short masses, I find that Suzuki's quest for smooth, ultra-clean sound results in a bit of boredom for me, whereas Pichon enlivens the text. Also, on Pichon's recording, there is a beautiful recorder, extremely well captured in the recording, which I find a very well thought choice.

To say the same with different words, with Suzuki's recording, I like what I hear, and I can do something else at the same time. With Pichon's, I want to listen to the individual singers and players, and I stop doing what I did.

Agree, that's one of the issues I usually have with Suzuki. Just a tad too smooth. Will need to check out Pichon.

Just from listening to some comparative samples (a minute each) - Pichon's tempi are definitely faster, creating an impression of extra energy and excitement. Yet I find much to like about each rendition.

Edit: BTW, meant to mention: Pichon & Pygmalion Ensemble's recording of Rameau's Castor & Pollux is on sale at eClassical.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Agree, that's one of the issues I usually have with Suzuki. Just a tad too smooth. Will need to check out Pichon.

I recently realized that I much like his smooth touch on the cantatas, which I can otherwise find too rough. On the other hand, I am a bit less fond of this smoothing treatment when applied to pieces that sound more polished to start with, such as masses in Latin.

• 2 weeks later...

More out of curiosity I just listened to the latest Grieg piano concerto which is currently on offer by eclassical in 24/96, with Javier Perianes.

eClassical - Grieg: Piano Concerto & Lyric Pieces

To be fair, I didn't expect much, but I was really pleasantly surprised how good this recording was. Doesn't beat my reference version with Adnsnes, but thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

Today's special, Mozart's 24th and 25th by Brautigam and the Kölner Academie, does not get much love from David Hurwitz at ClassicsToday:

Mozart: Piano concertos Nos. 24 & 25?Brautigam SACD - Classics Today

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19187[/ATTACH]

As much as i appreciate Hurwitz, and I love the courage of a strong opinion, I don't really agree with his assessment. I have two other volumes of the concertos and prefer them over the two other period versions I have, namely Bilson and Bezuidenhout (although I love the latter for his solo Mozart). Guess all just a matter of taste.

Although I just spent €60 at Qobuz yesterday, at 5 bucks I'm in. Downloading now, thanks for flagging.

As much as i appreciate Hurwitz, and I love the courage of a strong opinion, I don't really agree with his assessment. I have two other volumes of the concertos and prefer them over the two other period versions I have, namely Bilson and Bezuidenhout (although I love the latter for his solo Mozart). Guess all just a matter of taste.

Although I just spent €60 at Qobuz yesterday, at 5 bucks I'm in. Downloading now, thanks for flagging.

Listening to it now. Just love the new drag/drop feature of Audirvana, no need to bother about tagging/converting flac etc first, used to take me ages before I could listen to a new album.

What I hear confirms my impression from the two other albums I have, and I totally disagree with Mr. Hurwitz.

By the way, others do as well:

Mozart: Piano Concertos No 24 and 25 / Brautigam, Willens, Die Kolner Akademie | ArkivMusic

Listening to it now. Just love the new drag/drop feature of Audirvana, no need to bother about tagging/converting flac etc first, used to take me ages before I could listen to a new album.

What I hear confirms my impression from the two other albums I have, and I totally disagree with Mr. Hurwitz.

By the way, others do as well:

Mozart: Piano Concertos No 24 and 25 / Brautigam, Willens, Die Kolner Akademie | ArkivMusic

I already own two volumes of this series. With David Hurwitz' post, I had managed to convince myself that I could skip this offer, but now after your post my fleeting resolve crashed, and I pressed the buy button. Downloading now...

I already own two volumes of this series. With David Hurwitz' post, I had managed to convince myself that I could skip this offer, but now after your post my fleeting resolve crashed, and I pressed the buy button. Downloading now...

The price of one large Starbucks coffee well spent.