IGNORED

Computer Audio Design OSX Audio Optimization Script

I don't understand some of these replies, are they being translated into english? Does this software work or not? does it screw up your computer? I'm an "audiophile" not a computer programer. Will it conflict with the Amarra " computer tweaking" software already installed?

I don't understand some of these replies, are they being translated into english? Does this software work or not? does it screw up your computer? I'm an "audiophile" not a computer programer. Will it conflict with the Amarra " computer tweaking" software already installed?

This would be a good argument for not using it until you do understand it.

Calling it "software" is kind of stretching things. It's a script (instructions to the computer that you can run any time you choose or automatically every time the computer boots if you want) to turn off lots of functions thought to be non-essential. But people's systems differ, and what can be turned off and cause no problem in one person's system may mess up something important in another person's system. That's why it's a bad idea to blindly go ahead and use this script unless you understand what functions are being turned off and whether your specific system might need one or more of these functions to operate as you want.

It could be possible, given more people and time, that ways to customize the script easily, either by having the user answer questions, or even automatically, might be designed. But we're not close to being there. The script is at this point completely manual and requires a fair amount of knowledge on the part of the user in order not to really mess things up. (Either that or a backup and the willingness to go through the time and trouble to install it onto a system that might not even boot up.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I assume you are on Yosemite. Did you use the previous (Mavericks) C.A.D. optimization script? If you are using your computer strictly as a music server, OK. It works for me without glitches, but it renders many operations on the Mac inert. For example, I had to comment out certain command lines in TextEdit. For example, it hides your desktop, so you can't see your mounted volumes, including your music files. I'm using a laptop, so that was a problem.

If you have also gone into your System Preferences and have minimized all that stuff (Spotlight, Languages, Notification Center, Energy Saver, Bluetooth, Time Machine, etc.), and are also using the Amarra optimizations, you probably don't need to add the C.A.D. scripts, too. I don't think you hear that much more improvement in SQ, and might create other problems with the computer.

I'm sorry to advise against the script

suffice you drop (part of the script):

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.accountsd.plist

and you're in trouble with ReportCrash going berserk

here's my updated Y tweaking scheme (not sure the CAD stuff at the end brought anything good but haven't found what's left of it to be harmful either so far ; the rest is approved for weeks):[ATTACH]18016[/ATTACH]

Thanks for letting us know about this. My machine is acting much better :)

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

...to turn off lots of functions thought to be non-essential. But people's systems differ, and what can be turned off and cause no problem in one person's system may mess up something important in another person's system.

After having made a clean install and applying the CAD script to Yosemite without any changes the Finder and the waste paper basket could no longer be used. Since no one else has reported this concerning Mavericks and Yosemite, it seems to me to have something to do with me using an iMac.

Apart from that SQ is very good (Scott and Damian, thank you very much).

One more point refers to Le Concombre Masqué´s suggestions. With the application of all of these I got very good results as to SQ,

b u t : After applying them it happened every once in a while, that shutdown did not complete. Only after having corrected user´s rights Y finished properly - for a while anyway. I´d like to know which command might be resposible for this behaviour?

Regards,

Uwe

After having made a clean install and applying the CAD script to Yosemite without any changes the Finder and the waste paper basket could no longer be used. Since no one else has reported this concerning Mavericks and Yosemite, it seems to me to have something to do with me using an iMac.

I alluded to this in my previous post. The script is hiding your desktop?

Open the OptimizeOSX v1.3 command script in TextEdit. Find and delete this, then save the script.

cecho "disabling desktop" $green

defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool FALSE

Capture d’écran 2015-04-13 à 07.55.17.jpgdon't forget to check Activity Monitor before and after the script : killing some processes trigger others and some tax the cpu. My machine is idling at 99.9 when not playing music and I'd rather have this and my #110 processes than half as much but with a higher cpu load. When I play music, very few operations are active, with brief appearances of launchd I have these only :just make sure that the script does not unleash ReportCrash or other panic processes

Thanks for letting us know about this. My machine is acting much better :)

Dave

Hi wwaldmanfan,

do we speak about the same point? In my case neither the Finder, nor the waste-paper basket could be opened.

Regards,

Uwe

Sorry, evidently not. I'm not running Yosemite. I don't need to open that can of worms.

In my case, on Mavericks with the unaltered script, the hidden deskop could be still revealed by opening a new finder window from the menu bar, showing the sidebar, then clicking on Desktop. A different problem than what you are describing.

Good luck.

Finder and the waste paper basket could no longer be used.

By commenting out:

this problem could be solved. For me (iMac) the new CAD script is now working without any glitches.

@wwaldmanfan

As I am waiting for the new fanless MacBook to arrive to be used as a music server alone could you please tell me, which lines you had to comment out for your laptop to work properly?

Regards,

Uwe

By commenting out:

this problem could be solved. For me (iMac) the new CAD script is now working without any glitches.

@wwaldmanfan

As I am waiting for the new fanless MacBook to arrive to be used as a music server alone could you please tell me, which lines you had to comment out for your laptop to work properly?

Regards,

Uwe

I am assuming that you are going to be running the latest Yosemite v10.10.3 on your new Mac. I must tell you that the C.A.D. script v1.3 for Yosemite did not function as expected on my MBP.

