IGNORED

Computer Audio Design OSX Audio Optimization Script

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for sharing your experiments and results. Can you please let us know what the commands were you used to shut down:

bookstroreagent, distnoted, tccd, aosnotified, pacemaker, applespellservice

Any others you looked into and perhaps tried, like?:

airportd

CloudKeyChainProxy

fontd

hidd - for seeing hidden files

softwareupdated

Cheers

Hi tranz,

I have to correct myself a bit: After having updated the OS to 10.9.5 it is not wise any longer to deactivate distnoted and tccd. Having done so with either of these the system booted to the Apple logo only. The same happened with hidd, no problem with softwareupdated and CloudKeyChainProxy.

fontd I have not tried yet. I won´t touch airportd, since I have to use it in my chain (streamer La Rosita Pi needs it).

As to the commands you have asked for:

I don´t use any. I double-click the service in question in the activity monitor to see where it is located and from there I put it into the dustbin. It´s a bit time-consuming, since after having done so I reboot to see what happens. If something goes wrong, nothing is lost. I reboot the main OS and from here copy the service to its exact location on the SD card (with my music OS), and after that you can boot from there again.

However sometimes it is necessary to let hidden files be shown. With Path Finder this is possible. I am not sure about Finder.

Maybe there is an easier way to achieve all this, so please tell me...

Cheers, Uwe

There are just under 50 processes that look to be possible contenders for the axe. Time for some experimentation...

I don´t want to bore you, but I sorted out 2 more services, that I could deactivate without killing my Music OS:

sharingd

UserEventAgent.

Concerning Parental Controls you can find it here: System - Library - PreferencePanes and put it into the dustbin. This way I got rid of all .prefPanes except:

Accounts

AppStore

Bluetooth

Displays

Dock

Mouse

Network

Sound

StartupDisk

With deactivating:

cfprefsd

Isbox

pboard

booting was no longer possible.

Cheers, Uwe

For the time being, processes, while playing music, have gone down to 67 with screencapture not counted. As can be seen by the smooth red line in the lower middle rectangle the system is pretty "calm". For "safety reasons" I have only touched my own processes ("Meine Prozesse"), not those of root.

Cheers, Uwe

Bildschirmfoto 2014-10-07 um 23.15.08.png

I don´t want to bore you, but I sorted out 2 more services, that I could deactivate without killing my Music OS:

sharingd

UserEventAgent.

Concerning Parental Controls you can find it here: System - Library - PreferencePanes and put it into the dustbin. This way I got rid of all .prefPanes except:

Accounts

AppStore

Bluetooth

Displays

Dock

Mouse

Network

Sound

StartupDisk

With deactivating:

cfprefsd

Isbox

pboard

booting was no longer possible.

Cheers, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

Thank you! Not boring at all. I am planning to use the same format if possible as the CAD script to unload prior to listening, but if I need to do anything else revert back to normal.

I though pboard (Copy Paste Clipboard function) was possible and so I had it on my list. Guess I can scratch that one.

Sharingd I will have to check as I use a Thunderbolt external and had initially ignored it.

This was the list of potentials I was looking at, but have NOT tested yet:

Activity Monitor

airportd

aosnotifyd

AppleSpell.service

apsd

backupd

backupd-helper

bookstoreagent

CalendarAgent

CloudKeychainProxy

cookied

cupsd

Dock

EscrowSecurityAlert

Finder

fontd

helpd

hidd

Image Capture Extension

imagent

IMDPersistenceAgent

installd

iTunes Helper

locationd

mdflagwriter

mDNSResponder

mds

mds_stores

mdworker

ntpd

ocspd

pacemaker

pboard

powerd

printtool

SleepServicesD

smcFanControl

SocialPushAgent

softwareupdated

spindump_agent

storeagent

suhelperd

systemstatsd

SystemUIServer

tccd

ubd

usbmuxd

UserEventAgent

WiFiKeychainProxy

I find it quick and simple to open terminal and use "ls -a" which shows all files.

There a lot of tools on OSX which allow you to see exactly what is going on. Randomly deleting things to "optimise" is a bit like hitting the OS with a big hammer and then checking to see if you broke it.

It's also worth noting that the CAD script hasn't been updated for mavericks and some file names have changed. You don't see the errors because they are piped to /dev/null by the script.

It's also worth noting that the CAD script hasn't been updated for mavericks...

pj, I don´t think you are right. On computeraudiodesign.com it says: "...This script has been tested using...Mavericks 10.9..." However I agree with you, that it hasn´t been updated for quite a time. Hopefully Scott is waiting for the release of Yosemite 10.10.

Cheers, Uwe

pj, I don´t think you are right. On computeraudiodesign.com it says: "...This script has been tested using...Mavericks 10.9..." However I agree with you, that it hasn´t been updated for quite a time. Hopefully Scott is waiting for the release of Yosemite 10.10.

Cheers, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for all the work you guys have done. We have released 2 new products in the past few months so work on the optimization scripts has just not been possible. I would like to do an update of the script for Mavericks - I will talk it over with Damian and see when we can fit that in.

For those of you in the UK we will be at the HiFi News show on the 1st/2nd of November. Stop by!

Best Regards,

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

Hi Scott:

I hope you have a very successful show next month.

I feel compelled to remind everyone that the CAD script is a labor of love on Damian and Scott's part since they are giving it away for free. As any of us who have gone through the trouble to extend it with further Launch Agent/Daemon unloads can attest, it is time-consuming process to experiment and test each one to be sure it does not break anything. And to make it usable/reliable by a wide range of users is even trickier.

Version 1.2.2 has been VERY stable and gets my Mavericks right down to 72 processes and under 300 threads at idle. That's darn good. And while in my system I can clearly hear about every 8 or so reductions in processes, I think it is going to take a lot of work to knock much more off and still have a system usable--even just as a dedicated music server. I look forward to all successful reports of such! I just no longer have the time for the trial and error tedium of doing it myself.

Best to all,

--Alex

Cheers, Uwe

The way the script is written you will never see an error message. The "2>/dev/null" appended to each command redirects the output of the command to a "black hole" (/dev/null) rather than the console so the user isn't bothered by pesky details like "file not found" information messages.

Compare the names of the .plist files in the LaunchDaemon and LaunchAgent directory with the file names that the CAD script attempts to disable. On a cursory examination I came across 4-5 that no longer match and if you try the launchctl command for these without the redirect to /dev/null you will get an error.

cheers

Paul

Compare the names of the .plist files in the LaunchDaemon and LaunchAgent directory with the file names that the CAD script attempts to disable. On a cursory examination I came across 4-5 that no longer match and if you try the launchctl command for these without the redirect to /dev/null you will get an error.

Paul: I think that is because the script is designed to be semi-unviversal in that it works for both Mountain Lion and Mavericks. I be those 4-5 you found are applicable to ML. And I am sure if you were running ML you would find some that were applicable only to Mavericks.

I would like to do an update of the script for Mavericks - I will talk it over with Damian and see when we can fit that in.

Hi Scott,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am looking forward to your update. Nonetheless, as Yosemite is on the verge of its release, could you imagine building a script for that too? I know I´m asking very much...

Thank you once again and all the best,

Uwe

Paul: I think that is because the script is designed to be semi-unviversal in that it works for both Mountain Lion and Mavericks. I be those 4-5 you found are applicable to ML. And I am sure if you were running ML you would find some that were applicable only to Mavericks.

It's also worth noting that the CAD script hasn't been updated for mavericks and some file names have changed. You don't see the errors because they are piped to /dev/null by the script.

Hi Alex,

The original comment I made was that some of the commands no longer worked in Mavericks. The script was written for Mountain Lion, so I would expect it worked as advertised on Mountain Lion.

The script is "semi-universal" to the point that things haven't changed between Mountain Lion and Mavericks still work. Or putting it another way, it is broken where Apple have altered things between Mountain Lion and Mavericks.