Unlike the older v.1.2.2 for Mavericks which reduced background processes and threads by 50% without degrading operating performance, the new script for Yosemite only reduced processes and threads by 25%, and more importantly, messed up my CPU, so that all my Finder operations like launching A+, opening volumes, expanding windows, pulling down menus, scrolling, etc. were severely impeded. Either the Finder did not respond at all, or I got the spinning beach ball.

I don't know why this is happening, but I can not use the computer like this. When I restore the OSX with the reset script and restart, all is well with Yosemite.

The good news is, that with "regular" Yosemite (no optimization), I still hear a substantial improvement in SQ over Mavericks. My advice to you is to run the script, and see what happens.

Perhaps the developers will comment if they see this post. If others have issues as well, maybe they can come up with a fix. If it is just me, I can live without using it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

i would like to use the 1.3 script on Mavericks, but it appears that my DAW Bitwig Studio won't start it's audio engine after i installed the script. Do you maybe know, wich part of the script could cause this?

There is also a demo of Bitwig Studio available, in case you wanna test your script with.

cheers

it appears that my DAW Bitwig Studio won't start it's audio engine after i installed the script.

Have you considered having separate systems/partitions for a regular Mavericks that does DAW and other stuff, and an optimized system for high end playback only ?

Then you would not have to worry about adapting the script, or impacting any of the particular uses for that machine. You would then only have to reboot the Mac to do whatever you need to do at that time.

Well, i would like to have the script working with my DAW actualy, since it's a realtime software any launchdeamons or backround tasks have the potential to disturb the audio stream and the performance.

I do see a benefit from using it with my DAW.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks - I'm kinda late to the party and pretty naive. Been using the CAD script on a MBP with Mavericks for awhile, but just switched to a MM with Yosemite, and would like to use Splashtop to run headless. However, the VNC doesn't work with the CAD optimization. Somewhere in this thread it's suggested to "comment out" three of the script lines as follows:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.alf.agent.plist 2>/dev/null

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.alf.useragent.plist 2>/dev/null

I'm presuming the "commenting out" is simply using TextEdit to add in " 2>/dev/null" at the end of each of these lines - then when the script is run again these lines are not enacted. Is this correct? The only text editing I've done previously has been strictly spelled out for me - so I apologize for the naivete. Any/all guidance welcomed.

Thanks.

Mac Mini (PCIe Flash; UpTone MMK; UpTone JS-2) -> SOtM sms-100 (HD-PLEX LPS) -> UpTone REGEN -> Berkeley Alpha USB/DAC -> Parasound JC-2/JC-1 -> Merlin VSM-MM w/ dual ACI subs.

Hi folks - I'm kinda late to the party and pretty naive. Been using the CAD script on a MBP with Mavericks for awhile, but just switched to a MM with Yosemite, and would like to use Splashtop to run headless. However, the VNC doesn't work with the CAD optimization. Somewhere in this thread it's suggested to "comment out" three of the script lines as follows:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.PrivilegeProxy.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.alf.agent.plist 2>/dev/null

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.alf.useragent.plist 2>/dev/null

I'm presuming the "commenting out" is simply using TextEdit to add in " 2>/dev/null" at the end of each of these lines - then when the script is run again these lines are not enacted. Is this correct? The only text editing I've done previously has been strictly spelled out for me - so I apologize for the naivete. Any/all guidance welcomed.

Thanks.

Hi LarBo,

Just put a # at the beginning of the line to comment that line out.

Damian

www.computeraudiodesign.com

Best Sound of Show winner – 2013 Bristol, UK Sound & Vision Show

CAD USB Cable, 30 day trial - Available NOW

Come see us at the Munich High End Show, Atrium 4, F215

Hi LarBo,

Just put a # at the beginning of the line to comment that line out.

Damian

Thanks Damian. Does it matter whether a space separates the # and the subsequent text in each line?

Did I understand you and others correctly that commenting out the three specific lines highlighted in my earlier post will likely restore VNC (e.g. splashtop) functionality?

Thanks again for your help - and sorry for my ignorance - am trying to learn.

Mac Mini (PCIe Flash; UpTone MMK; UpTone JS-2) -> SOtM sms-100 (HD-PLEX LPS) -> UpTone REGEN -> Berkeley Alpha USB/DAC -> Parasound JC-2/JC-1 -> Merlin VSM-MM w/ dual ACI subs.

Thanks Damian. Does it matter whether a space separates the # and the subsequent text in each line?

Did I understand you and others correctly that commenting out the three specific lines highlighted in my earlier post will likely restore VNC (e.g. splashtop) functionality?

Thanks again for your help - and sorry for my ignorance - am trying to learn.

A space (or not) doesn't matter - everything following the # until the line break is ignored.

It's good practice to put something like

#allow VNC#

so that you can easily find the changes you made in the future.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

Isn't there another Mac OSX Optimization that doesn't require A+ to run it's script afterward? I had one, but for some reason, I lost the app.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

a run only app? =:-/

"would be nice" to know where does this one come from and, even more, *what, exactly, it does*

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

True, but to be honest, I forgot where I got this. Here's a screenshot of the program:

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 10.36.39 AM.png

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.