I've worked as a Mac System Admin and run BSD based mail servers for the last 15 years. I'd like to think I have a little bit of a clue what I'm talking about.

cheers

Paul

There are just under 50 processes that look to be possible contenders for the axe. Time for some experimentation...

Hi tranz,

I have done some more experimentations, maybe the last until Yosemite is released. I successfully deactivated these processes too:

com.appleaudio.Sandbox.Helper

dynamic pager

firmwaresyncd

networkd

networkd-privileged

By now there are about 336 threads and 60 processes running, while playing music using iTunes and La Rosita plugin.

I was not able to deactivate (without doing harm to the system)

fseventsd

sleepservicesd

You might deactivate sysmond, but will then lose the system monitor´s contents.

Just a reminder, that all this refers to my chain (iMac, SD card, separate network for music only with no ability for internet-connections --> Airport Express, La Rosita Pi streamer).

Regards, Uwe

Addendum: I could also deactivate:

autofsd

com.apple.audio.DriverHelper

com.apple.codeSigningHelper

com.apple.dock.extra.xpc

I was not successful with:

cfprefsd

mDNSResponder (which would deactivate the La Rosita plugin)

Now about 310 threads and 56 processes are running while music is playing.

Regards, Uwe

The one additional caveat I have is for those using JRemote or Jriver as a DLNA server, the CAD script on the Mac OS will stop JRemote from accessing your Mini. I have not narrowed it down to the culprit yet. But just in case you are tearing your hair out because JRemote is not working, this might be why...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Uwe,

Thanks for all the work you guys have done. We have released 2 new products in the past few months so work on the optimization scripts has just not been possible. I would like to do an update of the script for Mavericks - I will talk it over with Damian and see when we can fit that in.

For those of you in the UK we will be at the HiFi News show on the 1st/2nd of November. Stop by!

Best Regards,

Scott

+1, that would be very cool to update the script version to be able narrow down Maverick processes even further.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

It is my sincere hope that if Scott and Damian do generously decide to update/refine/extend the script (it is free so the work they do is not at all compensated), that they DO NOT try to make a single version applicable to both Mavericks and Yosemite. I feel strongly that, to avoid headaches for all, there ought to be separate scripts for the two major OS versions.

And we should have separate discussion threads as well. I have already been finding myself confused lately about if members here are talking about Mavericks or Yosemite.

Personally I am on hold right now and just listening to Mavericks at the stable 70 processes via current CAD script plus a couple of small tweaks (Sleep image, etc.). While I would love to take Mavericks down to 50 or below, I just don't have the time to compile all the recent suggestions (some from the other "from Scratch" thread) and test each out to be sure I don't lose Screen Sharing and network drive access.

Moreover, I am hearing great things from people here about the SQ from Yosemite, so I'll be watching to see collaboration (or individual heroic efforts) on trimming Yosemite down--and then I'll make the time and take the plunge!

Best to all,

--Alex C.

Hi,

I have tried the script and was impressed by how much smoother and grainless the sound became.

Is this script compatible with Boot Camp?

Best,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Hi,

I have tried the script and was impressed by how much smoother and grainless the sound became.

Is this script compatible with Boot Camp?

Best,

Ricardo

I've just realised that I had asked this same question a while back but completely forgot...time for a visit to the neurologist.

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I've just realised that I had asked this same question a while back but completely forgot...time for a visit to the neurologist.

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Maybe you are enjoying your system too much? : )

Glad you like it!

Yes, I really want to get another version out. We have 3 shows this month then things calm down...

If anyone is in Warsaw, Poland this weekend for the Audio Show stop by the Golden Tulip Hotel and say hi.

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

Yes, I really want to get another version out. We have 3 shows this month then things calm down...

If anyone is in Warsaw, Poland this weekend for the Audio Show stop by the Golden Tulip Hotel and say hi.

Good luck at the shows Scott! And I know of several Polish members here on the CA forum, so I bet you will run into a few.

Best,

Alex C.